Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future

As the Broadway musical gears up, it's time to reflect on one of the greatest casting decisions in movie history: Replacing Eric Stoltz with Michael J. Fox in Back To The Future. There's been so much written and said, but it seem obvious that BTTF is a really beloved classic with Fox and almost certainly wouldn't have been with Stoltz. There are a few scene with Stoltz that have been put out, none with him doing any dialogue. Tom Wilson who was pretty unforgettable as Biff said that they had almost finished the movie when Stoltz was fired. Co-creator Bob Gale said the reason you'll never see an entire performance is because Stoltz just isn't very good and he doesn't want to further embarrass him as he is still a working actor and director. I also have to believe that his contract would specify him getting paid again for any releases with him speaking dialogue. And Wilson said simply that Stoltz was bad and very unfriendly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 21, 2023 6:52 AM

Well at least I don't shake uncontrollably.

by Anonymousreply 1July 10, 2023 5:53 PM

Fox was much better looking so there's that.

I'm shocked that Stoltz had the audacity to argue so bitterly with the Director

by Anonymousreply 2July 10, 2023 5:56 PM

Fox was extremely likable in this film.

by Anonymousreply 3July 10, 2023 6:02 PM

If you see the comparisons, it's almost ridiculous. Fox's approach is so perfect and the scene where they encounter George at the soda shop shows Stoltz with really no reaction and Fox already creating a character.

Lea Thompson said that even though Stoltz is very funny in real life, he was not funny at all in the movie because he considered it a "tragedy". She said he also did things like show up with long dirty fingernails because that's what guitarists do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 10, 2023 6:04 PM

I’d rather see the footage of Michael J. Fox in Mask, before he was fired and replaced by Erik Stoltz.

by Anonymousreply 5July 10, 2023 6:10 PM

[quote] Fox was much better looking so there's that.

Nope. Hot non-midget ginger for the win.

by Anonymousreply 6July 10, 2023 6:22 PM

I wish they'd had Michael do a bit of full frontal nudity

by Anonymousreply 7July 10, 2023 6:23 PM

Hadn’t Stoltz just starred in SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL with Lea Thompson?

by Anonymousreply 8July 10, 2023 6:26 PM

Fox's shortness was so perfect in comparison to Wilson's beefy size. I also think there's no way Stoltz could have had the same chemistry Fox did with Christopher Lloyd.

by Anonymousreply 9July 10, 2023 6:28 PM

Some Kind of Wonderful was released in Feb. 1987.

Back to the Future came out in July 1985.

by Anonymousreply 10July 10, 2023 6:29 PM

Has anyone read any of Michael J. Fox's autobiographies? Would he have been allowed to comment on being asked to step into the role of Marty McFly?

by Anonymousreply 11July 10, 2023 6:32 PM

[quote]Tom Wilson who was pretty unforgettable as Biff said that they had almost finished the movie when Stoltz was fired.

And the studio had no problem with that? No problem giving the producers enough money to do the movie all over again with Fox?

by Anonymousreply 12July 10, 2023 8:20 PM

American Film Institute catalog entry for Back to the Future says that the production ran Nov 26, 1984 to April 26 1985 in greater Los Angeles area.

Eric Stoltz filmed for five weeks.

[quote]Eric Stoltz was originally cast as “Marty McFly,” as stated in the 7 Jul 1985 Chicago Tribune. After five weeks of filming, however, Stoltz was fired and replaced with Michael J. Fox. In a 17 Jan 1985 DV news item, Stoltz’s manager, Helen Sugland, described Stoltz’s firing as “totally out of left field” and stated that the actor had only received positive feedback from the director on set. Zemeckis explained to Chicago Tribune that Stoltz’s firing had nothing to do with the actor's talent, but stated that his “performance was not in synch with” Zemeckis’s vision. The footage shot during the first five weeks with Stoltz was scrapped, and the film’s release date was delayed from 21 Jun 1985 to 3 Jul 1985. For the remainder of production, Michael J. Fox, who was starring in the television series Family Ties (NBC, 22 Sep 1982--17 Sep 1989) at the time, spent days on the set of Family Ties and nights filming Back to the Future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 10, 2023 8:43 PM

I don't know how I would deal with a situation like this if I was Eric Stoltz....being fired and replaced, and then the movie goes on to be the biggest hit of the year.

by Anonymousreply 14July 10, 2023 8:52 PM

R14 and then understanding it wouldn't have been the biggest hit of the year with him in it.

