Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sir John Mills

The fact that he's always been convinced he didn't look a day over 30 probably explains why he was still going strong until the age of 97. Charm, durability, and above all, an effortless talent have made him one of the great British stars of the century.

It was 77 years ago he first came to fame in David Lean's film Great Expectations. After that, in a series of roles that seem to embodied Englishness, his stiff upper lip was admired by millions: In Which We Serve, Ice Cold in Alex, Oh What a Lovely War!, and Young Winston were just a few of them. But just in case we thought he was typecast, he ran off with an Oscar when he played the village idiot in Ryan's Daughter. Doing shows until the day he died, saying "none of my life has been work. It is my hobby."

Let's discuss British thespian Sir John Mills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2023 1:13 PM

We can't forget Hobson Choice either.

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2023 7:29 PM

Was in 1978's The Thirty Nine Steps with Eric Porter.

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2023 7:38 PM

He's elegant

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2023 9:07 PM

Good in Scott of the Antarctic

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2023 9:14 PM

He had a great run in the 1940s. "The Rocking Horse Winner" (which he also produced) is one of my favorite of his movies; he had a key part, but it was a small one and he said his fans wrote him to complain that he was on screen for about ten minutes.

He made his first feature film in 1932 and his last in 2003.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2023 9:34 PM

He was also in Swiss Family Robinson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2023 9:41 PM

[quote] He was also in Swiss Family Robinson

With Tommy Kirk!

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2023 9:45 PM

And Gandhi with Ben Kingsley, Rohini Hattangadi, Martin Sheen, Candace Bergen, Edward Fox, Ian Charleson, Trevor Howard, and Sir John Gielgud

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2023 9:48 PM

I read his daugther Hayley's memoir a year or two back. Hayley was very respectful of both her parents but it did seem that her father was none too pleased with the fact that for a particular moment in time his teenage daughter was a bigger star than he was.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2023 10:29 PM

Understandable really

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2023 11:30 PM

I like his early 30s movies when he usually plays a very peppy and happy singer.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2023 2:17 AM

He's great

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2023 2:32 AM

When i first saw the pic, i thought oh my john snyider is looking rough.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2023 2:40 AM

a good stream on youtube

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2023 3:29 AM

full movie on youtube / high quality

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2023 11:34 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2023 11:37 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2023 11:54 AM

John Mills Desert Island Discs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2023 1:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!