Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are 🍇 grapes suddenly unavailable in US stores?

Are 🍇 a seasonal item?

by Anonymousreply 20June 3, 2023 12:32 AM

Everybody's making their own wine.

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2023 10:37 PM

MAGA= Permanent shithole status

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2023 10:39 PM

I’ve noticed that there are no red grapes but plenty of green grape for the past couple of weeks near me.

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2023 10:40 PM

Nothing in the stores near me. Cherries are ten dollars per pound. Why?

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2023 10:44 PM

And why are they $9 a pound?

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2023 10:45 PM

Why? 3 pounds of grapes cost thirty USD. Why?

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2023 10:49 PM

3 pounds of cherries cost thirty USD. Grapes are unavailable. Why?

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2023 10:50 PM

Do you live in Bumfucke, op?

Because my grocery store has plenty of grapes.

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2023 10:52 PM

According to the Safeway app, my local store (Portland, Or) has grapes in stock at $2.99/lb.

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2023 10:55 PM

I haven't seen grapes in two weeks after the cotton candy grapes sold out.

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2023 10:56 PM

Great Caesar’s ghotst!

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2023 10:57 PM

Ghost!!

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2023 10:58 PM

[quote]California is in a second year of drought and for many North Bay grape growers, the hot, dry conditions mean lost crops. In 2020 some growers lost 20% or more of their crops because of dry conditions, fires, or smoke tainting the flavor of their grapes.

[quote]Sep 30, 2021

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2023 11:01 PM

U.S. market witnesses record breaking prices for Chilean grapes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2023 11:17 PM

We don't grow 🍇 in the US? The last bunch of grapes I purchased were a product of Peru. delicious red grapes and at 7 dollars, a 40% price increase.

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2023 11:20 PM

This is outrageous behavior ! Outrageous !

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2023 11:23 PM

The California grape industry is in a pickle.

[quote]It would be an understatement to say that 2022 was a challenging season for California table grape exports. “Inflation reared its head, but what played a bigger role is that the dollar went incredibly high, which made our product super expensive abroad,” says Nick Dulcich with Pretty Lady Vineyards. Countries like Indonesia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia, and the Philippines used to be big supporters of California grapes, but they reduced their volumes. “The high dollar really affected our exports in a negative way,” commented Dulcich.

[quote]That’s not all. China’s table grape production has been increasing and their excess volume hits all Pacific Rim markets for a fraction of the price due to free trade agreements. “Our competitor has a free trade agreement with every Asian country,” said Dulcich. “This brings California in at a significant disadvantage in an already shrinking market.” Another importer of California grapes, South Korea, now grows Shine Muscat grapes themselves and they have enough supplies until a few months after their season has ended.

[quote]“In addition, shipping costs have risen greatly. I used to pay $4 per box, which turned into $6/box last season,” Dulcich shared. Another disadvantage for California growers is the cost of labor. “We are dealing with a minimum wage that’s north of $15 and closer to $20 in some regions of the state.” If that’s not enough, table grape production has significantly increased around the globe. “China, Spain Brazil, Peru, Australia, Namibia, South Africa, Egypt all grow table grapes, and the list goes on and on and on.” As a result of all of this, California’s competitive advantage has diminished, and exports have dried up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2023 11:35 PM

Thanks. Not eating Chinese produce willingly.

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2023 11:37 PM

Exotic Japanese red grapes that are literally, hand grown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2023 11:42 PM

Who needs grapes when watermelon and mangoes are in season?

by Anonymousreply 20June 3, 2023 12:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!