R12, I think the studio really felt they had a hit on their hands but not with Stoltz so they allowed them to recast. Although the shooting with Stoltz went on for weeks, apparently in the last few, they didn't even do reverse angles with Stoltz because they were aware they were going to replace him and would simply use those shots again with Fox in the reverse angles.

by Anonymousreply 15July 10, 2023 8:54 PM

Stoltz should have listened to the Director instead of going with his own feeling this movie was "a tragedy". How the fuck do you know what it is Arrogant Eric, did you write it?!

by Anonymousreply 16July 10, 2023 9:05 PM

Stoltz is a good actor but he wasn’t the right choice for a comedy popcorn movie, especially since he had no idea that’s what he was acting in.

by Anonymousreply 17July 10, 2023 9:08 PM

[quote] If you see the comparisons, it's almost ridiculous. Fox's approach is so perfect and the scene where they encounter George at the soda shop shows Stoltz with really no reaction and Fox already creating a character.

Was Fox really an actor "creating a character" or does he just naturally bring with him a certain quality that Stoltz didn't.

by Anonymousreply 18July 10, 2023 9:13 PM

It’s weird to think of Back to the Future as a “tragedy.” It is a fun silly comedy. What was the tragedy angle?

by Anonymousreply 19July 10, 2023 9:26 PM

R19 I think because the kid can go back and change the future, plus get to meet his parents as teens

by Anonymousreply 20July 10, 2023 9:37 PM

Stoltz thought he was filming a tragedy? To be released as a summer flick? He sounds like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 21July 10, 2023 9:39 PM

I guess I’m team minority again. I watched this film putting myself in place of the protagonist and did indeed want to slap it into the seriousness that the actual situation warranted. Dammit! Think of the lives that could have been saved!

by Anonymousreply 22July 10, 2023 9:41 PM

[quote]I don't know how I would deal with a situation like this if I was Eric Stoltz

I'm pretty sure continuing to work for decades and branching out into directing were soothing balms for this tragic burn.

No matter how you slice it, MJF got the worse deal in life. Still, both of them are doing just fine.

by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2023 10:04 PM

I wonder who they would have cast if Family Ties had refused to allow Michael J. Fox to film Back to the Future. Producer Gary Goldberg could have said No, could have refused to allow Fox to film Family Ties during the day and Back to the Future at night. Then they would have had to find someone else.

Who else could they have cast as Marty McFly?

by Anonymousreply 24July 10, 2023 10:40 PM

R24, I think Jon Cryer would have been great. Right age, very funny and likable.

by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2023 10:42 PM

Without MJF they would probably would have plodded on with Stolz. The film would have been a wreck, there would be no sequels, and it would eventually be largely forgotten. I think the only reason they changed leads is because they wanted MJF first and they were able to work out a deal with Family Ties after initially being turned down. Stoltz was always the second choice. Without MJF he probably would've remained their only choice.

by Anonymousreply 26July 10, 2023 10:49 PM

It sounds like Fox wasn't told of the offer until they approached a second time after Stoltz wasn't working out. Maybe he put his foot down and said he wanted to do it and the Family Ties producer relented

by Anonymousreply 27July 10, 2023 11:11 PM

Stoltz doesn't speak of it often (duh) but did say something like he moved to Europe after this and started doing theater but he regrets not being in it because it would have made him rich, albeit he would have been in therapy. Regardless of how he branched out, his name will be more linked with his firing from BTTF than anything else.

Speaking of Jon Cryer, here is his test. He's quite good in the car scene but I think the only other actor I could see at the time doing it was ironically Matthew Broderick, who Fox replaced in Family Ties. I think C. Thomas Howell was very strongly considered since his audition is fairly long and he's with Lea Thompson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 10, 2023 11:21 PM

Ben Stiller as Marty McFly! I want to see the alternate version with him and then his dad Jerry Stiller as George McFly

by Anonymousreply 29July 10, 2023 11:37 PM

MJF has natural charisma on screen.

by Anonymousreply 30July 11, 2023 3:28 AM

Back to the Future top 5 favorite films of mine I was utterly shocked when I learned of this watching a Netflix documentary a decade ago. Watching the brief scenes, and stills it was almost like a different film with him in it. Like sort of dramatic, and quasi postmodern not the comedy like the producers intended.

by Anonymousreply 31July 11, 2023 3:42 AM

And MJF was so gracious when he said he couldn't have played a drug dealer in Pulp Fiction.

by Anonymousreply 32July 11, 2023 3:42 AM

R1 You were shooketh when I stole your role bitch. The only blockbuster you appeared in thereafter had you bed rest for 3/4 of the film with a former In Living Color dancer and gangsta rapper playing hero.

