Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's discuss TITANIC (1997)

The Titan implosion made me nostalgic for the late 1990s. What a magical time!

Let's discuss Titanic. Did you see it in the theater? Did you enjoy it? Did you think, as I did, that Billy Zane was hotter than Leo? Do you think it deserved the Oscar?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490August 16, 2023 3:56 PM

Leo was so beautiful in it. Hate to see Jack die.

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2023 4:39 AM

I didn't realize Rose was only supposed to be 17?

Kate could have easily passed for 30!

by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2023 4:42 AM

I saw it twice in the theater. Definitely enjoyed it, apart from a few scenes that seemed overdone or anachronistic (they should have been cut, but when has James Cameron ever been subtle?), but I have a hard time getting through it now, having watched it numerous times on various formats. A lot of the performances seem wooden, in a way, with too much heavy-handed, expository dialogue (again, something Cameron is guilty of in many of his films). But it looks marvelous still, for the most part.

When exactly did Leo go to seed? I think within 8 or so years of Titanic he had kind of turned into the stodgier version of himself we know today. Winslet still looks good, but I agree that she looked older than 17 back then.

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2023 4:51 AM

I was 10 when it came out.

I think I saw it 3 times in the theater. I had a friend who watched it in the theaters like 10 times. It was in the theaters forever. I think I remember reading it was in theaters for 8 months.

There were tons of documentaries on TV I watched, I watched “A Night to Remember”, the 1996 TV movie with Catherine Zeta Jones, and “Raise the Titanic” which I remember being super boring.

I’m pretty sure the movie coincided with learning about it in school too. I also remember going to a traveling exhibit in Boston.

My friend was obsessed with Leonardo DiCaprio. Everything he and Winslet did that year was an event. I remember watching the Oprah interview too.

It was such a big event.

And the fucking song.

by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2023 4:51 AM

Fuck off OP. Ever since that gat daym implosion I haven't been able to get Celine Dion out of my head.

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2023 4:59 AM

And now she's back THANK YEWWWWWW

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2023 5:00 AM

I liked Billy Zane better than Leo

by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2023 5:02 AM

It really is a great Hollywood movie.

A fictional romance story in a historical event that attracts old people and also attracted young people. It had a great story for women and cool special effects for men. Even had sex and nudity in a PG-13 movie.

It had a lot!

by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2023 5:03 AM

R7 Agreed. Billy Zane was hot to me.

As a gay kid, I loved bad boys. Billy Zane in Titanic and Kevin Bacon in “River Wild”.

by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2023 5:05 AM

I saw it the other day and it was ok. The effects are lacking by comparison now.

by Anonymousreply 10July 14, 2023 5:06 AM

r4 is correct; it really was an event.

by Anonymousreply 11July 14, 2023 5:08 AM

What really set it up was the connection of the present to the past and old Rose. That's why is seemed so real when they died. You know it's a real story.

by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2023 5:09 AM

It really is two different things:

One is a beautifully sad historic film starring thespians Kathy Bates, Bernard Hill, Jonathan Hyde, Eric Braeden, Bernard Fox, and Victor Garber.

One is a 1990's romance movie with Leonard DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, Billy Zane, Frances Fischer, and David Warner.

by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2023 5:09 AM

Kathy Bates gave the best performance of the film

by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2023 5:11 AM

Cameron should have found someone else to write the script

by Anonymousreply 15July 14, 2023 5:14 AM

It made a lot of money around the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 14, 2023 5:14 AM

Billy Z's shitty character trumped his looks in it, for me. Leo/Jack all the way!

by Anonymousreply 17July 14, 2023 5:17 AM

I think it would have worked better as a linear narrative without the present-day/old Rose angle. And the ridiculous Heart of the Ocean plot detail. But I can see how Cameron couldn't resist including all the footage of the wrecked ship.

by Anonymousreply 18July 14, 2023 5:23 AM

I’ve been interested in the Titanic since my childhood in the 60s. Back then it happened just 50 years prior.

I hated the whole scene with Cal shooting all those bullets. It cheapens the event. I’d rather see the scene when the Strausses decided to remain on board. That was true love.

Why did Rose drop the Heart of the Ocean into the ocean? She could have given it to her granddaughter for her family in the future. Seemed very selfish to me.

by Anonymousreply 19July 14, 2023 5:38 AM

Tom Petty gets it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 14, 2023 5:41 AM

If you need a laugh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 14, 2023 6:42 AM

I can't help it—I still love it. I was a young kid when it came out, and it was THE cultural event of the late '90s. I remember seeing it in a packed theater with my parents as a kid. I got really embarrassed during Winslet's nude scene and excused myself to go to the bathroom (even though Leo was the real object of my affection). I was obsessed with him after this movie and often imagined myself marrying him. I even convinced my mom to buy me a cheapo fan book called "Lovin' Leo" a few months later (my parents had to have known they were raising a certified gay at this point). Weirdly, today, as an adult gay man, I don't find myself attracted to him, even in this movie. He is objectively beautiful, but too "pretty" in a way that I don't find sexually appealing.

After seeing the movie, I became obsessed with the Titanic wreck in general and my parents bought me multiple history books about it and even a 3-dimensional puzzle of the ship. I was always naturally drawn to history, old houses, vintage cars, anything remotely "old fashioned," so there was a major appeal there as well.

I have rewatched the movie many times over the years and I think it holds up well—it's a great classic epic story, and a technical marvel. The last third of the film with the shipwreck and sinking is still nerve-shredding to me. While it's not high up on the list, it certainly is somewhere on there among my favorite movies. It is simply very well done.

by Anonymousreply 22July 14, 2023 7:49 AM

Great post r22

by Anonymousreply 23July 14, 2023 8:42 AM

I remember seeing it in March 1998. The theater was packed, although it had already been out for a couple of months by then.

by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2023 9:42 AM

The first half is overwrought, shitty melodrama.

It only got interesting when the ship began to sink.

by Anonymousreply 25July 14, 2023 10:08 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 14, 2023 10:10 AM

I grew up watching it and rewatching it with my sister, so it's hard for me to be totally neutral. My boyfriend had a similar experience though he was an adolescent when it came out and was part of his sexual awakening (DiCaprio). We frequently quote the script, just because of how hokey it is.

by Anonymousreply 27July 14, 2023 10:15 AM

OP, did you take the Pollyanna Purple Prose seminar at the Sheboygan Conservatory? We're dying to hear why the 1990s were "a magical time".

by Anonymousreply 28July 14, 2023 10:37 AM

September 11 and Bush v. Gore both kind of ended an era, r28. Yes, I have 90s nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 29July 14, 2023 11:58 AM

R28, why such a cynic? Who hurt you?

People in their 30s today grew up in the 90s. People generally look back on childhood with nostalgia. Calm down. You've gotten yourself all worked up over nothing again.

by Anonymousreply 30July 14, 2023 12:10 PM

It's wild to think of how massive Celine Dion was with My Heart will Go On and Let's Talk About Love. That album sold as much as it did ALL due to one song. That's wild. I can't think of another album ruling the charts like that one did off of just one song.

by Anonymousreply 31July 14, 2023 12:27 PM

I owned the CD. This was my favorite track. It really is speculator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 14, 2023 12:30 PM

R28, weren't the 90s magical for you? Wasn't it the last decade you got laid? Or was that the 70s?

by Anonymousreply 33July 14, 2023 12:34 PM

R21 yeah that was too syrupy. It's like they were on shrooms.

R15 for the dialogue certainly.

by Anonymousreply 34July 14, 2023 1:00 PM

There was also a scene about a shooting star. Lots of these sappy scenes were cut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 14, 2023 1:03 PM

I watch the behind the scenes shooting of it. James Cameron kept referring to the "emotional through line" of the story and how they trim away scenes that didn't work.

It was very interesting to see his scientific approach to it.

by Anonymousreply 36July 14, 2023 1:07 PM

My god. The alternate ending plays like a parody. "Don't come closer! I'll drop it!" And the two nerds who pop up out of nowhere, for no reason, completely random. It's like an episode of Scooby Doo. Like they're going to yank off Gloria Stuart's face and shriek "We knew it! All along, YOU were the iceberg!"

What were they thinking? Was that ever shown to a test audience?

by Anonymousreply 37July 14, 2023 1:07 PM

Something about the love story of Jack and Rose didn't ring true to me. I remember having that thought the first time I saw it. It's a weak love story.

by Anonymousreply 38July 14, 2023 1:17 PM

R37, come on, "that really sucks, lady!" is Oscar-worthy dialogue!

by Anonymousreply 39July 14, 2023 1:18 PM

The worst line of the whole film occurs during the sinking, when a group of third-class passengers are huddled on the deck around the priest, and he's reciting the 23rd psalm: "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death ..." and Jack says, "Can you walk a little faster!"

by Anonymousreply 40July 14, 2023 1:22 PM

The problem with the alternative ending is that as soon as they see that she had the jewel all along they are going to want to punch her in the face, not accept her corny life lesson. They spent millions and risked lives to get that thing. The least she could have done was say “Don’t bother—it’s not there. “

Also, you know they are going to go back for it later.

by Anonymousreply 41July 14, 2023 1:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 14, 2023 1:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 14, 2023 2:20 PM

There was originally more focus on James Cameron's self-insert character, his search for the necklace, and his budding romance with Rose's granddaughter. Test audiences didn't give much of a damn, so a lot of it was cut.

by Anonymousreply 44July 14, 2023 3:12 PM

The only good part of the movie was the sinking. The rest was ridiculous and poorly acted. Of course it didn’t help that they were saddled with terrible dialogue

by Anonymousreply 45July 14, 2023 3:33 PM

I need to rewatch it this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 46July 14, 2023 5:28 PM

It would’ve been more believable if Cal fell in love with Jack, then Rose and her mother hatched a plan to get rid of Jack. They needed the money to live.

by Anonymousreply 47July 14, 2023 5:50 PM

It would've been more believable if Rose left Cal and married the iceberg, and they went off on their own honeymoon together, thus sparing the Titanic who would arrive in New York unscathed and on time. Final shot: Jack disembarks with Molly Brown, they share a knowing glance, and walk off arm-in-arm. The end. Roll credits.

by Anonymousreply 48July 14, 2023 5:55 PM

Titanic is 2 parts-Before and after the Iceberg

Before the Iceberg is "The Gilded Age in the North Atlantic in 1912" with Rose explaining all the First-class gossip to Jack, and Molly Brown has the "Mrs Vanderbilt" role& Rose's mom(Frances Fisher) has the Mrs. Astor roll. But Rose's mom is a broke -ass pimp selling her daughter to the highest bidder(Hot Billy Zane).

After the Iceberg (who should have been nominated for Best Supporting Destroyer of ocean liners), it is every person for themselves. The Rich are different, they got on the lifeboats first. I saw the movie about 6 months later with my work buddy, Erik the Viking. Erik turns to me and says" Did you have any family relations", stops and says"Oh that's right, you're white trash-you're in steerage" I told Erik" You know I would have been robbing the first-class cabins of jewelry& $$$" I would have gotten my faggot ass on the lifeboat.

by Anonymousreply 49July 14, 2023 7:23 PM

One the anniversary of the sinking a relative of the Countess of Rothes read her original letters recounting the sinking at a dinner we hosted. We served the same wines and entrees as they did on the ship.

by Anonymousreply 50July 14, 2023 7:40 PM

On the movie I have a couple of comments; Winset wears too much make-up, and it was freezing cold on the decks of the ship, she would always have worn a heavy coat and a hat, too.

by Anonymousreply 51July 14, 2023 7:55 PM

R51 true. My other issue is the length of time they spend swimming in the freezing water that killed most of the other passengers in minutes. That water they were wading through was just as cold as the water outside.

by Anonymousreply 52July 14, 2023 8:01 PM

I remember the release date for the film getting pushed back numerous times, because Cameron was still fussing with it. Delays like that are a bad sign, because it made it look like he was trying to salvage it. That it turned out to be a huge success caught me off guard.

by Anonymousreply 53July 14, 2023 10:15 PM

R37 yes they used test audiences to trim it down.

There was a longer drawn out chase scene where Cal's henchman chases them and tries to shoot them. Test audiences though it was absurd because the ship was already sinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 14, 2023 11:02 PM

Some of these deleted scenes are so silly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 14, 2023 11:05 PM

Rose sticks ice down Jacks back with ice off the ice berg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 14, 2023 11:07 PM

Saw it Christmas night the year it came out and we thought not many people would be at the movies. Man, were we wrong.

by Anonymousreply 57July 14, 2023 11:13 PM

The making is interesting.

