Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

You Hurt My Feelings

The new Julia Louis-Dreyfus movie about a writer who overhears her husband’s real opinion about her work. This was a great movie for intelligent adults, like they made in the 90s. She might get at least a Golden Globe nod. It’s not Oscar-level though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 28, 2024 12:44 AM

OP, thanks for posting about this, it looks really good. Hopefully, Oppenheimer and Barbie are hopefully pointing to a trend of more intelligent, sophisticated movies coming back into prominence.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2023 7:01 PM

I've seen the trailer for this on Prime and it looked good-ish. I'll give it a go, thanks for the rec.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2023 7:02 PM

R1 Barbie? Extremist ideology agenda flicks are neither intelligent or sophisticated.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2023 7:09 PM

I saw it in the theater and really liked it. It's a small, quieter movie. The target audience is probably matching the protagonists' age (mine).

And I liked that Louis-Dreyfus for once played a character who isn't cynical. Her character was vulnerable and played it really well.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2023 7:16 PM

Boring as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2023 7:28 PM

R5 go watch Barbie, you fucking YAAASSSSS KWEEN.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2023 7:29 PM

I don't care that it is with JLD, it is with Tobias Menzies though.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2023 7:30 PM

R7 your emotions are not conveying. Please explicate.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2023 7:31 PM

R5 go away, adults are talking.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2023 7:32 PM

It took me a minute to realize that’s David Cross and Amber Tamblyn talking to the husband. She’s really put on the pounds since her General Hospital days.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2023 7:33 PM

I used to get my feelings hurt all of the time. Not anymore. I’ve got a bulletproof heart. Nobody is gonna hurt baby again.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2023 7:43 PM

EG here. I really enjoyed this movie and laughed a lot. It's plot is pretty sitcommy but the jokes and performances rise above it.

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2023 6:01 PM

That plotline was in the first season of White Lotus. Remember the new bride writer and her uptight new husband? Her feelings got crushed. CRUSHED, I tell you.

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2023 6:06 PM

The actress who played Julia's sister, Michaela Watkins, was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2023 6:39 PM

Just finished a Veep rewatch that inspired a new love for JLD's depth and brilliance. Looking forward to seeing this one.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2023 1:57 PM

I want to see Barbie to see what exactly triggered some of you bitches SO MUCH.

by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2023 2:06 PM

R3 Barbie conveying "extremist" ideology? Ok, do tell, open your dark heart and tell us what that means to you.

by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2023 2:10 PM

I haven’t seen this yet, and I’ve been dying to. Nicole Holofcener Is such an underrated filmmaker; I love her movies.

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2023 6:39 PM

I also saw it in the theater and loved it. Well written and great performances all around.

by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2023 6:55 PM

R18 'Lovely and Amazing' and 'Friends With Money' are both really good and well cast.

Grown-up style movies.

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2023 7:11 PM

I liked the movie, but couldn't help but think both of the main characters are rather shallow and self-centered, spoiled people. The audience isn't privy to any of her writing samples so we can't judge if she is a good writer - it's assumed that she may be because of the memoir. Now a few people hate this new book, why?

Her husband, on the other hand, is firstly shown as a fairly ineffective therapist. When he gets called out on it and his ineffectiveness by the scene-stealing couple of Cross/Tamblyn, he wakes up to the fact that he indeed, may suck. He changes his approach with his other male client who isn't facing the fact he needs to do something for his siblings and stop whining.

They seem like helicopter parents - their adult but young son seems messed up. Can we live up to their supposed success and be his own person? That's a good theme and true in families.

I felt like the whole cast screamed NEW YORK PRIVILEGE so I didn't really relate to a lot of it. Loved the sister and her husband characters but even they were very privileged. Should we all be so lucky so have a later start career as a decorator and a maybe trying actor but it's ok if that doesn't work because there's still family money. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 21September 28, 2023 4:45 PM

Love Nicole Holofcener and I'm waiting for to pop up for free on Prime or cable.

by Anonymousreply 22September 28, 2023 6:48 PM

I've liked all of Nicole's films except the one with Ben Mendelson - The Land of Steady Habits.

by Anonymousreply 23September 28, 2023 7:02 PM

[quote] I liked the movie, but couldn't help but think both of the main characters are rather shallow and self-centered, spoiled people.

I’m in!

by Anonymousreply 24September 28, 2023 7:03 PM

R6 How reductive of you. One is a Yass Queen because he or she found this boring? Low iq imbecile.

Anyways I absolutely want to see this film.

by Anonymousreply 25September 28, 2023 8:00 PM

R21 Nicole Holofcener's movies tend to be set within tiny bubbles of white privilege. Don't look for a black person because you will find nary a POC in her films--I'm not saying this is a negative thing, but I think a lot of her source material is autobiographical / "write what you know". Which works, but doesn't necessarily translate to universal relatability.

I love that Holofcener uses the same actors over and over again. A pre-existing relationship between actor and director allows for better performances, I think. JLD was sooo terrific in Enough Said and it looks like she's bringing her A-Game to this one.

by Anonymousreply 26September 28, 2023 8:17 PM

I enjoyed it but not as good as Nicole Holfencer’s other movies.

by Anonymousreply 27September 28, 2023 8:54 PM

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 28September 28, 2023 8:58 PM

Does JLD mug through the whole thing as that seems all she knows how to do.

by Anonymousreply 29September 28, 2023 8:59 PM

It’s more like she shrugs through the whole thing…

by Anonymousreply 30September 28, 2023 9:04 PM

I loved it and Jeannie Berlin was great as the mother.

by Anonymousreply 31February 28, 2024 12:32 AM

You hurt my asshole

by Anonymousreply 32February 28, 2024 12:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!