Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Growing Up Brady (the TV movie)

Any thoughts about it from you guys? I watch it every once and while again on YouTube because it’s hilariously bad, from conception to execution. Why did we need a whole movie all about about Barry’s obsessive desire to fuck the shit out of Maureen for five years? I’m glad we have it but still.

And I’m still pissed on their behalf’s that they got fucked out of all those royalty checks as kids. They’d be swimming in it now and wouldn’t need to embarrass themselves in all the spin offs. Especially the actress extraordinaire Ms. Eve Plumb.

by Anonymousreply 160August 25, 2023 6:21 AM

Is this the one with dog faced Kaley Cuoco as Marcia? Maureen McCormick may not have been a perfect ten, but she was very pretty and exemplified a certain kind of 70s all American beauty. Cuoco must have been putting out in exchange for getting work, she’s dreadful looking and can’t act her way out of a wet paper bag - even now.

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2023 1:07 AM

R1, every time I see it I’m shocked that they got someone so averagely attractive to play the supposedly drop dead gorgeous Maureen. The lower half of Kaley’s face hadn’t grown in yet and she does look very homely at this time. She’s much better looking now, but was never Maureen’s equal in looks.

I’m forever going to see her as “dog face” from now on when I watch this mess.

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2023 1:09 AM

Cuoco as Marcia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2023 1:17 AM

And yet Barry Williams clearly had some say with casting, as gorgeous Adam Brody played Greg. Meanwhile Cuoco isn’t even attractive enough for Jan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2023 1:19 AM

R3, the ultimate butter face…

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2023 1:19 AM

R4, Jesus Christ how did she make it into the room to even audition for the role?!

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2023 1:25 AM

During the scene when they all introduce themselves in the dark room (why?) the actress who plays Jan does this annoying thing where she does this little mouth gesture and half assed wave to try and act cute but it just looks stupid.

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2023 2:32 AM

Adam Brody seemed mortified by it when asked a few years ago and also seemed to imply that Barry Williams was full of shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2023 2:33 AM

This thread is starting to piss me off.

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2023 2:42 AM

R8 My god he’s even better looking now.

by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2023 2:49 AM

R9, go back to the pound, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2023 2:55 AM

I love that Marcia later bearded for Henry Cavill when they dated for five days and were already buying groceries together! Awwwww!

by Anonymousreply 12July 3, 2023 2:58 AM

Kaley Cuoco has a face for radio, that’s for sure. Barry must have been pissed at poor Mo McCormick to do that to her.

by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2023 6:08 AM

Do they show Marsha sucking off gaffers and sound guys for eight balls?

by Anonymousreply 14July 3, 2023 6:10 AM

Maureen once told the story of offering Susan Dey a little toot of powder at a party, assuming she’d be game - but that Dey was appalled, telling her to “get some help” and immediately storming off. Susan Dey has had a stick up her ass for 50 years. Maureen sounds like she was a good time in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 15July 3, 2023 9:48 AM

R12 I remember that. It was when the Superman movie came out ten years ago. So random. And so short-lived.

R4 God, I had such a huge crush on Adam Brody in the 2000s. I still think it was unbelievable that he played a friendless dork on THE O.C. People who look like him and possess his charm always have a line of people wanting to be their friend or more.

by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2023 10:08 AM

Based on the pic at r4 Cuoco would have been better cast as one of the unfortunate-looking girls at Marcia Brady's slumber party

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2023 12:21 PM

Does anyone remember that article where the Brady movie kids said that Florence Henderson was an absolute cunt to Shelley Long?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2023 4:17 PM

R18 Ironic, considering Long is known for being one of the cuntiest cunts who ever cunted. Maybe Flo had heard this.

by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2023 8:49 PM

R19 Henriette Mantel, who played Alice in the movies, often talks about how Shelley Long thought Henriette was her maid in real life, bossing her around and asking her to fetch coffee. Eventually, producers had to pull Long aside and let her know that Henriette was, in fact, her colleague, and not her employee. Henriette still jokes that if the acting roles dry up, she always has a job waiting for her at Shelley Long’s house - scrubbing the toilets.

by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2023 8:58 PM

R18 Wow..

Hack: During the second movie, Shelley would do these warm-up vocal exercises before every take that sounded like this: ca-caw, ca-caw, ca-caw! Before every take, even if she didn’t have a line. One day, she did them and somebody off-camera, a crew guy, did it back. She lost her shit.

Sutera: Some singers do honey and tea. Shelley makes bird sounds.

