Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“The Apartment “

Why don’t they make movies like this anymore? Elegant but cutting deep. Beautifully constructed. About real issues and real people instead of some shit that never happened in fantasy gaga land? Where every bit player is a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2023 8:15 PM

[quote] Why don’t they make movies like this anymore

Because ...

a) It had no huge fireball explosions

b) Jack Lemon did no spectacular stunts

c) No naked tits from Shirley

d) Fred MacMurray's character wasn't black calling people motherfucker

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2023 6:16 PM

And it’s not a romantic comedy. It’s a bit sad actually. It’s clear that they are mismatched and won’t stay together.

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2023 6:17 PM

it's a nightmare to get financing unless you check every box that the marketing suits are asking for

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2023 6:22 PM

And, of course, abide to the new Hollywood casting rules. Let’s face it, movies like this or Midnight Cowboy, will never be made again.

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2023 7:54 PM

Wonderful movie. Lots of deep dark stuff disguised with charm and humor, and you can't help but like it. Great, great ending too.

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2023 8:03 PM

Exactly the sort of movie I love, OP. Today’s movies, the majority of them at least, do not interest me. They give me sensory overload.

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2023 8:06 PM

I saw it and didn't like or get it at all....but I was quite young and watching it at the recommendation of Cameron Crowe ( I was a fan). He cites it as a favorite... and the tonal inspiration for a lot of his films- a sort of aching, bittersweet feeling. I need to watch it again and pay closer attention.

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2023 8:12 PM

The most depressing part is that the rent for an apartment in the West 50s, two blocks from Central Park, was $85 per month in the late 50ies.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2023 8:14 PM

The sets by Alexander Trauner are spectacular!

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2023 8:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!