Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It’s getting harder for me to deal with summer heat

I’m in Southeastern Wisconsin and it was in the 80s and humid today. My central air isn’t working and the technician can't get here to fix it until Friday.

I’m in my early 50s and pretty healthy and reasonably fit but I’m finding this really tough to bear. It’s 75 degrees inside the house and ceiling fans have been running.

I feel I’m too young to be so heat intolerant but ugh! I miss fall and winter and prefer the cooler months.

by Anonymousreply 73August 19, 2023 12:50 AM

Same.

And my local energy monopoly has become less and less reliable in recent years...

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 1:25 AM

I got a table fan ~20 inches high that I keep on my night stand facing my head. It helps me sleep when I can't run the ac. Ceiling fans are great but you need a breeze on you. Even just a shitty box fan which you can grab at a drugstore is better than nothing.

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 1:28 AM

It's your hot flashes, hon.

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 1:28 AM

Uh, ceiling fans create a breeze, donchaknow?

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2023 1:29 AM

I've trained myself to take cold showers. It helps.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 1:30 AM

I love the heat. OP, I am in MN,, and I was reveling in the near 90s today. But I know I’m in the minority.

For my comeuppance. I hate the cold. I figure I’m due to enjoy the weather since winter lasts six months here.

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2023 1:34 AM

Wear fewer clothes in the house.

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2023 1:35 AM

Feels terrible. Stinky.

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2023 1:38 AM

I live in LA and have not had to turn on the AC since last September. Since I moved out here 30 years ago, I have had to run the AC beginning in April. Today was 68° but I love it! I looked online at my Edison bill from two years ago – $933 for May was 2021. ' I prefer to sleep with the sliders open in my bedroom and a couple fans running. It has been heavenly. The only downside of this May Gray/June Gloom/marine layer is that it is humid. I feel sorry for OP. Heat and humidity together are brutal.

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2023 1:51 AM

OP here, sitting in underwear and hoping this cheap $100 oscillating Arctic Breeze thing that I picked up tonight doesn’t fall apart, tip over or squirt water all over my floors. It’s such a piece of garbage and I don’t think I’ll keep it. A 3-year-old who is a little slow could design better.

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2023 1:58 AM

It was 90 here in Michigan today but with low humidity, so I was quite comfortable. Heat doesn’t really bother me — but I work at home so I can keep shedding clothes if need be.

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2023 1:59 AM

OP, is it possible that you once had heat stroke? That will do it. Once you've had that you can become more heat intolerant. I had a bad episode on a golf course. I now must be careful not to get too overheated. I can become physically ill, throw up, pass out, etc. It can get serious.

by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2023 2:08 AM

Swamp ass feels so disgusting

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2023 2:08 AM

[quote]OP, is it possible that you once had heat stroke? That will do it. Once you've had that you can become more heat intolerant. I had a bad episode on a golf course. I now must be careful not to get too overheated.

Oh, wow. I wasn't very heat intolerant until a trip to Florida in the summertime when it was 95 degrees and felt like 95 percent humidity. I got a case of heat exhaustion and couldn't control my sweating even in a cool tub. Since then I've been quite heat intolerant.

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2023 2:19 AM

Mary! Try living in the Deep South.

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2023 2:21 AM

Try putting a bowl of ice in front of the fan.

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2023 2:29 AM

You should have your AC serviced annually and before hot weather season.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2023 2:46 AM

We are in the midst of climate change everywhere. Please take heat exhaustion and heatstroke seriously, it could save your life.

Symptoms of heat stroke include:

Confusion, altered mental status, slurred speech.

Loss of consciousness (coma)

Hot, dry skin or profuse sweating.

Seizures.

' Very high body temperature.

Fatal if treatment delayed.

Untreated, heatstroke can lead to organ failure, a coma or death.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2023 3:37 AM

Can't live without my high velocity fan. Ceiling fans don't seem to do anything but move around hot air. Maybe I got them running the wrong way though.

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2023 4:01 AM

Keep your shades drawn during the day, eat a lot of sugar free popscicles and shower when you get up, in the afternoon, and before bed. Or at least in the morning and night,

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2023 4:05 AM

The idea of retiring to Arizona or Florida or any hot spot has no appeal for me. I'd prefer the Pacific Northwest or any northern midwest state. The older I get, the less heat tolerant I've become.

by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2023 4:05 AM

I'm convinced that there's something in hibiscus that works to allow people to tolerate excessive heat in comfort. It's not simply the pleasant sour taste, there's something else at work. So my suggestion is iced hibiscus tea sweetened with lakanto monk fruit/erythritol non caloric sweetener.

Cucumber mint lime aqua fresqua is also wonderful to drink on a hot day, and easy to make

by Anonymousreply 22June 1, 2023 4:11 AM

The air conditioner in my car is broken ($500 to repair) and I'm in Georgia. It's hot as hell in the afternoons. When I come home my clothes are soaking wet.

by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2023 10:18 AM

You have to get your air conditioning in order. Or be smart about temperature control in your house or apartment.

