Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hollywood panicking because they realized they just put a lot of big movies next to each other in July

They JUST realized this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 27, 2023 3:32 PM

Let us all pray even if we don't believe in God that this loses Hollywood a gazillion dollars.

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2023 1:07 PM

Oppenheimer is the only one of those movies that I would bother watching.

The rest of them are crap.

by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2023 1:10 PM

I might rent "Barbie" from the library in a couple months. The others hold no interest for me.

by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2023 1:14 PM

The publicity campaign for Barbie is making me sick of it already

by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2023 1:25 PM

I want to see Barbie. It’s total trash.

by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2023 1:28 PM

I hope Barbie flops so Ryan Gosling will be knocked down several pegs.

by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2023 1:44 PM

Oppenheimer is not Barbie??

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2023 1:47 PM

Barbie is one of the dumbest movies Hollywood has come up with, in decades.

They're just doing this so that lots of people can make money off of promotion and marketing for the movie.

I've been seeing it promoted by Progressive Insurance, Summer Baking Challenge on Food Network, and lots of other places.

So the movie is making money from advertisers, before it's even released!!

That's not a movie. That's a marketing ploy.

Fuck Hollywood. Fucking whores.

by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2023 1:48 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2023 1:51 PM

I doubt there's a lot of overlap between the audiences for Oppenheimer and Barbie.

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2023 1:55 PM

R7 it is now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2023 1:57 PM

[quote] Oppenheimer is not Barbie??

Ryan Gosling easily could have played Oppenheimer.

And Cillian Murphy easily could have played Ken.

*mind blown like an atom bomb*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2023 2:02 PM

[quote] And Cillian Murphy easily could have played Ken

Only if you want to make the audience deeply uncomfortable for 90 minutes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2023 2:12 PM

I look at it this way: 4 movies to stream when they come out in a few months. They’ll be comfortably viewed on my sofa, next to partner and pets, with my own popcorn and drinks!

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2023 2:18 PM

I love that, R13!!!

He looks like a non-binary Ken!

Or maybe even F2M trans Ken.

Rofl.

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2023 2:21 PM

Cillian Murphy was gender-indeterminate before it even became cool....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2023 2:24 PM

Here's what's weird.

Of ANY movie being made 2023, where Hollywood could change the original character for the better, this KEN character was the one.

Why did they have to go and make him exactly like the Ken prototype from the 1970's? (Or whenever the hell Ken first appeared)

They should have made 2023 Ken mixed race, or emo, or heteroflexible, or something interesting like that.

But, NO.

They made him boring and blond. Just like Barbie.

Personally, I would love to have seen 2023 Ken looking like a young Cillian Murphy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2023 2:30 PM

R17 because the Barbie movie is third-wave feminist and Ken needs to be a stupid man

That’s literally the tagline

“She is everything. He’s just Ken.”

If they made stupid dolt Ken a person of color, it would be racist.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2023 2:38 PM

Anyhow the problem is not Barbie. Barbie will do fine. The problem will be Indiana Jones 5 and Mission Impossible 7.

MI7 will be the biggest casualty I think. It only has premium formats for one week.

Additionally, they don’t have a buzzy new costar. They got a ton of interest for the last movie because they cast Henry Cavill. For this film, it was supposed to be Nicolas Hoult who is on a career upswing. Unfortunately he had to drop out because The Great got renewed. They replaced him with Esai Morales, whom nobody knows who that is.

Also the film looks identical to the last film. Techno rave in Paris, techno rave in Venice. Street chase through Paris, street chase through Rome. Didn’t somebody point this out in the production meeting?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2023 2:48 PM

Also FWIW, I absolutely would have seen this movie in a theater if Nicolas Hoult was in it. He is so beautiful.

I still don’t know who Esai Morales is.

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2023 2:51 PM

Did they think it was Thanksgiving?

by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2023 2:54 PM

The last Mission Impossible was great because of the explicit gay-sex-about-to-happen in the bathroom scene, plus the obvious sexual chemistry between Tom and Henry Cavill.

by Anonymousreply 22June 27, 2023 3:03 PM

Gosling's face is so ugly, the only time I have thought he was somewhat attractive is when he had the beard covering it up in The Notebook.

by Anonymousreply 23June 27, 2023 3:15 PM

I think Barbie will do surprisingly well. Mission Impossible will be huge. Oppenheimer isn't blockbuster material, regardless of what the marketing wants you to believe. Indiana Jones will be a flop.

by Anonymousreply 24June 27, 2023 3:17 PM

Ryan Gosling looks good here, R23.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 27, 2023 3:18 PM

And his ass is totally edible!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 27, 2023 3:19 PM

Do not underestimate Oppenheimer. It’s beginning to sell out.

This is the biggest IMAX in South Florida, not exactly a hotbed of intellectualism.

Indiana Jones - opens this weekend - no sellouts

Mission Impossible 7 - three weekends out - one sellout

Oppenheimer - four weekends out - three sellouts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 27, 2023 3:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!