Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Slim fit pants

What is the fit like in slim fit men’s pants? I’ve lost 15 lbs and I’m able to comfortably wear a pair of 501 jeans. I bought them as a dieting goal. Is the fit comparable? I’m also 67 years old. Is wearing slim fit clothing at my age appropriate?

by Anonymousreply 76August 5, 2023 11:48 PM

No, the fit is not the same. Don’t do it & stick to the 501s.

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2023 8:42 PM

It looks ridiculous except on twinks and the like.

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2023 8:44 PM

If you carry any extra weight around your upped body/abdomen (and I do) OP, slim fit pants are not your friend. Find a straight cut that is not voluminous but not tight-fitting.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2023 8:45 PM

And "slim fit" is losing its moment. Wider legs and more fabric is what "the kids" are wearing.

I mean don't go for Harry Styles culottes (few older men can nor should try to adopt extreme fashions), stay classic.

501s are classic. Good for any year and any body.

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2023 8:46 PM

I don’t think it’s your age but the shape you’re in and how tall you are. If your height is proportionate to your weight than you can wear anything. If you’re a short man than the more tailored your clothes the taller you’ll look. Baggy, loose clothes would make you look shorter. I say go for it. Don’t wear trendy clothes but classic, slim fit ones that will enhance your new physique.

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2023 8:47 PM

Thank goodness, R4. The tapered legs with high breaks look is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2023 8:48 PM

Just because you have lost weight does not mean everything has to hug your body.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2023 8:50 PM

Tread carefully, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2023 8:52 PM

You’ve lost 15 fucking pounds; wear all the things!

You are fucking fabulous, OP!

Yay, You! Don’t eat any feelings. Stop feeling.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2023 8:53 PM

Yaaaaaaas qweeeeeen!

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2023 8:54 PM

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I think I’ll stay away from slim fit. I’m 6’4” and I’ve been working with a trainer for nine months. I look great but I don’t want to look like I’m chasing after my youth. I’m done with that.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2023 9:08 PM

Have fun with this and try things on, OP, even if this means sending some online purchases back. When you find flattering cuts, it's worth it!

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2023 9:12 PM

Yeah, slim / skinny fit pants look ridiculous on most men, they make any man who isn't twink-thin look disproportionately top-heavy, and they even look awful on most young men, they make all the "skinny-fat" college boys in this town look more out of shape than they do in baggy things.

And baggy things does seem to be the trend, I looked up "Menswear trends 2024", and these are the sort of suits that came up. Looser pants, and I'm fine with that, the girls have been wearing loose pants for a bit now and the good quality ones look graceful and flowing in movement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2023 9:17 PM

There’s a big difference between slim fit and skinny fit. Slim fit is just cut more tailored. Skinny jeans are very tight and most guys look ridiculous in them unless they’re 18. I say stay away from skinny fit clothes but slim fit ones would work great with your new shape.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2023 10:15 PM

Now if only washes would get darker again. I hate the super light washes, or overly labored distressed looks. Clean lines, which darker tones elongate always look smart.

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2023 10:28 PM

I was thinking about posting about this issue. I have skinny legs and a 33 inch waist. I can't seem to find anything that not too tight or to loose. Any suggestions? I think the 501s/505s are too baggy and looks very 90s to me.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2023 11:03 PM

Who needs slim fit when you can go for yoga pants!?

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2023 11:06 PM

“Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life, so you bought some sweatpants.”

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2023 11:30 PM

In jeans I like 501 slim taper (They say 501 ST on the label) jeans. These are NOT skinny jeans. What I like about them is that they are slightly stretchy in the waist, which is not true of traditional 501s. I can wear traditional 501s but if they are not broken in, I have to wear a waist size 33. However, then the rest of the jean fit is not right or flattering. With the slim taper jeans, I can wear a 32 waist and the rest of the jean fits properly. (Hugs the ass and all the things that jeans are supposed to do). The legs are not noticeably tight against my legs, but they are a little more tapered at the ankle than traditional 501s. I'll link a few pics. I was VERY happy when I discovered these, but they are difficult to find.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2023 11:46 PM

And here's a side view

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2023 11:48 PM

Try them on OP , you are tall enough they might look great on you.. Ask the salesclerk what he or she thinks.