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2023 9:03 PM

That was a great read, r18! Thanks so much for sharing

by Anonymousreply 22July 3, 2023 11:31 PM

There's only room for ONE Carol Brady on this set, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 23July 3, 2023 11:52 PM

Christine Taylor looked so much like Maureen. It was uncanny. She got Maureen's weird accent (California?) down.

by Anonymousreply 24July 4, 2023 12:01 AM

Adam Brody and Christopher Daniel Barnes were both way hotter than Barry.

by Anonymousreply 25July 4, 2023 12:02 AM

R24 Incredible casting (even if I think Christine Taylor is actually a little more attractive than Maureen McCormick). The Brady movies, alongside The Addams Family movies, have no right being as enjoyable as they are.

by Anonymousreply 26July 4, 2023 12:05 AM

Kaley Cuoco isn't ugly per se. But she's just that hot blonde girl with a nice set of tits and ass. Her whole career is playing bimbos (8 Simple Rules and Big Bang Theory). She's more of a Britney and Xtina slutty type.

Maureen and Christine embody some of that sweet and athletic innocent California girl next door. Despite Maureen being a promiscuous coke head behind the scenes

by Anonymousreply 27July 4, 2023 12:14 AM

I also love they cast a 12 year old to play Cindy in the movies. It looked so ridiculous when Susan was in puberty and still made to look and act like she was an 8 year old. The movies made it hilarious by having Cindy seem developmentally slow.

by Anonymousreply 28July 4, 2023 12:19 AM

R27 She may have nice T&A but she has a face like a slapped backside. Nothing like the Maureen (or Christine).

by Anonymousreply 29July 4, 2023 12:22 AM

Lick it

by Anonymousreply 30July 4, 2023 12:24 AM

R29 I agree. That's enough for straight men. Blonde with a nice body doesn't matter if face is busted.

by Anonymousreply 31July 4, 2023 12:25 AM

Right r31. For straights, the body carries the face. For gays, the face carries the body.

by Anonymousreply 32July 4, 2023 12:26 AM

Out of the OG cast. I thought Chris Knight and Maureen McCormick were the best looking. Eve got really pretty towards the end. I never thought Barry was cute. Of course Robert Reed may have bitchy and miserable but he was a DILF before the tragic perm.

by Anonymousreply 33July 4, 2023 12:33 AM

Growing up with my swollen clit

by Anonymousreply 34July 4, 2023 12:34 AM

R33 Maureen was gorgeous during the last few seasons in particular, when she had matured a bit and had the really long hair. She had a Peggy Lipton vibe and looked like she could have made the leap to actual starlet, had the drugs not derailed her. However, I was surprised to see that she wasn’t all that beautiful a few years later on the infamous variety show. She had shorter hair and looked pretty ordinary. Fake Jan (Geri Reischl) was better looking. I guess the substance abuse issues meant her beauty was relatively short lived.

by Anonymousreply 35July 4, 2023 12:42 AM

This girl (Autumn Reeser?) also made a terrible Marcia. It didn’t help that she was so obviously a brunette in a bad wig. That said, Christine Taylor is a tough act to follow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 4, 2023 12:54 AM

And why is Alice emaciated?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 4, 2023 12:56 AM

Why is a middle age yenta playing Jan, r36?

by Anonymousreply 38July 4, 2023 1:04 AM

I would let the Greg Brady at r37 inside me QUITE deeply!

by Anonymousreply 39July 4, 2023 1:06 AM

R39 That’s gorgeous, gay Chad Doreck, who is still *quite* a dish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 4, 2023 1:09 AM

I have worked with Christine before. She's very real, friendly and sweet. I didn't get the "actress" vibe from her, just a normal person. She’s always happy to talk Brady and do Marcia lines.

Ben was also there once. He was very quiet. I heard not nice things about him, so I did nothing but shook his hand and introduced myself. He seemed OK with that.

by Anonymousreply 41July 4, 2023 1:48 AM

R41 She seemed lovely on Kelly and Mark last month. She said she’s a lifelong Brady stan and has made it in her mission in life to befriend Maureen (despite mostly getting the cold shoulder from her for the last 25 years).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 4, 2023 1:55 AM

Thanks, r40. Anywhere to see Doreck's dork?

by Anonymousreply 43July 4, 2023 2:07 AM

R35 Maureen always reminded me of young Cybill Shepherd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 4, 2023 2:35 AM

I watched both Brady Bunch movies again the other day. Both are funny but the first one is scathingly brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 45July 4, 2023 3:05 AM

R45 Of all the television shows to be updated for the big screen The Brady Bunch Movie is one of the best with its brilliant idea of placing the corny Brady family, who seem to be still living in the 60s, into a modern setting and thus giving us a fun counterpoint to the 1990s grunge era. The casting in this movie is also pretty spectacular with Gary Cole giving those bizarre and rambling advice speeches, while Taylor looks so much like the original Marcia that it's downright spooky. Then we have those great easter eggs and callbacks to the series "pork chops and applesauce" as well as the whole Jan psychotic break which just adds to the film's bizarre and unique feel.

by Anonymousreply 46July 4, 2023 3:12 AM

It ages so well too because it ultimately becomes a time capsule of the 90s and how they viewed the 70s. Sort of like Back to the Future, both eras are retro.

by Anonymousreply 47July 4, 2023 3:14 AM

I just showed this movie to my 15 yr old niece. She and I quote it all the time now. "But Jan, you don't have any friends.” “Marcia Brady is harder to get into than a Pearl Jam concert.”

by Anonymousreply 48July 4, 2023 3:19 AM

The first film was pretty incredible.

