Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fat Whores rejoice: Binge Eating Disorder gets The NY Times Spotlight.

DataLounge Gold:

“And, critically, binge eating disorder interferes with people’s day-to-day lives. Some of Dr. Bulik’s patients have missed work because they stayed up bingeing and then felt sick, she said; other patients have woken up with crinkled wrappers in their bedsheets, and unchewed food still in their mouths. One of her patients ordered a cake for her child’s birthday party and, on the drive home from the supermarket, ate the whole thing with her hands.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2023 3:50 PM

This disorder has everything - shame, entire boxes of Frosted Mini-Wheats, vague diagnoses…

“At 2 or 3 a.m., David Tedrow would hide the empty cardboard cereal box, shoving it into the bottom of the trash can or the back of the cupboard, where his wife wouldn’t notice it. Mr. Tedrow was in his 60s and retired, and he often slept until the afternoon so he could stay up late, after everyone else had gone to bed.

During frantic late-night bursts, he would eat an entire box of cereal — Oatmeal Squares, Frosted Mini-Wheats, whatever was around — and then dispose of the evidence. He had eaten compulsively throughout his life, he said, but after months of going through a box of cereal each night, he decided to try to get help.

In 2016, he left his home in North Carolina to seek treatment for what he thought was food addiction at a hospital in Wisconsin that specialized in eating issues. He was diagnosed with binge eating disorder.”

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 3:16 AM

Finally!

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 3:16 AM

I’m EXHAUSTED!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 3:19 AM

Finally!

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2023 3:20 AM

You disassociate - like Sybil, but with frosting and a TickTock account…

“During a binge, Kaitlin Schaefer, 36, who manages corporate sustainability efforts for a clothing brand in Toronto, often felt like she was hovering outside of her body — time would dissolve in the minutes between opening a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and the spoon scraping the bottom of the carton. “It’s almost like you become a robot,” said Kelsey Grennan, 25, a content creator who has posted videos on TikTok about her experiences with binge eating disorder, which she was diagnosed with at age 18. At the height of her disorder, food was a refuge, a shortcut to numb her stress, she said, adding, “You go into this state of wanting to escape.” Online, Ms. Grennan has found a vocal, and growing, community of people who are recovering from the disorder. Videos with the hashtag #BingeEatingRecovery have been viewed more than seven million times on TikTok, and myriad users share intimate details about their binge episodes and paths to treatment — helping to reduce stigma around a disorder that is so often marked by shame.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 3:21 AM

I used to binge eat, followed by puking up all of it. It's how I kept down my weight but still got to enjoy eating an entire cake like a fat whore. Yummy.

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2023 3:31 AM

I know a woman who developed a drinking problem as a result of binge eating disorder. She has battled food issues since she was an adolescent but in her 40s started drinking more because when her inhibitions were down she give herself “permission” to binge eat. She craves alcohol because she craves binge eating. Very sad, really.

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2023 3:41 AM

[quote]other patients have woken up with crinkled wrappers in their bedsheets, and unchewed food still in their mouths.

LOL - waking up with unchewed food in your mouth.

Would that be surprise oral?

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2023 3:45 AM

All regurgitators need to brush up on Barrett's Esophagus and make GI appointments for an endoscopy.

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2023 3:47 AM

R1, love your opening line…I want to hear Stefon (SNL character) read your post aloud.

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2023 3:49 AM

It's called...the munchies.

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2023 3:52 AM

I struggled with this and bulimia, via mass quantities of laxatives in my late teens / early 20s. I had to get professional help for it. I also had some other bad habits like picking up random men, not nice ones. Drugs and drinking.

Basically it boiled down to self hatred which I had to work on. It was either decide to get well or get busy killing yourself. I don’t recall having an out of body experience. I recall feeling out of control and wanting to disappear and make myself into nothing.

The levels of nausea after binge eating then downing 12 or so laxative pills were excruciating. Than the dehydration.

by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2023 3:53 AM

I can't believe no one's mentioned Meredith Baxter Birney's magnum opus on this subject, the 1986 TV movie Kate's Secret!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2023 4:01 AM

La Birney's complete triumph:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2023 4:02 AM

Thanks R10!

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2023 4:22 AM

Binge eaters, does your experience look like the movie portrayed it at 22:11?

Do you swoon around like you're drunk (hearing demented windchimes), say "mmm mmm" as you push handfuls of food into your mouth and pull platters of food to the floor?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2023 4:23 AM

Wow! I never dreamed that I would become a TREND SETTER one day . . .

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2023 4:26 AM

I kind of binged tonight and feel very nauseous. I had a “share size” bag of peanut M&Ms which is supposed to be three servings, two fistfuls of Doritos, and four Oreos. I don’t know how people can do this regularly. Although for the cereal guy I am sure I could eat a box of cereal a day.

I’m not a fat whore but have been very carb restricted for six weeks until Memorial Day weekend. It’s very true that eating bad carbs makes you crave even more.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2023 4:36 AM

Oh, Lord, I have enough problems as it is, so I’m very thankful this has never happened to me. I can’t even finish a full meal at a restaurant, so I can’t imagine eating three pizzas. It sounds incredibly painful.

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2023 4:49 AM

[quote]I’m not a fat whore but have been very carb restricted for six weeks until Memorial Day weekend.

Now that Memorial Day has passed, are you going to go back to being a fat whore? Or are you gonna wait till after Labor Day?

Are you just a skinny whore in between?

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2023 4:52 AM

Binge eating is common. The only thing that really works is Overeaters Anonymous. Which is mainly a program of "Want to eat? Do this instead...." Its very, very helpful for people after they have had bariatric surgery. Its also helpful for people who are thinking of getting bariatric surgery. At a certain point, if your life is controlled by food and you've gained or lost 100lbs in your life, chances are you need it.

One thing is for absolutely certain though--People are more likely to surgically remove their stomachs than attend a few OA meetings to check it out and see if its for them.

by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2023 6:31 AM

"Oh, I thought you said in your profile you have BDE, not BED. May bad. Take care."

by Anonymousreply 22June 1, 2023 6:47 AM

Legz with his legs up due to Monfils default.

by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2023 3:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!