Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Final: Least Deserving Best Actress winner ever!

Well, we are finally here, the complete poll for least deserving BA winner ever!

This is based on the results of our polls over the last 10 weeks.

Please vote and share all your interesting thoughts here..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 11, 2023 2:19 AM

Gwyneth. That Oscar should have gone to Fernanda Montenegro.

by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2023 8:45 PM

You forgot Helen Hunt, OP, who gets my vote.

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2023 9:01 PM

Helen Hunt unfortunately lost to Goop in the '90s poll.

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2023 9:04 PM

Not in my personal poll, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2023 9:05 PM

That Luise Rainer so far doesn't have any votes while Jennifer Lawrence and Gwyneth Paltrow are dominating the poll shows that this isn't a vote of the least deserving Best Actress winner ever. It's a poll of which actresses DL hates the most.

by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2023 9:06 PM

Exactly, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6June 30, 2023 9:13 PM

Louise Fletcher, One Flow Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

It's not that she was bad in the role. The role is not a leading one -- it is supporting city.

by Anonymousreply 7June 30, 2023 9:19 PM

She was the lead actress in that, R7, and she had a lot of screen time. Of course, it was a leading role.

by Anonymousreply 8June 30, 2023 9:26 PM

R5 I tried to make it clear it's just based on quality of performance and nothing else in all of our polls

by Anonymousreply 9June 30, 2023 9:27 PM

Angela Lansbury turned down Cuckoo’s Nest. So did Colleen Dewhurst, Geraldine Page, and Anne Bancroft.

by Anonymousreply 10June 30, 2023 9:45 PM

You didn't say based on quality of performance, though, R9. So yeah, the poll becomes whom do I like the least? I'm wondering if most of the queens here even know who Luise Rainer was. Of course, the eldergays would!

by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2023 9:49 PM

[quote]I'm wondering if most of the queens here even know who Luise Rainer was.

Tell me you know nothing about DL history without telling me you know nothing about DL history.

You must be “so young”.

by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2023 9:55 PM

Said it before, will say it again: Paltrow is fabulous in SIL

I listen to Oscar nerd podcasts and Glenda Jackson's second win is the real head scratcher. The movie also is supposed to absolutely suck.

by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2023 9:59 PM

Darling, R12--I'm not "so young." But the Lawrence/Paltrow venom seems slightly less eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2023 10:05 PM

I wasn't really happy putting McDormand in over Mary Pickford from our last poll as she apparently sucked balls in Coquette but the poll said otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2023 10:21 PM

Gwenyth Paltrow

by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2023 10:25 PM

Mary Pickford

by Anonymousreply 17July 1, 2023 5:56 AM

Hepburn in OGP was a ‘reactive’ performance where nothing revolved around her and she wasn’t the center of attention, but that doesn’t make it a bad or undeserving performance. She was reacting to a husband’s incipient dementia and the daughter-father relationship. Ethel really holds the film together.

by Anonymousreply 18July 1, 2023 6:46 AM

R5 Bullshit. Harvey got both of them their Oscars. It’s not a coincidence he was behind both of those movies.

by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2023 6:50 AM

Just like it’s not a coincidence Jennifer’s career shit the bed when Harvey got locked up.

by Anonymousreply 20July 1, 2023 6:53 AM

Jackson was very funny in "A Touch of Class" but the movie was still kind of lame.

by Anonymousreply 21July 1, 2023 7:00 AM

R19, you're proving my point. You're not judging the performances by Paltrow and Lawrence, you're just bringing up the Harvey connection, which is usually a roundabout way of saying they're sluts.

Tell me what exactly is so bad about what Jennifer Lawrence does on screen in Silver Linings Playbook, or what Gwyneth does in Shakespeare in Love. Those who hate them never really mention that, it's just foaming at the mouth about how they fucked Harvey without discussing the merits of either performance.

by Anonymousreply 22July 1, 2023 7:30 AM

I personally feel Hunt was less deserving than Paltrow in the 90s

by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2023 7:35 AM

Least deserving Best Actress winner is Norma Shearer in The Divorcee.

by Anonymousreply 24July 1, 2023 8:52 PM

Yeah the flaw in this kind of elimination system is that the two truly worst performances, Pickford and Hunt, were KOed in earlier rounds. So a vote for Paltrow can be considered a proxy vote for Hunt. But Pickford is still the overall worst.

by Anonymousreply 25July 1, 2023 8:59 PM

Nobody dared mention Halle Berry?

by Anonymousreply 26July 1, 2023 9:01 PM

R22 is exactly right. Lawrence and Paltrow are both fine in those movies. I would say Paltrow was the more deserving of the two. The hate queens here don't know the difference between personal antipathy and aesthetic judgment.

by Anonymousreply 27July 1, 2023 10:42 PM

[quote] So a vote for Paltrow can be considered a proxy vote for Hunt.

No, it can't, R25.

by Anonymousreply 28July 1, 2023 10:44 PM

Guys, who should be on the poll that didn't make it? There's some there I felt people were voting for out of disdain for the actress which I hoped wouldn't have been the case

by Anonymousreply 29July 1, 2023 10:44 PM

Grace Kelly. She’s a paper doll, nothing more.

