Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

She May Be "Back Street," But Still Susan Hayward's Show

Susan Hayward was born on this day & at 44, she looked sensational in 1961's "Back Street." AND Hayward had one of her most sympathetic latter day roles in this Ross Hunter soap opera. A great supporting cast helps this story of a career woman who becomes the other woman to unhappily married John Gavin. Vera Miles is a scene stealer as the shrewish wife, but it's still Susie's show & she gives a star performance:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 9, 2024 12:14 AM

And wasn’t it supposed to take place in WW II? Everything screamed sixties…

by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2023 11:59 PM

So typical of '60s movies... Same story with "Where Love Has Gone," three years later. The early part takes place during WWII, but you'd never know it...

by Anonymousreply 2July 1, 2023 12:11 AM

I love Hayward, and always wonder why she doesn't get more gay love from gay film lovers.

If only she'd made a couple more truly great classic movies. She has 64 film & TV credits, but I'd say only a handful of her films are great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 1, 2023 12:16 AM

The only Susan Hayward film where another actress steals the show. I love Susan but I find her a bit too nice in this. I still love it though

by Anonymousreply 4July 1, 2023 12:22 AM

Too bad Douglas Sirk stopped making films in Hollywood by the time this film was made. He and Ross Hunter were a good team.

by Anonymousreply 5July 1, 2023 12:52 AM

She looks like Shelley Fabares at R3.

by Anonymousreply 6July 1, 2023 1:17 AM

Yes, Sirk gave Hunter's films some oomph!

by Anonymousreply 7July 1, 2023 1:32 AM

'The funny thing about the old cliches is that they are true. You can't break the rules....you can't do what you want in spite of others.....you can't do what you want."

by Anonymousreply 8July 1, 2023 1:37 AM

Susy was one vulnerable barracuda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 1, 2023 1:55 AM

Original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 1, 2023 5:41 AM

he 1940 version with Margaret Sullavan and Charles Boyer is the best version. The Hayward version is not good.

I love Susan Hayward in My Foolish Heart, though. And she’s good in he Snows Of Kilimanjaro (though Ava Gardner is better), and I Can Get It For You Wholesale.

by Anonymousreply 11July 1, 2023 6:53 AM

Sorry my T is sticking...

by Anonymousreply 12July 1, 2023 6:58 AM

As are the fingers and palm of your right hand.

by Anonymousreply 13July 1, 2023 7:21 AM

What was Virginia Grey's deal, anyway? She was so painfully thin. Also, while I'm sure all the stops were pulled to make Susan look like a total doll at 44, she doesn't look like a shellacked mannequin like Lana did at 38 in Imitation of Life...

by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2023 11:40 AM

I think Virginia Grey she was sort of a good luck charm for Ross Hunter and he had her in a lot of his films. Or he wanted to keep her employed. She was also in some of her friend Lana Turner’s films for that reason, I think.

She was at MGM for a long time and tested for and came close to getting some star parts (like the female lead in Cass Timberlane, with Spencer Tracy - that eventually went to Lana). She also went out with Clark Gable off and on for years and apparently they were about to get married when he suddenly married Lady Sylvia Ashley unexpectedly.

I don’t think Virginia ever got married, but never heard she was gay.

by Anonymousreply 15July 3, 2023 9:02 PM

Virginia Gray as Crystal's co-worker, Pat has my favorite scene in The Women.

by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2023 9:26 PM

R16 It would be better if she didn’t have the “Just because she’s dark” line about Butterfly McQueen.

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2023 10:12 PM

Butter Queen.

by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2023 11:12 PM

Virginia Grey and Ross Hunter were good friends - you'll always find her someplace in the movies he produced.

by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2023 3:07 PM

Rae Smith

by Anonymousreply 20April 7, 2024 7:26 PM

R3. Well she has a reputation on DL as being somewhat homophobic, so ….

by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2024 9:01 PM

R21 There's a phone interview with her son on the internet somewhere where he says his mom was surrounded with nothing but gays in the last years of her life. Doesn't sound like the kind of company a homophobe would keep.

by Anonymousreply 22April 8, 2024 1:16 AM

R22. Well I’m glad to hear that. Either I was given wrong information (entirely possible) or she mellowed in her later years, when she was ill and gay men were probably the people who gave her time and care. I always liked her.

by Anonymousreply 23April 8, 2024 3:47 AM

R2 When in a few years we look at today's movies that take place in the 1970's and 1980's, we'll be cringing at them too. Hollywood rarely gets it right. One exception is Licorice Pizza.

by Anonymousreply 24April 8, 2024 4:12 AM

More truly great classic movies, R3! How much more classic do you need than Valley of the Dolls, you poor deluded gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 8, 2024 1:13 PM

Happy Heavenly Birthday, John Gavin!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 8, 2024 1:50 PM

R20 - I think you mean rae Smith

by Anonymousreply 27April 8, 2024 1:51 PM

I liked Susan Hayward in westerns.

"Rawhide" (1951) With Tyrone Power, Hugh Marlowe , Dean Jagger, Edgar Buchanan and Jack Elam.

and

"Garden of Evil" 1954 technicolor western with Susan, Gary Cooper, Richard Widmark, Hugh Marlow and Cameron Mitchell.

by Anonymousreply 28April 9, 2024 12:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!