Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you have a favorite hymn?

I grew up in a traditional Presbyterian church. The music was glorious, The choir could have been a professional choir. I have so many good memories and great emotional feeling from hearing them for the first 20 or so years of my life. Some hymns I still listen to today include Abide with Me and Eternal Father, Strong to Save.

What are some of your favorite hymns from your childhood?

by Anonymousreply 111June 30, 2024 9:40 AM

I come to the garden

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2023 2:41 AM

Wrong website.

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2023 2:41 AM

R2 No. You can still appreciate hymns despite not being religious.

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2023 2:46 AM

"His Eye Is On the Sparrow."

The soprano sang it at my mother's funeral. Not a dry eye in the house.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2023 2:52 AM

[quote] I come to the garden

I liked "I come on the gardener Jesus' face."

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2023 2:53 AM

Ave Maria if that's even a hymn. I don't know but it's beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2023 3:00 AM

Lord of the Dance (I Danced In The Morning), I think. Friend’s dad’s funeral, and people were shocked I could belt it.

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2023 3:01 AM

I am an atheist, but this version of Take My Hand, Precious Lord just did it for me. Go to 36:59

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2023 3:01 AM

Jerusalem I vow to thee, my country

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2023 3:03 AM

Forgot the double space

Jerusalem

I Vow to Thee, My Country

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2023 3:03 AM

The Golden City

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2023 3:04 AM

Jesus Dropped the Charges

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2023 3:21 AM

Oh, Lord, Won't You Buy Me a Mercedes Benz

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2023 3:39 AM

Is this a traditional hymn? Either way, I love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2023 3:43 AM

My Neck, My Back

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2023 4:05 AM

Amazing Grace

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2023 4:19 AM

Thank you, r8. Now I'll be watching Homefront for the next week or so.

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2023 4:20 AM

for hymns from childhood, it would be a tie between Holy, Holy, Holy and Blessed Assurance. They are both jubilant and triumphant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2023 5:28 AM

Of modern hymns, I like as an adult, my favorite is Our God, He is Alive. I like singing it for the harmonies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2023 5:34 AM

I am not a believer in any way, but was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school where we were mandated to sing!

The one hymn I've loved among many is an Easter hymn. Easter is supposed to be joyous, yet the hymn called "O Sons and Daughters" is a dirge, yet to me quite a beautiful one. It is a bunch of short verses with "Allelujia" repeated as the short chorus. I don't know if it is popular or obscure?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2023 5:36 AM

r20 here again.

We sang basically these lyrics but there are vastly different versions on the web.

"O sons and daughters, let us sing

Our King of Heav'n our glorious King

From death today rose triumphing, Allelujia!"

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2023 5:42 AM

Highway to Heaven

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2023 12:04 PM

Veni Creator Spiritus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2023 12:42 PM

Wow -- I sure can tell few of you were raised mainline Protestant or sang in the choir!

I have a zillion of them; and even though I came to my senses and became an atheist almost 20 years ago (thanks, DL!), I really miss singing good ol' church hymns in four-part harmony in the church choir. BTW, I started singing in the choir when I was four years old, and then added the school chorus later. I also sang in a college choir when I was teaching (they always need contraltos!) and in Catholic church choirs after I converted to Catholicism (another of my religious misadventures). So here are a few I really love.

What Wondrous Love is This

All Creatures of Our God and King

Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming

Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent

O Come O Come Emmanuel

O Sacred Head Now Wounded

I'm looking at an online list from the Methodist Hymnal now, and there are waaay too many that I love to list them here. Suffice it to say that I really miss singing them and I am afraid choirs singing with a massive pipe organ is a dying art, something else the evangelicals are killing. AFAIC, that's the only good thing about church.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2023 1:01 PM

“It Is Well With My Soul” and “Love Lifted Me” we always favorites of mine.

