Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A judge was caught scrolling through Facebook and looking at GIFs while she was overseeing her first trial

A Lincoln County District judge is under investigation after security footage showed the jurist scrolling through her phone throughout a seven-day murder trial, The Associated Press reported.

Judge Traci Soderstrom, a new state judge elected in November, oversaw a brutal murder trial that began last month. The case involved 32-year-old Khristian Tyler Martzall, who was accused of beating his then-girlfriend's 2-year-old son, Braxton Danker, to death, according to The Oklahoman, which first reported on Soderstrom's courtroom conduct.

According to the local paper, this was Soderstrom's first case. She began the trial by instructing the jury members to turn off all electronic devices — a common courtroom protocol — so that they could "concentrate on the evidence without interruption," The Oklahoman reported.

Soon, Soderstrom proceeded to check her phone.

Footage from a ceiling security camera pointed above the judge's bench showed Sodestrom repeatedly checking her device, The Oklahoman reported. According to the newspaper, the judge used her phone throughout jury selection, opening statements, and witness testimony.

At one point, Soderstrom checked her cellphone during a tearful testimony from the victim's mother, Judith Danker. The footage also shows Soderstrom checking Facebook and, once, searching and sending a GIF, The Oklahoman reported.

Throughout the trial, the judge held her phone in her lap or sometimes set it down in a drawer at her desk, which can be seen in the security footage, according to the report.

A Lincoln County District Court spokesperson was unavailable for comment during the weekend.

District Attorney Adam Panter, who reviewed the footage after receiving a tip from a courthouse employee, told The Oklahoman that the judge "spent hours of the trial on her cellphone both texting and scrolling through social media."

"It is both shocking and disappointing," Panter told the newspaper. "Jurors are banned from using cellphones in the courtroom during trials because we expect them to give their full time and attention to the evidence being presented. I would expect and hope the Court would hold itself to the same standard required of the jurors, regardless of the type of case."

Panter did not immediately return a request for comment sent during the weekend.

The Oklahoma Council on Judicial Complaints is investigating Soderstrom's conduct, Lincoln County Sheriff's Office told Associated Press.

According to The Oklahoman, Soderstrom moved the position of the ceiling security camera on Monday. Panter told the newspaper that he was concerned the judge did so instead of trying to address her behavior.

Soderstrom was elected in November and sworn in on January 9. According to The Oklahoman, Soderstrom became a layer in 2003. The judge told Countywide & Sun last year that she had an extensive legal background, practicing everything from administrative court issues to criminal and juvenile law.

Martzall was convicted of second-degree manslaughter at the end of the trial. Prosecutors were seeking first-degree murder charges.

Martzall was arrested and placed in jail since his arrest in 2018, Panter told The Lincoln County News. The jury recommended time served for his punishment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 25, 2023 12:31 AM

Goddamn.

What is wrong with people nowdays?

No wonder no one has any faith in "the system."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2023 7:26 AM

The judge has very poor judgement.

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2023 7:32 AM

Judges think they are gods.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2023 8:07 AM

Well, the people voted for her. I wonder if there were any better choices (to vote for).

Judge seems like a half-wit, addicted to her phone.

Sounds like the defendant will soon be set free. Prosecutor is more pissed off than the defense.

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2023 8:21 AM

You wouldn't catch Judge Judy doing this!

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2023 8:24 AM

Who's watching the watcher?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2023 8:25 AM

r5 can you even access Facebook on a Jitterbug device?

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2023 8:44 AM

Can the state bar reprimand the judge? Is her license to practice law or be a judge at risk? This seems beyond unethical - one could equate it to a judge reading a book or newspaper throughout a trial.

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2023 9:25 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2023 9:35 AM

Considering both the seriousness of the court case and the fact this judge will be getting paid a SHITLOAD of money, this is pretty disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2023 9:49 AM

She really is a fat tub of shit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2023 9:54 AM

Sooner trash. and we know from trash!

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2023 9:56 AM

Ugh. The fatties can never stay off their phones.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2023 9:59 AM

She needs to say oh-oh-oh-Ozempic.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2023 10:00 AM

Clearly, Black Lives Don't Matter to judge Karen.

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2023 10:01 AM

Poor impulse control, as also shown by her weight.

She shouldn’t be “judging” anything.

Also, a grandmother of 7 at her age? She’s probably mid-forties? Trashy!

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2023 10:14 AM

Setting aside for the moment her inexcusable conduct — which is pretty reprehensible — what kind of bizarre system do they have in Oklahoma where a brand new judge gets to preside over a first-degree murder trial right out of the box?? That seems unwise.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2023 10:27 AM

Whoops.

I assumed the guy on trial was black.

Not sure why, but there was a picture of a black family at the link, so I just assumed.

Here's the killer: Khristian Tyler Martzall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2023 10:45 AM

Here's a photo of the 2 year old that was killed.

Hopefully, there will be outrage in the community and they'll fire her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2023 10:47 AM

Poor little boy was beaten to death, and these two assholes could go free because of this fucking judge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2023 10:51 AM

It's an elected position, so this terrible publicity means she's done like a dinner.

Of which she eats three every night, by the looks of things.

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2023 10:53 AM

Mistrial!

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2023 10:58 AM

R2 Judgment!

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2023 11:16 AM

If this were divorce court I would totally be in the judge's corner.

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2023 12:11 PM

So fucking disrespectful to that poor baby and his loved ones. And the entire system.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2023 12:19 PM

I wish it had been an eldergay judge checking Datalounge instead.

He could just list the possible trial outcomes in poll form and let us decide cases.

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2023 12:26 PM

brilliant r26

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2023 1:08 PM

R26 great idea!

