Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joan Crawford tough as nails star in camp fest "Torch Song"

Joan Crawford as Helen Lawson before there was "Valley of the Dolls!" Joan as a singing/dancing superstar who can neither sing nor dance! JC with a "kid" sister who's young enough to be her daughter. Michael Wilding as a blind pianist who recalls Joan as a sweet young thing! Best of all, when Joan's "Hel" rips her own wig off... in blackface! Enjoy my take on "Torch!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 4, 2023 4:41 AM

Part I

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2023 3:27 PM

We always called it "Torched Song."

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2023 3:42 PM

Crawford had great legs.

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2023 3:43 PM

Joan's voice...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2023 3:48 PM

Joan's voice didn't sustain much past a line or two at this point... And Joan's legs could crack coconuts!

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2023 4:09 PM

Well, it certainly was an improvement over...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2023 4:14 PM

Joan's all '50s swanky... especially in her canary yellow onesie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2023 5:41 PM

"Torch Song" is an inexplicable hot mess...I've seen it four or five times!

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2023 9:03 PM

Who told her that the swell of hair on top of her forehead was attractive? It looks like razor wire.

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2023 9:48 PM

I have Torch Song on DVD and watch it at least quarterly. Favorite line: "Your idea of art's the fruit in the slot machine."

I'm going to watch it tonight after making Greg's macaroni salad!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2023 10:41 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2023 10:46 PM

When do we get this one as a restored Blu-ray with a new 4K scan from the original camera negative, Warner Archive?

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2023 10:46 PM

R10, so you’re trying to get fatter?

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2023 10:48 PM

Eternal hair and eyebrow issues but made very entertaining films throughout her life

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2023 10:48 PM

I always feel that the parallels between Joan and Tom Cruise in terms of career, drive, ambition, and ability are pretty uncanny. Watching both of them act is exhausting because you can just feel the effort they are putting into it. Sometimes this works because it fits the character, but sometimes it just makes me tired.

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2023 10:59 PM

Who danced it better?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2023 11:11 PM

"You're paid to dance around that leg!"

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2023 11:14 PM

Tom Cruise is indeed cut from the same cloth as Crawford. Tom had the same sorry upbringing and his drive was the same, to get away from the dire origins. Along the way, that energy turned to desperation, especially when the career began to falter.

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2023 11:26 PM

[quote]Favorite line: "Your idea of art's the fruit in the slot machine."

Favorite line: "Lobster Newburg....and COFFEE!"

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2023 11:59 PM

And Tom is similarly obsessed with presenting as -- and playing -- younger than his age.

Some wag wrote that India Adams did Miss Crawford's singing "in a voice so husky that it could pull a sled."

by Anonymousreply 20June 3, 2023 12:10 AM

Is it true Michael wilding slept with men?

by Anonymousreply 21June 3, 2023 12:12 AM

A passage to India...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 3, 2023 12:13 AM

Good man, R10!

Please report back.

by Anonymousreply 23June 3, 2023 12:30 AM

Uhhh.... r23/Greg...did you notice r10's signature?

by Anonymousreply 24June 3, 2023 12:34 AM

I did, R24–but only after I posted R23.

I’m sorry I said “good man.”

These are the times we live in.

by Anonymousreply 25June 3, 2023 12:50 AM

[quote]These are the times we live in.

No, you just weren't being observant.

by Anonymousreply 26June 3, 2023 12:53 AM

R10 reporting back. Greg, your macaroni salad recipe was perfection! Also easy on the wallet. Thank you for sharing!

Back to Torch Song!

by Anonymousreply 27June 3, 2023 1:47 AM

I cannot believe anyone would voluntarily want to fuck Joan Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 28June 3, 2023 1:51 AM

She had a delicious figure and a bawdy sensibility. I imagine behind closed doors she was a treat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 3, 2023 1:55 AM

She just looks like a hard boy h. She doesn’t look like she enjoys men. Was she just a top with men?

by Anonymousreply 30June 3, 2023 1:58 AM

No! I meant hard bitch!

by Anonymousreply 31June 3, 2023 1:58 AM

Who decided Joan looked good with that hair and those harsh brows? Seriously great legs oddly juxtaposed by matronly helmet hair and harsh brown and lips.

by Anonymousreply 32June 3, 2023 2:03 AM

It's lonely at the top!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 3, 2023 2:09 AM

I prefer Helen planting her own tree.

by Anonymousreply 34June 3, 2023 2:14 AM

Apparently Joan loved the Mildred Fierce sketch, but she thought this one made fun of her.

by Anonymousreply 35June 3, 2023 2:21 AM

What was the inspiration for the mostly terrible, short sexless hairstyles of the 1950s

by Anonymousreply 36June 3, 2023 2:28 AM

She DID have nice legs. But I believe she looked better in her other 1950s films. Of course, this is the only one with blackface involved.

by Anonymousreply 37June 3, 2023 2:28 AM

Fuck you, r36.

by Anonymousreply 38June 3, 2023 2:36 AM

R28, it's my understanding that Joan would do anything in the bedroom. And I mean AN-Y-Th-I-NG...

by Anonymousreply 39June 3, 2023 2:46 AM

Snip snip, R38

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 3, 2023 2:51 AM

Joan started out in silent films, and built her career the hard way. At her peak, she was one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 3, 2023 2:53 AM

Those weird later lips and the whole hard look...I can hardly believe she was kinda sultry.

by Anonymousreply 42June 3, 2023 3:07 AM

It’s the heavy brows.

by Anonymousreply 43June 3, 2023 3:28 AM

Something about “Torch Song” just makes it grow on me. All the elements are tawdry, but put together, they make something memorable. Too bad there was never a soundtrack release that I know of. (Maybe a 10 in. lp.)