As teenagers we I think we regarded it more like a documentary of what really happened on Titanic back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 14, 2023 11:17 PM

I was on a flight from BA London back to Housto and remember seeing a parody with Jennifer Saunders and Joanne Lumley. Funny as hell.

by Anonymousreply 59July 14, 2023 11:27 PM

On BA from London...

by Anonymousreply 60July 14, 2023 11:27 PM

Some of y'all say the acting was bad, but I disagree. There are some great performances by the historical players:

Kathy Bates as Molly Brown

Victor Garber as Thomas Andrews

Johnathan Hyde as J. Bruce Ismay

Bernard Hill as Captain Lee

Bernard Fox as Archibald Gracie

Eric Braeden as John Jacob Astor IV

Michael Ensign as Benjamin Guggenheim

Martin Jarvis and Rosalind Ayers as Sir Cosmo and Lady Duff-Gordon

Frances Fisher and David Warner are good too.

by Anonymousreply 61July 14, 2023 11:35 PM

R59 That’s a favorite of mine. Dawn French as Jack and the glasses stuck to the table.

by Anonymousreply 62July 15, 2023 12:29 AM

I grew up in the 90s similar to r22, hugely impactful movie as a tween viewing it then. My family didn't watch it until it came out on VHS, I remember it was two tapes in a Titanic themed box set that we bought. Im sure my mother still has it somewhere in her house.

Watching it now, I can't believe how bad some of the acting was lol. But I also know now what a challenge it was for James Cameron to finish it, and how the studio had to balance the love story and action. I know people will disagree, but I think Billy Zane was the best character and actor in this. James Cameron loved him too.

by Anonymousreply 63July 15, 2023 12:46 AM

I successfully avoided this bullshit for years, but this one friend would not shut up about it, "YOU especially will love it," and so . . . I will never get those hours back. It was every bit the crowd-pleasing trash I had anticipated: the cheesy-ass romantic frame story being totally unnecessary, and there was no way in hell that girl would have snuck off to go riverdance and sniff some third class dick. The costumes are not great either.

by Anonymousreply 64July 15, 2023 1:11 AM

R61 That's Captain Smith. But you're right, Bernard Hill is great in everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 15, 2023 1:15 AM

In real life the Kate Winslet character wouldn't have even spoken to the DiCaprio character

by Anonymousreply 66July 15, 2023 1:30 AM

Here’s all the deleted scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 15, 2023 2:26 AM

Thanks r67!

by Anonymousreply 68July 15, 2023 2:43 AM

If I'd been the unattractive granddaughter of Rose, I'd have been thrilled that the sinking of the Titanic serendipitously created the situation where I peak hotness Bill Paxton could bone me.

by Anonymousreply 69July 15, 2023 5:17 AM

Suzy Amis actually bagged James Cameron who was married at the time.

by Anonymousreply 70July 15, 2023 5:24 AM

^To LInda Hamilton

by Anonymousreply 71July 15, 2023 5:25 AM

If you ever want to see evidence of “patriarchy” look at the Titanic. 80% of the men died. 26% of women.

by Anonymousreply 72July 15, 2023 6:54 AM

zzzzz r72

by Anonymousreply 73July 15, 2023 7:04 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 15, 2023 10:02 AM

R73 Misandry.

It’s shocking how bad it’s on a board famous for gay men.

by Anonymousreply 75July 15, 2023 1:53 PM

Only half of the American adults on the Titanic could vote, r75.

by Anonymousreply 76July 15, 2023 1:56 PM

r44, that version sounds dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 77July 15, 2023 2:33 PM

Has our poster who claims Gloria Stuart was an unknown piece-of-wood been in yet? Followed by suggesting that Olivia DeHavilland should have played old Rose.

by Anonymousreply 78July 15, 2023 2:55 PM

R78 Please, it should have been Katharine Hepppbbbbaaaaarn.!

by Anonymousreply 79July 15, 2023 2:58 PM

French and Saunders were so funny.

Loved their Lord of the Rings Parody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 15, 2023 3:48 PM

I have a false memory of Kate showing her bush in the nude scene. Like R22 I remember being embarrassed as a kid in the cinema when she stripped off. I think I was too young to feel anything for Leo except that he was good looking. Nowadays Cal would definitely do it for me.

by Anonymousreply 81July 15, 2023 3:59 PM

Billy Zane was so hot. Girls at my school were like ugh no one thought was hot! I'm much would have preferred him a ravishing me with all of his muscular power and big Billy Zane dick than dirty little Leo's white willy. Leo looks like a girl in some shots.

by Anonymousreply 82July 15, 2023 4:24 PM

The night stars in Titanic don't look good. Totally fake looking.

by Anonymousreply 83July 15, 2023 4:43 PM

r82 I agree. This movie was extremely boring to me, especially the first half. Billy was the only thing that I really cared about.

by Anonymousreply 84July 15, 2023 4:49 PM

Billy Zane was fine even with a wig on bitches

by Anonymousreply 85July 15, 2023 6:08 PM

R76 Yeah and 80% of voters died so I don’t understand your logic.

If women weren’t deemed important to society, then why did they all live and the men died?

This is where feminist logic goes stupid.

by Anonymousreply 86July 15, 2023 6:14 PM

Most of the women who died on the Titanic were women who refused to leave their husbands.

by Anonymousreply 87July 15, 2023 6:14 PM

Women were deemed so worthless, 74% of them survived!

50% of the children died. More little children died than women.

The world was so sexist!

by Anonymousreply 88July 15, 2023 6:19 PM

Jesus christ, can the MRA troll give it a rest for ONE thread?

by Anonymousreply 89July 15, 2023 6:26 PM

It’s the 70th anniversary of the release of the 1953 version with Miss Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton Webb…the FX pales in comparison to the 1997 version, but the screenplay is superior.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 15, 2023 6:47 PM

The characters also seem more intelligent

by Anonymousreply 91July 15, 2023 7:05 PM

And less melodramatic

by Anonymousreply 92July 15, 2023 7:40 PM

R81 that’s not a false memory. The VHS tapes were 4:3 uncropped full screen and showed her bush and butt more.

by Anonymousreply 93July 15, 2023 7:43 PM

It's a shame Bette Davis wasn't still alive to play Old Rose. She would've been perfect, Kate Winslet slightly resembled a young Davis so the casting would've made sense in that way as well.

by Anonymousreply 94July 15, 2023 7:45 PM

[quote]Billy Zane was so hot.

Billy Zane could've dicked me down six ways to Sunday, he was gorgeous back then. Dicaprio did nothing for me, even though I was much closer in age to him than Zane.

by Anonymousreply 95July 15, 2023 7:46 PM

R94 old Rose was fond of her liquor and could have sparked up a ciggy after chucking the necklace overboard!

by Anonymousreply 96July 15, 2023 7:46 PM

Madonna was originally cast as Rose’s mom.

by Anonymousreply 97July 15, 2023 8:01 PM

It all seems so pointless now, Rose throwing the diamond in the ocean like that.

by Anonymousreply 98July 15, 2023 11:16 PM

The 'Heart Of The Ocean' was rather too ostentatious a gift to give a 17-year old bride anyway, even if it did look good between her perky bosoms.

Maybe Cal was hoping to get a little backdoor action ahead of the wedding by being so generous beforehand?

by Anonymousreply 99July 16, 2023 1:03 AM

Team Cal! Billy Zane was one of the first men to make me feel “funny” when I saw him in Dead Calm (which I watched again and again) when I was much too young, and he was just so perfect in Titanic. I’d have happily swapped places with Rose.

I’m surprised that Zane isn’t seen more. He brings such a weird, nervy energy to his roles, and I thought he would have been in much demand in his middle age as a character actor.

by Anonymousreply 100July 16, 2023 1:16 AM

Billy Zane could've made me choke on his thick Greek meat, the man was hot AF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 16, 2023 1:20 AM

Oh wow R100 I remember feeling funny too as a kid watching 'Dead Calm'. I didn't fully clock at the time it was Billy's ass that peaked my interest, I just remember thinking it wouldn't be so bad to be alone in that boat with him!

by Anonymousreply 102July 16, 2023 1:22 AM

Kate was horrible in this. Her only bad performance. I thought Julia Roberts, Jennifer Lopez or Jodie Foster was gonna get that slot.

by Anonymousreply 103July 16, 2023 1:26 AM

R103 are you on glue? Any of those three would have been awful choices and JLO might even have insisted on singing the theme song!

And as for Jodie posing "wearing this, and only this". That's an image I don't need!

by Anonymousreply 104July 16, 2023 1:33 AM

Hate it. Pabulum.

by Anonymousreply 105July 16, 2023 1:33 AM

I thought that Kate was the best thing about the film acting wise. The women in this film, like many of JC's films, are strong willed. Kate was held back by some of the dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 106July 16, 2023 1:35 AM

Umm, R104 on Siskel & Ebert's Memo To The Academy they had Julia and Helena B. Carter as the shoo ins.

by Anonymousreply 107July 16, 2023 1:36 AM

Again, you keep remaking the same threads. There is really something wrong with you.

by Anonymousreply 108July 16, 2023 1:53 AM

R40 Sorry hun, the worst line is Rose’s “I saw the iceberg, and I see it again in your eyes!”

by Anonymousreply 109July 16, 2023 1:53 AM

Not only does he keep making the same threads over and over, he is over 90% of the comments on this thread. Fucking. Insane.

by Anonymousreply 110July 16, 2023 1:56 AM

Huh, r108/r110?

by Anonymousreply 111July 16, 2023 2:37 AM

Maybe one day AI will swap Billy Zane and Leo's parts. Leo can be the controlling psycho and Billy Zane can be the life love who just wants to fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 16, 2023 2:40 AM

R107 haha sorry, I'm half asleep, I thought you meant Jodie, JLO or Julia for the role of Rose!

by Anonymousreply 113July 16, 2023 2:41 AM

Ha. No Julia was widely expected to be nominated for My Best Friend's Wedding which was a curious omission. Jodie for Contact and JLo for Selena were contenders. I hated everything about Titanic other than the production values so I can't be a good judge here. The writing and acting were amateur in my eyes. But I haven't seen it years. I also find Forrest Gump laughable

by Anonymousreply 114July 16, 2023 2:46 AM

I cried when the ship sank, but I laughed when Jack turned into Jack Frost in the ocean.

I agree with the poster upthread that Jack and Rose should have frozen long before because they were wading through freezing water for ages while running around the ship.

by Anonymousreply 115July 16, 2023 3:00 AM

Dreadful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 16, 2023 3:03 AM

The sinking was done well and that's what everyone went to see. It was a huge crowd pleaser and I think it deserved the oscar.

by Anonymousreply 117July 16, 2023 3:05 AM

Wait. Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon and Degas's L'Étoile went down with the Titanic?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 16, 2023 12:01 PM

I'd like a cup of tea when I return, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 16, 2023 12:37 PM

It's a shame that the sumptuous sets and costumes were tainted by such god-awful dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 120July 16, 2023 12:44 PM

I hated it when Rose and Jack were on the fantail as the ship was sinking and Rose says, “Jack…this is where we first met!”.

by Anonymousreply 121July 16, 2023 2:42 PM

I think some of the success was the timing. In the late 90s, the last living memories of the Edwardians were passing and I think society unconsciously knew that. Similar effect of Gone With the Wind in the 1930s as the living memories of the Civil War were passing.

by Anonymousreply 122July 16, 2023 3:40 PM

r122 great observation. GWTW came out 74 years after the end of the Civil War; Titanic came out 85 years after the sinking of the ship.

by Anonymousreply 123July 16, 2023 3:45 PM

Such vapid unlikeable characters.

by Anonymousreply 124July 16, 2023 4:04 PM

[quote]I hated it when Rose and Jack were on the fantail as the ship was sinking and Rose says, “Jack…this is where we first met!”.

And this is where we're gonna DIE you FAT BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 125July 16, 2023 4:09 PM

Do you think Jack impregnated Rose in that car or did the cold water freeze all his spunk mid-stream?

by Anonymousreply 126July 16, 2023 4:56 PM

Rose was the original Fat Whore

by Anonymousreply 127July 16, 2023 5:01 PM

In my reconception of the film, it would focus on three couples -- perhaps young, middle aged, and old -- and show how they each negotiated the sinking. No flashbacks, no narrations.

by Anonymousreply 128July 16, 2023 5:22 PM

R128 isn't that similar to A Night To Remember, in that it didn't just focus on one couple?

Cameron could have filmed several different stories concurrently on that super-expensive set and released multiple movies!

by Anonymousreply 129July 16, 2023 6:51 PM

Oh god, don't give him any ideas

by Anonymousreply 130July 16, 2023 7:23 PM

lol r130

by Anonymousreply 131July 17, 2023 3:51 AM

Great scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 17, 2023 10:58 AM

I watched all the outtakes posted above. Leo had some good acting moments in those clips. KW was beautiful in this film.

by Anonymousreply 133July 17, 2023 11:50 AM

It must’ve taken hours to get dressed up and getting one of those elaborate psyche knot hairdos. The actress who played Madeleine Astor - her hair was overwhelming. She should have toppled over.

by Anonymousreply 134July 17, 2023 12:52 PM

I enjoyed it when it came out- but less over time. I don’t like it when Hollywood screws up- there were no battery powered flash lights in 1911 and true lighting on the ship was nuts. Also an upper class young woman would never wear as much makeup as Rose- these kind of things bother me. Billy Zanecwas weak but everyone else great. Loved the actress who played Rose’s nom and of course Kathy Bates.

by Anonymousreply 135July 17, 2023 2:41 PM

[quote] Also an upper class young woman would never wear as much makeup as Rose- these kind of things bother me.