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2023 1:13 PM

The mainstay of any early 70s “guitar” mass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2023 1:38 PM

"A Mighty Fortress is Our God"

"Onward Christian Soldiers"

Not exactly favorites but at nine years old I didn't mind them as much as the others. Lutherans are fond of war analogies maybe because Martin Luther was such a.cunt.

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2023 2:22 PM

^^ r27 The white male patriarchy lining up cannon fodder to die in order to take over the world for white privileged colonial capital... marking as to war. Right. (Only partly kidding.... )

Come, Labor On (ora labora).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2023 2:41 PM

Looking For a City - the tradition at Cafe LaFitte in Exile in New Orleans, followed by the napkin toss to Love Is in the Air.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2023 3:03 PM

Probably “Great is Thy Faithfulness” from my childhood, though I also heard “Th Palms” recently (on a clip of Eisenhower’s funeral) and really, really loved it.

I also like the ones we’ve recently heard at UK state events, “Christ is Made the Sure Foundation”, “Love Divine, All Loves Excelling”, and especially “The Day Thou Gavest, Lord, is Ended”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2023 3:19 PM

"He Reached Down" is pretty hard to beat. Is it still a hymn if a folk singer wrote it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2023 3:24 PM

Consider The Lilies

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2023 3:25 PM

Ag Críost an Síol. It is particularly suited to funerals but I also seem to recall hearing it at weddings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2023 3:30 PM

R31 Iris Dement has a voice made for hymns...

Folk songs are the basis for a lot of hymns.

This, old Irish folk tune...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2023 3:31 PM

I have lots of favorite "hims."

by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2023 3:34 PM

It odd I was raised Catholic but all my life I felt nothing- nothing- from that dry, uninspired, and oppressive music. But during the summer we lived in our beach house- please- and pass midnight on a Saturday I would secretly listen to bluegrass music all night but at 5 this station played country gospel, and I heard such great hymns- felt closer to God.

All that said : " In The Garden", " Blessed Assurance" and " I Surrender All"- my clip is worthwhile just skip Oprah's bullshit- start at 4:00

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 31, 2023 3:39 PM

Beautiful Saviour has been used so many times by Holland for good reason. My HS Choir Master, from Dt Olaf's, said that the most beautiful choir music music is written in G. The Glory of the Episcopal y.

For plain old Southern Baptist easy to sing hymns for snake oil salesmen, I love Learning On The Everlasting Arm. Lilian Gish singing it in Night of the Hunter was a don't fuck with me moment.

by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2023 3:46 PM

Holland=Hollywood ^^^

by Anonymousreply 38July 31, 2023 3:48 PM

"Once In Royal David's City" is always nice.

by Anonymousreply 39July 31, 2023 3:50 PM

BibleThumperLounge

by Anonymousreply 40July 31, 2023 3:51 PM

R12 Too good not to hear: the O'Neal Twins - "Jesus Dropped the Charges"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 31, 2023 4:02 PM

[quote]Some hymns I still listen to today include . . . Eternal Father, Strong to Save.

Was your dad in the Navy? The "official" name of this hymn is Melita, the old name of the Isle of Malta, where St. Paul was shipwrecked for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 42July 31, 2023 4:07 PM

I assume this excludes hymns which are also Christmas carols, but I forgot about pastoral, Thanksgiving hymns. Singing “We Gather Together” may be one of my earliest memories from awful private school.

Also “Let Us Break Bread Together” was huge in the wind band world at least. The chromatic motion during that “when I fall on my knees…” bridge always moves me. This linked version isn’t great, but I played this same arrangement is both HS and college band. Great memories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 31, 2023 4:11 PM

R9 = Anglican

by Anonymousreply 44July 31, 2023 4:13 PM

I remember fondly a beloved Christmas hymn "In Old Judea." It was a call-and-response song( I hope that's the right term? ) Always lot of fun to sing, waiting for the other side to finish their line before you get to sing again.

