Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Waters' PINK FLAMINGOS

On TCM, starting NOW!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2023 7:10 AM

That was a fucking horrific movie.

I had never seen it before, and it's completely vile and disgusting.

And I've seen some vile and disgusting movies.

I'm surprised that John Waters ever found work again, after making that literal shit-fest of a movie.

by Anonymousreply 1July 1, 2023 9:37 AM

R1 You might want to research John Waters. He was a rebellious underground filmmaker, shot on micro-budgets with mostly his Baltimore-area friends who were artists, hippies, addicts, strippers, hustlers, and drag performers. His early films, including PF were purposefully vulgar and disturbing as a way empowering those deemed deviant by a conventional and repressive society. He was actively participating in the social upheaval and counter-culture movement from the ‘60s. All his films are social commentaries.

I think his sharpest satire and funniest movie where all of his ideas are focused and fully realized, is Female Trouble. It’s not as gross as PF and it has a lot of great, quotable lines. Much of the same cast is in it as in PF. Divine was his main star and his muse. Divine’s stardom helped JW gain legitimacy as well as cult icon status. They were both able to use that to obtain more mainstream work. They were no longer Baltimore weirdos. They had money and status.

by Anonymousreply 2July 1, 2023 10:18 AM

John Waters was bankrolled by his well off parents.

His "underground" rebel image was a myth and he treated his performers badly.

The films are fun in spots but very dated, saved only by the real talent of Divine.

by Anonymousreply 3July 1, 2023 10:35 AM

I can't believe that Divine was actually filmed giving head to the guy who played her son.

He was actually kind of cute.

by Anonymousreply 4July 2, 2023 2:04 AM

I’m watching Jaws on FX

by Anonymousreply 5July 2, 2023 2:09 AM

Was this film widely released in theaters? I just watched it on my laptop--I wonder what it would have been like to see this with an audience.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2023 9:34 PM

R6 The first time I saw it was about 20 years ago. The Castro Theater in SF did a screening of it. The audience's collective screams of repulsion at the end was quite an experience.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2023 9:53 PM

r6 It was a midnight movie at the Nuart in West LA for years.

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2023 12:31 AM

R1 is sort of right - it IS fucking horrific. And vile and disgusting. And hilarious with it

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2023 5:39 AM

Bitch, how old is this thread? Put a FUCKING DATE on it, OP!

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2023 7:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!