Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FEUD: Nancy Reagan and Barbara Bush

The two women did not like each other. From my understanding Ron and George got along fine.

Barbara was old money New England who successfully transited to Texas life and later New York, China, and DC. She had a big family who she loved and they loved her back. Barbara was a Gemini who was viewed as too honest, very witty, and a penchant for speaking before thinking.

Nancy was new money West Coast who never grew to like DC. She also had a big family, but they were distant. Nancy was a Scorpio who had a reptation for being a spendthrift, too serious, and very calculating.

Which side are you on?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164June 11, 2023 7:12 PM

Can someone summarize the article.....DAMN.

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2023 6:20 PM

They were the Godzilla vs King Kong, the Frazier vs Ali of dueling power bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2023 6:26 PM

Talk about a Sophie's Choice.

But Babs for the win.

The only bigger whore as FLOTUS than Melania Trump was Nancy Raygun.

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2023 6:30 PM

Both of them were horrible.

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2023 6:33 PM

It's People fucking magazine, R1. Are you illiterate? WTF is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2023 6:34 PM

Plus Babs disapproved of Nan's giving out blowjobs like party favors for low-level acting gigs.

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2023 6:38 PM

Nancy was a big MGM star. They don't get any bigger in classic Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2023 6:39 PM

Fuck that noise, R7. The only thing classic of Miss Davis are her cock sucking skills.

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2023 6:43 PM

Why is a People article from April 2019 only now the subject of a thread?

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2023 6:43 PM

I love that DL is not taking the scrawny devil's side.

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2023 6:45 PM

Why can't you give me the respect that a Blow Job Queen is entitled to!!!!

by Anonymousreply 11May 31, 2023 6:49 PM

I'll side with Barbara Bush.

She's on $1 bill.

by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2023 7:01 PM

[quote]Nancy was a big MGM star. They don't get any bigger in classic Hollywood.

Hardly, r7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 31, 2023 7:12 PM

Nancy always suspected, probably rightly so, that the old CIA spook George Bush, had something to do with her husband's assasination attempt.

by Anonymousreply 14May 31, 2023 7:15 PM

It wasn't George, r14, it was...Jodie.

by Anonymousreply 15May 31, 2023 7:18 PM

Old man Bush. Behind both the JFK assassination & Reagan assassination attempt! That some real QAnon thinking.

by Anonymousreply 16May 31, 2023 7:32 PM

It's because OP forgot his internet password until his grand-nephew finally came over to reset it for him R9.

by Anonymousreply 17May 31, 2023 7:32 PM

Who's your favorite dictator, Hitler or Mussolini 🤔

by Anonymousreply 18May 31, 2023 7:35 PM

Two sides of the same corroded coin.

But it's comical these two harpies got to each other. So something bothered Babs' beautiful mind.

by Anonymousreply 19May 31, 2023 7:40 PM

I mean the Hinckleys were Bush family friends and John had a cushy "containment"

by Anonymousreply 20May 31, 2023 7:45 PM

Barbara was probably a straightforward pain in the ass, while Nancy was probably a passive-aggressive monster.

by Anonymousreply 21May 31, 2023 7:54 PM

This classic SNL skit nails it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 31, 2023 8:00 PM

I'd rather permanently check myself into the Betty Ford Clinic than have to choose between the Gorgon and the hussy.

by Anonymousreply 23May 31, 2023 8:01 PM

[quote]Nancy was a big MGM star. They don't get any bigger in classic Hollywood.

WHAT? "They don't get any bigger?!?!??" What in the fuck? Are you insane? You're seriously saying that Nancy Reagan was the biggest star "in classic Hollywood?"

What drugs did you take and how much did you take? Is there anyone we can call to check on you? She was a b-movie actress who only rose above obscurity by marrying her more famous husband, and even he wasn't "a big star."

You're insane.

by Anonymousreply 24May 31, 2023 8:03 PM

OP is full of shit. Nancy was not a Scorpio - she was born July 6, which makes her a Cancer. Everyone should read Al Fanken's accounts of his run-ins with Barbara Bush, and what a Bitch she was when the cameras weren't rolling.

by Anonymousreply 25May 31, 2023 8:06 PM

Nancy thought Barbara was an East Coast snob who looked down on everyone else. Barbara thought Nancy was tacky nouveau riche trash. They were both correct. And they were both nuclear cunts.

by Anonymousreply 26May 31, 2023 8:51 PM

Barbara Bush came from old money, and could probably trace her roots back to the Mayflower.

