Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tatum O'Neal had NO business winning the Academy Award over Madeline Kahn

There, I said it! Why does Hollywood praise this drunk looser over that insipid film she made with her daddy, who eventually shilled for her to win an Oscar at 9 years old? Poor Madeline went to her grave having been robbed but a nepo baby who's essentially wasted her life and the opportunities handed to her. Madeline Kahn WORKED her way up, and was deserving of that win.

by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2023 10:56 AM

This could have been a dull post in the Tatum thread. But no! Somebody NEEDS attention yet generates no original ideas.

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2023 1:29 PM

And yet, cunt R1, HERE you are, contributing to it. I pay for this site, bitch. I've been here 21 years before your sow ass waddled-in to fuck it all up.

So if you don't like it, suck my dick and make me a sandwich, or get the fuck out of the thread. Thanks, doll.

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2023 1:34 PM

Classic category fraud--if Tatum had gone lead as she should have, MK would've walked away with the gold.

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2023 1:38 PM

[quote] Why does Hollywood praise this drunk looser

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2023 1:41 PM

perhaps tatum's miserable life was the wrath of kahn.

by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2023 1:42 PM

It’s an “insipid film” yet you think Madeline should have won for it over Tatum? Okay, that makes a lot of sense.

[QUOTE] looser

Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2023 1:59 PM

I never understood Tatum's win over Kahn. One of those wins that shows everyone in Hollywood is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2023 2:02 PM

Totally agree.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2023 2:03 PM

Mrs. Patsy Ramsey, could you inspire us by telling us all how you, yourself might handle an overly-vocal and precocious child such as Ms. O'Neal?

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2023 2:09 PM

OP replying to himself, failing to refloat this lead balloon of a thread.

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2023 2:16 PM

R9, let’s just say she’d end up on the cutting room floor.

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2023 2:29 PM

OP you have no business living and breathing and yet here we are.....

by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2023 2:30 PM

Monologue.

The clip makes me want to see this film on the big screen, which I never have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 6, 2023 2:31 PM

R6, it’s not good form to oh dear a mistake that’s already been oh deared. It’s simply not done.

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2023 3:44 PM

It's a terrific monologue, R13.

I think I recall reading that Madeline laughed a little at the end of it because she was truly embarrassed to say the word "tits."

by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2023 3:45 PM

Maybe mk wanted to win for another role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 6, 2023 4:11 PM

I loved Madeline Kahn. I thought Tatum was priceless. Superb. So this is a hard one but yes, Madeline deserved BSA. Having said that, I don't think Gwyneth Paltrow or Jaime Leigh Curtis deserved their oscars either.

by Anonymousreply 17July 6, 2023 4:31 PM

Tatum’s Oscar is not a “nepo baby” win. It was won on pure merit.

by Anonymousreply 18July 6, 2023 5:45 PM

No everybody thought it would be cute giving a small child an Oscar. Bogdanovich said she had to be spoon fed her lines.

by Anonymousreply 19July 10, 2023 9:51 AM

NOW a warning?!?!?!

by Anonymousreply 20July 10, 2023 8:29 PM

Madeline Kahn was a national treasure. She deserved every award. But damn, Tatum was outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 21July 10, 2023 10:07 PM

Deciding the Oscar was as difficult as Sophie's Choice.

by Anonymousreply 22July 10, 2023 10:08 PM

[quote]I never understood Tatum's win over Kahn.

Just as I will never understand Cher's win over ME!

by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2023 10:09 PM

[quote] There, I said it!

OMG, Mary! Do you [italic]dare!?[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 24July 10, 2023 10:20 PM

OP Olds.

by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2023 10:25 PM

Has a child ever been nominated and then lost? Doesn't sound like something that would go over well...

by Anonymousreply 26July 10, 2023 10:26 PM

OP= Farrah Fawcett-Majors-No Oscar Winner

by Anonymousreply 27July 10, 2023 10:26 PM

I didn't realize she won form best supporting actress. Agree that it should have been best lead actress. She and Ryan were the two main characters.

by Anonymousreply 28July 10, 2023 10:27 PM

[quote]Has a child ever been nominated and then lost?