When I was standing as a godfather, we were all sitting in church waiting to be called upfront. Various hymns had been played on the organ, but then one started and I almost lost it laughing. The first 10 or 12 notes was the opening of the old song "On Top of Old Smokey." I leaned forward in the pew to look to my left as the godmother looked to her right, directly at me, and mouthed the words "Don't you dare say a thing." No one else there assembled caught what we did. And we never did learn the name of the hymn.

The "Ave Maria" is a classic, and I'm sure a favorite of many. It always gave me chills when I'd hear my grandmother(a woman just about as non-religious as you could get, even though she was convent-educated) sing it, just once, every Christmas.

This same hymn was sung at the funeral for a child that had died at about 3 months. The soloist, who was excellent, saved it for the recessional. Up until then we were all fairly composed, she wasn't three or four bars into it and we all dissolved into tears. I think Attila the Hun himself would've wept, it's such a doleful tune(must be that minor key, or so I was told)

For sheer audacity and smiling-quietly-to -yourself-ness, it's hard to pick a better one than "The Spout Where the Glory Comes Out."

by Anonymousreply 45July 31, 2023 4:15 PM

[quote]Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent

CREEPIEST hymn of all time!!! Are you some kind of deranged Mormon cult leader?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 31, 2023 4:17 PM

I've always had a warm spot in my heart for хор мальчиков хорового

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 31, 2023 4:28 PM

R45, I think you talking about Blessed Assurance, which is in the same key and has a very similar first couple of measures.

by Anonymousreply 48July 31, 2023 7:55 PM

In the Sweet By and By. I actually like this arrangement in this video, despite the creepiness of the indoctrination it implies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 31, 2023 9:21 PM

Love lifted me

Love lifted me. Love lifted me. When nothing else would help, love lifted me.

by Anonymousreply 50July 31, 2023 9:24 PM

R49 They should be wearing life jackets.

by Anonymousreply 51August 1, 2023 11:48 AM

R49 Another version from PHC following a brief intro of Red River Valley. The Sweet By and By with Jearlyn, Lily, Lindsay, and Meryl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 2, 2023 4:30 PM

The Old Rugged Cross

Just As I Am

Abide With Me

It is Well With My Soul (and that one has quite a story)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 2, 2023 4:37 PM

Listen to the refrain of the naval hymn Eternal Father Strong to Save. It is like riding a swelling musical billows.

by Anonymousreply 54August 2, 2023 5:53 PM

'How Great Thou Art' !! I sing it to my partner every night.

by Anonymousreply 55August 2, 2023 5:55 PM

"The Lord of Sea and Sky" aka "Here I Am, Lord"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 2, 2023 6:13 PM

Christmas Eve mass. Snow is falling and everyone is singing Silent Night.

by Anonymousreply 57August 2, 2023 6:23 PM

"Whatsoever You Do." I think it's pretty terrible musically -- it was written in 1965, part of the "new wave" of Catholic music -- but the message really stayed with me from years of going to Catholic mass.

Whatsoever you do to the least of my people That you do unto me.

When I was hungry, you gave me to eat; When I was thirsty you gave me to drink. Now enter into the home of my Father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 2, 2023 6:25 PM

As an ex-Mormon, I used to enjoy, “We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet, To Guide Us In These Latter Days.”

by Anonymousreply 59August 2, 2023 6:28 PM

R59 good grief

by Anonymousreply 60August 2, 2023 6:34 PM

Thanks for the video R41!

by Anonymousreply 61August 2, 2023 9:18 PM

[quote] Christmas Eve mass. Snow is falling and everyone is singing Silent Night.

Link?

by Anonymousreply 62August 2, 2023 11:05 PM

Land of Rest

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing (BYU mixed chorus)

Be Still My Soul (check out David Archuleta singing this to the MTC)

by Anonymousreply 63August 3, 2023 12:35 AM

This Is My Father’s World. It was one of my late grandmother’s favorites. A hymn to the wonder of creation.