Love when Marcia and Jan try to be models posing to the Charlie's Angels theme.

Then Marcia asks that girl who she has modeled for and the chick replies, "Guess (jeans)."

Then Marcia goes, "Levi's? Wrangler? ...Osh Kosh B'gosh!"

"Are you a Breck girl?"

by Anonymousreply 49July 4, 2023 3:27 AM

And Marcia and Jan doing various poses to the Charlie's Angels theme. Plus, the photographer (David Leisure) saying Marcia could be a model if she cut her hair, emaciated herself and got a boob job. "*slapping him* Cut my hair?!"

by Anonymousreply 50July 4, 2023 3:44 AM

Is no one going to mention Jean Smart? Wasn't she in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 51July 4, 2023 4:04 AM

“Yes, Greg?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 4, 2023 4:05 AM

[quote]Is no one going to mention Jean Smart? Wasn't she in the movie?

She's one of my favorite parts of the movie, r51. I think that was the first time I saw her in anything after Designing Women and was shocked how different she was from Charlene. She and Michael McKean are both great

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 4, 2023 4:31 AM

Love how OP’s thread on that forgettable TV movie has just devolved into a Brady Bunch Movie appreciation thread. It speaks to the film’s brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 54July 4, 2023 4:42 AM

Remember when cutie pie Thindy turned out to be racist, homophobic, schizoid white trash? Good times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 4, 2023 4:53 AM

The producers of the movie knew r55

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 4, 2023 4:56 AM

Christine hosts a podcast all about the 90s, and she convened a Brady movie reunion. They all said Shelly (who wasn’t there) was a total asshole.

by Anonymousreply 57July 4, 2023 5:09 AM

[quote]They all said Shelly (who wasn’t there) was a total asshole.

ca-caw!

by Anonymousreply 58July 4, 2023 5:12 AM

Maureen should have looked to Jennifer Aniston as her model for career superstardom. Become more iconic, untouchable and legendary (AMERICA’S SWEETHEART) and make great romcoms and sitcoms that capitalize on the girl next door appeal and white bread hotness.

by Anonymousreply 59July 4, 2023 9:42 AM

What should she have used R59, her crystal ball or her tarot cards?

by Anonymousreply 60July 4, 2023 9:45 AM

R59 is on more coke than Maureen.

by Anonymousreply 61July 4, 2023 9:46 AM

R60 how do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 62July 4, 2023 9:51 AM

How do I mean r62? Maureen wrapped TBB in 1974. Aniston didn’t take off until the late 90s. What do you think I mean?

by Anonymousreply 63July 4, 2023 9:56 AM

R63 I’m sure they mean Christine.

by Anonymousreply 64July 4, 2023 11:13 AM

AVBS is one of those sequels that’s genuinely better than the first - it feels more timeless while still making fun of the 70s. The first one mocked the 70s in contrast to the mid-90s grunge era but now that time is really dated today so it makes it feel a bit moldy; whereas the sequel feels much fresher over time because it gives a more general idea of the 90s being more modern than the early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 65July 4, 2023 11:16 AM

R53- I love her and her accent. She makes everything she is a part of better.

by Anonymousreply 66July 4, 2023 1:08 PM

[quote] [R27] She may have nice T&A but she has a face like a slapped backside. Nothing like the Maureen (or Christine).

This truly demented opinion (Maureen is a beauty — HA! — but Kaley is a dog — HA!), and the manner in which it is repeatedly and passionately advanced, is what I love the most about the DL.

by Anonymousreply 67July 4, 2023 1:33 PM

Maureen was a former child star, I think it was more difficult back then for child stars to become adult stars unless they had some special quality like Jodie Foster or Kurt Russell. Jennifer Aniston is not really an apt comparison here, I think Jen is more of the Farrah of her day, her hairstyle and not wearing a brea made her a big 90s icon and fucking hot guys like Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 68July 4, 2023 4:44 PM

R67; stfu please. You honestly think it’s not a general consensus that Maureen was very pretty and Kaley looked homely? It’s hilarious because she was cast as this dynamite beauty whose pussy Barry chases for five years and she was even less attractive than Jan.