Well, Mary Poppins was set in 1910 and look at all the slap plastered over Julie Andrews's face. Everyone must have thought she was a lady of the night.

by Anonymousreply 136July 17, 2023 2:47 PM

One of the scenes that annoys me most is the one where Murdoch accepts a bribe from Cal. Murdoch was one of the heroes of the Titanic, and Cameron sullied his name just to make the viewers hate Cal (who was already a total panto villain) that little bit more.

by Anonymousreply 137July 17, 2023 2:52 PM

He didn't really kill himself either did he?

by Anonymousreply 138July 17, 2023 6:52 PM

I watched it over the weekend. It didn't seem as real as when I saw it when I was a teenager. Some parts seems extremely silly.

by Anonymousreply 139July 17, 2023 6:53 PM

There are so many cringeworthy lines of dialogue to pick from but some that come to mind right now:

[quote]Maid: What's the artist's name?

[quote]Rose: [bold]Something Picasso.[/bold]

[quote]Cal: Something Picasso, he won't amount to a thing. He won't.

by Anonymousreply 140July 17, 2023 7:03 PM

R138 - there are reports that an officer did shoot himself shortly after shooting passengers who were rushing for a lifeboat. There's a pretty good chance it was Murdoch. However, I don't think it happened the way it was portrayed in the film, i.e. Murdoch shooting himself out of remorse for having killed people. In 1912 it would be considered heroic, not shameful, for an officer to shoot men who were potentially going to swamp a boat. I suspect the officer in question felt that in having filled the lifeboats, he had completed his duty, and there was nothing left to do but kill himself quickly and painlessly. The alternative was to wait to drown or die of hypothermia.

by Anonymousreply 141July 17, 2023 7:58 PM

Saw it opening night at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood. Turns out Cameron and DiCaprio were watching from the balcony. One of the great movie theater experiences. I can remember the scene in the ocean, after everyone drown- the SILENCE with 1500 people sitting there enraptured. Also, I remember the sobs when Jack died. I loved it. I remember thinking that must've been what it was like seeing Gone with the Wind in its first run.

But, when I saw it again a few months later, it's flaws were more apparent. "JACK!" "ROSE!" Enough with the name yelling. And there are some clunky scenes.

by Anonymousreply 142July 17, 2023 8:15 PM

R135 I agree. I remember coming out of the theater loving Kathy Bates as Molly.

by Anonymousreply 143July 17, 2023 8:17 PM

The best bit in the French & Saunders sketch is when Rose is lying on the raft, quietly singing "Believe" by Cher.

by Anonymousreply 144July 17, 2023 8:42 PM

If Rose had returned Cal's diamond to him after the 1929 stock market crash maybe he wouldn't have killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 145July 17, 2023 8:55 PM

This is a very detailed overview of the women's wardrobe in movie. They recreated the looks of the time with great accuracy and of course the designer won an Oscar for it in 1998.

Like r135 said the makeup was their only exception...Kate Winslet greatly benefited from tasteful late 90s makeup to make her look less like a girl, so her relationship with Cal wouldn't seem too creepy to modern audiences. While she was far from ugly Kate was not a Hollywood goddess beauty, the studio was not going sell this movie without giving her a little sex appeal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 17, 2023 10:53 PM

R145 Hilarious

by Anonymousreply 147July 18, 2023 2:50 AM

[quote]"JACK!" "ROSE!" Enough with the name yelling.

So true. I remember (at 13) being annoyed that they didn't have more lyrical names since we heard them so much.

by Anonymousreply 148July 18, 2023 3:09 AM

I’m never seen this movie. It looks pretty stupid

by Anonymousreply 149July 18, 2023 4:01 AM

Then why post on the thread, r149?

by Anonymousreply 150July 18, 2023 4:17 AM

"I know what ice fishing is!"

"Sorry."

I don't think I appreciated how bad the dialogue is when I watched it at 13. I may watch it again and just look for anachronisms.

by Anonymousreply 151July 18, 2023 10:43 AM

What is worse than the anachronism is Cameron's painful attempts to put dialogue in his characters' mouths that he thinks "sounds" from 1912.

by Anonymousreply 152July 18, 2023 10:53 AM

"You are so annoying! [starts walking away] Wait. I don't have to leave. This is my part of the ship. You leave!"

"Ho ho ho! Well well well! Now who's being rude?"

"What is this stupid thing you're carrying around."

by Anonymousreply 153July 18, 2023 11:00 AM

I find it HIGHLY unlikely that third-class Jack would be allowed to gallivant around the first-class area of the boat deck with Rose.

by Anonymousreply 154July 18, 2023 11:08 AM

Rose was actually trans. They were having a torrid affair with the maid Trudy. The story is really about trans accepting themselves, even in dire situations. Did you know that the first person to spot the iceberg was actually a trans woman of color out on deck?

by Anonymousreply 155July 18, 2023 11:46 AM

[quote]Billy Zane was so hot.

Naturally. He's from the Midwest. They tend to grow them beautiful there, for some reason. Plus, both of his parents are of Greek descent.

[quote]Billy Zane could've dicked me down six ways to Sunday, he was gorgeous back then. Dicaprio did nothing for me, even though I was much closer in age to him than Zane.

[quote]Billy Zane was so hot. Girls at my school were like ugh no one thought was hot! I'm much would have preferred him a ravishing me with all of his muscular power and big Billy Zane dick than dirty little Leo's white willy. Leo looks like a girl in some shots.

Where were you guys in my life back then? 😂 I was in high school, too, and felt like an outcast because all my girl friends were into Leo and I preferred Zane, who was masculine and hotter to me.

Those were the early days of the Internet (Google debuted that same year) and my family wasn't hooked up yet, so I literally had nobody to discuss my crush with. 🤣

by Anonymousreply 156July 18, 2023 11:59 AM

The ending gets me every single damn time.

Has Rose died and her "heaven" is the Titanic's grand staircase where Jack is waiting for her? Or is she just dreaming?

by Anonymousreply 157July 18, 2023 12:06 PM

I never got Billy Zane. Like, at all. HE'S the one who seemed to be wearing makeup!

by Anonymousreply 158July 18, 2023 12:06 PM

Billy Zane's hair and camp performance make it hard for me to see him as sexy here. I liked him in Orlando from some years before this.

by Anonymousreply 159July 18, 2023 12:11 PM

I find it amusing that the film went through all the trouble to get the look of the ship and 1912 fashions just right... except for Leo.

His hair is too long and unstyled. Even poor men back then combed their hair and took pride in their appearance. Thus, it should have been slicked back the entire time, like he wore it during the 1st class meal.

That was the only time he looked 'period' and 'authentic' in the movie. Otherwise, he resembled a time traveler, because he was the epitome of a 1990s teenager, complete with curtain bangs.

Furthermore, Jack should have been wearing a hat in the outdoor scenes. Everyone did back then. As did everyone in this movie but him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160July 18, 2023 12:43 PM

Cameron’s massive ego would not allow him to hand over the screenwriting duties to someone more capable than himself. But then, he wrote it so it could appeal to teenage girls…so I guess he knew what he was doing. But so much of the dialogue was unfortunate. I loved the sets, costumes and special effects. My least favorite scene was when Cal goes postal with Lovejoy’s gun. Absolutely preposterous.

by Anonymousreply 161July 18, 2023 12:49 PM

Cal/Callie was the real trans character!

by Anonymousreply 162July 18, 2023 1:03 PM

R162 yes Cal liked to wear Rose’s fine dresses 👗 She looked very pretty but those scenes were cut due to timing issues. That’s the reason Cal is always in drag makeup - he kept moving from one scene to the next.

by Anonymousreply 163July 18, 2023 1:26 PM

R155 what if old Rose was actually the maid Trudy, inserting herself into a fantasy romance she only saw through keyholes and by sniffing Rose's knickers?

by Anonymousreply 164July 18, 2023 1:28 PM

Cal was hot, but he wasn't even an interesting villain.

Watching it again makes me think: so many of the characters actions don't really make sense. Their motivations are poorly expressed.

by Anonymousreply 165July 18, 2023 1:29 PM

Also, how was Jack allowed to hang out at the bow of the ship without being escorted back to third class? Wouldn't the crew have noticed him?

by Anonymousreply 166July 18, 2023 2:13 PM

Could it be made today? The cast are lily white. Where’s the diversity? Too much patriarchy onboard.

by Anonymousreply 167July 18, 2023 2:33 PM

[quote] The Titan implosion made me nostalgic for the late 1990s. What a magical time!

What's so magical about the late 1990's?

by Anonymousreply 168July 18, 2023 2:37 PM

As I posted upthread, r168: September 11 and Bush v. Gore both kind of ended an era.

by Anonymousreply 169July 18, 2023 2:44 PM

"This is bad." -Jack, after they hit the iceberg

by Anonymousreply 170July 18, 2023 2:52 PM

[quote]Too much patriarchy onboard.

You're an idiot and I know this is just how trolls like you are, but there were actually strong feminist themes in the plot and especially in the character of Rose.

by Anonymousreply 171July 18, 2023 2:54 PM

R166 Exactly. Posing on the very front of the ship would require navigating to the forecastle deck, which would be very tricky, as there are steep stairs to climb. Plus the forecastle itself is cluttered with heavy equipment (cranes and such), as well as several gates blocking access. It was definitely not a place where passengers would have been permitted. Not to mention, they would have been in full view of whoever was on duty up in the crow's nest, who surely would have yelled at them to sod off. Or used the crow's nest phone to call the bridge and summon someone to escort them back to passenger areas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172July 18, 2023 3:02 PM

It seems like some of you have pretty poor memory of what the late 1990s were actually like.

For one thing, it was a great time to be gay; we were enjoying increased visibility and political power, while nearly 2 decades of unrelenting horror under AIDS was finally lifting, with new drug therapies undoing the "death sentence" HIV previous meant. For anyone who was gay and just entering adulthood in the 90s -- people in their 40s and 50s today -- it was an incredibly optimistic period.

Second, we were on the cusp of the dot-com boom. The economy was strong and many were achieving economic freedom under the Clinton economy. As others noted, 9/11 and Bush v. Gore were years away. Monica was an unknown White House intern. The Cold War was a memory and the US was the undisputed superpower of the world.

There's also a lot of nostalgia that's only clear in hindsight. The 90s were the last decade before smart phones and social media. It was a more innocent time; right wing media was relegated to talk radio, something only old people listened to, and one measly, nascent cable network, FOX news, which only debuted in 1996.

It wasn't sunshine and rainbows for everyone, but the 1990s were, in many ways, for most of us I think, a better era than the one we live in now.

by Anonymousreply 173July 18, 2023 3:05 PM

r172 I love that the anchor is still down there, exactly as it was in 1912

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 18, 2023 3:07 PM

"Mr. Andrews. I saw the iceberg, and I see it in your eyes." -Rose

by Anonymousreply 175July 18, 2023 3:12 PM

Cal and Lovejoy were fucking, right?

by Anonymousreply 176July 18, 2023 3:15 PM

Lovejoy always makes me think of joystick.

by Anonymousreply 177July 18, 2023 3:22 PM

I watched A Night to Remember on You Tube last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done!

by Anonymousreply 178July 18, 2023 3:33 PM

"I'd rather be his whore than your wife!" -Rose

by Anonymousreply 179July 18, 2023 3:42 PM

Alright, R176, but he insisted. I said only if he wore Rose's dresses and that eyeliner she picked up at Ulta the week before.

by Anonymousreply 180July 18, 2023 3:46 PM

Poor Miss Trudy…such an undignified way to die, sliding down the deck and a sinking ship and having your pantaloons flapping in the air as you slide towards your doom…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 18, 2023 4:33 PM

R173 good points, all. The '90s was a special time, and I'm so glad to have been 22 in 1992.

Have you seen the American Crime Story about Andrew Cunanan? I though that was an excellent portrait of the different aspects of being a young gay male in the '90s.

by Anonymousreply 182July 18, 2023 4:38 PM

The clubs were fun back then. No cameras anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 183July 18, 2023 4:47 PM

You could still smoke in bars and restaurants into the 2000s.

I remember McDonald's was among the first eating establishments to ban smoking in the mid-'90s.

Joe Camel ads/billboards were also phased out in that decade. I loved those as a kid.

They didn't influence me to smoke. I just thought the artwork was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 184July 18, 2023 5:13 PM

r160 Im sure the studio wouldve promptly fired Cameron if they got dailies back with 20 year old "heartthrob" Leo with a fucking hat on. As if! They made his little ass as 90s sexy as possible, for the same reason they made Kate wear a face of 90s makeup. They already had dwindling hopes for the movie, until it became a phenomenon of course.

by Anonymousreply 185July 18, 2023 10:43 PM

It's funny because I felt way more emotion watching it in the '90s. I felt sorry for the people of the Titanic.

After watching it now I'm like God these people suck. Fuck them.