by Anonymousreply 33July 11, 2023 3:45 AM

R28 oh please. People barely know this trivia fact. They remember him from the Mask.

by Anonymousreply 34July 11, 2023 3:48 AM

Poor Madonna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 11, 2023 3:51 AM

R9 agreed. MJF character is not a nerd or gawky just short. He goes back in time and horrifically discovers his dad is a geek.

by Anonymousreply 36July 11, 2023 3:52 AM

This is quite an interesting summary of what happened:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 11, 2023 3:55 AM

R12 yeah from that YouTube posting above it looks like it. I never knew THAT many still photos and takes existed. This had to extremely soul crushing for a young actor, especially as the film not only was a hit but also this huge blockbuster. Good god. Good on Stoltz for not losing his mind. If there is any balance Stoltz is more classically handsome.

by Anonymousreply 38July 11, 2023 3:55 AM

R34, Mask is already forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 39July 11, 2023 4:00 AM

Perhaps the original ending was different with an Oedipus angle with Marty accidentally killing his father and fucking his own mom, fathering his own child. 😂 That could explain Stoltz interpretation.

With that being said they still have never explained why his parents don’t remember him and that they knew someone identical in looks when Marty grew up into a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 40July 11, 2023 4:04 AM

Oh Jesus isn't it obvious to see why happened? He was a serious actor who was rewarded for edgy dramatic roles and he misinterpreted the way to play this. He took himself too seriously and thought he was doing something new like Brando.

His director should have told him to ham it up.

by Anonymousreply 41July 11, 2023 4:31 AM

Stoltz was horribly miscast. He's handsome and an excellent actor but he isn't likeable. He's a serious actor and was proud of it.

Whereas with Fox - all he needed to do was turn around and look in the direction of the camera and ZING! Likeability and charisma.

by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2023 4:45 AM

And judging from Stoltz' body of work, he is incapable of lightness and humor, especially physical. He was a baffling choice.

by Anonymousreply 43July 11, 2023 4:57 AM

Exactly R43. He was badly miscast.

by Anonymousreply 44July 11, 2023 5:00 AM

Stoltz would have been good in the Fox role in "Casualties of War."

by Anonymousreply 45July 11, 2023 6:14 AM

[quote] His director should have told him to ham it up.

Brilliant idea! I'm sure Zemeckis never thought of actually giving Stoltz direction. Just went straight to firing his star and reshooting an entire movie that was almost completely in the can already. Too bad you weren't around to advise him!

by Anonymousreply 46July 11, 2023 9:41 AM

R40, I was wondering the same thing... did the film end differently when Stoltz read an early version? What if Marty had not been successful in bringing his parents together at the high school dance? He, and his siblings, would cease to exist. His father would never have punched Biff, become a high school hero, gotten the girl, etc...

by Anonymousreply 47July 11, 2023 10:04 AM

Mr Stoltz used to nibble on my lady lumps!

by Anonymousreply 48July 11, 2023 10:56 AM

The ending was always the same but Stoltz interpreted it as being tragic because there's a whole other history that no one else in the family knows except Marty. Those brief clips suggest he was doing a Twilight Zone episode.

The key line in the film is "Are you trying to tell me that my mother has got the hots for me?". Fox's delivery is so perfect, funny, exasperated and just slightly repulsed. I can't even imagine what Stoltz could have gotten out of that line.

by Anonymousreply 49July 11, 2023 2:27 PM

I will say this for Eric Stoltz: especially with the black hair he sported in BTTF, he looked a lot more like the child of Lea Thompson and Crispin Glover than Michael J. Fox did.

by Anonymousreply 50July 11, 2023 5:09 PM

R46 I think he only shot 5 /14 weeks and even in the last 2 weeks they were only filming Doc as they knew he was going to be replaced, which was really a shitty thing to do to him.

by Anonymousreply 51July 11, 2023 6:20 PM

Is that Christopher Lloyd in OP’s pic?

by Anonymousreply 52July 11, 2023 6:40 PM

Eric Stoltz has a fire crotch.

by Anonymousreply 53July 11, 2023 6:43 PM

R46 I don't think they really informed him because how obtuse would you have to be to play dark despite the director telling you it's meant to be an action comedy.

I'm thinking he's such a good actor, he could have tried comedy as a challenge but they didn't really manipulate him enough to procure the best results.

Actors aren't just one limited range. You can get a different result by having them, you know, act.