Any of the other four should have won over her, especially Judy Garland in A Star Is Born.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2023 11:10 PM

Jennifer Lawrence. Most of the other weak winners at least show some ambition in their roles — her part was not demanding, could have been played by any semi-competent performer, and she was miscast. Plus, she’s a terrible actress in general.

by Anonymousreply 31July 2, 2023 12:25 AM

Honorable mention for Natalie Portman in Black Swan.

by Anonymousreply 32July 2, 2023 12:33 AM

Grace Kelly may not have been brilliant in The Country Girl but honestly was Audrey Hepburn so masterly in Roman Holiday the previous year? Grace was in several good films around then including Rear Window (1954) - she was a fascinating new star to a lot of people and new stars often win Oscars. Garland was more deserving due to the demanding role she played but she wasn’t perfect, either.

Jennifer Jones was supposed to be in The Country Girl (film) originally, she later did it on stage in New York and got good reviews. Uta Hagen did it on Broadway originally and Faye Dunaway did it on TV (which I saw). I thought her performance was actually very similar to Grace’s. It’s not a very difficult role. Grace had some good moments.

by Anonymousreply 33July 2, 2023 4:57 AM

Paltrow was okay in 'Shakespeare in Love'. But it was a much less demanding role to the superior performance given by Cate Blanchett in 'Elizabeth'. Paltrow benefited from the Miramax/Weinstein publicity machine. Many Oscar voters now say that Blanchett should have won over Paltrow.

In any event, Blanchett has gone on to be one of the biggest actresses in the world with more Oscar wins & nominations than Paltrow, while the latter has no acting career at all.

by Anonymousreply 34July 2, 2023 7:57 AM

[quote] Paltrow, while the latter has no acting career at all.

What are you talking about, R34?

by Anonymousreply 35July 2, 2023 3:50 PM

To her credit, Paltrow did just give the most entertaining performance of her career a few months ago.

Maybe she doesn’t deserve an Oscar, but she deserves some prize for whispering “I wish you well.”

by Anonymousreply 36July 2, 2023 4:10 PM

R35, I was referring to the fact that Blanchett has had a huge acting career ever since "Elizabeth" whereas Paltrow has none.

by Anonymousreply 37July 3, 2023 7:16 AM

It's ridiculous to say Paltrow has no acting career, even if it's not on par with Blanchett's. No career means absolutely no career.

by Anonymousreply 38July 3, 2023 11:12 AM

Wanted to mention, I thought it odd that the one Hollywood film of Clifford Odets’ play, The Country Girl, turned it into a semi-musical. With songs by the same team who composed the score for A Star Is Born the same year, Harold Arlen and Ira Gershwin. I think Bing Crosby had four songs, all of them well integrated into the plot. He played a singer and musical-comedy performer rather than a star of straight plays, as. In the stage version. It worked ok, just seemed like a strange thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 39July 3, 2023 8:18 PM

I would have preferred Sandra Bullock to have won for Gravity. I thought she was amazing in that role.

by Anonymousreply 40July 3, 2023 8:43 PM

I didn’t realize McDormand’s win for Nomadland was so hated here. Personally, I thought her 3 Billboards win was even worse.

by Anonymousreply 41July 3, 2023 8:46 PM

OP, why isn't Mary Pickford on this list? Her performance in "Coquette" has repeatedly been termed the worst by critics--she was only given the award because she was such a big power in the industry at the time still.

by Anonymousreply 42July 3, 2023 9:29 PM

R42 You may be right but I assumed she also go it because she proved she could do a popular talkie and throw off the “sweet little girl” image. She had been playing young girls in silents well into her 20s.

by Anonymousreply 43July 9, 2023 3:24 PM

*got it

by Anonymousreply 44July 9, 2023 3:24 PM

Also, Mary wasn’t that bad.

by Anonymousreply 45July 9, 2023 3:34 PM

Goop is leading, as she should be.

To celebrate the fact, here's a fun video of Ms. Fernanda Montenegro serving her most classic line ever, from Brazilian TV: "POBREZA PEGA" ("Poverty is contagious").

(Brazil: the only place in the world where night-time soaps will feature an Oscar-nominated actress.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 9, 2023 6:23 PM

Gwyneth Paltrow was an absolute delight in Shakespeare in Love. Her leading in this poll says more about “Goop” and Harvey Weinstein than it does about her acting.

by Anonymousreply 47July 9, 2023 6:28 PM

Agree r1.

Also: I didn't realize Fernanda Montenegro is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 48July 9, 2023 6:29 PM

Fernanda Montenegro is alive at 93 years old, and still working regularly on Brazilian TV.

Here's a video from this year - the interviewer asks her "What was the importance of 'Central Station' in your trajectory?"; she answers: "I'm not sure. I'm a theater woman, so my life was on stage. I did TV and movies for survival".

Queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 9, 2023 6:43 PM

Here's a video from back then of Fernanda and director Walter Salles watching the nominations.

When she sees herself, she says "Oh, there I am, among all of those divine, marvelous creatures. [italic][bold]Blondes[/bold][/italic]"--

GURLLLLL 🤣 Smell the way she says "[italic][bold]Blondes[/bold][/italic]" ("Louras") at 0:18 ⬇️ 🤣 🤣 🤣

THE SHADE!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 9, 2023 7:26 PM

^Above I am winning the Oscar for Most Fucked Up Formatting

Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 51July 9, 2023 7:30 PM

What does this Brazilian actress have to do with anything?

by Anonymousreply 52July 11, 2023 2:10 AM

OP your methodology is unscientific and does not negate the fact that several least deserving existed in the same decade.

by Anonymousreply 53July 11, 2023 2:12 AM

R12 I agree with you about Paltrow being outstanding in that film.

by Anonymousreply 54July 11, 2023 2:14 AM

[quote] What does this Brazilian actress have to do with anything?

Are you serious? Goop's Oscar should have been hers. That's what.

by Anonymousreply 55July 11, 2023 2:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!