That’s an issue, hon.

by Anonymousreply 69July 4, 2023 6:32 PM

Growing Up Horny

by Anonymousreply 70July 4, 2023 6:38 PM

I watched it on YouTube last night. Soooo cheesy. The kid who played Bobby had to be the real Bobby's son; they looked identical.

Now I want to go back and watch "The Real Live Brady Bunch" — there's a very rough tape of the original production on YouTube. Sarah Thyre and Melanie Hutsell are so perfect as Marcia and Jan that the audience is howling every time they make entrances. With Andy Richter as Mike and Jane Lynch as Carol.

by Anonymousreply 71July 4, 2023 7:31 PM

You legitimately think Kaley Cuoco’s face is as attractive as Maureen McCormick’s, R67? Have you considered lasik?

by Anonymousreply 72July 4, 2023 8:35 PM

What a ridiculous thing to be so foot stompy over, r72.

by Anonymousreply 73July 4, 2023 8:56 PM

Not at all R73, I just find her to be genuinely unattractive while Maureen was a solid 8. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

by Anonymousreply 74July 4, 2023 9:02 PM

If I remember, not long before this TV movie, Barry Williams did an updated version of Growing Up Brady, It included his thoughts on the Brady Bunch movies. He was okay with the first one, and very much hated A Very Brady Sequel. The way I'm remembering it was that he got huffy about the Greg and Marcia subplot, which seem really out of character considering how much he dined out on having wanted to do Maureen.

by Anonymousreply 75July 4, 2023 11:05 PM

Also, it's kinda interesting that both Barry and David Cassidy's books included accounts about their relationships with costars that are more than a little embarassing in hindsight. It would be like if Kaley Cuoco (see what I'm doing here?) came out with a book and took the attitude of "Well, Johnny and I *could* have fucked, but ..."

by Anonymousreply 76July 4, 2023 11:07 PM

She and Johnny did fuck for years, r76

by Anonymousreply 77July 4, 2023 11:25 PM

For someone who was so "above" the Brady scripts, Robert Reed never turned down a chance/check to play Mike Brady. The awful variety show, the Brady Brides, the Brady Christmas movie, the hourlong Bradys series.

All three of the girls didn't come back at various points for various reasons, but Mr. Man of the Theatah always was willing and available.

by Anonymousreply 78July 4, 2023 11:28 PM

And it isn't as if Reed was doing spectacular work in critically acclaimed productions in between Brady gigs, was it? Let's see, he was the airline pilot in SST Death Flight, a family man who can't stop making obscene phonecalls in another '70s cheesefest, made a guest appearance on the execrable Galactica 1980, and was a vampire in an episode of Fantasy Island, among other dross.

It's not as if he were playing Richard III for Joe Papp.

by Anonymousreply 79July 4, 2023 11:48 PM

[quote] Maureen once told the story of offering Susan Dey a little toot of powder at a party, assuming she’d be game - but that Dey was appalled, telling her to “get some help” and immediately storming off. Susan Dey has had a stick up her ass for 50 years. Maureen sounds like she was a good time in the 70s.

As she details in her memoir, Maureen had a serious drug problem by the end of the Seventies. She would sometimes have sex in order to get drugs.

I don't think Susan Dey was the one with the problem there.

by Anonymousreply 80July 5, 2023 12:04 AM

Reed ALSO received three Emmy nominations in the 70s for esteemed tv projects like Roots, Rich Man Poor Man and Medical Center, so he had the best career out of all of them after the show ended. I’ve heard he wanted to try variety programming, as a challenge as an actor, which lured him to do the horrible Brady Bunch hour. Plus he loved the kids, Florence and Ann, so this, combined with a nice payday, and I’m sure there wasn’t much arm twisting to get him to do Brady related things. And with age, he probably realized, as an actor, you don’t turn down money for doing an easy role like Mike Brady with people you genuinely liked. You can’t be doing Shakespeare in the park all the time.

by Anonymousreply 81July 5, 2023 12:13 AM

[quote]She would sometimes have sex in order to get drugs

Anyone on DL wanna cast the first stone?

by Anonymousreply 82July 5, 2023 12:21 AM

Just imagine if they continued onto the sixth season and killed off Mike Brady and made Carol a widow...

by Anonymousreply 83July 5, 2023 12:52 AM

R83 they probably would’ve recast the part. The show couldn’t have continued with Carol as a widow. It was definitely a MOTHER FATHER type family show. We all know what happened with Good Times when Amos was fired. Straight down the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 84July 5, 2023 1:01 AM

[quote]Just imagine if they continued onto the sixth season and killed off Mike Brady and made Carol a widow...

That was the plan with the 1990s show THE BRADYS, too. It was an hourlong drama but Reed felt the scripts weren't up to par again. So Sherwood Schwartz planned to kill off Mike, which at least would fit better in a drama, but the ratings were so low the show was pulled.