Rose should have froze and Cal should have been telling the story about his the time his slut fiance went slumming with a vagabond she only knew a day.

by Anonymousreply 186July 18, 2023 10:57 PM

[quote] The clubs were fun back then. No cameras anywhere.

Well yeah, point well taken.

by Anonymousreply 187July 18, 2023 11:05 PM

Anyone who grew up watching disco hairstyles on Little House and Happy Days knows that hair and makeup are always the giveaways when hollywood attempts "period accuracy."

by Anonymousreply 188July 18, 2023 11:08 PM

R188 I wish they try a little harder to replicate the exact styles.

by Anonymousreply 189July 19, 2023 2:28 AM

r186 hits the nail on the head. None of the main characters -- Rose, her mother, Jack, Cal, Old Rose -- were particularly endearing.

by Anonymousreply 190July 19, 2023 3:49 AM

"Could it be made today? The cast are lily white. Where’s the diversity? Too much patriarchy onboard."

There were actually non-white people aboard but the DL republicans never stop complaining about "diversity"

by Anonymousreply 191July 19, 2023 3:57 AM

"Most of the women who died on the Titanic were women who refused to leave their husbands."

No, the ones who died were mostly poor women in 3rd class

by Anonymousreply 192July 19, 2023 3:59 AM

"If they made it today, Rose would be black, Jack would be non-binary, and the iceberg would be our lord and savior President Trump!"

by Anonymousreply 193July 19, 2023 4:11 AM

R181 I never knew before that was Trudy the Maid they met as the ship sank!

by Anonymousreply 194July 19, 2023 7:50 AM

R194, are you talking about the blonde woman at the very end, when Jack and Rose are clinging to the railing at the stern? I believe that woman was named Helga and was Fabrizio's love interest, though that may only be in deleted scenes.

by Anonymousreply 195July 19, 2023 8:59 AM

I thought R181 meant Trudy was the woman falling down the ship?

by Anonymousreply 196July 19, 2023 9:12 AM

R151 in that scene, the anachronism was when Jack mentions almost drowning as a child while ice fishing on Lake Wissota in Wisconsin.

Fact is, Lake Wissota is a man-made reservoir that didn't begin construction until 1915 and wasn't filled until 1917.

by Anonymousreply 197July 19, 2023 9:12 AM

Did Jack take Rose in her alternate opening to avoid an illegitimate concern? I guess it wasn't implied

by Anonymousreply 198July 19, 2023 9:36 AM

Thanks, r197!

by Anonymousreply 199July 19, 2023 9:58 AM

Jack likely hadn't had a bath in days

by Anonymousreply 200July 19, 2023 10:02 AM

One of the most unrealistic scenes is when Cal invites Jack to dinner -- both from a character standpoint, and also from a social standpoint. It would never have happened.

by Anonymousreply 201July 19, 2023 11:55 AM

This behind-the-scenes footage of the sinking is pretty cool and impressive.

Nowadays, it would all be CGI'ed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202July 19, 2023 12:01 PM

Four first class women died on the Titanic. Three because they would not leave their husbands. One because she did not get into a lifeboat in time.

by Anonymousreply 203July 19, 2023 12:54 PM

R203 that would be Rose wouldn’t it? The one who didn’t make it but then changed her name in NYC. The fat one who took up so much space on that panel of wood that Jack had to die a painful death? That selfish cunt?

by Anonymousreply 204July 19, 2023 12:58 PM

Mrs. Allison was stupid. She should have at least put her daughter in a lifeboat. Maybe it was panic. But neither Bess Allison or her husband did their daughter any favors by dragging Lorraine around with them.

by Anonymousreply 205July 19, 2023 1:12 PM

R201 if Jack had been unattractive or unwashed would Rose have even wanted him to be invited to dinner?

I agree it makes no sense, he might offer to help set him up when they dick in NY but not to spend any time with him

by Anonymousreply 206July 19, 2023 1:26 PM

As a plot device Cal inviting Jack to dinner, was a way to humiliate him and let Rose see him in an environment where he didn't belong. But it backfired. Rose was enamoured of the rough edged, artistic, brash beauty. Yes! I was disappointed that Cal didn't drown. I wanted it to be him standing there when the ship broke apart not Lovejoy. I was hoping Lovejoy would have fallen and got smashed by a propeller blade. Boom. Splat.

by Anonymousreply 207July 19, 2023 1:58 PM

Cal trying to shoot them just because she was jilting him was not in keeping with his personality.

by Anonymousreply 208July 19, 2023 2:02 PM

How do you take your caviar? Up me arse mate! Hahaha

by Anonymousreply 209July 19, 2023 2:07 PM

Jack's little speech at the dinner table which have people such a glow was a tad simplistic, no?

by Anonymousreply 210July 19, 2023 2:09 PM

EXT. LIFEBOAT - NIGHT

Yo, peep dis scene - Rose be clutchin' onto da edge of dat lifeboat, watchin' as dat big-ass Titanic be slowly sinkin' into dat icy ocean. Shit be cray, people be losin' they minds, but all Rose care 'bout is Jack, tryna stay afloat in dem ice-cold waters.

But hold up, there's somethin' unexpected - a chill-ass manatee poppin' up outta nowhere! This majestic sea creature be glidin' through the water like a boss, makin' waves of its own. It's like a freakin' mermaid come to life!

Jack, strugglin' to survive, spots the manatee and his face light up like a kid on Christmas mornin'. He can't believe his eyes, yo.

JACK (hyped) Damn, Rose! Look at dat manatee! It's like it came straight outta a dream!

Rose, still clingin' to dat lifeboat, be in awe too. She forgot all 'bout her worries 'cause this manatee be bringin' some much-needed joy to their dire situation.

ROSE (grinnin') You right, Jack! That manatee be a ray of sunshine in this messed up scenario.

The manatee, as if it sensed their admiration, swim closer to Jack and Rose. It's like they be sharin' a moment, a connection across species.

As the Titanic keeps sinkin', Jack and Rose be floatin' together, with the manatee by their side. It's like they got a guardian angel in the form of this gentle giant.

CAL, watchin' from da lifeboat, be dumbfounded by the sight. He can't wrap his head 'round the fact that a freakin' manatee be chillin' with Rose and Jack.

CAL (dazed) What in the world...? A manatee? Seriously?

But Cal's disbelief don't matter to Jack and Rose. They be feelin' an overwhelming sense of peace and comfort, knowin' that they ain't alone in this mess.

As the night wears on, the manatee stays with them, guidin' them through the cold waters. It's like the universe sent this majestic creature to keep them safe.

In the distance, they hear rescue boats comin' closer. Hope sparkles in their eyes as they spot the lights, thinkin' they might have a chance to survive.

But the manatee, havin' done its duty, quietly slips away into the depths of the ocean. Jack and Rose, filled with gratitude, watch it go with a mix of sadness and awe.

ROSE (grateful) Thank you, Mr. Manatee. You showed us that even in the darkest times, there can be beauty and companionship.

JACK (nodding) Yeah, man. That manatee be a symbol of hope, a reminder that nature be lookin' out for us.

As the rescue boat finally reaches them, Jack and Rose be pulled to safety, forever changed by their encounter with the manatee. They be tellin' the tale of their unlikely companion, spreadin' the magic of that moment like wildfire.

FADE OUT.

by Anonymousreply 211July 19, 2023 2:18 PM

[quote] Jack's little speech at the dinner table which have people such a glow was a tad simplistic, no?

The entire movie dialogue is a tad simplistic but the spectacle still amazes.

by Anonymousreply 212July 19, 2023 2:28 PM

What's R211 tripping on?

by Anonymousreply 213July 19, 2023 2:38 PM

His own ego, R213. Seems to be deluded into thinking he's somehow funny or amusing to other people.

by Anonymousreply 214July 19, 2023 2:52 PM

Well, I applaud R211's effort.

by Anonymousreply 215July 19, 2023 3:06 PM

My 2 personal favorite scenes of the movie Titantic is when the glass roof breaks and the water rushes in& John Jacob Astor is at the top of the stairs watching in a panic. I of course, start yelling at the screen, "Where's ur Money God Now Astor"? "All the Money in the world ain't gonna save you, Ur going to HELL muthafucka!!".

by Anonymousreply 216July 19, 2023 3:33 PM

Isn't that just one scene, Phillywhore?

by Anonymousreply 217July 19, 2023 3:42 PM

I will mention the other scene later, OP, because I got a call from NYC(work) and I have to take certain calls.

I am a Nice Person(sometimes).

by Anonymousreply 218July 19, 2023 4:00 PM

Thanks, Phillywhore/r218. (I am OP but not r217)

by Anonymousreply 219July 19, 2023 4:01 PM

R217 didn't John Jacob Astor get killed by a falling steam funnel? Not sure about the movie.

by Anonymousreply 220July 19, 2023 4:04 PM

Thank you, PW - I always enjoy your posts.

by Anonymousreply 221July 19, 2023 4:10 PM

No one knows exactly how he died, R220, because anyone who saw it is dead. Capish? The falling steam tunnel thing in the movie fell on poor Fabrizio who was swimming like a motherfucker, but alas.

by Anonymousreply 222July 19, 2023 4:25 PM

The dialogue definitely is often silly and clunky upon rewatch. But I can still watch it; and it doesn't drag despite the length. I do like the bifurcation of the two halves of the film. Such a clear cut shift.

by Anonymousreply 223July 19, 2023 5:00 PM

Is it true that Rose's mother was discretely tending to Cal's manly needs in order to save Rose's virtue?

by Anonymousreply 224July 19, 2023 5:09 PM

[quote]was discretely tending to Cal's manly needs

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 225July 19, 2023 5:11 PM

Lol fine discreetly!

by Anonymousreply 226July 19, 2023 5:19 PM

The film would have been greatly improve by the use of Ms Eva Hart as the elderly Rose.

Ms Hart would have brought the benefit of being an actual survivor of the ship, and of evincing an ever-so-slightly cunty attitude which would have cut through the schmaltz very nicely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227July 19, 2023 5:44 PM

People that shit on this movie, not talking about those that just don't like it much, are weird. It is true Hollywood epic in scale and execution. It balance romance movie for women, with action sequence for men. This is why it was such a hit, everyone could at least be entertained by some section of the movie. The ice berg to Statue of Liberty segment is really really well done action-drama. I was 6 when this came out. Sat mesmerized. Forced my parents to each take me twice. They were in the middle of a nasty divorce so I could play them off each other and they liked that I had a distraction.

I still watch it once or twice a year and openly admit that it's one of my favorite "older" movies.

by Anonymousreply 228July 19, 2023 5:50 PM

I may watch it about once a year, but I do it for the visuals, which still hold up.

by Anonymousreply 229July 19, 2023 5:54 PM

R227 thanks for posting, she was a gem. Her mother sounded a bit nuts though, you pay a fortune to board Titanic and you spend your days sleeping?

by Anonymousreply 230July 19, 2023 5:54 PM

R228 did they cover your eyes when Rose got her baps out?

by Anonymousreply 231July 19, 2023 5:56 PM

I remember when the film was finally released on VHS, some family video store edited out that nude scene and got in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 232July 19, 2023 5:59 PM

r231 my parents had been taking me to rated-R movies for a year at least by that time, not great mom and dad, so I knew the drill. Any sex scenes or nudity, I'd cover my eyes and they would check to make sure I did.

I remember a pool party where I showed off the nude scene to my friends on the old 2-box VHS. That was also the night a boy named Paul made me feel my first male attraction (Leo D. would technically be mu first) as we somehow ended up holding hands while looking up at the stars in my pool. That moment made me think of Titanic. When we finally went inside, I told him and my other friends to follow me to my room to see Kate's tits. I was probably 9 or 10 by then. Weird kid shit; trying to impress my friends.

by Anonymousreply 233July 19, 2023 6:05 PM

I read that Eva didn’t care for Millvina Dean, who was only a couple of months old when she sailed on TITANIC with her family. Because her stories were all second hand information passed to her by her mother; Eva was old enough to have witnessed the sinking. She said that Millvina was not genuine enough. A geriatric catfight….

by Anonymousreply 234July 19, 2023 6:10 PM

R233 awe that's sweet. Did you date him later?

by Anonymousreply 235July 19, 2023 6:14 PM

Way too much drama in this thread about this and that. The movie was a freaking phenomenon despite some early worries before the release. It will be talked about and remembered FOREVER. A true classic. Move on

by Anonymousreply 236July 19, 2023 6:15 PM

Probably the last great Hollywood blockbuster.

by Anonymousreply 237July 19, 2023 6:18 PM

Mark-Paul Gosselaar should have been cast as Jack

by Anonymousreply 238July 19, 2023 6:19 PM

Agreed r205. Couldn’t they have guessed that the nanny had taken their son and gotten into a lifeboat?

by Anonymousreply 239July 19, 2023 7:19 PM

Why didn't Jack just fuck Rose in the stateroom after she bared her beaver for him? She had to drag him into the back of that car to get her hands on his woody

by Anonymousreply 240July 19, 2023 7:59 PM

Billy Zane has mad FMD energy. No cap.

by Anonymousreply 241July 19, 2023 8:00 PM

Unfortunately Billy Zane has turned into Telly Savalas. Mother Nature can be a real BITCH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242July 19, 2023 8:14 PM

R242 still a “Fuck me, Daddy!”

by Anonymousreply 243July 19, 2023 8:16 PM

Another strange decision by Cameron: throwing in a pointless romance between Jack's Italian friend and a Norwegian girl. Fortunately, it was cut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244July 19, 2023 8:51 PM

I would have liked to see a spark of something between Fabrizio and the Swede. It would have made her plunge into oblivion all the more emotional.

by Anonymousreply 245July 19, 2023 9:07 PM

R245 her name was Helga

by Anonymousreply 246July 19, 2023 9:46 PM

"Why didn't Jack just fuck Rose in the stateroom after she bared her beaver for him? She had to drag him into the back of that car to get her hands on his woody."

