Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Investors of the DL: when is it time to buy Target (TGT) and Anheuser-Busch (BUD) stock?

I know Target is supposedly getting creamed bc of the Pride stuff. But I think retail overall is shitting the bed with some notable exceptions (like Walmart which is selling Pride merchandise too).

But I feel like the stock prices of these companies are getting meme'd lower even though it's not supported by actual lower revenue.

So what's a good price to buy these stocks?

by Anonymousreply 34November 14, 2023 10:06 PM

Fuck OP! I thought you said Investors IN the Datalounge.

Almost gave me a fucking heart attack!

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 11:26 AM

to the pink sheets with mediapolis "stock"

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 11:32 AM

TGT was at $261 per share in August, 2021 and is trading at $130 per share now. Its decline involves a lot more than Pride displays (which are up virtually year-round anyway in some locations). Trading these or any other stocks on the basis of headlines or political sentiment alone is very risky.

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 11:47 AM

I would also like an answer for that question.

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2023 11:48 AM

I should add, for those who don't follow the ticker, that TGT's price first dropped to the $130s in June of '22. Then it rose again but never but never cracked the $190s, and it was again in decline by early May, before the Pride kerfuffle (which we can now say hasn't helped matters).

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 11:54 AM

We can see what you're doing OP.

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2023 11:55 AM

Target is overvalued even at 130 or what ever it is. I have been to Target stores and there are a lot of empty shelves and they tend to be chronically low on merchandise ever since the pandemic. It someone buys them out or they collapse and go out of business I will not be surprised. I'm talking maybe two years from now. There are some brands out here that are in trouble, like Coca Cola, Budweiser, and Target and Kohl's. I have to wonder how Kohl's stays in business. And most people have forgotten J C Penney even exists.

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2023 12:12 PM

$26 billion. That’s how much market capitalization Anheuser-Busch has lost over the last two months.

Target in free fall: Retail giant’s market value plunges by $13billion as shares drop by another 2.14% for the ninth consecutive day as chain scrambles to recover from backlash against Pride ‘tuck-friendly’ swimwear range

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2023 1:32 PM

Target's problems are far from done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2023 2:34 PM

Haha! R9.

I'm not dumbfounded by much of what rightwingers latch onto as 'bad' but the recent freak out over corps having Diversity + Inclusion execs is a bit of a head scratcher.

I mean, DEI in big companies essentially started in the 1960s and expanded in the 1990s but these people are JUST NOW finding out about it... and it makes them mad NOW? Where's their anger been this whole time?

It really is a testament to the RightWing dark money groups and their ability to herd their sheep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2023 3:22 PM

R6, thanks. It’s nice to be seen. That’s what DE&I is all about.

R3, you think this is more about just the general slaughter in retail now? Macy’s is down by almost half from its recent high.

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2023 3:40 PM

R11, I think TGT's woes are a combination of things, with one of the biggest factors being its crazy overvaluation during the pandemic. Then you add the economic headwinds currently facing retailers, and Target's particular vulnerability when so much of its inventory is more about conspicuous consumption than essentials, and it's inevitable that the stock would crash back down to earth.

It's too early to know the genuine impact of the Pride controversy but it wouldn't change my trading strategy for TGT. I hate to link to the NY Post, but as it points out, Walmart sells similar Pride merchandise and is doing just fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2023 4:17 PM

R12, what retailer would you buy, if any?

What other non-retail sector stock would you buy?

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2023 10:17 PM

Interesting that for all the hate you guys give Walmart they are the more principled "ally"

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2023 10:25 PM

Barron's has had a couple of articles that believe BUD is a buy, for long-term.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2023 10:34 PM

Storefront retail will be making a huge comeback in no time I think the kids are really getting over this crazy cell phone and world wide web fad

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2023 10:47 PM

Why, R14? Walmart isn't being boycotted. Who knows how they would react if they were?

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2023 10:48 PM

I think historically Walmart does well in a recession and Target does not fare well. There is a perception that Target is for middle/ upper middle class people who will shop at Walmart when there is economic pressure. Dollar stores and fast food have also done well in recessions. (fast food b/c the perception that during a recession that is how middle/upper middle class people will dine out).

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2023 11:14 PM

Anheuser Busch had a bunch of action yesterday. Maybe that article was planted as part of it.

BENZINGA 12:31 PM ET May-31-2023 Someone with a lot of money to spend has taken a bullish stance on Anheuser-Busch InBev (NYSE:BUD). And retail traders should know. We noticed this today when the big position showed up on publicly available options history that we track here at Benzinga. Whether this is an institution or just a wealthy individual, we don't know. But when something this big happens with BUD, it often means somebody knows something is about to happen. So how do we know what this whale just did? Today, Benzinga's options scanner spotted 16 uncommon options trades for Anheuser-Busch InBev. This isn't normal. The overall sentiment of these big-money traders is split between 56% bullish and 43%, bearish. Out of all of the special options we uncovered, 14 are puts, for a total amount of $660,412, and 2 are calls, for a total amount of $53,539. What's The Price Target?

Taking into account the Volume and Open Interest on these contracts, it appears that whales have been targeting a price range from $53.0 to $75.0 for Anheuser-Busch InBev over the last 3 months. Volume & Open Interest Development

Looking at the volume and open interest is a powerful move while trading options. This data can help you track the liquidity and interest for Anheuser-Busch InBev's options for a given strike price. Below, we can observe the evolution of the volume and open interest of calls and puts, respectively, for all of Anheuser-Busch InBev's whale trades within a strike price range from $53.0 to $75.0 in the last 30 days.

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2023 11:18 PM

On Tuesday, America First Legal took to Twitter on a fishing expedition looking for disgruntled shareholders who have seen their investments flow down the drain since the beer’s embrace of transgender activist Dylan Mulvaney led to a weeks-long boycott that shows no sign of stopping.