Of course, r26.

by Anonymousreply 29July 10, 2023 10:27 PM

Ryan punched Tatum In the face when she gloated that she was nominated and he was not . She said she blocked out the memory but her friend , the daughter of Stanley Kubrick ( who is now an avid Scientologist). Witnessed it . Nice daddy

by Anonymousreply 30July 10, 2023 10:30 PM

[quote] Has a child ever been nominated and then lost?

Among others:

Justin Henry for "Kramer vs. Kramer"

Quinn Cummings for "The Goodbye Girl"

Abigail Breslin for "Little Miss Sunshine"

Qu'venzhane Wallis for "Beasts of Southern Migration"

by Anonymousreply 31July 10, 2023 10:31 PM

But Mad died of Kahncer and Tatum still is with us, so isn't that important?

More years to enjoy the win!

Why waste it on sick or old people who won't have the pleasure as long?

by Anonymousreply 32July 10, 2023 10:35 PM

You’re so brave OP. What have you to say about mood Rings or swine flu?

by Anonymousreply 33July 10, 2023 11:02 PM

I think Linda Blair should have gotten it for The Exorcist. And no way was Tatum a supporting actress.

by Anonymousreply 34July 11, 2023 12:06 AM

R34 agreed. Her acting in The Exorcist wasn’t great before the demon possessed her. But even with the voice of McCambridge, what she was asked to do by Friedkin, and actually pull it off was mind boggling. You can’t take your eyes off her in all the scenes where’s she’s possessed. If she struck any false notes, the film wouldn’t be what it is. I’m guessing Kahn came in third or fourth. She was great in the film, but Tatum dominated the film and there was the cute kid factor voters couldn’t resist. Obviously it was category fraud, but Kahn wouldn’t pulled it off anyway even without Tatum as her co nominee. At least Madeline won a Tony and Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 35July 11, 2023 12:28 AM

During that period, they had a hard time nominating children in lead. Which is funny because all the way back in 1931, they nominated Jackie Cooper for Best Actor for “Skippy” with no problems.

And then, in more recent times the aforementioned Qu'venzhane Wallis for "Beasts of Southern Wild” and Keisha Castle-Hughes for “Whale Rider a decade before Q we’re both nominated in the lead actress category. I don’t think it’s as much of a hang-up anymore.

Tatum could easily have been nominated (and won) for “Paper Moon” in 2023.

by Anonymousreply 36July 11, 2023 12:40 AM

*were

by Anonymousreply 37July 11, 2023 12:41 AM

With Cooper there obviously was a precedent. Plus they gave a slew of of juvenile awards to kids in the 30s and 40s. I don’t think they’ll ever give a lead award to a child to be honest. It has yet to happen at the Emmys and Tonys also.

by Anonymousreply 38July 11, 2023 1:27 AM

Tatum haters go home! I love Tatum. Little Darlings! Bad News Bears! That movie about Lawrencia Bembeneck or whatever it was. Tatum is beautiful and has the voice, too. Love Tatum.

And Peter Bogdanovich - WTF did he expect from Tatum at that age? That she would have half the script committed to memory before her afternoon snack? Fuck him. Infamous pompous cravat-wearing douche.

Kay that's all for now.

by Anonymousreply 39July 11, 2023 1:59 AM

S/b ‘kay that’s all for now.

by Anonymousreply 40July 11, 2023 2:08 AM

Tatum is a total wreck. It's a wonder she's still alive. But I guess for a child even being nominated for an Oscar is worth having your vicious jealous dad punch you in the face.

by Anonymousreply 41July 11, 2023 9:34 AM

R41 n

by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2023 10:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!