Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Polly Holliday turns 86

Polly Holliday, who inspired many drag queens in the 70s and 80s with her sense of sexy style as 'Florence Jean Castlebury' on the television series 'Alice' and the spin-off 'Flo' turns 86 today. No word on whether Linda Lavin sent flowers to her old nemesis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 30, 2023 9:37 AM

Kiss my grits, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2023 3:34 AM

And she’s in one of the best Golden Girls episodes, as well as Gremlins!

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2023 8:45 AM

Happy Birthday, Polly!

by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2023 10:04 AM

She rode her typecast role all the way to a comfy retirement. Good for Polly. And Happy Birthday!

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2023 10:18 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2023 11:28 AM

Her spin-off 'Flo' could've lasted a number of seasons if it was built around a better concept. Her concept hyst wasn't too convincing.

However, she may have started the 'barroom' sitcom which became popular in the 80s. A season later, 'Archie Bunker's Place' premiered, and two years later we got the very successful 'Cheers'. Too bad 'Flo' didn't have the clever, witty writers that made 'Cheers' such a hit.

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2023 2:18 PM

She was so sweet to my late gay son Tawmey.

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2023 2:36 PM

What is a "concept hyst"?

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2023 2:50 PM

My son Tawmey always loved to rub my tired smelly waitress feet at the end of a long shift...

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2023 2:50 PM

Polly also played Jill's mom in "Home Improvement."

by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2023 2:52 PM

Flo actually did fine in the ratings, but they cancelled it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2023 3:06 PM

In honor of her birthday, this queen posted a photo of himself as Flo for Halloween back in the day...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 3, 2023 3:06 PM

Instead of "Trick or Treat," he'd shout "Kiss My Grits!" to get Halloween candy.

by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2023 3:08 PM

Rowdy redhead headed for the bigtime

by Anonymousreply 14July 3, 2023 3:08 PM

When Donkeys FLY!

by Anonymousreply 15July 3, 2023 3:15 PM

Sorry to be out of the loop, my dear DL-ers, but has Holiday made any kind of public appearance or done any kind of performing work at all on stage or screen in the past decade? Her last film credit on IBDB is 2010 and last tv credit 2004. Whereas Lavin and Weston keep chugging along, and even Diane Ladd will do a photo op. Tayback, Howland, McKeon are all dead.

There's not so much as a photo online from the past 5 years that I can find. You'd think she'd do a benefit for her Polly Holliday scholarship or a clips-and-chat retro evening or walk a red carpet or something. Where does she live?

She was also the inspiration for one of the most creative DL threads ever, and that's saying something. Some of these still make me howl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2023 3:18 PM

I believe she has dementia/Alzheimer's, r16. I saw her in Marco Polo Sings a Solo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2023 3:37 PM

Big Mama

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2023 4:37 PM

Oh it's a Polly Holliday with Mary!

No wonder that it's Mary that we love!

by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2023 4:42 PM

hiss my tits!

by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2023 5:02 PM

Is she dead to us? I just watched the episode of Golden Girls where she plays Rose's sister, and as usual, I wondered why Rose's sister has a mild Southern accent. I looked her up on Wikipedia, and it says that she died today, 8.27.23.

I can't find anything on the news sites. Is she telling Saint Peter to kiss her grits, or does she still crawl across the skin of this world?

by Anonymousreply 21August 28, 2023 1:05 AM

Absolutely loved her in All the President's Men, as the snarky secretary who makes Carl Bernstein wait all day in a municipal office lobby to talk to an informant (played by the always-great Ned Beatty). Her white skirt, crazy-patterned blouse and southern accent are all magnificent. You can just feel the awful, southern anti-semitism oozing out of her as she mis-pronounces Bernstein's surname. Perfectly played. She made it look easy.

Why is this thread grayed out, BTW?

by Anonymousreply 22August 28, 2023 1:11 AM

R22 I was thinking the same thing. OP has the red 'troll' signature. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 23August 28, 2023 1:19 AM

Polly and Dustin Hoffman were apparently friends. He wanted her for Doris Belack's role in Tootsie.

by Anonymousreply 24August 28, 2023 1:36 AM

R24 Doris Belack made my life a living hell for a short while

by Anonymousreply 25August 28, 2023 1:39 AM

Okay, you *can't* give the set up, but not the conclusion. Do tell!

by Anonymousreply 26August 28, 2023 1:42 AM

Someone needs to find out if she's really dead. I nominate R21

by Anonymousreply 27August 28, 2023 2:10 AM

I have returned her to life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 28, 2023 2:55 AM

R28 Glad you felt the spirit

by Anonymousreply 29August 28, 2023 8:25 AM

I just deleted her death date again from her Wikipedia because somebody had changed it to say she died today.

by Anonymousreply 30August 29, 2023 11:36 PM

A friend of mine's mom belonged to a church. Polly Holiday was also a member. They were planning some kind of fundraiser, and it was suggested one of the ladies approach Holiday to use her celebrity to help.

My friends mom nervously approached her after services. "Excuse me, are you Flo?" Polly was FURIOUS. "Ah am NOT Flo!" And she turned on her heel and stalked off. So much for that idea!

by Anonymousreply 31August 30, 2023 9:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!