It's pretty dreary — fake Marcia becomes an alcoholic and is cured all in one episode, Bobby becomes a quadriplegic, etc.

by Anonymousreply 85July 5, 2023 1:34 AM

Greg Brady was on Mission:Impossible this evening and I saw him in Pippin. I feel so connected to this thread right now.

by Anonymousreply 86July 5, 2023 5:40 AM

R86, you inspired me to go looking for information about Williams’ Pippen performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 5, 2023 12:02 PM

Wasn’t Reed on a short-loved, but acclaimed drama with Michael Learned? I think it was called Nurse, but maybe I’m confusing it with Medical Center.

by Anonymousreply 88July 5, 2023 4:35 PM

Thanks for someone reminding me about the incredible 1990’s bore fest, The Brady’s which lasted like a month.

Why the fuck was Leah Ayres cast as Marcia? She’s not even a fucking blonde. I did enjoy her embarrassing herself pretending to be drunk for an episode. At least if Maureen played her then she could act it well given how knee deep she was in substances to forget her career had turned to shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89July 5, 2023 5:03 PM

R88, you’re remembering correctly.

Michael Learned and Robert Reed starred in the series which ran for 2 seasons (1981-1982). Season 1 consisted of only 6 episodes. Learned was nominated for a Best Actress Emmy twice, winning for season 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 5, 2023 5:20 PM

I always found it so weird that the tip off for Florence H that Bob Reed was gay was that he felt uncomfortable kissing her. This was an actor who I’m sure had done plenty of kissing scenes with women in film and stage and was married to a woman for a time. It didn’t make him hard, but I can’t imagine he couldn’t make it look convincing.

Or was her ego that big that she couldn’t imagine a man wouldn’t delight in drenching her?

by Anonymousreply 91July 5, 2023 5:27 PM

*french-ing her, I meant to say.

by Anonymousreply 92July 5, 2023 5:28 PM

I thought Bob and Florence had great chemistry and made a hot couple. They seemed fond of each other in real life. Did Flo suspect Ann was gay too?

by Anonymousreply 93July 5, 2023 5:32 PM

Christine Taylor & her "Hey Dude" (Nickelodeon) co-star David Lascher host a fun podcast called "Hey Dude...The '90s Called!"

One of their early episodes was a Brady Bunch Movie reunion (minus Shelley Long, Gary Cole & Jessie Lee Sofer). It covers much of the same ground as the VICE article at R18, but it's a really great listen! (and they drag on Shelley some more).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94July 5, 2023 6:29 PM

Someone told me Barry Williams is an uber conservative deplorable these days. Can anyone confirm?

by Anonymousreply 95July 5, 2023 7:27 PM

I listened to that podcast; it was mildly interesting. ALL the actors who played the Brady kids describe Shelley Long as "a pain in the ass," but they don't go into why. The actress who played Alice also played Shelley's maid on another project and said Shelley tried to order her around on the set. They also said the original Brady cast didn't and doesn't like them much.

The casting process took months. Apparently everyone knew Christine Taylor was Marcia from the start and the rest of the kids were assembled around her

by Anonymousreply 96July 5, 2023 7:44 PM

[quote]They also said the original Brady cast didn't and doesn't like them much.

How come?

I remember the promos for the movies included the original Brady kids interacting with their film counterparts.

by Anonymousreply 97July 5, 2023 7:47 PM

R97 The movie cast refer to themselves as the “red headed stepchildren” of the Brady universe. They seem to indicate that the OG cast resents them for what they perceived as making fun of them.

by Anonymousreply 98July 5, 2023 7:49 PM

It’s too bad the movies weren’t made after Mo’s bombshell memoir came out. We could have had jokes about long trips to the bathroom, itchy nose etc.

by Anonymousreply 99July 5, 2023 7:51 PM

R90 — thanks for the post!

by Anonymousreply 100July 5, 2023 7:51 PM

R89 - I agree that Leah Ayres wasn’t the best choice for Marcia, but she was definitely blond on Edge of Night, and I think she was blond in other appearances too.

by Anonymousreply 101July 5, 2023 7:53 PM

Also on the pod: Gary Cole had never seen BB before and didn't like it when he had to watch it. He told one of the kids he could only get through three episodes at a time.

When they reconvened for the sequel, one of the kids said "Hi, Gary!" and he replied "Money money!"

The girls all thought he was hot.

by Anonymousreply 102July 5, 2023 7:58 PM

And the kids made some paltry amount for the movie + sequel. If memory serves they were signed up for a three picture deal, so weren’t able to renegotiate for the second film. A case of history repeating itself considering the OG cast made next to nothing too.

by Anonymousreply 103July 5, 2023 8:07 PM

R95: Barry & Chris Knight have a podcast called "The Real Brady Bros" which I have enjoyed as someone raised on the Brady Bunch.