Didn't Cal's enforcer/assistant guy come near the end when they were putting the pictures back in the safe? I don't know how much time had elapsed, but it seemed like they didn't have time to fuck before he appeared.

by Anonymousreply 247July 19, 2023 9:46 PM

R247 Rose had put her undercrackers back on by that point so there was no serious intent

by Anonymousreply 248July 19, 2023 9:53 PM

Before the release of the film Titanic, studio executives were worried that it would be a commercial failure. Sony had paid $800,000 for the rights to the soundtrack album and were hoping it would include a theme song. However, the director, James Cameron, did not want to end Titanic with a pop song, feeling it would be inappropriate.

James Horner initially composed the music for "My Heart Will Go On" as an instrumental motif for the film soundtrack.Wanting to prepare a vocal version to use during the end credits, he enlisted the lyricist Will Jennings, who wrote the lyrics "from the point of view of a person of a great age looking back so many years". Horner showed the song to Simon Franglen, who was working with him on electronic textures and synthesizers for the film score. Franglen suggested Céline Dion, with whom he had worked on many of her hits. Dion initially did not want to record it, as she had already recorded the film songs "Beauty and the Beast" and "Because You Loved Me". However, her husband and producer, René Angélil, convinced her to record a demo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249July 19, 2023 11:00 PM

Good a bye! I will a never a forgetta you!

The smoke stack falling on him was a shitty way to go. I thought he was hotter than Jack actually. Love dark hair and eyes.

by Anonymousreply 250July 19, 2023 11:26 PM

r249 and Celine laughs about it today, thanking her husband for pushing her on this one. Similar to Mariah finally appreciating "Hero" after 9/11 made her bank account very happy with that song.

I'd love to know how much Celine made off of her song.

by Anonymousreply 251July 19, 2023 11:26 PM

R242, you didn't lie! He does look like Telly Savalas!

by Anonymousreply 252July 19, 2023 11:35 PM

No one falls in love in three days like that. It would have made more sense if they had met in England and then Jack pursuing her to the ship.

by Anonymousreply 253July 20, 2023 1:19 AM

Someone in another thread suggested Elizabeth Taylor for old Rose. I could just hear her say "Ti-taaaaaaaanic."

by Anonymousreply 254July 20, 2023 1:48 AM

[quote]No one falls in love in three days like that.

It happens.

by Anonymousreply 255July 20, 2023 1:49 AM

It was 2

by Anonymousreply 256July 20, 2023 2:32 AM

[quote]No one falls in love in three days like that.

Apparently you've never seen a Hallmark Christmas movie.

by Anonymousreply 257July 20, 2023 2:55 AM

Romeo and Juliet, r253?

But Cameron is no Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 258July 20, 2023 2:55 AM

There must’ve been at least a dozen trans on the ship.

by Anonymousreply 259July 20, 2023 4:52 AM

Jack AND Rose were among them.

by Anonymousreply 260July 20, 2023 5:16 AM

R211 such egregious misuse of “be.” You don’t know what you’re doing!

by Anonymousreply 261July 20, 2023 6:24 AM

r261 NEEDS Billy Zane's thick Greek meat circa 1997 in her every orifice. Like, on her stomach getting fucked. Then on her back, getting the thick Greek meat in her mouth while he's shit talking up a storm.

And then when he cums in her mouth it's SO MUCH CUM it dribbles out the sides of her mouth and down her chin. So much cum it's bubbling. Bubbling Billy Zane cum.

And then when she opens her eyes he wipes his dick on the duvet (from Pottery Barn) and says he has to be somewhere and needs to leave.

And then the dumb bitch cries, with the dried cum on her face, knowing she will never see him again.

by Anonymousreply 262July 20, 2023 6:37 AM

LOL r262

by Anonymousreply 263July 20, 2023 8:40 AM

I want to read this now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264July 20, 2023 8:59 AM

FUTILITY: THE WRECK OF THE TITAN sounds like the perfect title for a movie about the recent submersible tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 265July 20, 2023 9:10 AM

Don't give James Cameron any ideas, r265

by Anonymousreply 266July 20, 2023 9:15 AM

If I were that granddaughter, I'd be fucking pissed she threw that jewel in the water. Crazy old bitch.

by Anonymousreply 267July 20, 2023 1:59 PM

Plus the dude putting his life savings into looking for the jewel which she brought with her at the time. Will he not continue to search for it?

by Anonymousreply 268July 20, 2023 2:05 PM

He thought that Rose had died.

by Anonymousreply 269July 20, 2023 2:09 PM

Young Rose and old Rose don't match physically. I always had an issue with that and since I didn't much care for Kate Winslet's performance I wonder who would have made a matchier young Rose for Gloria Stuart.

by Anonymousreply 270July 20, 2023 2:14 PM

R270 we were also supposed to believe that Winslet turned into Judi Dench in "Iris".

Why did you feel they didn't match? Was it because Gloria didn't have a great rack?

by Anonymousreply 271July 20, 2023 2:18 PM

I don't get why Rose held onto the necklace and felt it belonged at the bottom of the Ocean.

I also don't think as she matured she would have held so much resentment for her mother & Cal, neither of whom really did anything awful to her except expect her to conform to what was expected of a young girl in that era. The least she could have done was donate the rock to charity, her family or return it to Cal's family.

by Anonymousreply 272July 20, 2023 2:22 PM

So I guess the husband she would have had later was just a sperm donor? She must not have loved him if she ended up with Jack in the afterlife.

by Anonymousreply 273July 20, 2023 2:25 PM

Gwyneth Paltrow would have made a good match for Stuart.

I think she was even considered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274July 20, 2023 2:25 PM

The casting of Gloria Stuart was a bit weird. They were looking for an old Golden Age of Hollywood starlet, but there weren't many left by the mid-90s. Seeing someone like Bette Davis or Katharine Hepburn in this role would have definitely been a creative choice that altered the final film.

Instead we got a washed up pre-code queen who disappeared for decades, no one remembered, and re-entered the business as an elderly actor reduced to bit parts and glorified extra work.

In some ways her casting gave everyone a blank slate to project their expectations on, but in retrospect she was a little too blank. Her performance is distractingly mannered and restrained, her narration grates as the film drones on, and her physical presence, particularly at the end with her gingerly, trepidatious approach to drop the jewel off the side of the boat and that ludicrous little "gasp!" -- puhleaze. Such a hammy performance. And she evokes nothing of Kate Winslet's Rose. They're two different characters.

Bad casting. Putting a decade-younger actress with finely honed screen acting skills that never atrophied in that part with a face full of prosthetics would've worked better.

by Anonymousreply 275July 20, 2023 2:29 PM

Her mother treated her like a prized cow at a state fair…she basically whored her daughter out to the highest bidder. That’s awful. Ruth was an odious person.

by Anonymousreply 276July 20, 2023 2:29 PM

[quote] Why did you feel they didn't match? Was it because Gloria didn't have a great rack?

Gloria Stuart had Patrician looks, thin and very fine. Winslet... not. And don't get me started on Winslet and Judi Dench.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277July 20, 2023 2:33 PM

R276 I don't feel unsympathetic towards her mom as they had to survive and she wanted the best for Rose too. Not many people of their class married for love in those days.

Where I do find her to be a cunt is when they are talking about how many will likely die and she says something like "not the better ones". I would have spat in her face for that.

by Anonymousreply 278July 20, 2023 2:37 PM

r273 that detail always bothered me.

by Anonymousreply 279July 20, 2023 2:39 PM

R278 Cal said that. Ruth asked if the boats would be filled according to class. Heaven forbid if she had to sit with second class passengers or worse, steerage.

by Anonymousreply 280July 20, 2023 2:45 PM

R280 I was questioning myself if she said that or not! Sorry Rose's mom, you old pimp!

To be fair to her, she wasn't exactly pimping Rose to some fat old pervert. Cal was considered a great catch in spite of her awful personality.

by Anonymousreply 281July 20, 2023 2:51 PM

*his! That was a Freudian slip as I find Rose a bit insufferable and pathetic too

by Anonymousreply 282July 20, 2023 2:52 PM

Rose is utterly unlikeable as a character. Jack is barely tolerable. Cal and Ruth are like caricatures of villains.

by Anonymousreply 283July 20, 2023 2:54 PM

TITANIC would have been nominated for every available Oscar category if it had had a better-written script and antagonist (Cal).

It only missed out on Best Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor.

by Anonymousreply 284July 20, 2023 3:08 PM

True R284. What (relatively small) changes would have improved the screenplay? Apart from obviously improving the dialogue

by Anonymousreply 285July 20, 2023 3:11 PM

I thought Lightoller was a jerk myself. But yeah, most of the principal characters were not really nice folks.

by Anonymousreply 286July 20, 2023 3:15 PM

Improving the dialogue and beefing up the character of Cal. Explaining his motivations better, like why is he enamored of Rose? Or even IS he enamored? Why is he marrying her? We know why she's with him, but why is he withe her, because it's not love and it's not about the jewel, the jewel is already his. The only time we understand his pursuit of Rose is when he's literally chasing her to get the jewel. But why was he engaged to her in the first place? His intensity makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 287July 20, 2023 3:16 PM

Wait, it missed out on Best Actor, too.

I should've remembered because Leo made a stink about it.

Well, he didn't say anything publicly, but he didn't attend the Oscar ceremony to support his film/cast.

by Anonymousreply 288July 20, 2023 3:17 PM

I imagine that Ruth’s demise would be very similar to that of Lily Bart’s in “The House of Mirth”. Unless a wealthy relative took pity upon her and took her in.

by Anonymousreply 289July 20, 2023 3:22 PM

Maybe they could have given a scene to Cal being blown by his valet and saying her needs to marry that ginger tart as she'll never catch on.

by Anonymousreply 290July 20, 2023 3:54 PM

My gripe about Rose is her choice to become an actress once she made her way to CA. You're in hiding from your family and you become an actress?

by Anonymousreply 291July 20, 2023 4:34 PM

"Something Picasso" The silliest line in the history of movies.

by Anonymousreply 292July 20, 2023 4:34 PM

This thread had not disappointed.

Thanks, DL!

by Anonymousreply 293July 20, 2023 5:36 PM

R291 back then, the rich did not go to the Nickelodeon. They went to the THEATER…

by Anonymousreply 294July 20, 2023 5:43 PM

A James Cameron film is going to be nearly technically flawless, but the script is going to be flyblown dogshit.

You don’t watch Terminator or T2 or Aliens expecting such things as character development or logical motivations to be the primary concern.

It’s all about spectacle and how many dollars are spunked on the screen

by Anonymousreply 295July 20, 2023 5:51 PM

I loved the original Alien Trilogy. I thought Ripley was a great character.

by Anonymousreply 296July 20, 2023 5:55 PM

And the less said about Dances with Avatars, the better…

Anyway, Titanic.

I’m glad he got a few good British actors to support Charisma Vacuum DeCaprio and Katey Beaver.

Bernard Hill as Captain Smith brings the right sense of gravitas once he knows the gig is up and they are all on a one way ticket to the bottom of the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 297July 20, 2023 5:55 PM

R297 obviously, you have a beef with Americans.

I don't know who 'Katey Beaver' refers to, but Leo was not charisma free in TITANIC.

He was the reason why the movie was so popular with young women/girls and some gaylings.

Understandable. He was beautiful to look at, especially on a big screen.

by Anonymousreply 298July 20, 2023 6:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299July 20, 2023 6:05 PM

R299 Leo reminded me of Robert Wagner in an earlier version of the sinking of the Titanic. I believe it was called...Titanic with Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck both bearding for one another.

by Anonymousreply 300July 20, 2023 6:09 PM

I liked Thelma Ritter’s character in the 1953 film. For legal reasons the studio called her Maude Young instead of Molly Brown…but she had the best lines, and as usual, her delivery was flawless.

by Anonymousreply 301July 20, 2023 6:14 PM

I think that Cal’s family was new money. Rose came from a much more established family which would give Cal the air of respectability he craved.

by Anonymousreply 302July 20, 2023 6:14 PM

But the crash of 29 hit his interests hard and he put a pistol in his mouth that year, or so I’m told…

by Anonymousreply 303July 20, 2023 6:16 PM

As a kid I didn't see it's flaws but I now think the audience being expected to find Rose some amazing lady at the end is a bit off.