I think he was young kid trying to take himself seriously and make a dramatic name for himself, like James Dean. Yes, probably miscast but with good direction possibly could have gotten better results.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 12, 2023 3:33 AM

R54, how obtuse do you have to be to read that script and not know it's a comedy. He already expressed at the first read through that he thought it was a tragedy. In the end, Stoltz' body of work pretty much proves he is not talented at comedy, certainly not the slapstick things that MJF excelled at. Regardless of how he was directed, the movie would have been a whiff with him in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 55July 12, 2023 3:46 AM

Yeah but!

by Anonymousreply 56July 12, 2023 3:49 AM

I don't want Eric Stoltz to off himself because he was a cocky little actor miscast.

If only he had a time machine and could go back in time and reenact his scenes, I'm sure he'd turn on the charm.

by Anonymousreply 57July 12, 2023 3:51 AM

I understand the folk-logic of the story they didn’t shoot Stoltz’s angles for the last two weeks because he was going to be replaced, but there’s no way that could happen for one day, much less ten shooting days, without Stoltz asking what the fuck is going on.

The only footage that would be re-usable in that situation would Lloyds close-up. Even the over the shoulder shots of Lloyd wouldn’t work because of the height and hair differences, plus they completely changed Marty’s costume. I’m calling shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 58July 12, 2023 4:00 AM

And to tie this to another bomb, there's a reference in The Flash where in the alternate universe, Stoltz is in Back To The Future, an ironic idea considering the movie it's in.

by Anonymousreply 59July 12, 2023 4:02 AM

Does Michael J have a nice pinga?

by Anonymousreply 60July 12, 2023 5:48 AM

I think it's just an average sized but nice looking one R60.

by Anonymousreply 61July 12, 2023 6:00 AM

Thanks R61 he had a nice ass and seemed to be a good person. Would he have been a good Ferris bueller?

by Anonymousreply 62July 12, 2023 6:03 AM

No I don't think so R62. Matthew Broderick was perfectly cast in my opinion. Fox was perfectly cast in Back to the Future.

by Anonymousreply 63July 12, 2023 6:08 AM

This thread sent me down a rabbit hole, and I discovered that Bob Gale confirmed Biff in part 2 was based on Donald Trump. I thought it was just a fan theory.

by Anonymousreply 64July 12, 2023 11:59 AM

Now I'd like to see the edgier version with the handsome Eric Stolz. I liked MJF in Family Ties, but he was so cheesy in Back to the Future.

by Anonymousreply 65July 12, 2023 5:50 PM

MJF wasn't very cute in Family Ties

by Anonymousreply 66July 12, 2023 5:53 PM

MJF was fucking adorable in Family Ties.

by Anonymousreply 67July 12, 2023 5:55 PM

[quote] Eric Stoltz has a fire crotch.

Link?

by Anonymousreply 68July 12, 2023 5:57 PM

Proof and damn it's not pretty. Eric likes to go naked on camera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 12, 2023 6:05 PM

R65 That would be hilarious if everyone else was serious.

In a world, where a Delorean time travel, some punk kid fed up with high school and the 80s time travels and fucking takes everything too seriously.

Or maybe he's the normal one and everyone else is a fake caricature. Great Black Mirror vibes

by Anonymousreply 70July 13, 2023 12:20 AM

Fake newdes!

by Anonymousreply 71July 13, 2023 12:22 AM

It's still cracking me up that Stoltz read BTTF as a tragedy. Did he think they hired Huey Lewis & the News to provide the soundtrack out of irony?

by Anonymousreply 72July 13, 2023 3:00 AM

I’m wondering if there were significant script re-writes between Eric’s filming and MJF’s filming?? The footage from Eric Stolz as Marty does look a little grayer and grim compared to the lighter tone of the actual movie. And wasnt the time machine originally supposed to be a fridge and then later was rewritten to be a Delorean?

by Anonymousreply 73July 13, 2023 3:09 AM

I noticed the differences in the look as well - but then remembered the Fox stills are from a finished, color timed film and the Stoltz images are either from dailies or set still that never got properly timed.

by Anonymousreply 74July 13, 2023 3:25 AM

Chris Lloyd is still alive?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 13, 2023 4:59 AM

Stoltz seems to reimagined the script as something sadder and more introspective, along the lines of "Peggy Sue Got Married."

by Anonymousreply 76July 13, 2023 5:41 AM

He completely misinterpreted the script is what you mean R76.

by Anonymousreply 77July 13, 2023 6:04 AM

Stoltz is not the only one to have said over the years that the ending is deeply tragic/fucked up. Marty is the only one in the family who remembers their entire previous life. He made his family wealthy and "better" and now has a great car. It could have easily have been played as extremely dark take on the American Dream.

by Anonymousreply 78July 13, 2023 6:05 AM

MJF was hugely, at the time, popular due to Family Ties. His FT character was a young Republican in the Reagan era.