This is my Father's world / And to my listening ears / All nature sings and round me rings / The music of the spheres

by Anonymousreply 64August 3, 2023 12:40 AM

Be Not Afraid. Though it always reminds me of that scene in Dead Man Walking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 3, 2023 12:48 AM

Milk, milk, lemonade - around the corner, fudge is made

by Anonymousreply 66August 3, 2023 12:57 AM

Attending a Baptist boarding school meant daily church services, and therefore daily hymn singing. I haven't gone to church since I graduated high school, but every now and then while doing chores I'll bust out "At the Cross" or "Count Your Blessings" out of nowhere.

We used a hymnal published in the 1970s that included a couple of pop numbers among the traditional fare. This one was a favorite of the Christian kids at my school. Picture uptight teens channeling their inner Debbie Boone, with lots of passion, furrowed brows, and clenched fists. After the "shout it from the mountain top" line, they'd all cheer, "PRAISE GOD!" Good times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 3, 2023 6:51 AM

Old rugged cross

by Anonymousreply 68August 3, 2023 7:42 AM

I love this version (Horbury) of "Nearer my God to Thee ". Also "Oh God our help in ages past. "Lead Kindly light" and "Abide with Me" and "The Day Thou gavest Lord is ended" Anglicanism has its issues but the music is beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 4, 2023 4:29 AM

[quote] "His Eye Is On the Sparrow."

I love this version, R4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 4, 2023 7:44 AM

Jerusalem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 6, 2023 3:58 AM

Bumping this thread because tomorrow is Sunday

by Anonymousreply 72June 9, 2024 3:35 AM

Highway to Hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 9, 2024 3:44 AM

As a young man I made extra money as a paid ringer in various Episcopal and Catholic church choirs. Some of the older hymnals had great music, but I found the actual lyrics to be horrific ninety-nine times out of a hundred. So much blood and soldiers marching and warfare... No grace or poetry. Or subtlety. I also quickly learned that texts were interchangeable, and as I went from church to church you'd often hear the same words sung to entirely different hymn tunes. Finally, the publishers of hymnals are idiots. They put the hymns in four (or more) vocal parts, and print the text (from verse three on) on the bottom of the page. No one can follow the words and the music at the same time! When you're struggling to find the words and notes you don't pay any attention at all to what the text is saying, so singing is really just a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 74June 9, 2024 5:49 AM

This is a favorite of mine.

Saviour Like a Shepherd lead us

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 10, 2024 11:27 PM

I am not a Christian, but gospel music sung by Elvis can bring tears to my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 76June 10, 2024 11:35 PM

The original show tunes when there was only one show in town.

by Anonymousreply 77June 10, 2024 11:42 PM

Not really hymns but I always liked the Methodist doxology because I knew the words and it was short:

Praise God from whom all blessings flow Praise Him all creatures here below Praise Him above ye heavenly host Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Aaaaaaaameeeeeeennnnnn

by Anonymousreply 78June 10, 2024 11:47 PM

Oh, and the Gloria Patri. Also easy to memorize and also short.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 10, 2024 11:49 PM

I was raised Catholic. Droning dull hymns that all sounded the same.

by Anonymousreply 80June 10, 2024 11:55 PM

Another vote for The Old Rugged Cross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 10, 2024 11:59 PM

Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee

Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer

Moon River

by Anonymousreply 82June 11, 2024 12:02 AM

R76 = my Nana.

by Anonymousreply 83June 11, 2024 12:17 AM

In the Holy City

by Anonymousreply 84June 11, 2024 12:26 AM

Great is Thy Faithfulness

A Mighty Fortress is Our God

One Bread, One Body

I’ll Fly Away

by Anonymousreply 85June 11, 2024 12:26 AM

Wade in the water.

by Anonymousreply 86June 11, 2024 12:27 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 11, 2024 12:50 AM

One more, sorry:

