Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Happy 80th birthday to Bobby Sherman

Happy 80th birthday to retired paramedic, police officer, singer, actor and songwriter Bobby Sherman who was born on this date July 22, 1943 in Santa Monica, CA. In 1962, Sal Mineo wrote two songs for Sherman as well as arranging for Sherman to record the songs. In 1964, when Mineo asked Sherman to sing with his old band at a Hollywood party (where many actors and agents were in attendance), Sherman was signed with an agent and eventually landed a part on the ABC television show "Shindig!" as a regular cast member/house singer.

In early 1968, he was selected for the role of Jeremy Bolt, in the ABC television series "Here Come the Brides" (1968-1970).

Sherman released 107 songs, 23 singles and 10 albums between 1962 and 1976. In his recording career, he earned seven gold singles, one platinum single, and five gold albums. He had a career total of seven top 40 hits. In 1969, he signed with Metromedia Records.

In May 1969, he released the single "Little Woman", which peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart (#2 in Canada) and spent nine weeks in the Top 20. It sold over one million copies and was awarded a gold disc by the R.I.A.A. in October 1969.

His other hits were "Julie, Do Ya Love Me" (US #5/AC #2) (Canada #3) (Australia #3) (written by Tom Bahler), "Easy Come, Easy Go" (US #9/AC #2) (Canada #6), "Jennifer" (US #60/AC #9) (Canada #32), "La La La (If I Had You)" (US #9/AC #14) (Canada #7), and "The Drum" (US #29/AC #2) (Canada #7) (written by Alan O'Day). Some of these songs were produced by Jackie Mills, a Hollywood record producer, who also produced the Brady Bunch Kids. In Canada, "Hey, Mister Sun" reached #19, "Cried Like a Baby" reached #10, and "Waiting At The Bus Stop" reached #31. "La, La, La," "Easy Come, Easy Go," and "Julie, Do Ya Love Me" all sold in excess of a million copies and garnered further gold discs for Sherman.

"Julie, Do Ya Love Me" was Sherman's sole excursion in the UK Singles Chart, where it peaked at #28 in November 1970. The song competed there for chart space with White Plains' cover version, which eventually placed higher at #8.

Sherman was a frequent guest on "American Bandstand" and "Where the Action Is".

When Sherman guest-starred on an episode of the Jack Webb television series "Emergency!" he found a new calling. Eventually, he left the public spotlight and became a paramedic.

He officially became a technical Reserve Police Officer with the Los Angeles Police Department in the 1990s, a position he still held as of 2017. Sherman also became a reserve deputy sheriff in 1999 with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, continuing his CPR/emergency training of new deputy hires. Sherman retired from the sheriff's department in 2010.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2023 10:27 PM

Love Bobby. I had all his cereal box back singles. He remains on heavy rotation on my cd turntable to this day.

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2023 4:22 PM

He was so hot

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2023 4:29 PM

Why did we leave out the most important accomplishment of his career? He bagged that hot stud Sal Mineo and bottomed for him. They both were so lucky. If only I had a time machine. Sigh

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2023 4:34 PM

MIneo-Sherman thread.

From factinate.com :

[quote]In a particularly awkward twist of irony, the affair that broke up Mineo’s relationship with Haworth was with pop singer Bobby Sherman. This was actually even more devastating than you think. Sherman was a friend that Haworth herself had introduced Sal to not long before. Not only that, but it appears this affair was precisely the one that made Mineo realize the extent to which he truly enjoyed relationships with men.

[quote]According to Mineo, prior to his affair with Sherman, the star was confused about how intimate relationships between gay men actually worked in bed. As he recalled it, when he became aware of his interest in Sherman, he asked his gay hairdresser to explain to him the details of what should be happening between them physically. The hairdresser was happy to oblige.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2023 5:20 PM

Bobby was super cute which was the biggest reason he was successful. His voice was decent, but I thought the songs he sang were on the bland side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2023 5:47 PM

I remember watching him on Shindig. I thought he was very cute, but not very talented.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2023 5:53 PM

[quote]In 1962 Jill Haworth Mineo’s “girlfriend” kicked open Mineo’s closet door, catching the 35-year-old actor bedding his buddy Bobby Sherman 20 -years-old. “But he didn’t stop,” she said. “He kept going at it.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2023 5:59 PM

Published accounts indicate that Sherman's relationship with Sal Mineo was personal as well as professional.

Sherman's first wife was Patti Carnel; the couple had two sons, Christopher and Tyler, before they divorced.[13] Sherman married Brigitte Poublon on July 18, 2010, in Las Vegas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2023 6:54 PM

Then...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2023 6:57 PM

Now...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2023 6:58 PM

Reportedly he's worth $10 million.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2023 6:59 PM

Bobby Sherman and Jan Michael Vincent were passed around like hors d'oeuvres at the Malibu gay mafia parties in the early 60's. I've seen the photos.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2023 7:08 PM

R7 Sal Mineo was born in 1939, so he was only age 23 in 1962.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2023 7:36 PM

R12, what? Where?

The weird thing about the Mineo story is that I've never seen a photo of the two of them together, except for the time Sal appeared on "Shindig," after their relationship was over. They were friends for a couple of years in the early '60s, according to the Michaud biography. You'd think they'd appear together in someone's photo collection.

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2023 2:56 AM

Julie Julie Do Ya Love Me

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2023 3:24 AM

Sal soon Bobby will join you in Gay heaven which is basically the White Party but everyone has wings. Wait. That sounds like Gay hell.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2023 3:35 AM

Unfortunately, they'll be in Bisexual Heaven. Both had relationships and sex with women.

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2023 9:34 PM

R17 Why unfortunately? Sounds hot!

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2023 11:01 PM

It's rumored that Susan Dey sent birthday wishes to Bobby.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2023 11:29 PM

I had a mental hard-on when I was eight years old, watching him on "Here Come the Brides" in 1968. Actually all three main actors were very good looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2023 11:53 PM

R18, oh, "unfortunately" just because the person I was replying to seemed happy about the idea of the reunion in Gay Heaven and I felt like I was raining on his parade.

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2023 6:45 PM

Oh boy, I vaguely recall going through my sister's 16 Magazine in the early 1970s and it had a article on Bobby Sherman, and stated his age as 28, and I was thinking that he was old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2023 8:30 PM

It was old for a teen idol! Usually, they were no older than late teens or early 20s.

I remember reading on LPSG a long time ago that someone remembers seeing him in a gay bar in San Francisco. IIRC, they told him he looked like Bobby Sherman, and he said he was.

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2023 10:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!