Nancy Reagan was the opposite (she married into money) - and felt inferior to Bush.

by Anonymousreply 27May 31, 2023 9:12 PM

Babs didn't suck every dick in Hollywood unlike Nancy

by Anonymousreply 28May 31, 2023 9:22 PM

So, of course Sarah Paulson will be playing Nancy, but I am still conflicted about Beanie Feldstein for Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 29May 31, 2023 9:26 PM

@r28, "Babs didn't suck every dick in Hollywood unlike Nancy"

She wouldn't even suck mine... To which I'm eternally grateful

by Anonymousreply 30May 31, 2023 9:40 PM

It's utter nonsense that POTUS and FLOTUS get along with or are friends with VPOTUS and SLOTUS...

Barbara Bush and Nancy Reagan were completely different...as others have said BB was Old Money, WASP, New England preppy transplanted to Texas, raising a large family. You can picture her piling the kids into the back of the station wagon to drive to Maine every summer. Supported her husband's political and diplomatic career

NR was cocktail circuit, lady who lunched...raised in genteel poverty until her mother married a well-off doctor. She had a marginally successful Hollywood career. Married a divorced actor whose heyday was behind him. Schmoozes with old Hollywood and rich cats like Annenbergs and Bloomingdales. Supports her husband's political career. Never the cookie-baking Mom.

Politics drove the Reagans and Bushes together. I remember with Clinton, they made a big deal of the "real friendship" between the Clintons and Gores...Bullshit.

The next Bushes and Cheneys weren't friends. Nor were the Obamas and Bidens, although I can see Michelle Obama being friends with Jill Biden.

Politics brings these couples together.

I went to school and lived in DC during the Reagan and Bush years. the Regans ate off trays in front of the tv in the White House. The Bushes were known to go out to dinner. They were more familiar with DC and NOVA. They helped to popularize a new (then) Italian restaurant in downtown DC, and they frequented a Chinese restaurant in Northern Virginia.

And at the time, no one thought Baby and Nancy were friends. Leaving politics aside, Barbara Bush was more relatable to most people.

by Anonymousreply 31May 31, 2023 10:03 PM

Ryan Murphy, I know you're on DL...make this TV show.

by Anonymousreply 32May 31, 2023 10:39 PM

Nancy Reagan tried so hard with Don’t Say No, which was ineffective, and never really got any thanks. Even though she played the beautiful, glamorous wife, she was always seen as a spendthrift arriviste.

Barbara, on the other hand, had a monthly vocabulary page in Reader’s Digest and read a few books to school children and was widely applauded as America’s grandmother. She was old money and plain as a post, but didn’t care if it looked like she ordered her dresses from the Vermont Country Store catalogue housedress section.

Because of her less-than-auspicious beginnings, Nancy felt she needed to be surrounded by very wealthy people like the Bloomingdales and the Annenbergs, even though one was trade and the other sprung from the publisher of a jumped-up, bookie newspaper.

Both had what the other didn’t and jealousy is a bitter pill to swallow when you are compelled to interact regularly. With all things considered, Barbara wins by a country mile simply.

by Anonymousreply 33May 31, 2023 10:40 PM

Oh come on. Babs was not some beloved figure. It is true that Nancy was seen, correctly, as a stuck up bitch who cared about you only if you were rich or could somehow advance her husband's political career (and even then, you better watch out if you were in that Administration and didn't measure up in any way).

