Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eggs are cheap again.

A dozen large white eggs are $1.24 at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2023 2:26 PM

Please don't buy cage eggs. The conditions are very cruel. Free range or organic eggs are better too - the more orange the yolk.

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 7:04 AM

No. Grapes. Wtf. America is third 🌏 now

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 8:46 AM

Those $1.24 eggs are terrified out of the chickens OP. Their living conditions are horrifying.

If we all stopped buying their eggs they would either have to change their farming practices or go out of business. We should support ethical farming. I know it costs a bit more but money. But money is the only thing which talks to these people. It's the right thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 9:39 AM

R3 I went to a veterinary seminar at a conference with Temple Grandin and it can get horrific, as I learned.

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2023 9:41 AM

I can’t opt for the cheap eggs for reasons cited above, the conditions of these creatures’ lives.

I hope that buying the cage free form does support more humane treatment of these animals. I do notice the color of the yolks are brighter in the cafe free organic forms.

The yolk of eggs has special nutrients/compounds that help reduce midsection obesity. I have seen that come to play this year, but not without resistance training and a pretty awful fitness regime.

With all the uncertainty of the times and this “interpandemic” economy, I got really focused on my health and fitness to try and be ready for this next decade. Too many of my friends are in poor health and broke, and I really don’t want that for myself. So it’s less meat and more eggs and healthier forms of them for me. I’m 58 and have a “big” job, and want to stay in the game a while longer.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 10:27 AM

^^ “cage free” not cafe. D’oh

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2023 10:28 AM

Organic eggs can cost 6 times or more. That's a hell of a premium.

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2023 2:16 PM

I miss living next door to this old lady who kept a couple of chickens in her back yard, and gave me eggs frequently. I don't even think it was legal, but no one reported her, and she kept her yard very clean. They were delicious brown eggs, and the chickens seemed happy and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2023 2:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!