And, it got a Best Supporting Oscar nomination for Marjorie Rambeau, who’s very touching as Crawford’s mother.

And I love the song, “Tenderly.”

And my favorite line: when the taxi driver asks Joan where she wants him to drop off the not so subtly gay Gig Young, she quips, “Any dark bar!”

And who did they think they were fooling , when Joan hosts an impromptu “party,” attended by only men! All in jackets and ties, but obviously caught up in each other. A rare glimpse of 50’s gay men on the DL.

See? “Torch Song”grows on you.

by Anonymousreply 44June 3, 2023 3:44 AM

"Torch Song" is not a poorly produced film at all, it's just that it is a nice production of a very bad movie.

It's too bad the film isn't as good as its posters which are excellent!

by Anonymousreply 45June 3, 2023 3:53 AM

[quote]Too bad there was never a soundtrack release that I know of. (Maybe a 10 in. lp.)

It was MGM, r44, of course there was...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 3, 2023 3:54 AM

Love when Joan makes her poor maid run lines with her, and at one point criticizes the maid's failure to recognize that "That's a broken speech."

by Anonymousreply 47June 3, 2023 7:00 AM

That mask from "Strait Jacket" looks like it was first used in "Torch Song!"

by Anonymousreply 48June 3, 2023 11:15 AM

[quote] [R10] reporting back. Greg, your macaroni salad recipe was perfection! Also easy on the wallet. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you, FatCubeFrau, I’m happy you liked it!

by Anonymousreply 49June 3, 2023 12:14 PM

R1 that Carol Brunette clip truly is hilarious. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 50June 3, 2023 12:42 PM

The eyebrow makeup back then was so weird. They used to paint Peter O Toole’s eyebrows the same way.

by Anonymousreply 51June 3, 2023 1:42 PM

[R46]: I suspected something like that. Not a soundtrack recording, no underscore, and missing the notorious “Two Faced Woman.”

But probably all we can ever expect.

by Anonymousreply 52June 3, 2023 3:13 PM

It is fun to note "Torch Song" director Chuck Walters also plays Joan's unlucky dance partner in the dance rehearsal scene.

What a sport!

by Anonymousreply 53June 3, 2023 3:30 PM

She was so much prettier in her early years before the aging makeup and hair.

by Anonymousreply 54June 3, 2023 3:41 PM

Joan was luminous in the '30s...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 3, 2023 3:45 PM

Joan was indeed striking in the '30s and through the mid-40s...

by Anonymousreply 56June 3, 2023 9:00 PM

I have an original 1953 Torch Song movie poster as seen in r10 in my TV room (I’m looking at it right now). I looked through 100s of posters when decorating, and kept going back that one. I’d love to have a Bette Davis and a Barbara Stanwyck poster to complement it. Maybe one day.

by Anonymousreply 57June 3, 2023 9:56 PM

"I cannot believe anyone would voluntarily want to fuck Joan Crawford."

You think straight men are picky or something? No, Crawford was a good-looking woman who kept her figure through middle age, and was an easy and experienced lay. And she'd move the pots to get any dirt that might be hiding in the house and claimed to be an excellent, what more could a straight man want?

Who knows, she may even have been attractive in real life during the 1950s and 60s, when she her screen persona became that of a campy dragon. If she'd ever taken off the Kabuki makeup and relaxed, she might have looked way, way better than the average woman of her age. I mean, this isn't a physically ugly woman, just a scary one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 4, 2023 4:26 AM

"What was the inspiration for the mostly terrible, short sexless hairstyles of the 1950s"

Feminists have said that the 1950s zeitgeist for women was all about forcing women back into the kitchen, after they'd spent the 1940s holding good jobs and being independent, while all the younger men were conscripted or dead. 1940s women's fashion was slim-lined because of fabric shortages and mannish because of the aforementioned independence, while hairstyle were long and extravagantly waved, as hairstyles were about the only thing free of wartime restrictions and rationing.

So we all know about the post-war return of feminine "New Look" styles, but as clothes became more feminine, hair became less so, short and practical, suitable for a housewife who had to get on with mopping floors and wiping baby butts, and who didn't want her husband think she was trying to look attractive to other men. Because the ideal 1950s woman was a wife and not a lover, and definitely not some ball-buster who is taking a job away from some man because she thinks she's Rosie the Riveter. Matronly looks were popularized, because TPTB wanted women to stop being independent and become matrons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 4, 2023 4:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!