Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How did "I Just Called to Say I Love You" win the Oscar for Best Original Song from a Motion Picture?

I heard this piece of shit in full while at the doctor's office this week, and it had been ages since I'd been tortured by it. It sounds even worse than it did in its heyday. Cheap Casio music, banal lyrics that haven't got shit to do with the plot of the movie, and Stevie phoning it in (no pun intended) vocally. This thing makes "Havin' My Baby" sound like a Sex Pistols song.

Here are the other nominees that year:

Footloose (from Footloose)

Let's Hear it for the Boy (also from Footloose)

Against All Odds (from Against All Odds)

Ghostbusters (from Ghostbusters)

It can't be because it was more popular than the other four songs. This is a rare year in which all five nominees went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and were gigantic hits.

It can't be because it was from a more popular film. Of the four films, Ghostbusters and Footloose were blockbusters. The Woman in Red was a minor hit and Against All Odds was a high profile flop.

Ghostbusters was a horrible song, but it tied into the movie well and was super popular. The other three songs were excellent pieces of pop music and connected well to their films.

Why this POS? Why?

by Anonymousreply 88June 4, 2023 7:53 PM

Academy loves treacly

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2023 5:30 PM

I fucking HATED this song back in the day...and still do to this very day

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2023 5:33 PM

Years later it was shown the song shouldn't have even been eligible.

Wonder was in a plagarism lawsuit and showed he had written the song years before not for the film.

He won the lawsuit but technically should have lost the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2023 5:35 PM

R3 How funny — Ghostbusters was also the subject of a plagiarism lawsuit filed by Huey Lewis because it sounded too much like “I Want A New Drug.” I think he won a settlement over it.

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2023 5:42 PM

This has always seemed one of the lamest categories in the Oscars. Except for musicals, film-goers do not go to films to hear a theme song that is gratuitous and rarely germane to the plot If the film is a big hit and the song is catchy, there's a slight chance that the song will escape the confines of the film and make it onto a pop chart. That only seems to happen about every 15 years or so now. In the 60s and 70s, it was more of a thing. "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head", (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid), "To Sir with Love", "Windmills of my mind" and the like. I think the low was "It's hard out here for a pimp" which won about 15 years ago. Everyone hooted and hollered over how wonderful it was and gave such good representation for black culture. It's never been heard or seen since. And I mean, never....LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2023 6:07 PM

Kate Bush should have been nominated for “This Woman’s Work” from 1988’s She’s Having A Baby.

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2023 6:09 PM

R6, thanks for this information. It is very helpful.

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2023 6:29 PM

All the nominated songs that year were annoying.

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2023 7:40 PM

The year Aimee Mann's "Save Me" lost to some fetid Phil Collins crap was proof for me that either Oscar voters are all 90 years old or that the award is bought and paid for by movie producers.

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2023 7:41 PM

Stevie Wonder was the most acclaimed of the nominees. It was an opportunity to give an Academy Award to a legendary artist.

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2023 7:46 PM

Yeah, but R10, he was not legendary in the film business. He was legendary in the music business and none of it until that time had anything to do with film music. And he'd won several Grammys by then, including three for Album of the Year in the space of four years.

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2023 7:59 PM

R9 The ones who were truly pissed off when Phil Collins won that year were Trey Parker and Matt Stone (nominated for "Blame Canada" from "South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut). They mocked his Oscar triumph at the Season 4 episode "Timmy 2000".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2023 8:03 PM

If Phil Collins had won in 1984, then perhaps Aimee Mann or Trey & Matt might have won in 99.

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2023 8:06 PM

I thought “Take A Look At Me Now” was the best of the nominees, and I don’t like Phil Collins that much. As far as treacly ballads go, at least it had some emotion and soared compared to Stevie’s silly calypso. I do like most of Stevie’s songs, but then again he didn’t actually write “I just Called To Say I Love You” so it doesn’t count as part of his catalog.

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2023 8:07 PM

I thought It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp was a fantastic win. It was a song written for that film, for those characters and worked wonderfully within the film. And that's really what the first consideration ought to be for this particular award (though it rarely is). It doesn't matter if the song becomes a classic. What matters is how it serves the film.

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2023 8:08 PM

I would have given it to Footloose that year. But there were so many other great songs that missed the nomination in favor of that Stevie Wonder crap. Man, anything from Streets of Fire would have been better. And I know they were able to get around nominating any of Prince's songs from Purple Rain by giving him the soon to be defunct "Best Song Score" Oscar (which never made any sense to me), but the title song should have been in the Best Original Song category for sure.

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2023 8:11 PM

[quote]do like most of Stevie’s songs, but then again he didn’t actually write “I just Called To Say I Love You” so it doesn’t count as part of his catalog.