While I don't think Barry comes across *quite* as out-there/deplorable/MAGAt as Susan Olsen (they don't talk politics on the podcast)...yeah, he comes across as a Republican.

That doesn't surprise me in the least, given that he was raised in 1960s-1970s Pacific Palisades. Every kid I ever met from the Palisades (1970s-80s) were from conservative, Republican families...the whole Riviera Country Club crowd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 5, 2023 8:13 PM

Maureen was pregnant and had her baby during the duration of the filming of The Bradys, and she didn’t want anytime away from her newborn. She probably thought it would go on longer than it did, so she declined the show. Interesting that the Brady Brides movie is the only Brady project with all the original actors.

by Anonymousreply 105July 5, 2023 8:20 PM

Are the OG Brady kids pissed that their '90s reboot was canceled after six episodes but the two movies (not including them) were successful at the box office not long after?

by Anonymousreply 106July 5, 2023 8:39 PM

On the podcast at r94, Henriette Mantel who played Alice in the movies specified it's the hardcore fans of the Brady Bunch sitcom who treat the movie cast as red-headed stepchildren not the cast. The actor who played Peter in the movies said Christopher Knight has always been cool to him and Christine Taylor said Maureen McCormick has communicated with Ben Stiller on twitter about Christine's portrayal (Taylor isn't on social media.)

I imagine Eve Plumb hates that the movies gave renewed life to the show and focused on Jan being psychotic. And in Barry's autobiography he seemed miffed that the movies portrayed Greg as a dork with no success with the ladies. He probably prefers to cater to the fans of the sitcom who want to fuck him (vomit)

by Anonymousreply 107July 5, 2023 8:54 PM

R42 The idea that this famous, successful actress - who is married to a huge movie star - can’t get a call back from washed up Maureen fucking McCormick of all people is kind of hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 108July 5, 2023 8:54 PM

I don’t buy it R107. Maybe years ago. But the movie cast is arguably more recognizable than the original cast these days. Marcia and Jan in particular are Gen Z icons thanks to all the memes, “Sure Jan” etc. Just like everyone knows Christina Ricci is Wednesday but people would be hard pressed to name original Wednesday.

by Anonymousreply 109July 5, 2023 8:58 PM

Eve Plumb despises the movies, and openly admitted she refuses to even watch them. I think she resents the characterization of Jan as some kind of loony nut job.

by Anonymousreply 110July 5, 2023 9:02 PM

R104 Awe jesus, gross. That’s him on my shit list, then.

by Anonymousreply 111July 5, 2023 9:03 PM

Eve Plumb sounds like a blast...

by Anonymousreply 112July 5, 2023 9:09 PM

Eve Plumb is not bitter, dammit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 5, 2023 9:13 PM

Eve is a no nonsense broad and probably finds the constant talk about something she did 50 years ago inexplicable and tedious. That said, she continues to profit so she could stand to be a little more good humored. You could tell it took everything she had to sit through that Brady renovation show. But, y’know… cha ching.

by Anonymousreply 114July 5, 2023 9:14 PM

Barry & Chris talk about their reaction to the Brady Bunch Movie in this Q&A (starting at 3:28 ). They didn't think it was mean-spirited; they thought it was clever (but didn't particularly care for the sequel).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 5, 2023 9:16 PM

R113 it says that was in 1995, so the year the first movie came out.

I wonder if she was bitter that it was a hit?

by Anonymousreply 116July 5, 2023 9:16 PM

Eve is constantly pushing her ugly coffee mugs on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 117July 5, 2023 9:21 PM

Here's a less bitter but still somewhat passive-aggressive interview with Eve on Wendy Williams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 5, 2023 9:23 PM

R116 She probably resented that it made the show a topic of conversation again. As I recall, she was trying to make a go of it off Broadway and was most likely clinging onto a kernel of hope that the show would fade away as time went on, and eventually people would stop asking her about it and take her seriously for her work on stage. The movies brought it all to the fore again. I can imagine it was infuriating for her.

Eve and Maureen were the only two cast members who refused to film cameos for the movies, as well.

by Anonymousreply 119July 5, 2023 9:23 PM

Eve is actually a decent artist. My husband and I found two signed lithographs at a gallery in LA - very simple, of palm trees in front of brightly colored buildings - but charming and well done. Imagine my surprise to see “Eve Plumb” scrawled in the corners. Of course we had to buy them, and if I recall they were affordable at $60 or $80 a pop.