I live in Switzerland and summers are too hot now, and apartments are not adapted to window units and central air is rare - only in very modern and expensive new construction.

So you need to play with blinds and shutters and fully airing out spaces when the sun sets, all night, and the shutting things down. It can be fine in a closed apartment until the late afternoon and then it might become uncomfortable. Fans, ice and fans, and also wearing cooling clothes. Just go buy some shirts make for sports - out of wicking fibre. You soak them in cold water and put them on. Instant radical cooling. After 45 minutes, you have to repeat. It will definitely get you through a heat wave. Seems awkward but you can get used it,

Schedule excusions in the late afternoon - to the forest, the pool, the lake with shade, etc. Or shopping. Go to your office or a public facility that is airconditioned. In recent heat waves even just escaping my heating apartment and getting in a car and blasting the air, and take a drive to the forest. It's almost always better in the forest.

Also do you know places that are almost always cool, naturally? A friend of mine has a grotto in his garden. Or a basement.

Be smart and active about staying cool.

by Anonymousreply 24June 1, 2023 10:25 AM

Move, OP.

by Anonymousreply 25June 1, 2023 10:34 AM

I don't see how I'm going to make it through the summah!

by Anonymousreply 26June 1, 2023 10:36 AM

You type fat.

by Anonymousreply 27June 1, 2023 10:41 AM

Every winter I am house shopping for homes in the south, looking no further north than North Carolina. Come June I am looking at houses in Maine and Nova Scotia.

by Anonymousreply 28June 1, 2023 10:43 AM

Houghton, MIchigan. Nice and cool

by Anonymousreply 29June 1, 2023 10:48 AM

OP Fret not — I am 35 and I dislike summer with a passion. Give me crisp autumn days

by Anonymousreply 30June 1, 2023 10:57 AM

[quote] OP here, sitting in underwear

I imagined it as I read it and ended up blushing / hot / bothered

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 31June 1, 2023 12:31 PM

We keep the sliders open with the A/C off until the temp gets to 85.

At 85 we close the sliders and turn the A/C on which is set at 77.

Southwest Florida is warm, but I'm more worried about deSanctimonius than the heat.

by Anonymousreply 32June 1, 2023 12:41 PM

R30 Autumn is the most beautiful season, Dutchie. It has the most comfortable weather and most beautiful color. I've always thought Vancouver Island would be a wonderful place to retire. If the temperature is in the high 70s, it's considered a heat wave! Average temp is 50s to mid-70s.

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2023 2:30 AM

I live in FL as well, if I kept my AC at 75 it would never shut off in the summer

by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2023 3:41 AM

OP, I think you need to avoid getting hot, in the first place. Can you wake up earlier, when the sun isn't so high in the sky? You might enjoy the cool mornings. Yes, you'd end up tired earlier. Hopefully, by the time you go to sleep, it's cooled off.

Drink iced water, take a mid-day shower. If you have good AC in your car, go for a ride - do a quick errand, listen to some music.

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2023 4:07 AM

Who are the crackheads posting on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2023 5:45 AM

Looking to buy something R36?

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2023 5:56 AM

You don't have AC, OP? Anything over 72 in the house is uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2023 6:46 AM

^^^I'm in Houston FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2023 6:48 AM

You are a man of great taste, R33.

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2023 12:33 PM

Check into a nice hotel with great AC, put up a personal ad, and enjoy yourself.

by Anonymousreply 41June 2, 2023 12:45 PM

I'm in SE Wisconsin also, Op. We went from a delightful spring to full-on summer overnight. I hate it as well. I function best at 40-60 DF which is why I love Fall and Spring. Winter is Ok as long as I can look at it from the comfort of my toasty house 🙂

by Anonymousreply 42June 2, 2023 1:08 PM

Op, glad your AC is getting fixed today. However 75 degrees should not be intolerable. You should see a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 43June 2, 2023 2:46 PM

Buy a window AC for your bedroom , and use that while your central AC is out. I had the same problem a few years ago and this was my solution until the tech arrived a week later. It's good to have on hand for emergencies such as this.

by Anonymousreply 44June 2, 2023 2:49 PM

Anything above 65* makes me miserable.

by Anonymousreply 45June 2, 2023 3:12 PM

I can only pile on. I hate the heat. Always have.

It's worse now; I have MS and most people with MS - but not all - are weakened severely by the heat. It also brings on nausea and bad headaches.

