Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

That sucking sound is Neil Patrick Harris's career being dragged straight down the shitter.

by Hulu's Drag Me to Dinner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2023 6:25 PM

I didn't think I'd like it, and I was right — only lasted 20 minutes.

I like Bianca del Rio and Murray Hill, but the show is so (badly) staged and completely scripted that they don't get a chance to do anything. An excruciating "comedy" bit where Bianca is making NPH move a couch around her dressing room did me in. And the drag queens, who may have interesting or clever acts in real life, are indistinguishable here in a stew of tired jokes about age and promiscuity.

It is beyond embarrassing for NPH and makes the drag queens look like the lowest-rent drags in a sad gay bar in Biloxi.

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2023 2:33 AM

Stupid

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2023 2:37 AM

Episode one was unwatchable, but I still watched it to give it a shot. Like R1 said, completely -- badly -- scripted, and doesn't give the queens a chance to do anything that isn't already written. However, on Reddit, someone had a link to a video of just the Alaska and Willam dinner party (from an episode I haven't watched) and it did have some funny moments. So maybe it depends on the guests. But you'd think that first ep guests Dela and Jinkx would be able to do something with the format if anyone could, and their ep was just dead air.

NPH and David Burtka are insufferable, but you knew that.

Murray Hill and Bianca are indeed trying their best.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2023 5:02 PM

It was dreadful

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2023 1:55 AM

Ouch.

[quote]What could have been neat 30-minute episodes drag on by pulling focus from the queens and shoehorning in corny backstage sketches with the judges, inexplicably failing to edit out the copious dead air and frequent awkward silences in every episode. Though the dinner party sets are cute, the lighting does the queens no favors and leaves everyone on set looking washed out. Considering the hour-and-a-half time limit is seemingly arbitrary as the show's "Handy Helpers" do most of the actual set decorating, the show cuts to Hill and Burtka explaining who the contestants are while the action unfolds around them. Instead of speaking to the queens directly as they're formulating ideas or utilizing confessionals to hear about the queens' friendships in their own words, Hill and Burtka stand off to the side and clumsily explain them to each other as if they were just learning who the queens are for the first time on camera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2023 2:44 AM

It was horrible. I couldn't get through the 1st episode and I love Jackie Beat and Sherrie Vine.

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2023 5:09 AM

are we sure this wasn't created AFTER the writer's strike?

by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2023 12:23 PM

Imagine an episode of Chopped where everyone is trying to be the funniest person in the room at all costs and it is painfully obvious no one can or has any interesting in cooking. In heels.

There you go.

It's a terrible, boring show, and I have a very high tolerance for camp.

by Anonymousreply 8June 6, 2023 12:51 PM

Drag has jumped the shark.

by Anonymousreply 9June 6, 2023 1:07 PM

I saw the episode with Ginger Minj, who I love. However, she had a WTF face on most of the time. The only good parts are when she broke from the script and improvised which she does so well.

by Anonymousreply 10June 6, 2023 1:23 PM

Zipping through a few episodes. They’re wasting Bianca. It could be so much funnier. Everyone looks uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2023 11:22 AM

Good. He makes my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2023 11:51 AM

Anything drag is tiresome and followed only by simple people. Idiots like R1 take it seriously. The whole drag thing needs to die and go away.

by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2023 2:55 PM

NPH seems to career from career to career.

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2023 3:00 PM

"... drag queens look like the lowest-rent drags in a sad gay bar in Biloxi."

Ah was only there once; walked in by mistake looking for pussy.

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2023 4:20 PM

Drags gay men down.

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2023 4:27 PM

Drag is dead.

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2023 4:33 PM

Drag is so tired, only radioactive, corporate advertisement brainwashed, basic gays are into it. They’re are probably 20 good drag queens left in the country, the rest are bad lipsyncers and grifters.

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2023 4:35 PM

Yaaaaaaaas queen!

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2023 4:43 PM

The Millennials started to kill drag; they took it and bastardized it, commercialized it.. Then the Z's came up and completely killed it. These makeup caked clowns that show up on television are creations for the types of people who gorge on reality television shows and for the suburban fraus and chubby white girls who bounce up and down and clap for them with amusement. Hopefully it will die out completely and maybe one day, real drag queens will once again popping up in bars and club to do what they used to do: entertain and have fun. Ru Paul has done more to harm gay men, literally, than any current politician on the scene.

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2023 6:23 PM

[quote]Ru Paul has done more to harm gay men, literally, than any current politician on the scene.

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2023 6:25 PM

[quote]That sucking sound is Neil Patrick Harris's career being dragged straight down the shitter.

I thought the same thing about Bianca Del Rio.

But not about Ms. "No Oxygen Left On The Set" Harris.

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2023 6:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!