A few years later I happened to see her at another artist’s exhibition in Santa Monica, and when I approached her she looked visibly nervous and exasperated, obviously assuming I was a Brady fan. When I proceeded to show her photos of our framed lithographs and ask about her art, she visibly lit up and couldn’t have been more charming or engaged. I ended up talking with her for about 20 minutes and came away with a newfound sense of respect for this intelligent, creative lady.

by Anonymousreply 120July 5, 2023 9:30 PM

Fun few minutes talking with Susan about the Maureen Eve feud, and Eve’s being sick of being associated with Jan. Eve probably has softened a little bit on the entire BB thing. She seemed to be having some fun in the BB renovation show, but of course money talks. Susan says appreciate Eve for her paintings, but she’s always going to be Jan until her grave. Hopefully she’s made some kind of peace with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 5, 2023 9:34 PM

R121 Christ all she’s missing is a Coors Light and a menthol cigarette.

by Anonymousreply 122July 5, 2023 9:41 PM

I like Eve. Several years ago, she donated the bedroom door from her childhood home (which is covered with 1970s stickers) to the Valley Relics Museum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 5, 2023 9:43 PM

R123 Very cool. Like Susan says in the video above, Eve deserves to move on and leave Jan behind if that’s her choice. I don’t think it makes her a sourpuss or a curmudgeon. I’d hate constantly talking about something I did in junior high.

by Anonymousreply 124July 5, 2023 9:47 PM

Aging and life experience have clearly mellowed Our Eve. She was on Sherri a couple months ago and talked about creating a Brady themed mug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 5, 2023 9:52 PM

Maureen is frequently at the same quilt shop in the Valley as my mother. They’ve even worked together on quilting projects. Mom didn’t watch TBB so has no connection to Mo, other than to say she does a sloppy running stitch.

by Anonymousreply 126July 5, 2023 10:03 PM

Maureen McCormick does a sloppy stitch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 5, 2023 10:24 PM

[quote]other than to say she does a sloppy running stitch.

I knew there was a reason that I disliked her.

by Anonymousreply 128July 5, 2023 10:35 PM

During the 2020 election, Barry like a lot of MAGA/trump tweets, and then even more so during that “big lie” period between the election and inauguration. Sadly, he seems to be right there alongside Olsen.

by Anonymousreply 129July 5, 2023 10:49 PM

R129 Even more reason to love Eve. She’s a staunch liberal. I wonder how she tolerates interacting with Barry and Susan.

by Anonymousreply 130July 5, 2023 10:54 PM

She just thinks green, R130.

by Anonymousreply 131July 5, 2023 10:55 PM

[quote]Even more reason to love Eve. She’s a staunch liberal.

So is Maureen.

by Anonymousreply 132July 5, 2023 11:10 PM

Makes sense R132. Dems love coke. Just look at what they found in the White House. Deplorables favor meth, and opiates.

by Anonymousreply 133July 5, 2023 11:11 PM

What about Christopher Knight? He can’t be too liberal if he agreed to a podcast with MAGA Williams.

by Anonymousreply 134July 5, 2023 11:40 PM

[quote]Even more reason to love Eve. She’s a staunch liberal.

Mindy Cohn posted a picture of her and Eve in New York a while back. If I remember, they'd just had lunch and were going to an art museum.

They looked like what they seem to be: liberal ladies of a certain age enjoying a day in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 135July 6, 2023 12:24 AM

I picture Eve's thought bubble whenever confronted by Brady fans is pretty much William Shatner's 'get a life!' speech from SNL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 6, 2023 1:48 AM

[quote] What about Christopher Knight? He can’t be too liberal if he agreed to a podcast with MAGA Williams.

In November 2007, Chris said he was a Libertarian -- and was leaning toward voting for Obama (at the writing of the linked article). What does it matter if he agrees with Barry's political views or not? They aren't discussing politics/current events. They're discussing the fucking plots of Brady Bunch episodes & sharing their memories of filming them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 6, 2023 2:49 AM

Interesting that he calls Susan Olsen a “strident liberal” R137. You’d never know it now. Sad that the cesspool of social media and Facebook fear mongering sent her so far in the other direction.

by Anonymousreply 138July 6, 2023 3:28 AM

I couldn’t personally work one on one with someone who I knew harbored such ignorant, hateful beliefs R137. Even in a group context, it would be challenging. I feel for Eve (and Maureen, though she seems a little less substantive and soulful). Some of the things Olsen has professed are downright evil.

by Anonymousreply 139July 6, 2023 3:32 AM

Christopher Knight is still such a hot daddy, even now with the extra padding. If he was riding my ass and that beefy belly slammed up against me while he was doing it I would shoot my load 20 feet out of sheer excitement.

by Anonymousreply 140July 6, 2023 3:42 AM

Didn't you say the same thing about Jon Hamm?

by Anonymousreply 141July 6, 2023 3:46 AM

So R141. Both mouthwatering silver daddies

by Anonymousreply 142July 6, 2023 3:47 AM

R139 to R140 is the most DL transition ever.

by Anonymousreply 143July 6, 2023 4:13 AM

I remember in the 2000s, Chris Knight was on one of the seasons of THE SURREAL LIFE, alongside supermodels Marcus Schenkenberg and Adrianne Curry, who the producers were hoping would hook up and heat up the show à la MTV's REAL WORLD, but Curry was smitten by middle-aged Knight and pursued him instead.