But Babs was old school bitch. Dowdy old money bitch, but just as likely to step over a dying homeless veteran, and never anybody who gave a shit about those who weren't in her set. Her famous "this is working out nicely for them" comment said it all, and to nobody's surprise.

by Anonymousreply 34May 31, 2023 10:46 PM

OP I'm Team Cunt

by Anonymousreply 35May 31, 2023 10:53 PM

Meryl Streep as Nancy

Glenn Close as Barbara

by Anonymousreply 36May 31, 2023 10:55 PM

Maybe it was all simply hagiography that remember from the time of her death but “Barbara Bush America’s Grandmother” yields a plethora of results from Google.

by Anonymousreply 37May 31, 2023 10:59 PM

Team Barb

“You can pick up and hug AIDS babies and people who have the HIV virus…there is a need for compassion”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 31, 2023 11:00 PM

I thought Nancy was from Philadelphia and her father was a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 39May 31, 2023 11:01 PM

Hate them BOTH. Don't ask dumb questions.

by Anonymousreply 40May 31, 2023 11:02 PM

I wish Nancita had been alive and Babs was well during the Trump administration. They would have joined cunt forces against that tramp Melania.

by Anonymousreply 41May 31, 2023 11:06 PM

Interestingly, both women had the same alma mater, Smith, which when they both went there was considered academically the best women's college in the US.

by Anonymousreply 42May 31, 2023 11:06 PM

Why should I waste my beautiful mind on a topic such as this?

by Anonymousreply 43May 31, 2023 11:10 PM

Just remembered. There was a leather/BDSM store in lower Manhattan/Greenwich Village in the early 90s. You checked your bag/belongings when you went in. The ticket you received was a piece of cardboard with writing on it. One said "Barbara's Bush."

by Anonymousreply 44May 31, 2023 11:40 PM

No one is defending Nancy lol

by Anonymousreply 45June 1, 2023 3:09 AM

^ Ok... Nancy could suck the chrome off a Buick. Barbara LOOKED like a Buick

How's that?

by Anonymousreply 46June 1, 2023 4:18 AM

No one nailed Nancy as well as Joan Didion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 1, 2023 5:50 AM

^ I never realized what a giant bobble-head Nancy was 😳

by Anonymousreply 48June 1, 2023 8:08 AM

I’ve always wondered if Barbara Bush has a full grown or shaved bush.

by Anonymousreply 49June 1, 2023 8:31 AM

Her multiple prescription pill addictions helped keep her slim 'n trim, r48. I'll link in next post because it's a verboten source, but it's a good summary of Karen Tumulty's book about Nancy. She's an excellent Washington Post journalist, not some tabloid type.

[QUOTE]The former first lady had been taking so many 'uppers and downers' during her term that the White House physician had to inform President Ronald Reagan that his wife had a 'problem.'

by Anonymousreply 50June 1, 2023 8:49 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 1, 2023 8:51 AM

Huge I tell you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 1, 2023 9:00 AM

I think they were both used to running the show

by Anonymousreply 53June 1, 2023 1:11 PM

This poll is useless without a “neither” to vote for. Or at least Vivian Vance.

by Anonymousreply 54June 1, 2023 1:23 PM

@r51, "Nancy Reagan was secretly hooked on pills "

Tell me about it... 🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 1, 2023 3:52 PM

If you want the real scoop on Nancy Reagan, you just have to read her daughter Patti's 'fictional novel' HOMEFRONT from the mid-80s (the one which embarrassed Ron and Nancy). In the book - based on her own life - Patti describes the matriarch of the family as a "pill popping alcoholic who beat her children with hairbrushes and had extramarital affairs on her husband, the President".

This is when Patti became 'estranged' from the family, and didn't make up with Nancy until her deathbed (she had to make sure she was in the will).

by Anonymousreply 56June 1, 2023 5:06 PM

I'll take an in-your-face cunt like Nancy over a stealth cunt like Barbara any day.

Mommy's cuntiness was out there from day one, for all the world to see. Underneath all the glamour, her hardscrabble roots were painfully obvious. She was there to kick ass, take names, and avenge her enemies, just like any small town white-trash trailer park queen. Other than her husband, no one was safe from her nastiness, be it her own children and stepchildren, Rosalyn Carter, Raisa Gorbachev, Barbara Bush, or the various members of the Reagan Administration whose lives she made a living hell.

Barbara, in contrast, hid her cuntiness behind the matronly appearance and the genteel New England demeanor. Make no mistake, though; she was every bit the raging cunt that Nancy was. Most of the American public wouldn't have believed it during the Reagan/Bush years, but eventually the truth came out.

by Anonymousreply 57June 1, 2023 5:13 PM

Team Bar.

