Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TikTok is a terrible website and I hate it

Content aside, the actual layout is frustrating as fuck to use. The scroll bar at the side is white and blends in with the rest of the page, so it's really hard to scroll down when reading comments, and if you don't click on the correct part of white, the video changes and the page reloads. YouTube is way better and easier to use.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2023 1:33 PM

Isn't tiktok shutting down?

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2023 2:40 AM

No offense, but use the app, grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2023 2:42 AM

R2 Does the app look better than the desktop version, which a darker scroll bar?

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2023 2:48 AM

The app doesn't have a scroll bar. You just use your thumb to push up to the next video.

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2023 2:57 AM

It also collects information for the Chinese government so there’s that.

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2023 8:03 AM

R5 And yet sooooooooo many stupid Americans use it.

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2023 8:55 AM

Def use the app. I hate the website layout too. It also started sending me vids in Arabic and Thai. Which made no sense.

No issues with that or the layout on the app.

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2023 8:59 AM

I had a major learning curve with the app interface but it's intuitive to me now. I only downloaded it as a challenge to figure out how to navigate a new interface.

The content frustrates me. Much of it is the most inane of anything I have ever seen on the Internet. Much of it is young people with condescending know-it-all attitudes lecturing about societal issues with the confidence of someone with a Ph.D. who has been researching a topic for 40 years—and sometimes they make good points, which I kind of hate them for. And then some of the people who post are insightful and interesting and I wouldn't see that type of info anywhere else.

I have watched a lot of YouTube especially since the pandemic but the panhandling there has become as common and as frustrating as on any city street. I'll watch something interesting about some scientific or religious/mythology topic and then without skipping a beat, it's a five-minute plea to give me money via CashApp or Patreon. It would put any PBS pledge drive to shame. It's making me avoid YouTube more and more.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2023 9:22 AM

Social media in general just sucks now. It got taken over by advertisers who are pushing influencers to sell crap. Even YouTubers who make interesting content are pressured by YouTube to include advertising in other to be able to post content. Ever since Facebook, social media has been streamlined and made sterile and repetitive. It's really dull. I do miss old sites like Myspace, Livejournal, Xanga, Tumblr, etc where it's text based and HTML format where you can actually create a unique layout and space that reflects your personality

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2023 1:21 PM

Old websites, the ads were banners on the top or side of the page. Easy to ignore. Now the ads are in your face everywhere and YouTubers, streamers, models and celebs on social media incorporate ads into their content. Everything is so commercialized and everyone commodified now and it's disgusting. Everyone online is a brand.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2023 1:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!