Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nicola Pagett - "one of the finest actresses in the world"

Remembering actress Nicola Pagett, who was born in Cairo 78 years ago today. Most people will remember her as Elizabeth Bellamy in the ITV / PBS TV series 'Upstairs, Downstairs' (1971-77), in which she starred in 13 episodes over the first two seasons, which attracted 11 million viewers in the USA. She then went on to costar in the 1973 television movie 'Frankenstein: The True Story' and starred as the title character in the BBC / PBS 10 hour adaptation of Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina" in 1977. By the end of that decade, critics called her 'one of the finest actresses in the world'.

She married after wrapping 'Anna Karenina' to a fellow actor and playwright, had a daughter in 1980, and continued with television series, movies, and the London stage. Everything came to a screeching halt for her in 1995 - professionally and personally.

She was on stage at the National Theater performing in the play 'What the Butler Saw', when she had what she called ' a complete mental breakdown'. After months of erratic behavior reported by her colleagues and friends, Pagett was diagnosed with acute manic depression, which was later classified as a bipolar disorder. Her treatment was lithium. In 1996-97, she left her husband, accusing him of 'incest' and feeding their daughter heroin. She became obsessed with Prime Minister Tony Blair's press secretary, Alastair Campbell, writing him letters declaring her love and sending him a check for 6 billion pounds. She was hospitalized three times in a closed psychiatric unit. She detailed her experience and battles with bipolar depression in her memoir "Diamonds Behind My Eyes" in 1998, in which she declared herself 'fully recovered' - but she also acknowledged she would never be cast again in any project by any producer, so she 'retired' from acting and lived a light out of the spotlights.

In mid-February 2021, her daughter Eve said her mother was diagnosed with brain cancer. Pagett died less than three weeks later, at the age of 75 on March 3, 2021.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2023 12:59 PM

No one recalls Pagett ? She was stunningly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2023 3:25 AM

OP: I do! I loved her in "Upstairs, Downstairs" and "Anna Karenina." I didn't know until reading your post that she had so much trouble later in life, which I was sorry to learn about. She was indeed beautiful and a passionate actress. I noticed even as a gayling watching "Upstairs, Downstairs" during its initial run in the US that she could turn 180 degrees in a beat as Elizabeth. In the States, we didn't see her in the black and white episodes of Series 1 until many years later on DVDs, on which it was possible to sell black and white TV programs from the 1970s that absolutely would not be shown on US TV in the 1970s. I have the Britcom "Ain't Misbehaving" that starred Ms. Pagett, which I've not seen yet, so I'm going to bump it up on my watchlist!

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2023 4:31 AM

I watched U/D, Anna Karnina and Frankenstein: The True Story two summers ago - all on DVD. What a magnificent actress. And such a stunning beauty - looked very much like Vivien Leigh.

A few years ago, after watching her DVDs , I tried to find her book at my library, and they did a search across America to see if any library owned a copy which could lend it to me. Not one American library owned a copy. Now it's long OOP and very pricey on Amazon, eBay, etc. Her book would make an incredible movie.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2023 12:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!