Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sean William Scott earned only $8000 for American Pie

In this new era of actors’ financial transparency, actor Seann William Scott has revealed the paltry amount he was paid to appear in 1999 hit comedy American Pie.

Scott told TV chat show host Rick Elsen that he earned $8,000 for his work on the movie, which went on to make $235million at the box office.

The actor revealed in the interview that it “was a lot of money for me at the time” and revealed he’d splashed out.

“I remember afterwards I bought a used Thunderbird for like $5000 or maybe $6000, I’m like, ‘Oh yeah, baby’,” he said. “I don’t know what happened to the other $2000 because I ended up having to work at the LA Zoo as a churro guy, so maybe it was even less than $8000.”

Scott, who hails from Minnesota, played the role of wild lacrosse player Steve Stifler, aka Stifmeister. Scott continued working with the hit sex teen comedy franchise, going on to earn a reported $5million for his role in 2012 American Reunion. He recently filmed a DoorDash commercial in character, alongside co-star Jason Biggs.

He has also appeared in films Dude Where’s My Car (2000), Final Destination (2000), Road Trip (2000), Evolution (2001), The Dukes of Hazzard (2005), Mr Woodcock (2007) and Role Models (2008). He has voiced the character of Crash in four Ice Age animated feature films and two Ice Age television specials.

Alongside Scott and Biggs, the franchise also starred Eugene Levy, Chris Klein, Alyson Hannigan, Natasha Lyonne, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Tara Reid, Mena Suvari, Eddie Kaye Thomas and Jennifer Coolidge.

Scott revealed at a recent Comicbook.com that talks are happening for a fifth sequel to the original film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 30, 2023 11:39 AM

I would eat his ass all nite long.

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2023 6:09 PM

So the movie made $235 million, and the show's biggest star made only $8000?

Something is seriously wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2023 6:12 PM

American Pie was a small indie film that became a sleeper smash through word of mouth. No one knew it was gonna be a hit.

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2023 6:12 PM

R2 none of them were stars when they filmed the first film lmao. Wtf.

by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2023 6:13 PM

So, it was proportionate to his talent?

by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2023 6:15 PM

Probably would have been more if he'd gotten his dick out on camera instead of in the Producer's office.

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2023 6:17 PM

Just remember this when folks tell casting couch stories. Hot young people, underpaid, and desperate for fame, in expensive LA. Even if it's not for a part, I'm sure there are loads of wealthy people more than happy to help "support" hot young actors at the start of their fame. If $8k could get him excited, imagine what $5k for a trip can get ya.

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2023 6:19 PM

[quote]If $8k could get him excited, imagine what $5k for a trip can get ya.

He obviously chose to sell churros instead.

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2023 6:23 PM

These were all very young unknown actors. Did you think they would get paid millions for this? I mean come on. It was a low budget film made for $11 million dollars, which included the promotional cost. It opened with $18 million dollars, shocking everyone (it was projected to make around $10 million it’s opening weekend) and with word of mouth had legs.

It catapulted its cast to stardom. They weren’t stars yet. They were paid a lot more for the sequels.

by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2023 6:23 PM

Now I understand why Chris Klein dropped out of American Wedding.

I heard it was a money negotiation, and I don't blame him for not wanting to be taken advantage of again.

by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2023 6:26 PM

R10 I heard he was not invited to do it.

by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2023 6:29 PM

Klein has said it was the script and his character had very little to do. Code for failed money negotiations. There’d be no reason to not invite him back and break up the original group of guys. He came back and did the other ones.

by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2023 6:51 PM

They didn’t invite him back.

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2023 6:54 PM

Thank goodness he has The Rock to console him.

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2023 7:33 PM

Is The Rock banging SWS's hole, R14??

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2023 7:39 PM

And now the most important... when will he finally come out?

by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2023 7:41 PM

[quote] Just remember this when folks tell casting couch stories. Hot young people, underpaid, and desperate for fame, in expensive LA. Even if it's not for a part, I'm sure there are loads of wealthy people more than happy to help "support" hot young actors at the start of their fame

I guess this would explain why Sean William Scott was involved with that very shady group, when he was still an unknown actor.

I won't go into details, but it's not a nice story.

by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2023 7:43 PM

As others have said these were unknown actors doing a small movie.

Do people think unknown actors get paid millions of dollars? If are a no one you would typically get paid SAG minimums. Then as you become successful your agent can negotiate for higher salaries

I'm completely for both the writers and actors strike, but let's not start talking nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2023 7:48 PM

We have an opening for you, Seann.

by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2023 8:11 PM

[quote]He obviously chose to sell churros instead.

Is that what he calls it?

by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2023 8:17 PM

That's OK, OP. Everyone knows he made his living procuring young actors for closeted moguls and Hollywood power brokers. Oh, and like many actors, he also sold drugs. Getting paid for acting to him was like you finding $20 in your winter coat.

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2023 8:20 PM

SWS must be hurting for money again, because he's doing a food delivery commercial with Jason Biggs.

by Anonymousreply 22July 29, 2023 11:05 PM

$8,000 for what was probably about a month’s work wasn’t bad pay, especially 25 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2023 11:31 PM

[quote]SWS must be hurting for money again, because he's doing a food delivery commercial with Jason Biggs.

You'll know he's REALLY hurting when he actually starts doing food delivery.

by Anonymousreply 24July 30, 2023 12:24 AM

Is that why he was forced to become a gay pimp?

by Anonymousreply 25July 30, 2023 12:28 AM

Dude Where's My Tongue?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 30, 2023 12:33 AM

$8k was appropriate at the time for that movie and for someone at his experience level. All these attempts by actors recently of using highly selective facts to create a picture of being extremely underpaid is getting ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 27July 30, 2023 12:34 AM

It’s crazy how that kiss in a throwaway dumb comedy was more passionate and realistic than in any gay film of the time. Heath and Jake looked like they were pissed as they smashed their faces together in Brokeback Mountain. Probably needed dental work after.

by Anonymousreply 28July 30, 2023 12:39 AM

R28 what kiss?

by Anonymousreply 29July 30, 2023 12:41 AM

Forgot to tag r26, r29

by Anonymousreply 30July 30, 2023 12:44 AM

Audition for Helix Studios

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 30, 2023 2:57 AM

[quote]I'm completely for both the writers and actors strike, but let's not start talking nonsense.

This story resurfaced as a, "this is why we strike" thing but the interview it came from was done a while ago and wasn't about that at all.

He made, possibly 8,000 to do the movie but he did get residuals after it came out. Movies back then stayed in theaters longer and then ended up being released on DVD and cable.

This story should be framed as, for an actor today, that movie would have had a short theater run and then come out on streaming and they would have made barely anything for residuals. Or it would have been released on streaming from the start and they would have gotten barely gotten anything other than the initial payment.

by Anonymousreply 32July 30, 2023 3:08 AM

[quote] This story resurfaced as a, "this is why we strike" thing but the interview it came from was done a while ago and wasn't about that at all.

You industry people are smart.

I just read this as a regular celebrity article, but now that you mention it, I guess the story really is propaganda for the Writer's Strike.

I guess I'm just naive.

by Anonymousreply 33July 30, 2023 11:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!