I can't even remember the plot to BTTF. Yet, I can remember the plot to "Peggy Sue Got Married." I can understand why Stoltz would have tried to inject some "Our Town" / "Peggy Sue" into BTTF.

If I had to rewatch BTTF or "Peggy Sue," I'd probably choose Peggy Sue.

by Anonymousreply 79July 13, 2023 6:26 AM

Stoltz in "Our Town." He was nominated for a Tony in 1989 for playing George.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 13, 2023 6:32 AM

R80, ha! He probably was thinking about Our Town!

Side note, I remember being really moved, the first time I saw Our Town, the scene where she relives an ordinary day with her parents. Yes, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 81July 13, 2023 7:00 AM

“She loves you woah, woah, woah!”

by Anonymousreply 82July 13, 2023 1:46 PM

The way Turner on the phone says “Grandma?” chokes me up just thinking about it. Great films truly are a handful of indelible moments.

by Anonymousreply 83July 13, 2023 1:49 PM

Get back to MY movie, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 84July 13, 2023 2:07 PM

"We just took one look at Michael, and knew he was gonna shake things up."

by Anonymousreply 85July 13, 2023 2:34 PM

Stoltz looked hot with the darker, messy hair.

by Anonymousreply 86July 13, 2023 3:11 PM

Eric Stoltz and his perfectly lovely little penis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 13, 2023 3:51 PM

I agree R86

by Anonymousreply 88July 13, 2023 9:45 PM

Well they fired Crispin Glover too from the second one.

How many of the main actors in films are usually fired?

Crispin said he was questioning the message of the film that having nicer stuff was the moral. He said he thought it should be the love of the family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89July 13, 2023 11:24 PM

They threw these actors away like garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 13, 2023 11:26 PM

[quote]Has anyone read any of Michael J. Fox's autobiographies? Would he have been allowed to comment on being asked to step into the role of Marty McFly?

I've read the three autobiographies; the fourth book is more of a commencement speech. Fox confirms that he was the producers' first choice for "Back to the Future," information "Family Ties" creator Gary David Goldberg initially kept from him (they'd approached Goldberg, not Fox). Goldberg wanted "Ties" to be his sole focus.

Once the role was available again, Fox had to placate Goldberg by agreeing to a punishing schedule that kept him front and center on "Ties."

by Anonymousreply 91July 13, 2023 11:47 PM

Fuck Family Ties

by Anonymousreply 92July 14, 2023 12:07 AM

Thank you R91.

by Anonymousreply 93July 14, 2023 12:19 AM

Yeah they fired two main actors so they sucked dicked at direction and casting and it doesn't hold up if you rewatch it now. It was great in it's time.

Eric Stoltz dystopian version might have held up after a 9/11 world. He was too avant Garde for his time.

by Anonymousreply 94July 14, 2023 12:25 AM

I guess nobody read Ralph Macchio’s recent autobiography because nobody’s mentioned (unless I missed it) that he wrote he was originally offered Marty McFly. And I think turned it down. That would have been pre-Stoltz, I guess. I forget, now. The producers always wanted Fox, though - he was just too busy.

by Anonymousreply 95July 14, 2023 12:41 AM

[quote] and it doesn't hold up if you rewatch it now. It was great in it's time.

It holds up. And oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 96July 14, 2023 12:42 AM

This article clarifies that Ralph Macchio was in discussion to play Marty McFly. But he was never offered the part.

He never even screen tested for the part. He merely had a meeting with producers about the part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 14, 2023 1:00 AM

R96 IT'''''''S

by Anonymousreply 98July 14, 2023 1:21 AM

R97 I stand corrected.

by Anonymousreply 99July 14, 2023 1:34 AM

I’m jealous he has all his hair, but as he gets older and grayer he’ll probably look like Tip O’Neill.

by Anonymousreply 100July 15, 2023 6:03 PM

Or maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 101July 15, 2023 6:03 PM

Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd made that film. Without the chemistry of those two together it wouldn’t have been as iconic.