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2023 11:50 PM

R11 I lost weight and had a very nice body for the first time in my life about 20 years ago. I went through this phase where I bought everything I tried on because it all fit and looked good. It was a revelation. I mean, in retrospect I should have just worn a white tee and jeans because everything looked good on me so why bother? But no…I went down the clothing-blind / slim fit path and I remember buying tons of Helmut Lang jeans in Barneys Coop as well as Zara which had previously rode too high up my ass not to mention a bunch of “look at my pecs!” / “look at my biceps” shirts.

However…I had an epiphany / gave myself an intervention when I spontaneously stopped by a Swedish brand’s boutique in Soho. All the sales staff were extra tall and extra lanky and looked like mid-1970s era ABBA. I tried on slim fit trousers that had a fashion forward slight BELL—lol—bottom. Bell bottom. Yes.

The salesperson was waiting for me outside the fitting room and “oohed” and “aahed” but when I looked in the mirror standing next to Sven or Bjorn I looked like a fire hydrant…or, to quote Steel Magnolias, like two pigs fighting under a blanket. I’m 5’ 11” and was then 34 or 35 but I looked ridiculous and was not the intended customer. I mostly bought good shoes after that!

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2023 12:41 AM

J went got it I bought a pair of Banana Republic slim fit pants on eBay!

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2023 12:46 AM

I'm thin and love baggy clothes. Slim fit and skinny jeans are too tight. I dress for comfort.

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2023 12:49 AM

Gurl no! You're trying to hard! Skinny Jeans are for the young! They will not look good on you even with Spanx.

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2023 1:01 AM

Older men lose bulk in their thighs. If you still have some bulk in your thighs, then slim fit might look okay. If you now have skinny thighs, you might be able to wear slim fit, but in a light color. (Light colors do make you look bigger.)

If you have a large abdomen and skinny legs, then I wouldn't advise slim fit pants.

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2023 1:20 AM

Spoke lets you choose your leg width separately from waist and length. Start with sale pants if you can, or try the Fit Finder (which was accurate for me).

The colors are really fun!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2023 1:35 AM

Try the slim jeans on in a shop. Sheesh! IS EVERYONE COMPLETELY RETARDED NOWADAYS?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2023 4:25 AM

Slim jeans fit nice and tight. Just ask Jimmy, Will and Christina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 24, 2023 4:35 AM

It's not skin tight if you get the right waist size and you are in fact physically slim. I wear only slim fit pants and other than some t-shirts, wear slim fit shirts. It's less fabric and you can avoid the baggy look. Obviously, if a person is trying on slim fit pants and they feel tight, then their body is not physically slim and they shouldn't be fooling themselves into thinking they could get away with slim fit. FYI, slim and skinny fit are very different. The skinny fit will be skin tight.

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2023 8:34 AM

I posted above and have since gone shopping in many stores to find the right fit. I decided on Levi's 511. Slimmer cut but not too tight. Almost went with 505s but they were just too baggy under my ass. They come in the dark blue so I don't look like a eldergay trying to look younger in faded and/or distressed jeans. $50 each.

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2023 11:06 AM

Great price R31. 511's are very nice and have a modern edge. Nice colors. Not too over the top. Good choice.

I'm impressed.

by Anonymousreply 32July 29, 2023 11:17 AM

That's such a hot eighties look R19/R20. I wore those in the late eighties.

by Anonymousreply 33July 29, 2023 11:19 AM

Slim Fit and Skinny Fit are two different things. There is also Ultra Skinny which just looks like painted on skin. Slim just means the pants are going to be more tailored through the leg, at the knee and at the cuff. Different stores have different definitions of Slim and Skinny. Some slim fit pants from certain stores are downright baggy on me. The best Slim Fit pants I have come across are Uniqlo's Ultra Stretch Color Jeans. They are flattering and they have a little stretch so they move when you bend and sit. They come in S M L XL sizing and different colors every season. They wash very well and last forever. And as far as men's clothing goes, they are inexpensive and you can sometimes get seasonal colors on sale for $19. I think slim fit pants look very smart on men, older men in particular. I wouldn't go crazy with the wide-leg trend going on now. It looks great on teens and younger men, but it just makes older men look like they are trying too hard. And full leg pants make older men look like boring dads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 29, 2023 1:14 PM

[quote] I went through this phase where I bought everything I tried on because it all fit and looked good. It was a revelation. I mean, in retrospect I should have just worn a white tee and jeans because everything looked good on me so why bother? But no…I went down the clothing-blind / slim fit path and I remember buying tons of Helmut Lang jeans in Barneys Coop as well as Zara which had previously rode too high up my ass not to mention a bunch of “look at my pecs!” / “look at my biceps” shirts.