He wrote it and produced it.

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2023 8:18 PM

R17 His collaborators Lee Garrett and Lloyd Chiate claim to have written the song, although Stevie made some changes to it, so the percentage of authorship is up for debate. His legal team steamrollered Garrett and Chiate, and they got zero songwriting credit.

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2023 8:30 PM

^^ Btw, the song sucks, which is proof enough to me that Stevie didn’t write it.

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2023 8:31 PM

This is why it won, boy. Because I sang it baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2023 8:53 PM

never forget

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2023 9:09 PM

I would have picked "Against All Odds."

IIRC, "I Just Called ..." was used in an AT&T commercial - that's how commercial that song was.

And yes, "Ghostbusters" was considered a copyright infringement of "I Want a New Drug."

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2023 9:33 PM

I remember IJCTSILY was a gigantic hit, and it crossed over to multiple radio formats.

by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2023 9:35 PM

its a fun song. But its the only time ever where all 5 songs were massive legitimate radio pop hits. So the race was a free for all. In a case like that people are voting for their favorite songs. Cant remember when I just called hit #1 but if it was still getting airplay during voting that mightve made a difference.

Literally any of the 5 could have won without an upset. but in retrospect, this is the only one of the 5 that wasn't connected to the use in the movie. against all odds runs throughout the film as part of the score. ghostbusters was a phenomenon that is goofy but reflects the movie and was part of its pop culture impact.

The two songs from Footloose are also absolute bangers. I prefer let's hear it for the boy which mightve suffered in voting because its close to the previous winner WHAT A FEELING, FOOTLOOSE is more classic rock vibe, HEAR is 80s bubblegum synth.

Still a murderers row of nominees. wow.

by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2023 9:37 PM

Forgot to say that Stevie Wonder was and is considered a musical genius, despite his lack of longevity.

"I Just Called ..." came out a while after SW's golden period and I think it was almost like a lifetime achievement award.

by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2023 9:37 PM

Because it received the most votes out of all the nominees.

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2023 9:40 PM

R21 Oof. She should have stuck to dancing another singer’s vocals. And what’s up with the coffin-shaped backdrop with fog coming out and the effete guy in the puffy shirt who joins her? Is he a vampire?

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2023 9:43 PM

We've had many threads in the past analyzing Ann's performance.

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2023 9:45 PM

Against all odds is the best song

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2023 9:45 PM

R5, you're right about Hard Out Here..." -- non-entities singing a random song. I'll never forgive the Academy voters for rewarding this instead of Dolly's magnificent "Tavelin' Thru" which not only echoed the themes of the film ("Transamerica") but was a warm and heartfelt tribute to all who struggle on the margins. Fuck them.

Also? Fuck Queen L who was overjoyed by this win (she was the presenter), letting her intersectionality trump her songwriter's credentials. Have disliked her ever since.

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2023 9:48 PM

I'm surprised Stevie Wonder is only 73.

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2023 10:02 PM

R16 - the previous year they allowed 2 songs from Yentl to be nominated as Best Song and the score nominated for Best Song Score. I would have rather have "When Doves Cry" chosen as Best Song.

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2023 10:05 PM

Also why not nominate Footloose as Best Song Score?

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2023 10:10 PM

Rubbish tune, op. But I love the soundtrack otherwise

by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2023 10:47 PM

Because the world could not get enough of Kelly LeBrock!

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2023 10:52 PM

It was massive a the time.

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2023 10:53 PM

Huey Lewis sued ray parker jr. because he thought Parker ripped off “I want a new drug” in ghostbusters”. There was a settlement but Lewis apparently forgot he wasn’t supposed to talk about the case/settlement and did on an episode of “behind the music” and Parker sued him and Lewis had to pay back the settlement.

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2023 10:58 PM

The producer of the Oscars told Phil collins to get over not being able to sing his song and to add insult called him Paul. The guy looked like an idiot because in the coming months and year collins” career exploded and he was one of the biggest stars of 1985.

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2023 11:03 PM

The ol' greased-palm payola, with a side of the threat of broken legs.

So what's it to ya'?

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2023 11:07 PM

r16 Stevie NICKS should have been nominated for her song "Sorcerer" on the 1984 Streets Of Fire soundtrack!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2023 11:13 PM

R40 That song’s too good for an Academy award.

by Anonymousreply 41June 3, 2023 12:37 AM

[quote]We've had many threads in the past analyzing Ann's performance.

*Analyzing* is such a polite word, r28.

by Anonymousreply 42June 3, 2023 12:52 AM

I can’t find the past threads about Reinking, but there’s a Rolling Stone article about the fiasco. Phil Collins was pretty spicy about it, as expected, but he also threw shade at Stevie Wonder:

[quote]“He is one of my heroes, but I have serious doubts about whether or not that song was actually written for the film,” (Collins) said, before offering an explanation for why Wonder won that he probably regrets: “He’s blind, black, lives in L.A. and does a lot for human rights.”

