Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Starship had bigger hits than Jefferson Starship which had bigger hits than Jefferson Airplane

In the US at least, according to Wikipedia.

Starship had 4 top 10 hits, including 3 #1 hits.

Jefferson Starship had 2 top 10 hits, with its highest being #3 ("Miracles").

Jefferson Airplane also had 2 top 10 hits, but its highest was #5 ("Somebody to Love").

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2023 10:23 PM

Marty Balin or bust.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2023 12:41 PM

Then they should have changed their name to Stars.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2023 12:43 PM

And so, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2023 12:50 PM

Just more proof that Americans have no taste, r3

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2023 12:55 PM

Pop music sucks in most countries.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2023 12:56 PM

STARSHIP = STARSHIT.

Sorry, they like Heart in the mid 80's, sold out to have their music Diane Warren-ed. Slick (not Grace) sound, but not as relevant. It took Paul Kantner long enough to figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2023 3:18 PM

The theory of devolution, complete with through lines.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2023 4:36 PM

R7 I'd call it entropy.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2023 4:41 PM

[quote] Just more proof that Americans have no taste,

… said the world that brought you ABBA and 99 luftbalons, oh and that tackyfest, Eurovision

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2023 4:45 PM

I love Marty Balins voice. Count on me, With your Love, miracles, are my favorites. I do like some of their JA, songs, too. I didn't like Jane and other mid 80's songs, though.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2023 5:00 PM

Why does any discussion of artistic schlock always circle back to ABBA (4 US Top 10 including #1 Dancing Queen) Was the hologram show that bad?

Now Starship. Ugh. It's Not Over Til It's Over? Set the fucking Night To Music? No wonder Grace slunk away in shame!

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2023 5:03 PM

"We Built This City" is enough reason to tear the city down.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2023 5:19 PM

Yet it’s only the Jefferson Airplane songs that truly left a mark.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2023 5:35 PM

I disagree, R13. The beauty of Jefferson Starship's ballads make me so nostalgic for my Gen-X childhood that I sometimes tear up when I hear them. Balin was a truly great vocalist who is criminally underrated.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2023 5:48 PM

You said it beautifully R14. That's exactly how I feel.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2023 5:54 PM

There’s only one song that really matters

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2023 6:02 PM

JA and JS were like two different bands. JS was more commercial, lounge-y sounding, but Marty Balin did bring something to the band with his vocals. In another DL thread, someone pointed out how Grace Slick's "background vocals" on "Miracles" overpowered the song. When I listened to it again, it was true and hilarious.

The comparison to Heart is a good one. Heart also made a major change. But I think Jefferson Starship was better than Heart v.2.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2023 6:09 PM

Jefferson Starship's Earth is a great album, though barely any of the songs were written by the band. Grace's Love Too Good is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2023 7:02 PM

Miracles by Jefferson Starship is as perfect a pop song as they come.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2023 8:03 PM

R13 You say "Airplane", do you are asserting that "We Built this City" had more of an impact than "White Rabbit", or "Somebody to Love"...??

by Anonymousreply 20June 10, 2023 12:28 AM

🐇

by Anonymousreply 21June 10, 2023 1:47 AM

R10

I actually love Jane - the opening is so powerful! It’s my favorite JA song by far but I really love Marty Balin’s voice, too. Love his swoony 70s songs.

by Anonymousreply 22June 10, 2023 2:09 AM

R17

“Pretty please - with sugar on it!”

by Anonymousreply 23June 10, 2023 2:10 AM

R10

oof. I meant JS.

by Anonymousreply 24June 10, 2023 2:12 AM

“Hearts” from Marty Balin’s solo album was a great song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 15, 2023 10:03 PM

R25 Yes it was.

by Anonymousreply 26June 16, 2023 6:01 AM

Marty Balin had a good voice and I’m sure he cursed the day Grace Slick joined the Airplane. In interviews he always came across as someone who was dissatisfied with anything and everything and bitter that he wasn’t the star. Uncharacteristically, Grace took the high road and never responded to his put downs.

by Anonymousreply 27June 16, 2023 1:43 PM

I have the single Jane on my old i-tunes.

by Anonymousreply 28June 16, 2023 2:40 PM

Marty created Airplane. But he was bulldozed by Grace and Paul. Grace was no saint, and JA went to shit when Marty left. Then he consented to fully join Jefferson Starship and they all got richer, but Grace was an unhappy alcoholic. She could still get headlines, just not flattering ones.

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2023 10:07 PM

I don't blame Grace for the Starship stuff. She was in her forties and her shelf life in pop music should've already expired, but she was lucky that she could still score hits at her age. She knew it was almost over for her and she took the $$$ and ran. She's lived a very comfortable retirement in Malibu for decades now. Compare that to Balin and Kanter, who were still dragging their old asses on stage because they need the $$$ for the rest of their lives. I'd much rather have Grace's life.

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2023 10:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!