It was really cruel of her to let her mother think she'd drowned. Fair enough she wanted to get away from Cal but she could have at least got in contact once she was married and taken the old woman in.

If they'd wanted us to empathize more with Rose they should have cut that scene where Ruth breaks down and reasons with Rose, saying marrying her off to Cal isn't ideal but they have no choice as they're up shit creek.

by Anonymousreply 304July 20, 2023 6:21 PM

Funny, I think that scene makes Ruth far less sympathetic. It's also funny that you describe her bullying as "reasoning." She's actually very cruel, guilting Rose into giving up freedom and her own shot at love to enter into a likely abusive marriage that would provide for Ruth as well. And the tightening of the corset, so violent and clearly painful for Rose, who doesn't protest and clearly isn't shocked by it, hints at deeper, longstanding abuse from Ruth.

Team Rose. I would've left that bitch high and dry, too.

by Anonymousreply 305July 20, 2023 6:35 PM

Ruth would've gotten a settlement from the White Star Line, yes? And Rose probably had to forfeit that claim since she faked her death and took on a new identity.

Ruth was fine.

by Anonymousreply 306July 20, 2023 6:37 PM

Re: dead Rose being reunited with Jack rather than her husband - maybe Rose's marriage was simply unhappy? Maybe her husband had a mistress with whom he was reunited on death, or maybe she unwittingly married a gay man? That aspect of the ending never bothered me.

by Anonymousreply 307July 20, 2023 6:57 PM

[quote] Cal and Ruth are like caricatures of villains.

Cal is not a villain! He’s delightful. - He just doesn’t want to share that ungrateful wench with that foppish, floppy-haired twit!

Poor Cal, he deserved better.

by Anonymousreply 308July 20, 2023 7:11 PM

r308 = Lovejoy

by Anonymousreply 309July 20, 2023 7:12 PM

298 - my late partner was American.

Sounds like you have a problem with Brits, so wind your neck in.

by Anonymousreply 310July 20, 2023 7:33 PM

[quote]The casting of Gloria Stuart was a bit weird. They were looking for an old Golden Age of Hollywood starlet

They were looking for an old starlet?

by Anonymousreply 311July 20, 2023 7:44 PM

Well yes, moron, when you leave the operative phrase "Golden age of Hollywood" out that changes the meaning. They were looking for someone who was old enough to play the character but who people remembered as a young starlet.

by Anonymousreply 312July 20, 2023 7:49 PM

No, moron, they were looking for someone who had been a star during the Golden Age, not a starlet. You obviously don't even know the meaning of the word.

by Anonymousreply 313July 20, 2023 7:55 PM

Another deleted scene: little Cora's death. She didn't even live long enough to date Leo (which really isn't very long).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314July 20, 2023 8:06 PM

[quote]the worst line is Rose’s “I saw the iceberg, and I see it again in your eyes!”

What am I, chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 315July 20, 2023 8:07 PM

[quote]"A woman's heart is a deep ocean full of secrets"

What I notice most about this line is the way Gloria Stuart, old pro that she was, tries to toss it off, in the hope you won't notice what a clunker it is.

by Anonymousreply 316July 20, 2023 9:22 PM

Does anyone remember this well-made trailer for a faux TITANIC sequel?

It was posted shortly after YouTube was launched in 2005, but I couldn't find the original upload.

Anyway, I remember many people (including me) initially thought it was for real. 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317July 21, 2023 12:04 AM

The original thought for casting was McBongo and GOOP. He would have been far more credible as a survivor on the streets of Paris. She would have been a lot more credible as a patrician.

by Anonymousreply 318July 21, 2023 3:52 AM

It's a fantasy though. I don't think most viewers really had any credibility issues. They could just run with it.

by Anonymousreply 319July 21, 2023 3:57 AM

I saw this movie again when it was reissued in 3D around 2012. As the movie drew toward its conclusion, after Leo's death scene, you could hear what seemed like every woman in the packed theater sniffing away through the end titles. My partner and I were in stitches.

by Anonymousreply 320July 21, 2023 4:56 AM

Jack's character is probably the least awful, other than Molly Brown.

by Anonymousreply 321July 21, 2023 5:04 AM

I love all the YouTube comments that make Titanic seem like the Greatest Love Story Ever Told.

I just rewatched it, and for me, the only really, truly "magical" falling in love moment was when Jack was hanging out at the bow of the ship (totally unrealistic) a bit dejected and all of sudden Rose showed up. The lighting and music were perfect. Not realistic at all, but a touching, "they're falling in love" scene.

And then it was ruined by the "I'M FLYING!!!" nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 322July 21, 2023 8:13 AM

For people questioning the "reunited with Jack instead of her husband", don't forget Clark Gable opted to be buried beside Carole Lombard despite having a wife who gave him a son. Sometimes it's fine that the next relationship isn't "the one great love" but can still be happy.

And maybe in the afterlife she sees everyone, Jack & the Titanic victims were just the welcome committee

by Anonymousreply 323July 21, 2023 9:42 AM

Great interview. She died a couple of years before the film was released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324July 21, 2023 10:03 AM

All classic films have their Stan’s and detractors. As far as this film goes, I fall somewhere in the middle. Sorta like with THE TEN COMMANDMENTS in 1956. You know it’s campy and somewhat preposterous but you still get caught up in the spectacle.

by Anonymousreply 325July 21, 2023 12:31 PM

Funny someone mentioned Clark Gable. Jack in Titanic serves some of the same purposes that Rhett does in Gone with the Wind. The way Jack lets the air out of the pompousity of the first class passengers is similar to what Rhett does to the notion of "southern honor" in GWTW. Of course, he's aided by the delightful Molly Brown.

Even if some of the dialog is stilted, Cameron sure knows how to evoke an emotional response.

by Anonymousreply 326July 21, 2023 12:46 PM

Are people really THAT concerned with "realism" in movies like this? The quick love affair, hanging on the bow of the ship, the lighting on the ship, whether Jack would be allowed to walk around the first class deck, and on and on, whether Cal would actually marry a woman like Rose, whether Rose would actually look like she did, and on and on.

To be fair, I made the same point in another thread and was rightfully called out because I had, in yet another thread, made some sort of "realism" comment. But generally I just enjoy movies without worrying about whether everything is exactly right - as if the events in the movie actually happened and the film is supposed to be some sort of documentary.

by Anonymousreply 327July 21, 2023 1:13 PM

Poor Cal must have felt so let down, emasculated and unwanted when he found out his Rose had granted Jack access to her bush after a mere 2 days, when he hadn't even as much as received a soapy tit wank in over 1 year!

by Anonymousreply 328July 21, 2023 1:36 PM

[quote]Are people really THAT concerned with "realism" in movies like this? The quick love affair, hanging on the bow of the ship, the lighting on the ship, whether Jack would be allowed to walk around the first class deck, and on and on, whether Cal would actually marry a woman like Rose, whether Rose would actually look like she did, and on and on.

Well, yes, actually, it matters a lot to some of us, because it depicts a historic event, and one that happened remotely, with few surviving witnesses, before the advent of modern media. In a world of YouTube, TikTok and Twitter, people based their conceptions of history on popular videos and films, so accuracy really does matter.

I don't agree with the poor poster who claimed no one could fall in love in 2 days (I find that pretty sad, actually, I fell in love with my partner at first sight) or those debating who Jack or Rose would have married, etc. Those things are fictional and, past a certain point, aren't really worthy of much debate. Their stories aren't real so you can imagine any ending or details you want.

But the historic aspects, the look of the ship and how it actually went down, and the class differences and how they would have hindered a romance between first class and steerage passengers, matter to people who care about history. So many other people who watch historical fiction believe that it's actual history as it happened. So getting the parts that are based on reality as accurate as possible, matters.

Showing the lights staying lit as the ship sunk is a minor detail (and probably a concession to storytelling through film, where lighting matters too), but it's worth noting that for the people who experienced this event in reality, it was a lot different and probably much scarier to experience a sinking ship flooding with freezing cold water in total darkness. I think a more realistic portrayal of class differences would have helped the film, too.

by Anonymousreply 329July 21, 2023 2:36 PM

Titanic is a very old fashioned movie and it always reminded me of GWTW in many ways. The historic context, the class themes, the end-of-an-era themes, the defiant heroine (an English girl playing American), the doomed romance, the way the characters are introduced as they board the ship like the characters arriving at Twelve Oaks, the old fashioned love story told with the latest technology. Even that pull-back shot at the end revealing all the drowning souls when Rose is in the water so like the pull-back at the Atlanta train station.

by Anonymousreply 330July 21, 2023 2:54 PM

An historical event, that happened remotely, "with few surviving witnesses" lends itself to conjecture and relies heavily on both the imagination of the director and the proficiency of the technical skills he brings to the project. Surviving witnesses only saw their"slice" of the experience, they didn't see the "bigger picture" if you will. So while I think accuracy is desirable it is difficult if not impossible to achieve and all one can hope for is authenticity. What we see has to seem authentic and consistent with the actual event.

by Anonymousreply 331July 21, 2023 3:51 PM

I started watching Titanic (2012) today. I know it got panned by critics, but I am very much enjoying the intelligent dialogue.

To me, realistic scenarios, even among people who never existed, add to the historic realism of the event itself. The characters in Titanic (2012) were real to me. Jack and Rose? Not so much.

Something like The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly makes no claims about its historicity. It reads as myth, so I can suspend my belief and enjoy it, despite its ahistorical and unrealistic elements.

Titanic (1997) tries to do both: it tries to be realistic and also mythical. And to me, that's where it fails.

by Anonymousreply 332July 21, 2023 6:02 PM

That Eva Hart interview is fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 333July 21, 2023 8:23 PM

There should be a movie where one day everyone wakes up and forgets the concept of money.

by Anonymousreply 334July 22, 2023 12:04 AM

r328 Cal should've gone gay after that, if I was on that ship we'd be fucking the whole time!

by Anonymousreply 335July 22, 2023 1:23 AM

Rose and Jack hanging out at the bow of the ship became the most iconic image from the film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336July 22, 2023 7:58 AM

I liked Julian Fellowes's Titanic a lot. I found it just as moving -- actually, more moving -- than Cameron's film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337July 22, 2023 9:08 AM

I agree r333. She was very well-spoken.

by Anonymousreply 338July 22, 2023 1:50 PM

I wish Olivia Havilland had accepted the role of old Rose. No doubt she would have earned an Oscar nomination and would’ve gave a much better performance than Gloria Stuart.

by Anonymousreply 339July 22, 2023 10:37 PM

The best line by Gloria Stewart was when she was getting ready to tell the story and said it's been 84 years and they're like no no. Just whatever you can and she looks shocked. I think Olivia could have played it too

by Anonymousreply 340July 22, 2023 10:55 PM

Olivia would have been a casting coup. Or Joan even, who would have looked a lot more like Winslet than Gloria Stuart.

by Anonymousreply 341July 22, 2023 10:57 PM

Olivia and Joan were very beautiful.

Why did Cameron pick Stuart? She seems stuck up. What was her most famous role when she was younger?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342July 22, 2023 11:06 PM

Joan was lovely in Rebecca.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343July 22, 2023 11:09 PM

And then she got harassed by Homer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344July 23, 2023 1:05 AM

What the fuck was "magical" about the late 90's I'd like to know??

by Anonymousreply 345July 23, 2023 1:08 AM

That question has been addressed multiple times in this thread, r345

by Anonymousreply 346July 23, 2023 2:25 AM

r316 made me laugh out loud. I need to watch that scene again. Is it near the beginning?

by Anonymousreply 347July 23, 2023 12:09 PM

You don't even see her face when she says it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348July 23, 2023 1:46 PM

Thanks r348!

by Anonymousreply 349July 23, 2023 1:50 PM

R348 that’s because she couldn’t stop howling with laughter when saying it. Eventually they drugged her enough and she just said it. Her eyes were closed by then.

by Anonymousreply 350July 23, 2023 2:53 PM

They used Gloria Stewart because it was a lot cheaper than Olivia or any other classic Old Hollywood big name. You figure they had to pay Kate Winslet and Leo. second tier was Kathy Bates, Billy Zane, Francis Fisher, Bill Paxton, and Victor Garber. And A lot of actors minor characters had speaking parts which means they had to get paid more than just an extra.

by Anonymousreply 351July 24, 2023 12:51 AM

R351 Garber was great. What about the others- Hyde, Hill, Fox, Braeden, Warner, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 352July 24, 2023 12:56 AM

r351 Garber was definitely a highlight, as was Bernard Hill. And Bates.