“ATTENTION: Are you a shareholder of @Target @Kohls @abinbev, or other companies that are promoting transgender, LGBTQ and PRIDE products and diminishing shareholder value? We want to hear from you,” the law firm posted.

Newsweek said that America First Legal, which did not return requests for comment, appears to be laying the foundation for what’s called a “Stock-Drop Lawsuit.”

In concept, such lawsuits claim a company did not fully discharge its fiduciary obligations to shareholders ahead of a decline in the value of their stock

-----------------

I guess this will also start appearing along side of the late-night mesothelioma lawsuit commercials

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2023 11:23 PM

Tell ya whut. Target ain't cheap. People used to go to Target because it had good stuff for low prices. But no more. YOu can spend a small fortune at Target. And their stuff is cheap quality too.

One thing I have noticed over the past 4 years? Walmart has upped their game online. Shopping at Walmart online is a very good experience. And they seem to carry more brand names than fucking Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2023 2:04 AM

Totally agree. I've held Walmart is disdain forever, but began using them to cheaply have groceries delivered during the pandemic. For $99/yr you can get free pickup or delivery of anything Walmart sells, and a free Paramount+ membership (which I never would have bought separately, but am enjoying).

I still don't shop in the stores, but online? Hell, yeah. Vastly preferable to Amazon, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2023 1:55 PM

retail and beer are dying industries in the bigger picture. i think it's a bad idea to get cute with trading don't invest in anything if you're not seriously long on it.

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2023 2:08 PM

Retail is not going to entirely disappear. People still like to go to the store and touch and feel and examine products and clothing before they buy. I buy clothes online, but I like to go to the mall and window shop, maybe every couple of months.

by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2023 2:14 PM

The one thing to keep in mind regarding this whole Bud light and Target situation is both organizations cater to or rather caved into trans agenda. Not LGB agenda.

by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2023 2:14 PM

Does anyone else suspect that Walmart is behind the whole anti-LGBT campaign focusing on Target?

by Anonymousreply 26June 4, 2023 3:08 PM

There is currently some turbulence in the retail world and it didn't surprise me at all that Target lost so much value so quickly, but it angered me that the MAGAt get to take credit for the decline in Target's price over the tuck-swimsuit bullshit. Kohl's is another matter; their problems go far deeper and the LGBT issue is just another casualty of our homophobic (really transphobia, but we're joined at the hip so thanks trans for dragging the entire alphabet down with you) culture.

Now that things are getting back to normal after the pandemic, retailers are discovering that when consumers have other things to spend their money on, they are not buying for entertainment's sake. Further, as R22 points out, Walmart has found a way to make upper middle class and wealthy people shop there: they don't have to shop there! It's kind of ironic that Walmart won't employ people to run the cash registers (pretty much the only personal contact a customer has with the store) but they'll pay someone to shop for you, check it out, bag everything, and bring it to your door. Hubby bought the plus membership at the beginning of the pandemic over my objection, but I've come around, too. It is sweet when the doordash driver rolls up with our groceries (and one recent driver was a hot 6'4" 220lb muscleboy that unfortunately was wearing a Jebus is king t-shirt) and I can stay home and smoke pot.

If Walmart gets their platform for third-party sellers running smoothly, they will ruin Amazon. Amazon knows this but is cocky as they watch Walmart flounder; it's time for another stock scare after an announcement that Walmart's share of online sales grew at Amazon's expense. Amazon's house of cards is showing the signs of stress, too. They are currently at war with their sellers after they issued a demand that the sellers contact Congress protesting the INFORM act and hardly any sellers did, and those who did basically told Congress that it was a terrific idea and could they please regulate Amazon more?

So now Amazon is punishing their third party sellers by requiring them to verify their identity despite the fact that Amazon already has all of the information required by the Act (and more). Jassy essentially issued a dictate that the sellers must be made to suffer for not supporting Amazon's corporate defiance of Congress, so has demanded that sellers jump through ridiculous hoops repeatedly, and still be told their their selling accounts are "at risk of deactivation" despite having all of the information required, the sellers doing everything Amazon demanded for this round of bullshit, and it causing undue consternation.. and rebellion.

Memo to Walmart: get your shit together and half of Amazon's 3 million third-party sellers will defect, and the other half will sell on both platforms.

Meanwhile, Amazon needs to keep an eye on TikTok's venture into online retailing. TikTok already accounts for about 20% of Amazon's traffic, so they're trying to find a way to scoop up more of that business, and those MF'ers are brutally competitive. Bezos was right: Amazon's woes are only just beginning.

Bottom line, OP: now is not the time to invest in retail unless you really know and understand what's going on.

by Anonymousreply 27June 4, 2023 3:57 PM

R27 - any good articles on this Amazon v Walmart thing? I’ve never heard of it but it sounds interesting in a corp shitshow way.

by Anonymousreply 28June 4, 2023 6:36 PM

Anheuser-Busch (BUD) hit $60 for a period today, back from it's low of around $53 during the Mulvaney controversy.

by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2023 2:29 AM

Around 2008 I bought about 800 Apple shares and around 6.00 per share. It was for the Roth IRA I just opened, and I still have them.

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2023 12:21 PM

Good move, r30. It's crazy to think Apple was so cheap even as late as 2008.

by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2023 12:30 PM

Why don't you buy an ETF that tracks an index like the S&P 50P, OP? Even if TGT and BUD rise, it's still not really worth buying them as an individual retail investor at that price.

by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2023 12:33 PM

BUD closed at $61.23 today .. up $1.52 (+2.55%).

by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2023 8:10 PM

Everything closed up today, r33, thanks to the drop in inflation.

by Anonymousreply 34November 14, 2023 10:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!