Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mr. Bojangles is such an odd song

I sort of always thought of it as a great American classic - but is it?

I sort of thought it came from the 1930s and was redone over the years by endless different people - but it's not, it's a song from the 60s. The original was written and sung by Jerry Jeff Walker. I mean who the fuck has ever heard of Jerry Jeff Walker? His version doesn't quite hit the mark. I like the first line very much - sounds sort of nostalgic and wistful and sweet, but it's downhill from there.

Anyone else have knowledge and/or an opinion?

Actually I just discovered this live version and it's nicer than the original recording. Drags a bit though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2023 9:52 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2023 6:03 PM

Isn’t mr Bojangles some minstrel show shit?

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2023 6:07 PM

"I mean who the fuck has ever heard of Jerry Jeff Walker?"

He is not as obscure as you think he is.

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2023 7:10 PM

[quote]I like the first line very much - sounds sort of nostalgic and wistful and sweet, but it's downhill from there.

Your post is pointless since you don't bother to mention why you don't like the rest of the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2023 7:23 PM

I find it depressing.

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2023 7:26 PM

[quote]Your post is pointless since you don't bother to mention why you don't like the rest of the lyrics.

I said [bold]the song [/bold]is downhill from there - I didn't realise a literary critique was expected for my post to "have a point".

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2023 7:32 PM

"Walker said he was inspired to write the song after an encounter with a street performer in a New Orleans jail. While in jail for public intoxication in 1965, he met a homeless man who called himself "Mr. Bojangles" to conceal his true identity from the police. Mr. Bojangles had been arrested as part of a police sweep of indigent people that was carried out following a high-profile murder. The two men and others in the cell chatted about all manner of things, but when Mr. Bojangles told a story about his dog, the mood in the room turned heavy. Someone else in the cell asked for something to lighten the mood, and Mr. Bojangles obliged with a tap dance. The homeless "Mr. Bojangles", who was white, had taken his pseudonym from Bill "Bojangles" Robinson , a black entertainer."

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2023 7:37 PM

My favorite version by far

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2023 7:38 PM

"The song is downhill from there" is a pointless statement without some examples of what you don't like about it. In my opinion, the song tells a compelling story about an interesting character, and I very much like all of the song -- including all of the lyrics .

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2023 7:42 PM

Sorry if I haven't been clear. I like the opening of the song - but very quickly it loses me. I don't care a lot about the lyrics either way.

That's enough from me. It's just a pop song. Nothing to get too heavy and intense about. Unless you're heavy and intense, of course.

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2023 7:47 PM

Okay, thanks for explaining, sort of. I'll just repeat that I really like the whole song. I think the lyrics tell a compelling story about a very colorful, interesting character, and the music is excellent and fits the lyrics perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2023 8:47 PM

I liked Jerry Jeff's cover of Ray Wiley Hubbard's "Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2023 9:12 PM

I’ve never heard of this guy

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2023 9:13 PM

That's my mom's favorite song. She likes things that are sickeningly sweet, twee and overly sentimental.

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2023 9:15 PM

You want an opinion, OP?

You're a confused, ignorant lout who holds it against a songwriter because YOU haven't heard of him, and you also waste our time by blabbing about WHICH of this poor man's versions you can tolerate.

Just shut the fuck up, you waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2023 9:19 PM

I've never heard of this song or the guy who wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2023 9:21 PM

It sounds nothing whatsoever like a 30s song.

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2023 9:23 PM

Sammy Davis Jr did the definitive version.

The song is about a vaudeville artist who had his moment in the sun in the 30s or 40s.

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2023 9:30 PM

[quote]You want an opinion, OP?

Not yours, you freak from the underworld.

I'd suggest therapy, but what you need is a priest.

Don't EVER address me on this forum again.

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2023 9:35 PM

Why the 30s? The original, nor the popular covers, sounds anything like a song from the 30s.

I’d give you a dime to blow off, but brother I can’t spare one.

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2023 9:47 PM

It could lead to dancing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2023 9:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!