I still cry every time I watch it and the sequels.

by Anonymousreply 102November 17, 2023 12:06 PM

It was a good story, well thought out. All the characters shined.

by Anonymousreply 103November 17, 2023 12:16 PM

I've heard that when shooting Teen Wolf, MJF would see them filming BTTF in the same area and think "Now that's a film I should be working on."

by Anonymousreply 104November 17, 2023 12:19 PM

R78 It's not that fucked up. Who would want to remember their white trash, emotionally unavailable family? The family is better.

by Anonymousreply 105November 17, 2023 12:19 PM

The producers liked how Fox literally vibrated with energy.

by Anonymousreply 106November 17, 2023 12:27 PM

Peggy Sue Got Married is great--captures the period (Joan Allen looks like my older sister's best friend did back in those days), but is stuck with Nicolas Cage. He lacks subtlety and even "you mean my wang" has the wrong tone (his embarrassment should keep it from being too LOL funny). Even Jim Carrey is tolerable (because it's a small part).

BTTF clearly is more of a comedy, but I could see how it was viewed otherwise. It's really more of a warmedy, as some people call it with some typical movie comedy sequences thrown in. Cryer tends to be annoying and wouldn't have been able to carry the film. Fox has a real likability and more charisma than Mathew Broderick would have brought. Ditto "Family Ties".

by Anonymousreply 107November 17, 2023 12:42 PM

I think not even RDJ could have pulled off what MJF did in this film, let alone Broderick or Macchio (perfect as they both were for other things).

by Anonymousreply 108November 17, 2023 12:51 PM

You can tell from the screenshots alone that Stoltz was giving off a much darker, more brooding tone of performance, which didn’t suit the tone of the film. Fox was perfect in the role. I wonder how the rest of the cast felt, however, having to essential shoot the thing twice? I guess it’s a glass half empty/half full type scenario.

Crispin Glover, from what I’ve gathered, is a very “eccentric” guy and had a case of “main character syndrome” as in he thought he was the central star. However, there’s two sides to every story. He certainly gave a memorable performance and I’d like to have seen him in other things.

by Anonymousreply 109November 17, 2023 12:57 PM

It's comical that Marty's mom falls for Michael J. Fox as hard as she does. It would've been too believable for her to fall for Eric Stoltz.

by Anonymousreply 110November 17, 2023 1:48 PM

Eric went on to have a fine career. Fox followed BTTF as the lead in alot of duds.

by Anonymousreply 111November 17, 2023 2:20 PM

I remember Zemeckis changed directions during the production of Death Becomes Her (a good film and cult favorite but not a blockbuster like Back to the Future or Forrest Gump, I know). Tracey Ullman was not fired, yet her character was simply eliminated from the final form of Death Becomes Her.

I think it must be so stressful making decisions like these, high profile expensive projects.

by Anonymousreply 112November 17, 2023 2:26 PM

He definitely made the right decision R112. I just wish all the deleted scenes could be viewed even if they’re transferred from a second generation VHS tape.

by Anonymousreply 113November 17, 2023 2:57 PM

I recently rewatched the BTF trilogy and it still holds up as a thoroughly entertaining series. I’m so glad Hollywood hasn’t gotten its grubby hands and tried to make a reboot or unwanted decades on sequel.

by Anonymousreply 114November 17, 2023 3:01 PM

Zemeckis and Bob Gale won’t let anyone reboot it or make another sequel as long as they live. I agree with them…but I do like to daydream where a possible third or fourth installment could have gone.

Christopher Lloyd said he wanted to see Doc and Marty in Ancient Rome. However, fantasy is almost always better than reality.

by Anonymousreply 115November 17, 2023 3:06 PM

Christopher Lloyd and MJF had such brilliant chemistry but I do wonder how MJF would have been with John Lithgow (original choice) as Doc. I can see that.

by Anonymousreply 116November 17, 2023 5:21 PM

A possible third installment, R115? You should watch the one they actually made.

by Anonymousreply 117November 18, 2023 5:06 AM

Good point R110. That could easily have been a more icky plot point with Stolz than it ended up being, since Fox is so asexual.

by Anonymousreply 118November 18, 2023 5:27 AM

Some of this was covered in the MJ Fox documentary on Netflix. I felt I was watching his first book Lucky Man come to life.

I went to a Family Ties taping in its last season. The warmup guy was giving away SIGNED CAST t-shirts. He says who wants one and I raised my hand, and he says come down here and sing the theme song if you want the t-shirt.

The show was airing nightly in reruns in syndication but with an abridged theme song. I couldn't remember how it all started! They had another audience member sing with me and when she started ("I Bet We've Been Together...") I recalled the whole song. I said, "Oh, oh are we starting now??"