Say you have a lot of money without saying you have a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 35July 29, 2023 1:29 PM

R31 Were you at the Army/Navy store?

by Anonymousreply 36July 29, 2023 1:31 PM

you can buy a waist inch above or two and they are over all looser.

depends on the pants! i hate having to try everything on now.

by Anonymousreply 37July 29, 2023 1:39 PM

Dude, go to Zumies, get some baggies and a hoodie, some Vans, and a Santa Cruz baseball hat and wear it backwards.

by Anonymousreply 38July 29, 2023 1:41 PM

^ fattie triggered by the word "slim."

by Anonymousreply 39July 29, 2023 1:47 PM

Congrats on losing the weight! I say wear whatever makes you happy, life is short!

by Anonymousreply 40July 29, 2023 1:52 PM

R39 Looking into his crystal ball with his one good eye

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2023 1:54 PM

truth hurts, fattie, fattie boo-boo?

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2023 2:13 PM

R16

Take a look at Wrangler Men's 0936 Cowboy Cut Slim Fit Jeans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2023 2:24 PM

American clothes are getting so big that slim fit is a must for me.

I bought a shirt this winter in size medium, and I’m 5’9” with some muscles in the chest and shoulders. The thing is like a tent. There is room for a full-term pregnancy around my mid-section.

This is not unusual for me. I have to go some a size to avoid this situation. I buy smalls (and I’m not a small) that are far too big in me.

by Anonymousreply 44July 29, 2023 2:30 PM

R43: hot!

I love cowboys in their Wranglers.

by Anonymousreply 45July 29, 2023 2:59 PM

R14 makes a key point. The look at present is tailored and fitted.

Slim fit is fine. Just don't pick a size you have to squeeze into.

by Anonymousreply 46July 29, 2023 3:07 PM

R42 Why do you keep falling me fattie, troll? How do you get that from my joking post about Zumies and young guys' clothes? It doesn't even make sense. And I'm not a fattie, but I think you've been smoking a fattie.

by Anonymousreply 47July 29, 2023 6:08 PM

*calling me

by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2023 6:08 PM

OP I must have bought every make of jeans there is since I was a young teenager. I have found the best jeans for older men are Levi’s 502. I hadn’t worn Levi’s for 35 years but these ones are great. They are slightly tapered to give a more modern look, but definitely not skinny or tight. They usually have 1% elastic 99% cotton. Older men look silly in skinny jeans, those that cling to the calf.

Also go with a darker colour, but not black, something like indigo. Definitely give them a go as they are so comfortable. Congratulations on losing the weight by the way.

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2023 6:28 PM

The pants arrived and the fit seems good if a little loose.

by Anonymousreply 50July 29, 2023 9:07 PM

Donuts for Egalandy!

by Anonymousreply 51July 29, 2023 10:18 PM

Good for you, egglady!

by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2023 10:30 PM

Hunger bragging.

by Anonymousreply 53July 29, 2023 10:59 PM

No jeans after age forty. I am unanimous in that.

by Anonymousreply 54July 29, 2023 11:28 PM

I fell for that shit in my 40s, R54. No. I wear what I please.

Denim in Summer is verboten because of its weight. Catch up.

by Anonymousreply 55July 29, 2023 11:57 PM

I've bought jeans online from Mott and Bow and have found that their slim fit jeans are often exactly the same as their straight fit jeans, but other times they're way too thin. In other words, not only do the terms slim and straight vary between retailers, they vary in the same store.