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2023 1:13 PM

Love it. What would the Vivian Vance decision option be R26?

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2023 1:16 PM

[quote] A judge was caught scrolling through Facebook and looking at GIFs while she was overseeing her first trial

Disgraceful.

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2023 1:26 PM

What is the outcome?

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2023 1:35 PM

r29 that could be the option to select for hot guys so they could go free

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2023 1:36 PM

I don't see the problem here. It's called multi-tasking.

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2023 1:36 PM

Shameful.

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2023 1:48 PM

Perhaps an I’ll advised attempt to humanize the judge but, I always hear the theme from People’s Court in my head every time I sneak away to McDonalds.

*typewriter punching away sound* Defendant, Fat Whore.

by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2023 3:55 PM

*ill advised

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2023 3:56 PM

[QUOTE]Mistrial! —Khristian Tyler Martzall's Attorney

Are you kidding, r22? The defense must be thrilled. The prosecution asked for 1st degree murder, but he was convicted of 2nd degree manslaughter and sentenced to time already served. It's the prosecution that's up in arms and they don't have legal recourse due to double jeopardy.

I don't know what the DA's office can do beyond raise objections every time this judge is assigned to a case.

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2023 5:00 PM

Her name is Traci and I bet she makes a little heart instead of a dot above the i.

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2023 5:09 PM

Just wanted to add to my post @R33 that I really don't have many cases scheduled in the near future, except for some minor case in May of '24. But I'll make short work of it, don't you worry about that.

by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2023 5:21 PM

She also wears fake eyelashes and TRIES to do the “mermaid hair over the shoulder” look that’s the universal skank hairdo.

But her lank and stringy hair won’t cooperate.

She’s a fat, hillbilly mess.

by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2023 5:45 PM

Facebook frau.

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2023 5:58 PM

That’s a man, babay!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2023 6:13 PM

I dare yall to leave a Google review on her law firm and tell her she has resting bitch face

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2023 6:17 PM

Is she related to Ginni Thomas?

by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2023 6:19 PM

The witch photo?

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2023 6:21 PM

From the google reviews 😆

[quote]I hired Traci as my lawyer a few months ago. I gotta say I was disappointed. During witness testimony she brought in a 42" flat screen HDTV into the courtroom and started watching sitcoms. At jury selection she brought in a Croc Pot and literally started making chili in front of the whole courtroom. During closing arguments she brought in a wall projection screen and a big bag of popcorn and put on Fried Green Tomatoes. I did lose the case and my whole life is ruined, but I do love the movie Friend Green Tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2023 6:24 PM

This is Oklahoma. All they care about is her MAGAt credentials, not how she does her job. She'll get re-elected easily.

by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2023 6:52 PM

She has NO business being a judge. The purported continuous internet checking during her FIRST trial not only shows disrespect for the victim, the defendant and the jurors but shows she has no genuine interest in being a good judge. I've been an attorney (never a judge) for 30-years. If I was elected/appointed to the bench, I would be some nervous and prepared for the first trial over which I presided that I would never consider checking my phone once during the proceeding.

A good judge is one that has a genuine interest in the law, applies it fairly, and is respectful to the parties, the attorneys, the jurors and the court staff. If this claim is correct, this woman wholly fails to meet any of these requirements. The chief judge likely will have a talk with her but won't have much power over her. She likely won't be removed from office. Hopefully, the voters will send her packing in the next election. If I lived in that district, I run against her to just to get rid of her.

by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2023 7:31 PM

How can a jury vote for time served over a case of a toddler beaten to death? I’m really shocked.

by Anonymousreply 49July 23, 2023 7:39 PM

[quote] The defense must be thrilled. The prosecution asked for 1st degree murder, but he was convicted of 2nd degree manslaughter and sentenced to time already served.

I concur with R49.

That's just insane.

Did her inattention to the proceedings have anything to do with the defendant's very light sentence?

by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2023 7:59 PM

[quote] This is Oklahoma. All they care about is her MAGAt credentials, not how she does her job. She'll get re-elected easily.

I hope to fuck that you're wrong, R47.

Even Oklahomans can't be that bad. Can they?

by Anonymousreply 51July 23, 2023 9:21 PM

[quote] Even Oklahomans can't be that bad

WRONG!

by Anonymousreply 52July 24, 2023 2:27 PM

Internet addiction is very real. I’m sometimes on this site during important meetings. However this chica is cray to do this as a judge.

by Anonymousreply 53July 24, 2023 2:29 PM

r47 is a moron. There are as many if not more corrupt judges in New York than the South. Its what happens when the process of picking judges is politicized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2023 2:55 PM

R54 Fuck off New York City has a population larger than most southern states with the exception of Florida and Texas.

by Anonymousreply 55July 24, 2023 3:11 PM

The role of judge is a big responsibility. You have to have standards, maintain proper protocol and show by example. Someone like this has no business sitting behind a bench listening to arguments when they have such poor judgement.

by Anonymousreply 56July 24, 2023 3:15 PM

Her ambition clearly far outweighed her ability. I wouldn't be as surprised if it was a veteran judge who had heard it all before and was counting down to retirement. Your first few cases you would like to prove yourself capable, no?

by Anonymousreply 57July 24, 2023 9:49 PM

R55 And Georgia, and North Carolina, and (maybe) Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 58July 24, 2023 11:34 PM

R58 Barely

by Anonymousreply 59July 24, 2023 11:38 PM

This Oklahoma judge was disbarred after he was found using a penis pump while court was in session.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 25, 2023 12:28 AM

"presiding over jury trials by using a sexual device"

That article is poorly written and hilarious. R60

by Anonymousreply 61July 25, 2023 12:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!