I did sing "What would we do bay-beeee" similar to how Deniece Williams did...it got a laugh. I still have the t-shirt. The warm up guy said as he handed it to me, 'thanks for doing the Richard Harris version' as I can't carry a tune.

There's a channel on my Samsung TV and it loops FT reruns all day and all night long. My favorites are the two part Ellen episode; the family meets Nick, and A, My Name Is Alex which deals with Alex's reaction to the tragic death of his hottie best friend played by Brian McNamara.

Fox tested against some name actors for Alex but I read that if those other actors got two laughs per line then Fox got three.

by Anonymousreply 119November 18, 2023 5:50 AM

I was never attracted to Michael J Fox but Stoltz was kind of cute

by Anonymousreply 120November 18, 2023 6:01 AM

[quote] Fox was much better looking so there's that.

Not even close. Are you blind?!

by Anonymousreply 121November 18, 2023 6:07 AM

This is a movie I’ve never wanted to see : ( It just sounds so lightweight and corny.

I do like Peggy Sue Got Married.

by Anonymousreply 122November 18, 2023 6:17 AM

R121, so glad you found us Eric. I guess Googling your name can pay off.

by Anonymousreply 123November 18, 2023 6:49 AM

R117 I mistyped. Technically, the second and their films were filmed back to back as one long film and then split into two parts. When Jennifer wakes up on the porch they literally just waited for the sun rise so it literally is filmed a few minutes after they put her there.

In my mind it’s one single movie.

by Anonymousreply 124November 18, 2023 11:37 AM

I like BTTF, but I wish the whole “white people invented rock n roll” part were altered. Like, have Marty play a different song, and not have Chuck Berry’s cousin as a character.

by Anonymousreply 125November 18, 2023 1:19 PM

@r124, "In my mind it’s one single movie."

Must be interesting in there... Is WWI and WWII one continuous war to you as well? 🤔

by Anonymousreply 126November 18, 2023 1:36 PM

This is probably why he was so serious. Wasn't he shooting Mask at the same time?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 18, 2023 1:39 PM

Eric Stoltz is pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128November 18, 2023 1:44 PM

The only thing I remember him in is his supporting role in THE HOUSE OF MIRTH. (I never saw MASK because, though it’s sacrilege, I’m not a big Cher fan.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 18, 2023 6:54 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130November 18, 2023 6:55 PM

I want to tear that Jetsons t-shirt off of Billy Zane's torso in R28's link.

by Anonymousreply 131November 18, 2023 7:12 PM

Anyone who never saw Some Kind of Wonderful or Eric Stoltz in it doesn't deserve to post in this thread (I'm looking at you, R129).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132November 18, 2023 7:23 PM

I was one of the few people who liked The Fly II.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133November 18, 2023 7:24 PM

R130 that is some horrible ass line delivery. Look at how people talked in the 1920s when pictures were just getting started. Faster, high energy and not so out of touch.

That movie should be burned. It's obvious they know nothing of the time period and it's a shit interpretation of what it was like. They aren't even connecting to what they're saying. Garbage.

by Anonymousreply 134November 20, 2023 3:47 AM

I think people probably just spoke at a normal speed in the 1920s

by Anonymousreply 135November 20, 2023 3:53 AM

R121 I always found Fox attractive. Not Stoltz at all. Plus Fox has a dynamic personality, Stoltz is sort of wimpy.

by Anonymousreply 136November 20, 2023 5:04 AM

Fox was cute in a bland, Canadian sort of way, but Stoltz was gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 20, 2023 9:32 AM

Eric had funnier hair in the role than Michael.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138November 20, 2023 9:37 AM

Did Eric do anything bigger than this after?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139November 20, 2023 12:59 PM

Fox had pitch perfect comic timing from years of Family Ties and Stoltz wanted to be…Sean Penn.

by Anonymousreply 140November 20, 2023 1:06 PM

Michael J Fox had zero sex appeal so he was perfect for a comedic role involving his own mom wanting to fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 141November 20, 2023 1:09 PM

Well since Eric was actually involved Lea yeah.

by Anonymousreply 142November 20, 2023 3:24 PM

R4 I disagree. Stoltz was definitely creating a character; it just would have been a different film. Stoltz’s Marty would have been perfect if this were a tv series. You know like a teen drama with some comedic relief from the wacky scientist guy. But Fox is near perfect for this to function as a blockbuster comedy.

by Anonymousreply 143November 20, 2023 3:28 PM

this was hilarious; Family Guy nailed Mask.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 20, 2023 3:53 PM

I may have posted this before but I read that when Family Ties was casting Alex the casting folks wanted Fox; the writers wanted someone else and the producers a third

in the end, everyone agreed that other contenders got two laughs per line and Fox got three.

by Anonymousreply 145November 20, 2023 4:05 PM

R145 That sounds made up.

by Anonymousreply 146November 20, 2023 4:16 PM

R122, your loss. Definitely your loss.

by Anonymousreply 147November 20, 2023 4:28 PM

Stoltz has a more classically handsome face, to be sure.

