Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's the Matter with Helen? (starring Debbie Reynolds and Shelley Winters)

Why is this not a DL favorite? It was written by the same author who wrote What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2024 11:48 AM

It's been discussed numerous, numerous times here, OP....but perhaps never in its own thread.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2023 4:54 AM

It would be more of a fave if it didn’t look so goddam cheap. If the sets were going to be that cheap, the lighting should have been darker. Terrible.

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2023 5:02 AM

Geraldine Page almost replaced Shelley when Shelley had a breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2023 5:12 AM

Just watched this after recording it off TCM via YouTube TV. Debbie made sure she got plenty of dance numbers. Shelley is perfectly bat-shit. Dennis Weaver was hot. Agnes is, of course, incredible. It’s amusing, but not great.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2024 11:30 PM

OP, it's a favorite with me! I love this one

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2024 11:31 PM

According to Reynolds, Winters's psychiatrist advised her not to portray "a woman having a nervous breakdown because she was having an actual nervous breakdown!"[5] "But nobody knew that, and so all through the film she drove all of us insane! She became the person in the film."[5] Reynolds witnessed Winters's questionable mental status off of the set. The two had been friends many years before, and Reynolds offered to chauffeur Winters to and from the set. "I was driving one morning on Santa Monica Boulevard and ahead of me was a woman, wearing only a nightgown, trying to flag down a ride,"[5] recalled Reynolds. It was Winters, saying "I thought I was late."[5] According to a Los Angeles Times article published while the film was in production, Winters was so difficult on the set that the studio threatened to replace her with Geraldine Page.[8]

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2024 11:40 PM

One of my faves!

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2024 11:41 PM

Geraldine Page was still relatively thin when WTMWH was made. She wouldn’t have provided much physical contrast with Debbie, the way Shelley did.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2024 11:44 PM

The trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2024 11:44 PM

I finally got to see this movie, but I didn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2024 11:44 PM

I had no idea Shelley was so nutty. Knew she was a little nutty but not that much.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2024 12:44 AM

Spoiler - I can’t remember - Did Shelley finish off Dennis at the end?

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2024 12:59 AM

As far as Grande Dame Guignol films go, "Where in the World is Aunt Alice" is the better film. It starred Geraldine Page and Ruth Buzzie.

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2024 1:00 AM

One of the first movies I saw on my own, I walked down to the theater, I think I was 11 or 12...scared the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2024 1:23 AM

R12. SPOILER

yes

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2024 1:44 AM

More proof that Debbie was an excellent actress.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2024 1:46 AM

R15 is lying,, Dennis does NOT get murdered - by Shelley or anybody -at the end.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2024 8:38 AM

Turns into a Debbie Reynolds musical at one point.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2024 8:57 AM

[quote]As far as Grande Dame Guignol films go, "Where in the World is Aunt Alice" is the better film. It starred Geraldine Page and Ruth Buzzie.

That's "Whatever Happened to Aunt Alice?" with Geraldine Page and Ruth Gordon

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2024 10:00 AM

R17. Oops. I'm sorry....I read that as Debbie and not Dennis. I'm old and my glasses were foggy. Apologies.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2024 11:29 AM

Geraldine Page may have been thinner but her hammy acting style probably would have seemed a lot like Shelly Winters having a nervous breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2024 11:32 AM

I'd rather watch Shelley Winters having a nervous breakdown than Geraldine Page's voice.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2024 11:48 AM

*than listen to Geraldine Page's voice.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2024 11:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!