Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WCBS New York Meteorologist Elise Finch dead at 51

Elise Finch, an Emmy-winning meteorologist with WCBS in New York for 16 years, has died, the TV station announced Sunday. She was 51.

Finch died at a local hospital; the cause of her death has not been determined, according to WCBS’s statement.

“Elise has been a friend and team member at WCBS for 16 years,” the station said in announcing her death. “Elise was a gifted and consummate professional who took great care with her work. She was also a wonderful ambassador in the community, including her hometown of Mount Vernon. Above all, Elise was a fiercely loving and devoted mother to her daughter Grace and wife to Graig Henriques, who is a photojournalist at WCBS.”

Colleagues remembered Finch, who last appeared on WCBS’s newscast on Friday, July 14, as a beloved coworker and friend. “Elise was fiercely loyal to those she loved, a straight shooter, a consummate professional, and made me laugh until I cried,” Jessica Moore, weekend evening anchor on WCBS, posted on Twitter. “But above all she was completely devoted to her family, especially her daughter Grace. I love you so much, my friend. Heaven now has an angel like no other.”

WCBS anchor Chris Wragge tweeted, “My heart is broken. Our team will never be the same. No one matched musical wits better. I’ll miss you much.”

Finch joined the CBS New York weather team in April 2007. Previously she was at NBC where she served as a meteorologist for the “Early Today Show,” MSNBC and NBC Weather Plus. Prior to NBC, Finch was the weekend weather anchor at the CBS affiliate in Phoenix, Ariz., and before that, she was an anchor and reporter at the CBS and Fox affiliates in Youngstown, Ohio, and the ABC affiliate in Austin, Minn. Finch started her career in TV behind the scenes at E! Entertainment Television, where she served as a production coordinator for special projects and live events.

Elise Dione Finch Henriques was raised in Mount Vernon, N.Y, and graduated from Mount Vernon High School. She earned a bachelor of science degree from Georgetown University, where she received one of the prestigious President’s Awards. She went on to earn a master of science degree in broadcast journalism from Syracuse University. Finch completed the broadcast meteorology program at Mississippi State University and holds the seal of approval from the American Meteorological Society.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2023 10:50 PM

If I had to guess based on her picture, she didn't get started on Ozempic soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2023 11:35 PM

Young. Sad!

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2023 11:36 PM

And yet Al Roker still lives.

WHYYYYYYYY?????!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2023 11:38 PM

That’s young and sudden.

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2023 11:53 PM

Sad.

She had young kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2023 11:56 PM

OMG, I can’t believe it. I saw her on TV every morning. How sad. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2023 1:24 AM

Heart attack probably, or something else obesity related.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2023 1:26 AM

Terrible.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2023 1:31 AM

R1, fuck you. She was full figured by not obese.

And seemed like an absolutely lovely person.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2023 1:31 AM

Just like a cigarette smoker, she chose to eat tons of food.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2023 1:33 AM

She died of buffet-related causes.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2023 2:06 AM

Stroke. Anyone over 40 and especially African Americans, get your blood pressure under control and limit your sodium intake to 1500 milligrams.

by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2023 2:19 AM

We don’t need meteorologists anyway.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2023 4:02 AM

R9 Hortense has joined the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2023 10:35 AM

WNBC reporter Kat Creag died suddenly around the same age, a few years ago. It was a "sudden cardiopulmonary event." She also had young children.

I feel so deeply for school-age kids who lose their mothers—it is so terribly, fundamentally scarring. Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2023 10:44 AM

Love those who know exactly why she died. Didn’t realize we have so many medical examiners here.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2023 10:54 AM

It was... MURDER!

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2023 12:28 PM

She always seemed out of breath to me when she gave the weather report. Like she wasn't getting enough air to project her voice.

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2023 1:07 PM

I hope her last words were "The sky was so blue that day!"

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2023 1:31 PM

I'm surprised the COVIDiots haven't blamed her death on being vaccinated yet.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2023 2:45 PM

^COVIDIOTS don't care how a black woman dies as long as she does.

RIP Elise. She came across as kind and sincere on screen and off.

I was reminded of another reporter who "had the worst headache of my life" and then died. Lisa Colagrossi, age 50

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2023 3:31 PM

Elise's Funeral Arrangements

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2023 9:38 PM

I'm free if her position hasn't been filled yet.

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2023 9:41 PM

R22 Here. Sorry, If we still had "Preview," I would've known link didn't work. Muriel, please bring it back. Here are the arrangements.

Funeral services have been set for CBS New York meteorologist Elise Finch, a mainstay in local news for the tri-state area whose death led to an outpouring of support.

A public wake for Finch, a member of CBS for 16 years, will be held from 1 to 6 p.m. Monday, July 24 at Macedonia Baptist Church, 141 South 9th Ave. in Mount Vernon. Mayor of Mount Vernon Shawyn Patterson-Howard shared information on her Facebook page.

A celebration of life will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The service will be streamed live for the public.

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2023 9:45 PM

R1 You are sad. Fat or big boned people have existed before Ozempic and before the new millennium. And they didn’t die in their 50s. Let’s wait to hear the cause of death.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2023 10:25 PM

[quote]Doctors said she suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage caused by a ruptured aneurysm. She passed away the next day in the hospital's ICU.

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2023 10:36 PM

Anyone know why brain aneurysms are so much more common in African-American women?

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2023 10:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!