Bar was a bitch. Nancy was a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 58June 1, 2023 5:25 PM

Where's the third poll option? I hated these cunts.

by Anonymousreply 59June 1, 2023 5:36 PM

Required listening for anyone who knows the Patti Davis/Nancy Reagan story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 1, 2023 8:34 PM

Cunt & Cunter

by Anonymousreply 61June 1, 2023 8:40 PM

R42, not to split hairs, but in the women's college sphere, Radcliffe, Bryn Mawr and Wellesley have always been considered a cut above Smith.

Not incidentally, I doubt either of these dead mean bitches would have been admitted to Smith if they had been screened by today's hyper-competitive standards.

by Anonymousreply 62June 1, 2023 9:02 PM

What is the sound of two twats flapping?

by Anonymousreply 63June 1, 2023 9:09 PM

Nancy was a duplicitous deep throated whore.

She also hated Raisa Gorbachev. "Who does that broad think she is?".

by Anonymousreply 64June 1, 2023 9:21 PM

R56, the relationship between Patti & her mother warmed up considerably before Nancy’s deathbed; they grew closer following Ronnie’s Alzheimer’s diagnosis. At the time of Nancy’s death, though, Patti & Skipper were said to be estranged.

by Anonymousreply 65June 1, 2023 10:43 PM

"Barbara Bush’s 1989 DC AIDS-hospice visit changed the HIV conversation"

A decade too late, scrotum face.

by Anonymousreply 66June 1, 2023 11:02 PM

@r64, "She also hated Raisa Gorbachev. "Who does that broad think she is?".

To be honest everyone wanted to punch Raisa, she was the Russian version of Nancy, but oddly she seemed to get along with Babs. Perhaps they bonded over their mutual hate for Nancy 🤔

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 1, 2023 11:40 PM

Nancy and Bar really had nothing to do with each other. They were only in the same room together when it was absolutely necessary, like a White House State Dinner and that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 68June 2, 2023 12:03 AM

I was always secretly envious of Barbara’s bush.

by Anonymousreply 69June 2, 2023 2:39 AM

Nancy was a petty bitch. Barbara kicked her kids off the tennis court so the Secret Service could play. No contest.

by Anonymousreply 70June 2, 2023 2:45 AM

They could always work together for a good, cultural cause.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 2, 2023 2:48 AM

Nancy Fuckin' Reagan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 2, 2023 2:49 AM

I get that Nancy had a loathsome personality & checkered past, but - especially for someone who was thought to be the driving force of her husband's hard-right conservate evolution - she doesn't get enough credit here for liberalizing her husband. Mostly in relationship to the then-Soviet Union.

by Anonymousreply 73June 2, 2023 4:06 AM

Nancy was supposed to be pretty gay friendly, no? Jerry Zipkin and Rock Hudson were among her closest friends.

by Anonymousreply 74June 2, 2023 5:12 AM

Barbara Bush would be a good name for a James Bond girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 75June 2, 2023 5:39 AM

[QUOTE]she doesn't get enough credit here for liberalizing her husband. Mostly in relationship to the then-Soviet Union.

Hmm, tell us more, sir ...😒

by Anonymousreply 76June 2, 2023 6:07 AM

I liked them both in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

by Anonymousreply 77June 2, 2023 9:24 AM

R75 - Nancy Reagan may have had gay friends, but I remember Barbara doing this . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 2, 2023 9:42 AM

And there's this . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 2, 2023 9:44 AM

[quote] I wish Nancita had been alive and Babs was well during the Trump administration. They would have joined cunt forces against that tramp Melania.

I wonder.