Btw, Mott and Bow makes good jeans but they have the WORST customer relations department I've ever run into, so assume if you buy something from them, you probably won't be able to return it.

by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2023 12:17 AM

I do agree that jeans in summer are a bad idea, no matter how common they are. They're incredibly uncomfortable in hot weather (and never look as good as most people believe).

by Anonymousreply 57July 30, 2023 5:17 AM

R19 Those jeans are not available in the UK. But we do have Levi’s 502 as I mentioned above. They seem to be what you are describing so maybe they rebranded them with their own number.

The Z Guide to Levi's Jeans: Levi's Numbers Explained — Levi's 502s are nearly identical to Levi's 501s. The only difference is that the 502 jeans have a slightly more tapered leg and a bit more room in the thighs. They have a refined look that doesn't sacrifice comfort. The tapered leg gives 502s a refined look that's easy to dress or down.

by Anonymousreply 58July 30, 2023 6:01 AM

I tend to buy skinny jeans though not skin tight ones. Black. I like that they have a lot of spandex in them and they're comfortable, and since I'm on the thin side, they look fine on me without emphasizing they're "skinny jeans". I don't like "dad jeans," they look terrible on me.

by Anonymousreply 59July 30, 2023 5:30 PM

i just went to tractor supply for dog food. for the first time i checked out the clothing. carhartt jeans... 40 bucks. didn't have time to try them on. maybe later. they even had columbia jackets and pullovers.

by Anonymousreply 60July 30, 2023 5:50 PM

[quote]I just went to tractor supply for dog food.

I just went to the dry cleaner to have my hair cut.

by Anonymousreply 61July 30, 2023 5:54 PM

i'm crying, r61!!!

by Anonymousreply 62July 30, 2023 6:03 PM

The A.P.C. “Jean Standard” is a nice slimmer fit zippered jean that stays true at the waist all day. It has a chino-width cuff.

The A.P.C. “New Standard Classique” grabs your ass, balls, and calves. They are made for us pocket gays with sturdy legs. Their 28 stays a 28 throughout the day and the buttons are a bitch to break in.

While clothing is subsidized, I’d encourage you to buy pre-owned first to check fit and feel before buying new.

by Anonymousreply 63July 30, 2023 6:07 PM

What's A.P.C.? How is clothing subsidized?

by Anonymousreply 64July 30, 2023 6:11 PM

Yes, Op here, wants to know APC, too!

by Anonymousreply 65August 2, 2023 8:30 PM

A.P.C. = Atelier de Production et de Création

by Anonymousreply 66August 2, 2023 9:08 PM

I’m 6’, 165 & work out daily, but I’m in my 60s. What does DL say about whether I can wear slim jeans?

by Anonymousreply 67August 2, 2023 10:46 PM

Try them on r67. I think it less about age and more how you feel in them and how they look. I’m 56, 6’, 175 and fit and I found them uncomfortable and not particularly flattering to my ass.

by Anonymousreply 68August 2, 2023 11:12 PM

How/where is clothing subsidized?

by Anonymousreply 69August 2, 2023 11:29 PM

All these years I had held onto two of my Levis 501 jeans (waist 32) from when I was in my thirties with the unrealistic expectations that I would lose enough weight some day to wear them again. Now that I'm 62 and have lost 55 pounds I tried them on and found that not only do they fit, but surprisingly they still look good on me.

by Anonymousreply 70August 2, 2023 11:50 PM

For a man to look good in jeans he needs a certain amount of mass in his quads, thighs and butt. As men age though, these parts of the body lose mass. For whatever reason, denim doesn’t disguise this scrawniness but instead seems to exacerbate it.

by Anonymousreply 71August 3, 2023 12:33 AM

Straight leg denim is best for almost all ages. Get a vintage pair of 501s. Non stretch!

by Anonymousreply 72August 3, 2023 2:04 AM

Mavi Zach straight leg jeans at Nordstrom if you’re roomy through the hips.

by Anonymousreply 73August 3, 2023 4:57 AM

R71 My thighs and glutes are still maintaining good muscle mass thanks to remaining active and genes.

by Anonymousreply 74August 3, 2023 11:14 AM

Yes, I made the mistake of buying stretch jeans about five years ago. I looked like a desperate sausage! I wore them once and out them in the donation pile!

by Anonymousreply 75August 5, 2023 11:27 PM

Do it OP! They look fabulous on me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 5, 2023 11:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!