Interesting, I think the actors playing the main characters had it tougher, because their stories were harder to buy. The historical figures were easier to play in that sense.

by Anonymousreply 353July 24, 2023 6:11 AM

^^^ interestingly

by Anonymousreply 354July 24, 2023 6:15 AM

I wonder how Captain Smith really died. I mean if he returned to the wheelhouse or jumped or what

by Anonymousreply 355July 24, 2023 5:27 PM

The latest YouTube videos on the disaster said that Smith and Andrews allegedly were seen jumping off the ship’s bridge right before it dipped under.

by Anonymousreply 356July 24, 2023 5:32 PM

I think there are conflicting reports about his actual death

by Anonymousreply 357July 24, 2023 6:03 PM

Smith and Andrews were a Gay couple who wanted to stay together. It was the only b way....

by Anonymousreply 358July 24, 2023 6:31 PM

Captain Smith is still alive! He's gonna be JFK Jr.'s running mate if Trump goes to jail!

by Anonymousreply 359July 24, 2023 6:35 PM

R355 in one account linked below the survivor Speculates that Captain Smith may have clung on to the overturned collapsible for some time after the ship went down as some men referred to "The Chief". The way he described having to be contorted between other men for hours so they didn't fall or slip into the freezing ocean and certain death is hellish.

He also spoke angrily about all the partially empty lifeboats who refused to return to rescue survivors from the ocean despite their screams. I don't know how they could live with themselves for not trying to rescue even some of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360July 24, 2023 9:44 PM

'We out."

by Anonymousreply 361July 24, 2023 9:47 PM

R360 Men like Sir Cosmo Duff Gordon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362July 24, 2023 10:22 PM

I always felt Bruce Ismay got a bad rep. By all accounts that I read, he was helping people board lifeboats on the starboard side. As the last one was lowering, there was no one else around and he got on.

He was also played excellently by Johnathan Hyde.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363July 24, 2023 10:28 PM

If the survivors in the lifeboat had gone back earlier, wouldn't the boats simply have been swamped, thus killing even more people? The water was freezing; people would have done anything to get out of it. Once it was full, they wouldn't have hung back and waited for another boat to come along.

by Anonymousreply 364July 24, 2023 10:56 PM

R364 I agree with you

by Anonymousreply 365July 25, 2023 12:14 AM

He deserted the ship, R363. It doesn't matter that it was the last spot on the last lifeboat, other people died who could've taken that spot. He also made the decision to reduce the number of lifeboats to a fraction of what the original plans called for. He's not worth anyone's sympathy. He bears enormous responsibility for the people he died. He should've gone down with the ship like any honorable person in his position.

by Anonymousreply 366July 25, 2023 12:52 AM

*the people who died.

Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 367July 25, 2023 12:53 AM

[quote] He also made the decision to reduce the number of lifeboats to a fraction of what the original plans called for.

That's actually not true, according to the book "On A Sea of Glass," a very authoritative history of the Titanic. The Titanic carried MORE lifeboats than were called for by the British Board of Trade at the time. Of course, the Board hadn't updated its regulations since 1894.

Another thing to consider is that the lowering and readying of boats was a very slow process. If there had been enough boats for every individual on board, there would not have been time to fill and launch them all, especially with the poor communication and overall indifferent attitude of people on board.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368July 25, 2023 1:35 AM

I think the fact that the ship sank so fast would have been a huge factor even if there were enough lifeboats. As R368 points out loading them and lowering them took more time than they had.

by Anonymousreply 369July 25, 2023 1:46 AM

Ismay was smart. Survival instinct is strong. Fuck women and children first. He had an opportunity to save himself and took it. Don't blame him at all.

by Anonymousreply 370July 25, 2023 5:08 AM

r348 I don't really care for any of her line readings. Or the way she cuts her eyes after "or so I read." Ugh. And why does she sound like she herself is just now realizing she doesn't have a picture of Jack? After 84 years?

by Anonymousreply 371July 25, 2023 5:23 AM

In other words, r370, Ismay was the OG MRA

by Anonymousreply 372July 25, 2023 5:27 AM

[quote]Or the way she cuts her eyes after "or so I read."

That was stone-cold. Immediately after saying "He put a pistol in his mouth", she rolls her eyes! Old Rose was a bit of a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 373July 25, 2023 7:11 AM

R363 not if they targeted a small group of people in the water I guess, although I do understand their fear. People were scattered all over the ocean so it's not like dozens would have been able to swamp any one boat

by Anonymousreply 374July 25, 2023 9:03 AM

People died within minutes of the sinking because the water was so cold. Realistically, by the time they rowed back, most of the survivors of the initial plunge would have already died or were near death.

by Anonymousreply 375July 25, 2023 9:24 AM

Cal tried to kill Rose, so I totally understand why she would sound indifferent about his suicide.

by Anonymousreply 376July 25, 2023 10:24 AM

Oh, that's right, R376. I guess I'd just tried to wipe that bizarre interlude from my memory.

by Anonymousreply 377July 25, 2023 10:26 AM

As discussed upthread, it was one of the worst scenes in the film.

by Anonymousreply 378July 25, 2023 10:34 AM

That's true, R374, I hadn't really thought about how far they were scattered.

by Anonymousreply 379July 25, 2023 3:07 PM

Did the bodies that weren’t recovered eventually sink? There were supposedly hundreds of bodies drifting with the current.

by Anonymousreply 380July 25, 2023 4:24 PM

A number of bodies were recovered following the sinking, because of the life jackets. Most are buried in two cemeteries in Halifax, Nova Scotia. As noted above, most died from exposure, not from drowning.

by Anonymousreply 381July 25, 2023 4:30 PM

[quote]Did the bodies that weren’t recovered eventually sink?

At least one did.

by Anonymousreply 382July 25, 2023 4:56 PM

But what eventually became of the bodies that weren’t picked up?

by Anonymousreply 383July 25, 2023 5:39 PM

Dolphins at them.

by Anonymousreply 384July 25, 2023 5:44 PM

The same thing that would happen to any piece of meat left in a body of water for a long time, R383. They eventually rotted and/or were eaten by sea creatures.

by Anonymousreply 385July 25, 2023 6:10 PM

[quote]But what eventually became of the bodies that weren’t picked up?

They took the Staten Island ferry home, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 386July 25, 2023 6:14 PM

John Jacob Astor's body was one of the bodies that were recovered. The found thousands of dollars in cash on him!

by Anonymousreply 387July 25, 2023 6:18 PM

Has anyone seen SOS Titanic, the 1970s Titanic miniseries?

by Anonymousreply 388July 25, 2023 6:26 PM

The conflicting accounts of John Jacob Astor's body led to the claim he was crushed by a falling funnel. One said he was badly damaged, another said he was just sun-bleached

by Anonymousreply 389July 25, 2023 6:32 PM

I guess Astor forgot to wear sunscreen, R389.

by Anonymousreply 390July 25, 2023 9:28 PM

Eric Braeden, who played JJ Astor, survived the sinking of MV Wilhelm Gustloff as a child.

by Anonymousreply 391July 25, 2023 9:41 PM

Frank Winnold Prentice (17 February 1889 – 19 May 1982) was a British merchant seaman and the Assistant Storekeeper on the ocean liner RMS Titanic during her maiden voyage. He survived the sinking and at the time of his death was the second to last surviving crewmember of the disaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392July 25, 2023 10:39 PM

R388 it had a very good screenplay but was done in by the low rent special effects. And it was so obvious that they used the RMS QUEEN MARY in some of the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 393July 25, 2023 11:23 PM

Regarding Astor's corpse - if I remember correctly, the bodies wearing life-jackets were found standing up in the water frozen solid.

by Anonymousreply 394July 25, 2023 11:57 PM

R394, they was bobbin' like corks in the waters,eyes frozen open and bullgin'

by Anonymousreply 395July 26, 2023 1:16 AM

R391 - The Wilhelm Gustloff - now there's a forgotten sea disaster

by Anonymousreply 396July 26, 2023 3:45 AM

I didn't know they were standing up, I've always just read "floating"

by Anonymousreply 397July 26, 2023 9:14 AM

Not only were they standing up, r397, but they were also practicing their figure eights!

by Anonymousreply 398July 26, 2023 12:50 PM

She looks too old for Leo.

by Anonymousreply 399July 26, 2023 12:53 PM

It simply doesn't look like what really happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400July 26, 2023 12:56 PM

R400 Jack only had a view for the last few minutes after he survived diving into the ocean. I'm guessing he surmised the first drawings based on the tilt of the ship while he was still on it.

I really admire him and the others who survived diving into the sea and climbing on to an overturned lifeboat for hours in the freezing cold. I really can't fathom what that must have been like, especially if you knew that people you loved were most likely dead.

by Anonymousreply 401July 26, 2023 2:07 PM

R400 at least he drew the ship breaking apart. The official report for decades (until the wreck was discovered in 1985) was that it had sunk intact. That's how it was portrayed in all the previous Titanic movies, until the 1996 CBS miniseries with Peter Gallagher and DL fave CZJ.

by Anonymousreply 402July 26, 2023 2:17 PM

Did he have the lifeboat to himself?

by Anonymousreply 403July 26, 2023 2:24 PM

Yeah Jack and quite a few other witnesses insisted it broke apart. I'm not sure why the officials were intentionally on arguing it sank intact, was it an insurance thing? Or did it seem even worse that the ship was capable of breaking in two?

by Anonymousreply 404July 26, 2023 2:26 PM

Re: R112, I maintained when I saw the movie, and I still maintain, that Billy Zane and Leonardo DiCaprio should have switched roles. The wussy stuck-up society boy should have been the wispy blond, and the roguish farm boy should have been the dark-eyed muscle god. Billy, being from Wisconsin, could even have done a Wisconsin accent, which for some reason Leo didn't attempt.

by Anonymousreply 405July 26, 2023 2:32 PM

Leo sounded like a guy from Southern California in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 406July 26, 2023 3:15 PM

I want to see the next Titantic movie. "A Survivors Story" 17-year-old Jack Thayer of Philadelphia society Fucks & sucks his way through the Titantic & lives to tell the tale!!

Thank You OP, I never knew about Jack Thayer writing a book about his ordeal surviving the Titantic sinking. Another book to order for "Phillywhore's Summer Beach reading 2023"

by Anonymousreply 407July 26, 2023 4:14 PM

Jack Thayer > Jack Dawson

I'd rather see a miniseries about actual accounts interwoven together. Realistically. Not some laughable romance.

by Anonymousreply 408July 26, 2023 6:26 PM

Here's a third class passenger account.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409July 26, 2023 6:28 PM

I'd watch that, r408

by Anonymousreply 410July 26, 2023 6:30 PM

Poor Jack Thayer ended his life in the 1940s during a severe depression

by Anonymousreply 411July 26, 2023 6:34 PM

Jack was a handsome older man too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412July 26, 2023 6:42 PM

I’ve been to the area in West Philadelphia where Thayer took his life…

by Anonymousreply 413July 26, 2023 8:58 PM

There isn't that much information on how he spent his life after Titanic apart from the war and starting a family.

by Anonymousreply 414July 27, 2023 9:25 AM

Jack Dawson should have been in second class. That would have made the story much more believable.

by Anonymousreply 415July 27, 2023 9:28 AM

On Paramount Network SOON, 8:00 p.m.

by Anonymousreply 416July 27, 2023 11:31 PM

R414 there’s a book on what happened to the survivors…

by Anonymousreply 417July 27, 2023 11:42 PM

On set, Leo teased Kate about her big feet. He would put his sole up against hers to show they were the same size. Kate joked about this on talk shows so she was a sport about it.

by Anonymousreply 418July 28, 2023 12:04 AM

Is Leo into feet?

by Anonymousreply 419July 29, 2023 3:29 AM

Not sure about them feets but he sure is into a bit of cock luv.

by Anonymousreply 420July 29, 2023 7:06 AM

My favourite thing about Benjamin Guggenheim in this, and I think Night to Remember is they just have him saying he's going to die like a gentleman while his valet hangs around looking sad and resigned as is master sentences him to death like an old testament Pharaoh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421July 29, 2023 7:30 AM

Still with this we're talking????

by Anonymousreply 422July 29, 2023 4:27 PM

If you have two hours to waste, a chronicle of the sinking in real time. Quite interesting that major panic and mayhem didn't start until about an hour and half into the sinking. The movie did capture a lot of the despair.

Also First Officer Murdoch determined the fate of most people aboard the ship since he was in charge of the evacuation. I guess there was no easy solution for determining who would be evacuated since there weren't enough life boats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423July 30, 2023 1:36 AM

Is there an inventory list of what all was lost when the ship sank? Rare antiques, paintings, cars, watches, jewelry, perfume? Did passengers who survived get reimbursed for lost poessions?