The Reagan’s seem exactly the type to go along with the Trump nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 80June 2, 2023 10:06 AM

Gasoline + match for the both of them

by Anonymousreply 81June 2, 2023 10:38 AM

Bar Bush was also very pro planned parenthood from way back in the day. They raised money for it and it was one of her pet causes. Her husband sis too until he felt he had to shut up if he was going to run on a conservative ticket. Bar just ignored him and kept doing her thing with PP. She had balls. Team Bar.

by Anonymousreply 82June 2, 2023 10:52 AM

R74, Rock Hudson was not a close friend, but designer James Galanos and decorator Ted Graber were.

by Anonymousreply 83June 2, 2023 10:56 AM

[quote]She had balls.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 84June 2, 2023 11:25 AM

She had spunk. Lots of it.

by Anonymousreply 85June 2, 2023 11:28 AM

OP- Barbara Bush was not from New England. She grew up in Rye , New York.

by Anonymousreply 86June 2, 2023 12:02 PM

Two very different women. One a classic social climber and the other couldn’t care less about that but was every bit the upper middle class WASP (from Westchester if you call that New England). One who schemes to get posh and the other the stern matriarch who couldn’t really care less about posh even though most of her life was.

I don’t think either were very cozy but Bush was closer to a good woman in the classic sense of her generation. Nancy was more courtesan, and not a nice one like Mrs O was.

by Anonymousreply 87June 2, 2023 12:33 PM

Bar was everything Nancy wanted to be.

Nancy was everything Bar was glad she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 88June 2, 2023 12:57 PM

Let's not forget this;

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 2, 2023 2:27 PM

Babs was very masculine. I always assumed she was a closeted lesbian. Nancy, on the other hand, didn't strike me as a sexual woman at all, but simply a woman who knew how to use sex for her own wily purposes.

by Anonymousreply 90June 2, 2023 2:54 PM

Hmph... lace-curtain Irish:

"Anne Frances Robbins was born on July 6, 1921, at Sloane Hospital for Women in Uptown Manhattan. She gave her birth date as July 6, 1923, a date cited through most of her life. She was of English descent. She was the only child of Kenneth Seymour Robbins (1892–1972), a farmer turned car salesman, and his actress wife, Edith Prescott Luckett (1888–1987).

Robbins lived her first two years in Flushing, Queens, a neighborhood of New York City, in a two-story house on Roosevelt Avenue between 149th and 150th Streets. Her parents separated soon after her birth and were divorced in 1928. After their separation, her mother traveled the country to pursue acting jobs and Robbins was raised in Bethesda, Maryland, for six years by her aunt, Virginia Luckett, and uncle, Audley Gailbraith.

In 1929, her mother married Loyal Edward Davis (1896–1982), a prominent conservative neurosurgeon who moved the family to Chicago. He formally adopted her in 1938, and she would always refer to him as her father. At the time of the adoption, her name was legally changed to Nancy Davis.

She attended the Girls' Latin School of Chicago (describing herself as an average student), from 1929, until she graduated in 1939, and later attended Smith College in Massachusetts, where she majored in English and drama, graduating in 1943."

by Anonymousreply 91June 2, 2023 3:32 PM

Longevity runs in her family.

Her mother died at 99.

Her father died at 80 (in 1972 (at a time when hitting your 50s and 60s was an accomplishment).

by Anonymousreply 92June 2, 2023 3:49 PM

I think you understate the longevity of those adults living in 1972, R92.

by Anonymousreply 93June 2, 2023 5:27 PM

Nancy was hardly a major star in Hollywood. A barely attractive “actress” with a fivehead to rival JVDB or Rihanna’s and piano legs. People who think she was, I hate to break it to you, she was a nothing. Marriage to Ronnie lifted her status somewhat, but not by much.

by Anonymousreply 94June 2, 2023 6:34 PM

Frank Sinatra used to call Nancita a “dope with fat ankles,” until he suddenly decided to support Reagan in 1970. Then she became “Nancy With the Reagan Face” and he would fuck her at the White House.

by Anonymousreply 95June 2, 2023 8:51 PM

R93- Exactly.

1972 is NOT 1872.

by Anonymousreply 96June 2, 2023 8:55 PM

R82 - Her husband earned the nickname "Rubbers" in Texas for his support of PP.

So sick and sad how much our society has regressed in some respects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 2, 2023 9:09 PM

I don't see (or recall) much evidence of a "feud.".