I'm wondering how much farther north I will have to move as our world gets hotter every year.

by Anonymousreply 46June 2, 2023 3:21 PM

R45

I personally draw the line at 15.

by Anonymousreply 47June 2, 2023 4:28 PM

For you r46

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 2, 2023 6:20 PM

R48

Thank you! Had not seen the map. Very kind of you to point it out!

by Anonymousreply 49June 2, 2023 6:52 PM

R42 I live in the same area. It hit 90 today, we're in the middle of a heatwave and it hasn't rained in over a week. And it's not even summer! You're right; we had no spring.

by Anonymousreply 50June 3, 2023 2:33 AM

R34, I keep mine at 80 here in the Ocala National Forest. But I live in a mobile home.

by Anonymousreply 51June 3, 2023 2:36 AM

BLUE Fort Lauderdale here. Originally from New York City for most of my life. It’s a fucking furnace out there with stifling humidity, and it’s been like this for a few weeks. God help me as peak heat is July/ August/ September. And to boot, I have the benefit of an ocean breeze, as I live two blocks away. I’ve spoken with old-timers and those who’ve lived here for 30-40+ years, and asked them; “is it me, or is he getting hotter year after year? They invariably say “no it’s not you, it’s getting hotter.” I think I’m going to get out of here in a few years. It’s hateful.

by Anonymousreply 52June 3, 2023 2:50 AM

Go to Home Depot and buy a window AC until your central AC is fixed. Then you can be cook and stop whining.

by Anonymousreply 53June 3, 2023 2:56 AM

*cool

by Anonymousreply 54June 3, 2023 2:56 AM

Get the fuck out of Racine.

by Anonymousreply 55June 3, 2023 3:01 AM

R55 Maybe he likes the ambiance.

by Anonymousreply 56June 3, 2023 3:50 AM

R44 -- I use a 5K BTU window AC in my bedroom every summer because it allows me to turn off my central AC and just cool the room where I sleep.

HUGE energy and money saver!

by Anonymousreply 57June 3, 2023 10:22 AM

OP here, and my central AC is fixed! Gloriously cool.

I stand by my statement that I *cannot* tolerate the heat—and I live two blocks from Lake Michigan!

And it’s not even officially summer.

Autumn can’t get here soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 58June 3, 2023 1:29 PM

^ You're lucky being close to the lake, I'm 50 miles inland where it's sweltering 😓

by Anonymousreply 59June 3, 2023 2:03 PM

[quote]I live two blocks from Lake Michigan!

Buck's a/c never would have broken down.

by Anonymousreply 60June 3, 2023 2:55 PM

He got his AC fixed in two days and yet made a thread about it.

by Anonymousreply 61June 3, 2023 10:35 PM

...oh the untold suffering!

by Anonymousreply 62June 3, 2023 10:53 PM

R55 - but have you tried the Kringle?!?

by Anonymousreply 63June 3, 2023 11:48 PM

[quote]The idea of retiring to Arizona or Florida or any hot spot has no appeal for me. I'd prefer the Pacific Northwest or any northern midwest state. The older I get, the less heat tolerant I've become

I lived in Arizona for 10+ years and my parents would sometimes come down (for way too long) during the winter from the mountain west.

The older they got, the less time they stayed because it hits high 80's in April in Phoenix, and they were like "NOPE". Even if it was still snowing back home, they still went back.

I'm surprised FL and AZ get the amount of retirees they do, because it is rough. It is easy to warm up (inside). A sweater and turn up the heat.

Cooling down ...

There is only so much AC can do, and it does not do shit as far as humidity goes when you leave the house.

by Anonymousreply 64June 3, 2023 11:54 PM

I think lots of people associate winter with shoveling snow and difficult driving - so they think a place that’s always warm is paradise. But most people don’t think very critically or logically. The reality is that sweltering and humid is a miserable way to live, and those days in the south vastly outnumber snow days in most places up north.

by Anonymousreply 65June 4, 2023 12:05 AM

We got a freak rain shower a while ago. It's been around 90* and no rain for two weeks around here. Air quality alerts, etc.

The birds are all tweeting and it feels surreal.

by Anonymousreply 66June 4, 2023 12:06 AM

Don't want to deal with obnoxiously high temperatures and stinking humidity

by Anonymousreply 67June 4, 2023 12:11 AM

I can feel the furnace like temps starting to back off here in south FL, it was in the low-mid 80s yesterday afternoon (albeit it was overcast).

by Anonymousreply 68August 18, 2023 10:38 PM

You probably have a weak or diseased heart, op. I’d get an appointment with your doctor next week.

by Anonymousreply 69August 18, 2023 10:41 PM

Geez, OP.

Buy one window unit - a 5000 BTU ac costs less than $200.

Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 70August 18, 2023 10:46 PM

My electric bill hovers around $100 a month, jumps to $200 in June and $300 July. Just got the latest bill and it's $390! It's never been that high before. The high temps plus a rate increase. Joy.

by Anonymousreply 71August 18, 2023 11:28 PM

It hit 110 degrees today in Dallas. Right now (6:36 pm CDT) it's 108F.

I work from home for the most part so I didn't even know it was that hot today. My sister (who lives in New England) called and told me how hot it was going to be. The air is set to 74 degrees. It's often too cold for me in the house.

by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2023 11:38 PM

My electric bill has doubled since May.

However, I am on leveled billing and my latest 12-month average is $71.

by Anonymousreply 73August 19, 2023 12:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!