I’d like to see more of the remnants of what remains of these artifacts on the ocean floor more so than the actual Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 424July 30, 2023 5:36 AM

r423 that's basically what Eva Hart claimed -- that people were relatively calm until it was clear they'd run out of lifeboats. Then the panic ensued.

by Anonymousreply 425July 30, 2023 5:40 AM

As I recall, R424, survivors and family members of the deceased received compensation from the White Star Line, but it didn't amount to a whole lot.

by Anonymousreply 426July 30, 2023 6:49 AM

r424 I imagine a lot of that stuff is in places on the ship that can't be accessed, or else has been submerged in the sediment.

by Anonymousreply 427August 1, 2023 4:08 AM

r424 You can see some of the property claims against White Star here. So for example Dorothy Gibson lost a black charmeuse worth $40. Its in no way a full list of all the items of everything lost in the sinking just a list of the items claimants in the $16 million in damages case against WS itemised and even some of those have been lost to time (WS ultimately settled the case at just $664,000 in the midst of WW1 and don't seem to have paid out even that much in the end). I don't think there's a full list of all the private insurance settlements out there but I'd recommend going to encyclopedia-titanica.org and searching keywords like art or insurance to see articles from the era about individual losses and payouts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428August 1, 2023 4:55 AM

Were there really Picasso paintings that went down with the ship, as depicted in the film?

by Anonymousreply 429August 1, 2023 9:46 AM

There was a car that went down with the ship, as depicted in the film.

by Anonymousreply 430August 1, 2023 9:50 AM

R429 no, nor any Monets.

by Anonymousreply 431August 1, 2023 9:59 AM

Lightoller was actually from Lancashire, but he was given a posh Southern accent in both A Night to Remember and the 1997 film. I'm guessing Cameron wanted people to recognise him as the hero of the previous film.

by Anonymousreply 432August 1, 2023 11:08 AM

I never understood the ending. Why did he sacrifice himself for that heifer he just met a few days earlier? Jack was an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 433August 1, 2023 11:30 AM

In reality, he would have died of hyperthermia within minutes, r433.

by Anonymousreply 434August 1, 2023 11:36 AM

R434 - More to my point. Rose clearly had, what, 70 lbs on him? She would have lasted longer in the water.

by Anonymousreply 435August 1, 2023 11:41 AM

[quote]More to my point. Rose clearly had, what, 70 lbs on him?

How was Jack able to grab her and keep her from falling overboard early on?

by Anonymousreply 436August 1, 2023 12:14 PM

R436 I think he twisted her nipples which momentarily incapacitated Rose. However it also sent a jolt of desire to her bushy loins which was to send Jack on his path to icy doom!

by Anonymousreply 437August 1, 2023 12:21 PM

Anyone else disappointed with the ending? Did Cameron play around with alternate endings?

For instance, the idea of a crew member reactively pushing Rose overboard when she coyly drops the necklace into the ocean? She gasps and her elderly body slowly descents in the moonlit water and begins to transforms into glamorous, young Rose. Her body lands on the pristine Titanic where everyone is alive and carrying on as they once had prior to the sinking. Rose spots Jack on the bow of the ship. They lock eyes. He smiles, “I’ve been waiting for you, Rose”. They embrace and gently kiss. Leo slowly transform to the frozen corpse she let sink to the ocean floor that dreadful night. He whispers, “Why did you let go, Rose? Why did you let go?” The scene reverts back to the eroding wreckage with no sign of life except for elderly Rose laying dead on the wreckage. Camera pans right to a closeup of necklace laying within arms reach of Rose. Closeup reverts to the viewpoint of the robotic camera lens used by the exploration ship. Bill Paxton’s voice can be heard saying, “I see it! We got it! We’re going in”. Screen turns black. Fin.

Titanic 2: Return to the Heart of the Ocean Coming to a theater near you Summer 1998

by Anonymousreply 438August 1, 2023 12:54 PM

Maybe someone will come along and write a screenplay about the Titanic that isn’t fictional.

by Anonymousreply 439August 1, 2023 6:04 PM

Kind of hilarious that Leo just states the obvious to the audience for so much of the film. The pièce de résistance is when he's handcuffed to a pole in a sinking ship and says "This could be bad."

by Anonymousreply 440August 1, 2023 7:18 PM

The original script had him say "I have a sinking feeling about this" then stare at the camera for 10 seconds. But they decided it was too on the nose.

by Anonymousreply 441August 1, 2023 7:55 PM

Did Cameron write the script or did some nobody do most of it?

by Anonymousreply 442August 1, 2023 9:19 PM

It’s all James r442.

by Anonymousreply 443August 1, 2023 10:28 PM

r438 you are a mess 😆 but I would rather that elderly Rose jumping overboard, taking the necklace with her into the deep, and then every else just like you said until the gentle kiss.

by Anonymousreply 444August 1, 2023 10:37 PM

I didn't really care for the late 1990s, OP.

by Anonymousreply 445August 1, 2023 10:39 PM

[quote] It’s all James [R442].

Well, James and about 12 kilos of coke.

by Anonymousreply 446August 2, 2023 12:01 AM

Cameron can structure a screenplay but he can't write dialog for shit.

by Anonymousreply 447August 2, 2023 3:08 AM

Re script: how did the submersible crew managed to bring the heavy safe from within the Titanic wreck up to the surface?

After the remote controlled robot finds it, the scene immediately cuts to them hauling it out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 448August 2, 2023 8:57 AM

Did Winslet have to pose nude for Cameron to sketch her tits?

by Anonymousreply 449August 2, 2023 10:45 AM

R449 she had to ride his hard thick cock until he made baby juice

by Anonymousreply 450August 2, 2023 10:49 AM

Apparently the "Heart Of The Ocean" was originally going to be a Ruby but when Winslet was cast there were fears it would clash with her pubes

by Anonymousreply 451August 2, 2023 12:54 PM

He needs a writing partner for that dialogue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452August 2, 2023 12:59 PM

r447 The worlds and sets (or CGI greenscreens in Avatars case) he makes are always impressive and the real star of the movie but honestly his main stories to go with them are usually pretty weak and forgettable. Does make me wonder what he could have done with a golden age of Hollywood level budget and cast size he coud make the fall of Atlanta in GwtW look like a pile of crap.

by Anonymousreply 453August 2, 2023 3:29 PM

I watched again last night after about 12 years as it's available on Netflix. The movie still packs a visual wallop but the dialogue gets cheesier by the decade. The characters sound as if they came out of a 1950's movie, and not a very well written one at that.

by Anonymousreply 454August 2, 2023 3:46 PM

When Rose called Cal an ‘unimaginable bastard’ I thought it was hysterical…like a line out of a Danielle Steele novel…

by Anonymousreply 455August 2, 2023 9:27 PM

When I watched it as a kid, I thought Tommy (the Irish bloke who gets shot) and Trudy (Rose's maid) were both so old. I just looked up their ages. Trudy was 27, Tommy was 25. It's like the reverse of Grease, where I really did believe the cast all looked like teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 456August 2, 2023 10:36 PM

Cal is such a two dimensional villian. It's not Zane's fault, the script is ridiculous. No character development. Everyone is a cardboard cutout. Rose is *the heroine*, Jack is the lovable scamp, and Cal is.... wait for it.... the VILLIAN!

by Anonymousreply 457August 2, 2023 10:46 PM

[quote]p, and Cal is.... wait for it.... the VILLIAN!

To the point of absurdity, like the villain who ties the heroine to railroad tracks in a creaky old melodrama. He becomes completely ludicrous when he takes out a gun and starts shooting at Jack and Rose as crowds of passengers are in a blind panic realizing they're probably going to die when the ship goes down.

by Anonymousreply 458August 2, 2023 11:39 PM

Well duh the characters are 1912-style

by Anonymousreply 459August 3, 2023 2:19 AM

Cal's antics make the movie for me. Yeah it may be ludicrous but he just adds another layer of suspense to the drama and action. Billy Zane did a good job considering the limitations of dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 460August 3, 2023 2:21 AM

R459 What does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 461August 3, 2023 2:21 AM

I think Zane did a phenomenal job with what he had to work with. He had to know the part was shit but he managed to make it work somehow. He knew just how far to go without veering into cartoonish parody.

by Anonymousreply 462August 3, 2023 2:24 AM

[quote] Well duh the characters are 1912-style

Except that they're not. She gives Lovejoy the finger!

by Anonymousreply 463August 3, 2023 2:32 AM

Fabrizio was really Puerto Rican, wasn't he

by Anonymousreply 464August 3, 2023 2:38 AM

Alternate ending take 2:

As Rose is dangling the jeweled necklace over the side of the ship with her eyes on the crew, the camera zooms into an icy Zombi version of Cal who is climbing up the side of the ship directly behind Rose. He violently snatches the necklace from her grasp and says, “I believe this belongs to me!” Rose and the crew are wide eyed and speechless and watch Cal fall backwards into the ocean clutching the necklace and laughing maniacally. Rose turns toward the camera and whispers, “I suppose it belonged to Cal all along. Now let’s go home. “

by Anonymousreply 465August 3, 2023 2:54 AM

Billy Zane wore evil eyeliner

by Anonymousreply 466August 3, 2023 3:21 AM

[quote]Alternate ending take 2:

Next . . .

by Anonymousreply 467August 3, 2023 4:17 AM

[quote]Fabrizio was really Puerto Rican, wasn't he

He was played by Danny Nucci, who was originally from Italy.

His family moved to the USA when he was a small child.

He doesn't have that Italian accent in real life.

by Anonymousreply 468August 3, 2023 4:50 AM

Alternate ending 3, per [R467]’s request

Rose reluctantly hands the necklace to Brock Lovett (Bill Paxton) after he pleads for her to refrain from dropping it into the ocean. Elated, he pulls a scope out of his pocket to take a closer look. His excitement quickly turns to disappointment and he looks up at Rose, “It’s cut glass. It’s not real. It’s costume jewelry.” Rose stares blankly back at him, “It’s still a beautiful piece, Mr. Lovett. (Long pause) You remind me so much of Cal, Mr. Lovett. You can’t appreciate the beauty around you because greed blinds you.” She outstretches her hand, “you can hand it back to me now, please.” Rose squeezes the necklace in the palm of her hand, closes her eyes and then looks up at Mr. Lovett and whispers, “Would you give me $100 for it?” Camera pans back to Brock Lovett who has a neutral, but thoughtful look on his face. Screen darkens. Credits roll.

by Anonymousreply 469August 3, 2023 5:20 AM

This is my favorite take on the Titanic.

Near, far, wherever you is, I won't forget yo ass, but I'll show nuff let you go. Sat up there and froze solick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470August 3, 2023 5:33 AM

We can thank Titanic for bringing us the most cringey, treacly popular song since Bette Midler shat out "Wind Beneath My Wings".

by Anonymousreply 471August 3, 2023 12:01 PM

My favorite description of this movie is, "It's one part Gone With the Wind" and one part "Poseidon Adventure" -- but just the worst aspects of both cobbled together.

by Anonymousreply 472August 3, 2023 12:02 PM

R469 I enjoyed that. You're obviously talented.

Cal did make what little he had shine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473August 3, 2023 12:51 PM

I just remember when Titanic came out I was excited to be able to see my gorgeous Billy Zane's face on the big screen again. He gave me several young boners in Dead Calm with Nicole Kidman.

by Anonymousreply 474August 3, 2023 2:01 PM

Blech. I hated it then, and I hate it now.

by Anonymousreply 475August 3, 2023 2:20 PM

It's a bunch of special effects with a cringe, unrealistic "romance" built around them

by Anonymousreply 476August 3, 2023 2:30 PM

I saw it the first time with a mostly black audience. They were so not impressed by the story. They didn’t react to anything, not even the sinking scenes or anything. A couple of weeks later I watched it again this time with an all white audience. People were ooh-ing and awww-ing at the FX and the horrible way that people were dying. A couple of girls were crying, especially when Jack died.

by Anonymousreply 477August 3, 2023 2:41 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478August 3, 2023 3:29 PM

That was weird. My post didn't post but the photo did.

Anyway, it said: "R474 you must have loved him in THE PHANTOM the previous year, opposite DL fave CZJ and OG Buffy Kristy Swanson."

by Anonymousreply 479August 3, 2023 3:31 PM

[quote] We can thank Titanic for bringing us the most cringey, treacly popular song since Bette Midler shat out "Wind Beneath My Wings".

Whatever. But that song was so enormously popular it most definitely contributed to the monster success of the film. It was the right song for the right film at the time. The proof is in the money.

by Anonymousreply 480August 3, 2023 3:44 PM

R479, M tries to discourage people from posting Daily Mail links (even links to photos) by replacing their posts with what you see in the body of R478.

by Anonymousreply 481August 3, 2023 4:51 PM

R481 gotcha. 👍

by Anonymousreply 482August 3, 2023 6:35 PM

I would have upgraded Fabrizio's ticket to join me in my second-class room. He would be my "valet".

by Anonymousreply 483August 3, 2023 11:17 PM

Billy Zane could've slapped my ass

by Anonymousreply 484August 3, 2023 11:47 PM

The ship should have sailed further south in the North Atlantic. Icebergs wouldn't have been an issue if they had.

by Anonymousreply 485August 3, 2023 11:58 PM

They were already on a more southern path. The warm winter of 1911-12 caused an increase of icebergs that traveled further south than usual.

by Anonymousreply 486August 4, 2023 1:07 AM

Speaking of icebergs, nearly 500 posts and no one's posted this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487August 4, 2023 1:35 AM

They should have driven. I've never seen an iceberg in the highway!

by Anonymousreply 488August 4, 2023 8:03 AM

Really, Rose? I thought you were from Minnesota.

by Anonymousreply 489August 4, 2023 11:43 AM

R487 just me, but I thought that skit was so lame.

by Anonymousreply 490August 16, 2023 3:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!