OMG, Phil!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 3, 2023 1:03 AM

[quote]“It was awful,” (Collins) said of Reinking’s performance. “But I’m glad I didn’t sing the song now, after what they did to Ray Parker.”

That comment sparked my curiosity, and wow — Phil was right. Ray’s Ghostbusters segment looks like it was produced and directed by Corky St. Clair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 3, 2023 2:05 AM

It topped the adult contemporary chart, formerly known as easy listening. I suspect that genre is not your bag.

by Anonymousreply 45June 3, 2023 2:39 AM

I couldn't have cared less who won the Oscar. I doubt I watched. I know I didn't see any of those movies. I liked the two songs from Footloose, though not enough to have bought the soundtrack album. Everything by Phil Collins sucks, if you're me. The Ghostbusters song annoyed me, it was played so much.

But I love "I Just Called to Say I Love You," partly because of who it reminds me of, someone who's no longer with us. I can almost touch him, feel him, smell him when I listen to this song. It's one of the few memories I have of him. I will never not love this song.

"Overjoyed" plays automatically after this song, at least on my laptop. Another reminder, another friend who's no longer with me. So much joy and so much sadness in 1984-86. These songs are all I have left of these two men. And my memories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 3, 2023 2:48 AM

Stevie had a wonderful voice, though. Back in the day, he could have sung your grocery list and it would have become a hit song.

by Anonymousreply 47June 3, 2023 6:49 AM

For R43

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 3, 2023 8:25 AM

Here's Debbie Allen's Footloose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 3, 2023 8:28 AM

My fave part is when she almost trips over one of the dancers on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 50June 3, 2023 8:32 AM

Diana Ross was really at her peak vocally in the 80s. I wish Stevie would have given the song to Diana to sing on the soundtrack instead. She sounded great at R20.

by Anonymousreply 51June 3, 2023 8:41 AM

What was the reasoning behind not allowing Kenny Loggins and Stevie Wonder and Phil Collins to perform their songs? Would it have seemed too much like a Grammy show?

by Anonymousreply 52June 3, 2023 8:44 AM

Thank you R48. Morbidly fascinating and hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 53June 3, 2023 8:44 AM

[quote]“He is one of my heroes, but I have serious doubts about whether or not that song was actually written for the film,” (Collins) said, before offering an explanation for why Wonder won that he probably regrets: “He’s blind, black, lives in L.A. and does a lot for human rights.”

😂

He's not wrong. Things haven't really changed, either.

by Anonymousreply 54June 3, 2023 8:51 AM

I laughed at how in his intro Jeff Bridges says Gary Chryst was the luckiest man in the building to get to dance with Ann Reinking. Phil Collins must have been the UNluckiest man in the building to have to watch his song being massacred.

by Anonymousreply 55June 3, 2023 8:57 AM

Sales.

It's not complicated.

by Anonymousreply 56June 3, 2023 9:23 AM

I agree, R6. “This Woman’s Work” is a beautiful song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 3, 2023 9:25 AM

R54 I agree with you, Phil was right. The song was written in 1978 by two of Wonder’s collaborators, and was shelved until the film came out in 1984. Wonder revised it a bit, changed the chorus, and voila! Film theme. The song did not meet the Academy’s criteria, but won anyway. Totally political.

by Anonymousreply 58June 3, 2023 9:26 AM

Just imagine what Debbie Allen could have done with "When Doves Cry".

by Anonymousreply 59June 3, 2023 9:29 AM

“She’s Having a Baby” was the movie “This Woman’s Work” appeared in. (1988)

by Anonymousreply 60June 3, 2023 9:32 AM

[quote]Phil Collins must have been the UNluckiest man in the building to have to watch his song being massacred.

There are moments when Reinking seems nervous and her vocals waver; she must have caught a glimpse of Collins shooting daggers into her with his eyes.

by Anonymousreply 61June 3, 2023 9:33 AM

R69 I state that at r6.

by Anonymousreply 62June 3, 2023 12:19 PM

R60 obviously.

by Anonymousreply 63June 3, 2023 12:20 PM

R61, she should have just bagged the song at the last minute and broke into a rendition of 'We've Got Annie.'

by Anonymousreply 64June 3, 2023 2:38 PM

Wonder was the WORST choice for this award. But Phil’s reasons on why he won were correct. Black, blind, and I would add, at a time when Wonder could do no wrong awards wise (he would continue to win Grammys for years to come after this). Footloose, AAO and Ghostbusters really captured the spirit of each of their respective films, not the Stevie Wonder crappy song.

by Anonymousreply 65June 3, 2023 3:09 PM

[quote] Stevie had a wonderful voice, though. Back in the day, he could have sung your grocery list and it would have become a hit song.

