Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

80s Toupees

Remember playing spot the bad toupees back in the 70s and 80s?

What were men thinking?

Is one of the benefits of selfies that guys don't do this anymore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2023 9:56 PM

Post-cancer Jamie Raskin is wearing a piece, a weave... or both (and I think some black magic marker).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2023 2:02 PM

I think they've just gotten better, OP. More like "hair systems" with industrial strength adhesive and more natural looking hairlines.

Also, men are embracing the shaved head look more than they used to. Back then, if you were shaved bald you'd be referred to as "Kojak". That joke never seemed to get old.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2023 2:26 PM

Ted Danson's hair was hilarious in Cheers - I loved the scene where he took his hair piece off to make Carla feel better.

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2023 2:43 PM

Who was the guy with the toupe who bit hookers?

Marv something?

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2023 2:47 PM

Bewigged and biting Marv Albert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2023 2:53 PM

I was watching THE EXORCIST on TCM the other night and realized how balding men in the 70s (and before) looked so different with their comb-overs and just generally longer hair surrounding their bald spots. Nowadays they'd either completely shave their head or buzz it much shorter.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2023 3:05 PM

Thank you R1 I was wondering why he was wearing a dew rag on the congress floor, I thought he was Muslim.

That's a lot of "COUVRe" at his temples.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2023 9:52 PM

I just can't remember his name - there was a major news correspondent at one of the main networks in the 80s who always had the WORST toupee. He was really affected in his speech. I can see him, but the name totally escapes me.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2023 1:32 AM

Sam Donaldson?

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2023 1:34 AM

YES - Sam Donaldson. The worst toupees in history.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2023 1:36 AM

Back then, there was a kind of unspoken social contract where everyone agreed to ignore a deficiency in each other's appearance or speech or behavior. It was all a part of a big lie that allowed people like Nixon to operate. It still operates for someone like Trump, just look at his ridiculous fake wrap-around comb-over. Looks like Dennis the Menace.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2023 1:58 AM

[QUOTE]YES - Sam Donaldson. The worst toupees in history.

I honestly thought it was a comb over when I was a teen.

What kind of adhesive is used in hair systems? I saw an old Queer Eye for the Straight guy episode when they helped to wean a guy from his toupees. It seemed like it stayed on for over a week between visits to the toupee shop for refreshing. If I don't change band-aids twice a day my skin becomes pruney, white, and wrinkled. Does scalp get damaged?

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2023 2:15 AM

Wig odor!

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2023 1:53 PM

Now, there's a new one, r13. But I'm genuinely curious about to much adhesive on a scalp. It can't be healthy.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2023 7:06 PM

It was actually in the '90s, but my friend at work had the worst toupee ever! It was like blond straw and just cut randomly on the ends. From behind you could actually see the netting (or whatever you would call it) poking through. After a decade he finally got a new one that was really nice and didn't look like a toupee at all.

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2023 9:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!