Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Global survey finds 9% of adults identify as LGBTQ

Spain be like, yes homo.

[quote]Nearly 1 in 10 adults across 30 countries identify as LGBTQ, according to a new global survey. Age and geographic location played a central role in the findings, with younger respondents and those in more progressive countries significantly more likely to be included in that top-line number.

[quote]Respondents in Spain were the most likely (6%) to identify as gay or lesbian, while those in Brazil and the Netherlands were the most likely to identify as bisexual (both 7%). By contrast, respondents in Japan were the least likely to identify as gay or lesbian (less than 1%) or as bisexual (1%).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2023 10:35 AM

[quote]Support for same-sex marriage, however, has “softened in several Western countries since 2021,” the report found.

[quote]Of the 23 countries surveyed both this year and in 2021, the report found that nine showed a decline of 4 percentage points or more in the support of same-sex marriage, including the U.S., Canada and the U.K. Only two countries surveyed both years showed an increase of 4 percentage points or more: France and Peru.

[quote]“We see that there tends to be a lot of opposition where trans rights are a very political issue,” Boyon said. “I wonder if, to some extent, the political polarization has not spilled over to views about same-sex marriage and adoption.”

[quote]Similar patterns were also found regarding adoption by same-sex couples. Globally, 64% of respondents said same-sex couples should have the same adoption rights as opposite-sex couples, though the report found that support for same-sex adoption has “declined significantly” in the U.S., Canada, the Netherlands, Sweden and Turkey.

This is concerning, but I'm sure it's just a blip.

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2023 11:20 AM

20% is the real number when people believe they are answering anonymously. That's been true since 1991.

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2023 11:33 AM

Well every one of us 9% better get the hell out and vote some of the 91% out.

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2023 11:39 AM

Mucho homo.

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2023 11:41 AM

I have found over the years that there's just something innately homosexual about Spain and I'm glad hard data now supports my impression.

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2023 11:45 AM

I've always said most Latin men are bi. But they get all fucked-up with machismo, religion, ignorance, dope and booze.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2023 12:09 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2023 9:20 PM

[quote] 20% is the real number when people believe they are answering anonymously. That's been true since 1991.

Unlike the 90s, it’s cool to be gay. So, no, people aren’t lying. They can’t shut up about it.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2023 9:51 PM

R2 The 11% remaining are closeted celebs/public figures.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2023 9:54 PM

How many of these respondents identify as TQ instead of gay

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2023 9:56 PM

It's in the article.

[quote]In terms of gender identity, 0.8% of respondents identified as transgender; 1.3% percent as nonbinary, gender nonconforming or gender fluid; and 0.7% did not identify with any of these categories but also did not identify as male or female.

So, 0.8% as trans and 2% as what could be considered queer. That's when it comes to gender identity, I don't think the pollster gave that option under sexual orientation. Original document at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2023 10:07 PM

Japan is not really accepting of gays, probably a lot of people are in the closet there

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2023 10:10 PM

Didn't know Switzerland was so gay

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2023 10:12 PM

It's the cheese. Or the fact that wealthier countries tend to be more accepting of gay people, with obvious exceptions. But it's probably the cheese.

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2023 10:29 PM

Definitely the cheese. R14 is on to something.

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2023 2:34 AM

So cool R8 that "that's so gay" became a synonym for "lame" Were you kept in a cult isolated from society for the last forty years?

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2023 3:21 AM

[quote] Japan is not really accepting of gays

Yes they are. They’re promoted homosexuality in kids shows as far back as 30 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2023 3:29 AM

[quote] So cool [R8] that "that's so gay" became a synonym for "lame"

That hasn’t been a thing since the 2000s, hon.

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2023 3:29 AM

The TREVOR project dates from 2010 so I think you're wrong R18.

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2023 10:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!