Yes, but if you listen to his vocals on I Just Called... they sound horrible. He frequently wavers off-key and it's painful to listen to, not something one would ever say about Stevie's voice.

by Anonymousreply 66June 3, 2023 5:22 PM

[quote] Sales. It's not complicated.

Wrong. As already stated, each one of the five songs was a massive #1 hit and all five went platinum for singles sales.

by Anonymousreply 67June 3, 2023 5:26 PM

[quote] Yes, but if you listen to his vocals on I Just Called... they sound horrible.

His voice sounds fine, IMO. It's not a challenging song to sing.

by Anonymousreply 68June 3, 2023 5:56 PM

This soundalike is pretty spot on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 3, 2023 6:09 PM

Stevie Wonder’s song is actually more harmonically interesting than the others nominated that year, at least the verses.

Best Song at the Oscars, though? I don’t know. I also don’t care about the Oscars. They often pick shit.

It’s a decent song, though. Better than anything today coming from Bruno Mars or Ed Sheeran.

And yes, better than the Ghostbusters theme song, for fuck’s sake.

by Anonymousreply 70June 3, 2023 6:20 PM

I really wish they had gotten 'broadcast legend' Joan Calamezzo to sing "Let's Hear it for the Boy'

by Anonymousreply 71June 3, 2023 8:33 PM

Let’s get Denise Williams her due. Just her and the orchestra. Great vocals and no stupid props or dances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 4, 2023 12:10 AM

Agreed, R72. It's the most dignified of the five performances.

by Anonymousreply 73June 4, 2023 2:01 AM

I love Deniece Williams. Too bad she became a Holy Roller after scoring her biggest hit on the charts and leaving her Pop career behind. She's certainly one of the precursors to the kind of vocals we got from Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey.

by Anonymousreply 74June 4, 2023 2:35 AM

Half the musicians seem not to be necessary.

by Anonymousreply 75June 4, 2023 5:41 AM

Her dress got shredded.

by Anonymousreply 76June 4, 2023 6:55 AM

ummm maybe you should change SHRINKS.

by Anonymousreply 77June 4, 2023 6:58 AM

Why was the Ann Reinking thread shut down after only 165 replies? Was it the same mysterious force that replaced Phil Collins with her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 4, 2023 7:43 AM

I remember "I Just Called.." was particularly, massively popular with the fraus. My science teacher (a woman) was obsessed with that song. I think the Academy was afraid the fraus would riot if it didn't win.

by Anonymousreply 79June 4, 2023 8:06 AM

[quote] Why was the Ann Reinking thread shut down after only 165 replies?

That thread was from 2018. Most threads older than two years are closed.

by Anonymousreply 80June 4, 2023 8:24 AM

Deniece Williams is a lovely girl but she really should wear makeup when she performs.

by Anonymousreply 81June 4, 2023 8:40 AM

I would have liked Streets of Fire to be nominated for Best Song Score and "I Can Dream About You" for Best Song.

by Anonymousreply 82June 4, 2023 8:43 AM

Same here, R82. There were so many great songs in Streets of Fire, and the opening and closing numbers were both exactly the kind of song that should be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 83June 4, 2023 4:49 PM

Fuck you, OP!!

by Anonymousreply 84June 4, 2023 4:54 PM

I like the way Against All Odds works the movie title into the song at a climactic moment.

by Anonymousreply 85June 4, 2023 5:39 PM

La Times:

I have heard two reasons for why the producers turned down Phil Collins offer to sing his Oscar-nominated song “Against All Odds” and instead invited Ann Reinking to perform:

One, the producers wanted someone who was a stage performer and could dance. Judging from the performance by Reinking, I would think it would have been a much better idea to have Collins sing as the dancers danced. Two, which is even more ridiculous, the Academy is more interested in celebrating the motion picture industry and not the music or television industries.

Why, then, did both Ray Parker Jr. and Deneice Williams perform? At least Collins has acting experience both on film and on London’s West End.

Collins was treated shabbily by the academy. Reinking did an incredible job of totally destroying a beautiful song. The best that can be said about her performance is that the stage set was nice.

by Anonymousreply 86June 4, 2023 5:45 PM

R86 I wonder if Phil’s song “I Can’t Dance” was a reference to the Oscar debacle.

by Anonymousreply 87June 4, 2023 7:48 PM

^^ Actually, I think it is! The music video tells the story. Poor Phil, too ugly and untalented for Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 4, 2023 7:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!