Will the Circle Be Unbroken

by Anonymousreply 88June 11, 2024 1:06 AM

‘Guide me Thou O Great Jehovah

‘Blessed Assurance’ by CeCe Winans and the Fisk Jubilee Singers

‘In the Garden’ because my late husband loved it so.

by Anonymousreply 89June 11, 2024 1:12 AM

The Holy City

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 11, 2024 2:34 AM

"I'll Fly Away" (start at 1:14).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91June 11, 2024 2:50 AM

I'm not religious but Ave Maria is pretty. Not sure if it's considered a hymm.

by Anonymousreply 92June 11, 2024 2:53 AM

I was just listening to a 3 CD set of Elvis' complete gospel tracks.

the outtakes, and repartee with the Jordanaires and musicians, etc is so much fun.

it really gave me a new appreciation of Elvis, his roots in gospel, etc.

Joshua fit the Battle of Jericho is one I hadn't thought about in decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 11, 2024 3:05 AM

If Thee Love Me

by Anonymousreply 94June 11, 2024 3:37 AM

Too many people, but no dataloungers, ha ve picked Onward Christian Soldiers

by Anonymousreply 95June 11, 2024 3:49 AM

You don’t have to be fire and brimstone minded to recognize and appreciate beautiful music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 11, 2024 3:52 AM

Another choral version of If Ye Love Me.

I think royal weddings have included this hymn.

But no matter. It’s transcendent; it stands alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 11, 2024 4:10 AM

R93 Elvis could sing anything and sound good.

by Anonymousreply 98June 11, 2024 4:21 AM

“It is Well With My Soul” played at the end of my great Uncle Richards funeral. While he was a pain in the ass, his death was the beginning of a die off for our depression babies.

The pain and anguish on my old relatives’ faces as they sang changed me. This is a harsh existence.

by Anonymousreply 99June 11, 2024 5:02 AM

Sweet fucking Christ on a cross, no, I don't have a favorite hymn.

by Anonymousreply 100June 11, 2024 7:29 AM

[quote]"Whatsoever You Do." I think it's pretty terrible musically -- it was written in 1965, part of the "new wave" of Catholic music -- but the message really stayed with me from years of going to Catholic mass.

Boy, does that take me back. I haven't thought about that song in years but yes, we sang it a lot.

I liked "O Come O Come Emmanuel" and "Hail Holy Queen Enthroned Above."

by Anonymousreply 101June 11, 2024 7:57 AM

It's replies like r13 that keeps me coming back to the DL.

by Anonymousreply 102June 11, 2024 11:20 AM

I love the Atlanta Gay Men’s Chorus singing Biebl’s ‘Ava Maria’.

by Anonymousreply 103June 11, 2024 11:40 AM

The Marines Hymn

by Anonymousreply 104June 11, 2024 11:44 AM

R96 the fire and brimstone types are the least appreciative of gospel music.

by Anonymousreply 105June 11, 2024 11:51 AM

Always look forward to Easter mass so that I can sing my favorite hymn:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 11, 2024 1:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 30, 2024 1:33 AM

This is so beautiful -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108June 30, 2024 2:19 AM

lovely

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 30, 2024 3:25 AM

There is a happy land(far far away)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 30, 2024 8:37 AM

I hope that I will be able to arrange to have this hymn played for my mother's funeral. I think I know enough musicians to make this possible, but obviously a soprano would have to substitute for the boy's choir. My mom is 102 and will probably drift into her final days sometime this year, although she is in surprising health. She has always been wise, kind and gracious. Complete strangers unburden themselves to her because she listens with complete attention and without judgement and the world will be a much crueler place without her presence in it. She is religious and I'm not, but I hope the words to this song will be true for her. The music itself is ethereal, and gently optimistic and ends in a way that feels as though the angels have taken someone by the hand and led her into heaven. Traditionally, this hymn from the requiem mass would be sung as the casket is being carried out of the church on the way to the burial grounds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111June 30, 2024 9:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!