Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lange & Streep

Jess symbolizes the id, and Mer symbolizes the superego. I’m the ego buffeted about by and between the two. And I love it. 🥹

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 4, 2023 6:07 PM

I wonder if Lange knew she'd not win Lead

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2023 4:56 PM

R1 She must’ve known, but it still stung, of course.

More importantly, I need this two bitches to finally work together, goddammit. My two queens. 🥹

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2023 5:01 PM

r1, she says she did know, and it was sad for her. But she also said she thought of the the BSA Oscar as more of a 2nd place award for "Frances" than as actually being for "Tootsie."

It's amazing to think that there was a performance better than hers in "Frances" that year--almost any other year she would have won for that great performance (still the highlight of her career).

Streep has said she has always felt intimidated by Lange's beauty since the 1970s. She auditioned for the part of Dwan in "King Kong" and really wanted it (for whatever reason), and felt she lost out to Lange because she just wasn't beautiful enough.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2023 5:06 PM

That giant Oscar behind them looks very Machinenmensch.

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2023 5:09 PM

R3 Streep has often expressed her admiration for Lange. Lange has also cited Streep for “great work,” but has never been as effusive. (She’s never been the gushing type.)

Something I learned recently, which thrilled me, is that Streep led the standing ovation Lange received on the opening night of “Long Day’s Journey Into Night” in London in 2000.

[quote] "As Jessica emerged from the wings, Meryl was the first one to jump from her seat, shouting 'Bravo!, and clapping," recalls film scholar Lucy Bolton, who was also in the audience that night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2023 5:13 PM

Those 80s hairstyles were god-awful.

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2023 5:14 PM

From Joan Crawford to Edie Bouvier, Lange can play anything and she is one of those few actors whose projects I'll watch just because she's in it.

The only thing that ever changes in a Streep performance is the accent - the tick tick tick acting is always the same.

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2023 5:29 PM

You can see Jessica's disappointment when she won Supporting Actress. It is written all over her face that this was now 100% confirmed that she lost Best Actress...

(and she should not have won for Supporting Actress in that role- or probably even been nominated-but in this one case, I love it as a 2nd place Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2023 5:30 PM

They had such different backgrounds. Lange grew up as a poor army brat and lived all over, finally settling with her family in northern Minnesota; Streep grew up the daughter of a well-to-do phamaceutical executive in suburban New Jersey. Streep went to Vassar and then Yale Drama School; Lange dropped out of the University of Minnesota and had to take acting classes while supporting herself through a bohemian lifestyle.

I'm surprised they've never worked together, given their admiration for each other (they are apparently very friendly when they get together, and as is said above have enthused over each other's performances, although Streep has been the more generous--Lange, who suffers from depression, has been more guarded in her praise but has praised Streep nonetheless).

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2023 5:32 PM

R7 Don’t you fucking dare! They’re both brilliant. And Streep does a lot more than change her accent. She’s an incredible technician and provides piercing insight into interior lives of so many characters.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2023 5:36 PM

r3...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2023 5:38 PM

This will inevitably get posted, so let me do the honors. The following moment is at the 4-minute mark:

[quote] "Every job I've ever taken, about three weeks before I begin, I call up my agent and say, 'I don't think I can do this. I don't think I'm right for it. They should call up Jessica Lange.' "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2023 5:46 PM

I see the Lange Loon had her internet privileges restored at the sanitarium

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2023 8:14 PM

R13 I hadn’t noticed. It hasn’t bashed Lange or gone on a tirade about her fans yet. The meds must be potent.

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2023 8:20 PM

R6- I could not agree more.

Jessica Lange was absolutely beautiful in the movie How To Beat The High Cost Of Living (1980) with her long straight her instead of that photo with Streep and their HORRIBLE PERMED hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 3, 2023 8:23 PM

Sorry for the typo- Hair not her.

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2023 8:31 PM

[quote]I need this two bitches to finally work together

I wonder how well their acting styles will mesh. Lange's style is improvisational, instinctual; reacting to the situation rather than over-thinking the scene. Dustin Hoffman works in a similar fashion and we all know how well he and Meryl got along when they did Kramer vs Kramer. I don't think Meryl has ever discussed her process, but she strikes me as someone who takes a more intellectual approach than instinctual.

Sarah Paulson's description of Jessica's acting process ("like a cat on a wire") at 0:35 reminds me of how people used to describe Kim Stanley's approach, which is no surprise there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2023 1:33 AM

R17 IS THE LANGE LOON!!!!!!!!!!!

And i adore her. I am the Lange Loon's little court jester.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2023 1:36 AM

Help me out DL, is the Lang Loon a bitter anti-Lang troll or a super fangurl?

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2023 1:53 AM

The original Lange Loon is and will always be a crazy fan with an addiction to spamming threads with utter nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2023 1:57 AM

R18 You’re so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2023 2:22 AM

R17 some of Meryl's colleagues have spoken about their Directors having them shoot scenes multiple times and she never gives the same performance twice as she's completely the character and responding in that moment.

Ewan "Big Cock" McGreggor effused about how the director of August: Osage County had them shoot that dinner scene 20 times and every time she played it differently and so many get things got left on the chopping room floor.

Others have commented she is very generous when acting with them and responds to their performance, not just merely what she had (click, click) prepared beforehand.

I wouldn't say Dustin works in a similar way. He thought he knew better than he and was extremely condescending. He slapped her face right before a big scene as he thought it would help her feel the right emotion. He goaded her about her dead boyfriend. He was furious the director let her writer her own courtroom. In short he thought he was King and didn't like that someone could go toe to toe with him.

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2023 9:40 AM

Lange's dress wasn't quite the worst of 80s fashion, but it wasn't great. Streep was a few months pregnant so probably threw on what fitted

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2023 11:10 AM

Look at the awful hair on Keaton and Sarandon the year before! Who is the presenter who licks Hepburn's arse at the end?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2023 11:14 AM

Oh it's Voight. What a toad

by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2023 11:14 AM

No, it’s his daughter Angelina, doing an impression of her dad. Right down to the hair and make up.

by Anonymousreply 26June 4, 2023 12:29 PM

Sorry I only saw his name when I posted the video here. Sarandon looked like Bea Smith from Prisoner Cell Block H in that clip

by Anonymousreply 27June 4, 2023 12:35 PM

Sarandon's date was her beau, Richard Gere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 4, 2023 12:44 PM

R28-She was his BEARD 🧔‍♀️

by Anonymousreply 29June 4, 2023 12:52 PM

Sarandon has always struck me as a big closeted lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 30June 4, 2023 3:05 PM

A vision in lurex, r28!

by Anonymousreply 31June 4, 2023 3:17 PM

R30, she described sexual orientation as "open."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 4, 2023 6:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!