Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Husband, father, sex worker: As adults, Afghanistan's 'dancing boys' lead double lives

In conservative Afghanistan, former dancing boy Farhad leads a double life; married father-of-six by day, cross-dressing dancer and sex worker by night.

The practice of "bacha bazi" - translated as "boy play" - involves boys dressing up and dancing at private parties, but it was outlawed in 2017 amid concerns it fostered sexual abuse and servitude of young boys by powerful, older men. Islamic clerics led calls for the centuries-old tradition to be stopped, saying those involved should be stoned for sodomy which is forbidden under Islamic law.

"(But bacha bazi) continues to happen and is a grave human rights violation," said Abdul Rasheed, executive director of the non-profit Youth Health and Development Organization (YHDO).

"Pressing charges against the perpetrators is almost impossible as many are in a position of power," he added.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2023 3:54 AM

If you look at any given culture around the world, you’ll notice one thing consistently. The more fanatically religious they are, the more fucked up they are sexually.

This is also the reason why a lot of “bisexual“ Latino men go apeshit if you touch their butt.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2023 6:38 PM

R1 because the Latino men are molested a lot or machismo?

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2023 6:41 PM

R2 I think it’s the machismo. They have this thing in their culture where it’s okay to have sex with other men as long as they take the “top“ role. But doing anything with their butt is basically threatening their manhood. And as we all know, when you’re dealing with men from a backward, uh sorry, I mean “traditional” culture, it’s best not to threaten anyone’s manhood.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2023 6:44 PM

The men in this article said they don’t even see themselves as men, that they’d have sex changes if it were possible. So in this context I’d wager they’re bottoms. This could also be an instance where childhood abuse really informs adult behavior.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2023 9:11 PM

R4 they should just snap their fingers and it’ll happen (Bippity-Bopity Boo) and then their lives will be perfect. It’s so easy.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2023 9:15 PM

When there was still U.S. presence across the country, Army medics and Navy corpsmen would treat people from area villages for various injuries and ailments. They were startled by how many women were showing up with venereal diseases. Their husbands had gay relationships. The culture is such that women were for procreation and servitude while men were for sexual release. These weren't dancing boys, they were average guys. New Yorker had an article about this in early to mid aughts. There's even a saying about it. Paraphrasing: When the crow flies over Kandahar, it uses one wing to cover its behind.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2023 10:34 PM

There is no casual sex between men and women in these countries....So men who can do what they want have to turn too boys for sex

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2023 10:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2023 10:39 PM

No pics unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2023 11:28 PM

[quote]The men in this article said they don’t even see themselves as men, that they’d have sex changes if it were possible.

Only one man out of the two claimed that.

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2023 12:48 AM

I volunteer to help out this guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2023 2:20 AM

Tragic. Their adult lives were informed by childhood trauma.

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2023 2:31 AM

This reminds me a little of the Pitcairn Islands where sexual initiations of young girls frequently involve(d) rapes. It was part of their cultural fabric. The islanders are the ancestors of the Caine Mutiny survivors and the Tahitian women the crew brought aboard. There was a huge scandal that Crown prosecutors got involved.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2023 3:14 AM

It’s just old fashioned sugar daddy/ prostitution relationships. They do it with men and boys because women are lesser beings and are not allowed to leave the house. I’m sure if the women could get out they would be prostituting themselves too.

by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2023 3:22 AM

[quote] The islanders are the ancestors of the Caine Mutiny survivors

They outlived their descendants and are still around? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2023 3:30 AM

[quote] The islanders are the ancestors of the Caine Mutiny survivors

They outlived their descendants and are still around? Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2023 3:31 AM

Oh my god! How did ancestors come out when I meant the opposite! 😁 That was a circuit melting there.

by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2023 3:36 AM

R13/R17 The Caine Mutiny?

The Caine Mutiny was a book by Herman Wouk published in 1951.

You're thinking of the 1789 mutiny on the HMS Bounty. Books were published soon after the trials and movies were made in the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2023 3:48 AM

Wow! Photo at R11. He's absolutely stunning.

by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2023 3:51 AM

Thanks, r18. I really did know it. I've just had a succession of brain facts this evening. It's the heat, dammit!

by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2023 3:54 AM

[quote] Their adult lives were informed by childhood trauma.

Then they belong here at the DL with the rest of us

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2023 3:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!