I didn't blame her. I'm an '80s baby, so to me THE BRADY BUNCH was the '90s movie cast, but watching SURREAL LIFE, I too developed a crush on Knight. He's so cute and likable.

by Anonymousreply 144July 6, 2023 11:27 AM

R144 - I think they married, we’re on a few other reality shows, and later divorced.

Re: Eve Plumb - I doubt she earns too much connected to the Brady franchise, maybe she earned for the renovation show, but o doubt she’s receiving much else from the Brady-verse.

by Anonymousreply 145July 6, 2023 2:16 PM

Chris Knight has remarried again - to his 4th wife Cara. They wed in 2016. This is his longest marriage to date.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 6, 2023 2:57 PM

Fun Fact, for those preoccupied with the Brady-cast's political leanings:

Florence Henderson sang the National Anthem at the 1973 inauguration of Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley (which was protested by some Neo-Nazi groups, across the street from City Hall):

Unfortunately, there are no photos (or clips) of her singing, however, she's pretty easy to spot at 0:54-0:58 in the link. At the bottom of the screen, pale-yellow dress....she does a little head toss, as she stands to applaud Mayor Bradley (to get her bangs out of her eyes?). She was seated right behind Bradley's daughters for the ceremony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147July 7, 2023 1:50 AM

Well, good thing for you R139 that it's not your "problem". And I don't think Eve or Maureen need your sympathy...they seem capable of dealing with any political differences (publicly) with their castmates, for "the greater good"/their long-time relationships, at this point. Eve has guested on Barry & Chris's podcast (and they constantly promote her wares). Does that make Eve "less liberal" in light of that?

by Anonymousreply 148July 7, 2023 3:33 AM

You queens need to chill about the Trump supporting Brady’s. Who gives a shit? They have no power. You sound like the fucking idiots on Tumblr.

by Anonymousreply 149July 7, 2023 7:03 AM

This is the annoying thing the actress playing Eve does when she introduces herself:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 7, 2023 7:40 AM

[quote]Mindy Cohn posted a picture of her and Eve in New York a while back. If I remember, they'd just had lunch and were going to an art museum.

R135: And here they are in Santa Monica last week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151July 7, 2023 11:02 PM

Mindy Cohn has always been one of the ugliest human beings. I’m shocked she was ever allowed on camera. She makes me wanna be even more gay.

by Anonymousreply 152July 7, 2023 11:29 PM

I just watched the first movie on Prime and forgot how fucking funny it was!

"Don't bend over, Mr. Brady!"

The gay couple hanging on each other as the neighbors all decide to stay.

The big ending with the boxes where Peter's latina teacher is wearing nothing but her bra and cradling him to her chest.

Mike & Carol in the bottom box and he mimes pouring Wesson oil on his dick!

by Anonymousreply 153July 7, 2023 11:55 PM

Eve looks great at r151. I wasn't a fan of the super short bleached hair she was sporting during the HGTV project. Looks much more natural here.

I like Mindy but not a fan of the super short bangs.

by Anonymousreply 154July 8, 2023 8:19 AM

I don't know if it was in his book or in an interview but I recall Barry Williams saying he refused to audition for parts after The Brady Bunch ended. If a director or producer asked him to audition, he would say "turn on the tv to see what I can do". WTF. He thought spending his teenage years saying "Hi mom, what's for dinner", "Bobby, cut it out" and "I'm going to the library" made him some kind of superstar? Hollywood sure does breed a special kind of delusional narcissism and no wonder so many child actors turned out so messed up.

by Anonymousreply 155August 21, 2023 3:47 PM

I’d imagine Maureen and Barry both expected to become big stars. And I get it, especially in the case of Maureen. I can only imagine how much the people surrounding them must have been blowing up their egos at the time.

by Anonymousreply 156August 21, 2023 9:26 PM

I saw Maureen McCormick at Von’s in Studio City a few weeks ago. She still has that same Marsha face, and was smiling and chatting with the checkout girl. Seems like a nice normal broad.

by Anonymousreply 157August 23, 2023 9:31 PM

Did you see her in the back alley picking up an extra little treat after she had finished her grocery shopping, R157?

by Anonymousreply 158August 24, 2023 12:38 AM

R158=Eve Plumb

by Anonymousreply 159August 24, 2023 4:17 AM

Susan Olsen looks like something out of Deliverance, or some backwoods Florida swamp. Like she has a pet gator named Spike and a penchant for klan rallies.

by Anonymousreply 160August 25, 2023 6:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!