Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sean Penn never deserved any of his Oscar wins.

His performances are always hammy, campy and so transparently over-the-top. He peaked with dead man walking and it was all downhill from there. You know you're in trouble when a 7 year old Dakota Fanning can give a more grounded, human-like, non-caricature performance than you. He needs to return Bill Murray's and Mickey Rourke's Oscars like Yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2023 7:35 PM

So Natural and Subdued. The smallest gestures signal a wave of comedy. A masterclass in subtlety. Sean could never.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2023 6:54 PM

His Mystic River performance is the most over the top and wretched excuse for acting that I have ever seen. It is revolting.

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2023 6:59 PM

I agree the Mystic River performance should not have won, but he was perfectly cast as Harvey Milk, and his superb performance made the film worth seeing. An over-the-top actor can carry off playing a historical personage who was himself over-the-top in public life, and Penn added lots of delicate shadings by showing how warm and sweet and funny and gentle Milk was in his private life.

by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2023 7:02 PM

R3- I am okay with that win- and I am not a fan of this guy's at all.

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2023 7:04 PM

I’d argue he deserved his Oscar for Mystic River, but the Oscar he (Oscars—he and Dustin Lance Black) won for Milk…completely undeserved.

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2023 7:05 PM

I wouldn't say his acting in Mystic River was revolting, but it was the first time I realized how he chews up the scenery. You're so aware of him acting.

In contrast, his brother, Christopher Penn, blended into the scenery. He was so natural, you just thought he was being himself all the time. Chris gained a lot of weight and had struggles. The author of this article reminds us that Chris was beautiful, better-looking than Sean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2023 7:09 PM

The trouble with almost all Method actors is they eventually become hambones. Look at Brando, Pacino, De Niro, Walken... they just get lazy after a while, and realize the audience will react to them whenever they're over the top.

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2023 7:12 PM

R6, you are so right. Chris Penn was an excellent actor and way better looking than his brother. What a sad loss.

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2023 7:14 PM

OP = Billy Murray.

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2023 7:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!