But if I was given a choice of which guy to have sex with, it'd be MJF all the way. The entire package is better.

by Anonymousreply 148November 20, 2023 4:31 PM

Matthew Broderick had Family Ties but his dad got sick and he pulled out. MJF said that if it weren't for Family Ties, he would have left the business because his career had stalled.

by Anonymousreply 149November 20, 2023 4:47 PM

R146, I'll try to go find the article and post it here.

Fox was brilliant in that role; he won three Emmys.

I bet it's true.

Whereas other actors might have just said "No, Nick, I don't think you ain't got nothing to teach me" when Nick appeared to Alex in a fantasy and said he could teach him something, Fox broke it up:"No, Nick. I don't think. You ain't. Got nothing to teach me" emphasizing the intelligence disparity between the two characters.

The show went with an unknown over other 'name' actors.

by Anonymousreply 150November 20, 2023 6:56 PM

One thing Michael J Fox 🦊 and Eric Stolz have in common-

They’re BOTH FAGS

by Anonymousreply 151November 20, 2023 7:37 PM

R151 That’s getting a bit old.

by Anonymousreply 152November 20, 2023 7:55 PM

Eric played one…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153November 20, 2023 11:52 PM

R153- I think I'd rather kiss Ralph Macchio in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 154November 21, 2023 12:16 AM

R153 He probably didn't have very far to stretch.

by Anonymousreply 155November 21, 2023 12:33 AM

I saw Eric Stoltz in a play in the Berkshires.. I also saw Rob Lowe (in a different play). Eric Stoltz was no Rob Lowe.

by Anonymousreply 156November 21, 2023 12:35 AM

R155, I BEG your pardon.

by Anonymousreply 157November 21, 2023 12:48 AM

I'm also glad they got rid of that jacket Stoltz was wearing when they recast the role.

by Anonymousreply 158November 21, 2023 12:54 AM

PS Eric Stoltz being fired from this movie was apparently not a secret back in the day because I remember it at the time.

by Anonymousreply 159November 21, 2023 12:55 AM

R145 And Craft Services wanted Fred Berry.

by Anonymousreply 160November 21, 2023 12:55 AM

R134, are you for fucking real?

People did not talk in real life as they did in early films. Newsflash for you: they didn't flicker and they weren't in black-and-white either.

by Anonymousreply 161November 21, 2023 12:58 AM

Nobody talked in movies in the early '20s, they were silent movies.

by Anonymousreply 162November 21, 2023 1:01 AM

There was always drama with Eric’s films back then. Some Kind of Wonderful had a rocky start as well. Martha Coolidge was originally hired to direct the film, with Kyle MacLachlan and Kim Delaney cast as Hardy and Amanda. Coolidge had a darker vision for the film, which led to creative differences with John Hughes and caused Hughes to fire her and replace her with Howard Deutch, who had also helmed Pretty in Pink. MacLachlan and Delaney were fired along with Coolidge, and Craig Sheffer and Lea Thompson were hired in their place. John Hughes had originally wanted Molly Ringwald for the role of Watts, but she declined, causing a rift in their relationship. Mary Stuart Masterson would eventually land the Watts role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163November 21, 2023 1:36 AM

Kyle was miles prettier than Eric.

by Anonymousreply 164November 21, 2023 1:37 AM

Lea had been devastated by the colossal bomb that was HOWARD THE DUCK and took the role of Amanda Jones after initially declining it. She dated Deutch during filming and the two later married.

by Anonymousreply 165November 21, 2023 1:45 AM

R162 Just because they were silent doesn’t mean they didn’t talk in some scenes you fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 166November 21, 2023 2:20 AM

R161 They didn't have MOXIE!! Fuck modern actors and their dumb impressions of what 1890s sound like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167November 21, 2023 2:51 AM

Are you people on drugs?

by Anonymousreply 168November 21, 2023 4:39 AM

I literally am right now, yes.

by Anonymousreply 169November 21, 2023 6:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!