Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oh dear

I don’t consider a typo or a word that has been automatically corrected to be “oh dear” worthy. Let’s save the “oh dears” for grammatical mistakes or misspellings. My three cents (inflation).

by Anonymousreply 23June 27, 2023 10:03 PM

Fuck off

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2023 2:49 AM

[quote] My three cents (inflation).

Oh, dear! Let's write in complete sentences, buffoon.

by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2023 2:50 AM

R1, R2, You are why I've been coming to the datalounge for all these years.

OP, I refer you to R1 and advise you to heed R2.

by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2023 2:54 AM

How can you tell something has been automatically corrected and isn't a genuine mistake, though?

by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2023 3:01 AM

If you haven't proofread your post before you send it out, it's still an "oh dear" and your mistake R4.

by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2023 3:14 AM

Thanks for the shame can I have another correction.

by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2023 3:19 AM

[quote] can I have another

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2023 3:21 AM

O. Deering

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2023 3:35 AM

John Deere-ing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2023 3:37 AM

Most of DL seems to despise the "Oh, dear" posters anyway (no, it's not just one poster, contrary to what some people seem to think), so I see no reason to try to appease the haters by decreasing the number of "Oh, dear" posts.

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2023 3:50 AM

[quote]My three cents (inflation).

The biggest error made by OP is thinking he's funny.

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2023 4:16 AM

This thread will end... oh hell, it's already in tears. I don't know how it will end.

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2023 4:27 AM

I think the grammar police (of which I am but a cadet) encourages people to take a bit more care in their posting. Sometimes one even learns something. DL has always had a higher standard of written communication than most other message boards. I think this is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2023 12:27 PM

Personally, I pay no attention to the "dears". It's a trashy site that is probably only visited by 12 people. Who cares if you misspelled or used bad grammar?

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2023 12:32 PM

Truly gripping insights, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2023 12:33 PM

Autocorrect gave us "Jackie on Assistance"

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2023 12:47 PM

Exactly r16 and no one oh-deared that

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2023 12:51 PM

That’s because that was a very funny turn of phrase, R17. Of course, you knew that already.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2023 1:16 PM

Agreed, OP.

If an "Oh, dear!" catches even the most mildly amusing blunder or a doozy of staggering stupidity, carry the fuck on. If not, if the only point is to point out an error which any sane person recognizes as quite possibly a simple typo or a common autocorrect error, it subverts what should be a slightly clever sport into shooting at fish in a barrel with multiple shotguns, a bit unsporty.

My own autocorrect bugbear is the "correction" of [bold]it's[/bold] in place of [bold]its[/bold]. Like most people who remember the least few things from elementary school, I'm well aware of when to use each, with never a question.

Aim a little higher, "Oh, dear!" trolls.

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2023 2:46 PM

[quote]Personally, I pay no attention to the "dears". It's a trashy site that is probably only visited by 12out people. Who cares if you misspelled or used bad grammar?

Tell me you have poor grammar without telling me you have poor grammar.

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2023 8:17 PM

R19 We all wish you'd have also remembered "run-on sentences" from elementary school.

by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2023 9:49 PM

R21, now I remember.

Cheers, cunt!

by Anonymousreply 22June 27, 2023 10:00 PM

OP, if you managed to separate the inadvertent "mistakes" from true errors consistently, since a mistake is not the same as an error, I wouldn't find myself to say

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 23June 27, 2023 10:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!