There are plenty of people I hate, dislike, disagree with vehemently on many issues, have absolutely no respect for...I just don't knowingly criss paths with them. If we end up 8n the same place and same time I give the.m8nimum acknowledge and don't get into a hair-ripping, titty-pulling situation like some high eyebrowed bitch in a film noir.

by Anonymousreply 98June 2, 2023 9:25 PM

R93 R96 Americans born in 1892, like Nancy's father, had an average life expectancy of 46.3 years.

You're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 2, 2023 10:00 PM

R5, in 1983, Jeff Goldblum's character in The Big Chill worked for People as a writer and said he tried not to write things that take no longer to read than a person needs for an average crap.

by Anonymousreply 100June 2, 2023 10:04 PM

Sometimes SNL just nails it.

The writers write the sketch that everyone is thinking.

This is one of those times.

Sad that both actors are gone now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 2, 2023 10:08 PM

Welcome to the thread, R101.

by Anonymousreply 102June 2, 2023 10:11 PM

R22 = Bar

R101 = Nancy

by Anonymousreply 103June 2, 2023 10:12 PM

I remember that r100, and People actually used to have "long" articles back then.

by Anonymousreply 104June 2, 2023 10:13 PM

Richard Nixon said that Barbara Bush was "mean." I read that in Kitty Kelley's book about the Bush family.

I'd say Nancy was worse, if I had to choose. But I didn't admire or like either one of them.

George the 1st had a mistress named Jennifer that traveled with him to Japan. Yes, *that* Japan trip. The trip where he vomited on the lap of Japan's Prime Minister.

by Anonymousreply 105June 3, 2023 12:27 AM

R105 did Kelley write the tell-all on Nancy too?

by Anonymousreply 106June 3, 2023 12:33 AM

Yes Kelley also wrote the Nancy Reagan book - the one that insinuated that she & Sinatra were fucking in the White House.

And she also mentioned Nancy striking daughter Patti with a hair brush - not to mention Nancy's obsession with astrology and how that sometimes dictated White House decisions.

Her Bush book was a little more "serious" because it dealt with a lot of the Bush family history - although there are certainly enjoyable anecdotes about Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 107June 3, 2023 12:41 AM

R94, Ronnie was planning to propose to another woman when Nancy informed him that Patti was in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 108June 3, 2023 12:47 AM

Barbara Bush and her husband were moderate..back when that was acceptable for the GOP. She supported gay rights and abortion.

I have friends in Maine who knew her and say she was a typical old money Yankee bitch…but she gave a lot of time and financial support to good causes there so everyone forgave her for being a bit of a cunt. My friend is a doctor who worked at a hospital she supported. Think a wing is named after her there. He said everyone quaked when she visited, but she wasn’t a slacker. Put in the hours, visited patients and was their best fundraiser.

I’m team Bar. Nancy was just a flat out cunt who didn’t do anything to support anyone but herself. Yeah, she had a few gay friends but never lifted a finger to support the community. It was her husband who refused to utter the word AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 109June 3, 2023 12:50 AM

Are these two old broads at it again?

by Anonymousreply 110June 3, 2023 12:50 AM

R109 Barbara might have been a bitch, but her actions spoke louder than her words.

by Anonymousreply 111June 3, 2023 1:20 AM

[QUOTE]I have friends in Maine who knew her and say she was a typical old money Yankee bitch…

Was she a bitch for good reason or just had a generally mean and snappy demeanor and came down on people for ridiculous or non-existent reasons? When she dismissed Al Franken he'd been goading her doing imitations of her son. I like Al, but can't blame her. Can't blame her for her dislike of Nancy.

Her aura, bearing and appearance certainly were intimidating, but she sounds like a "What you see is what you get" type who didn't leave people guessing. Forthright.

by Anonymousreply 112June 3, 2023 1:21 AM

R112 I think Babs just called it as she saw it.

by Anonymousreply 113June 3, 2023 1:23 AM

It may be hard to believe now, R109, but there was a time, pre-Roe, when abortion was not a partisan issue. Many Democrats, especially Catholics, were anti-abortion, while many Republicans were in favor of liberalizing abortion rights. In his first term, arch-conservative California Governor Ronald Reagan signed into law the nation’s most liberalized abortion law in the country.

by Anonymousreply 114June 3, 2023 1:32 AM

Kelly's books on Nancy Reagan was hilarious. I enjoyed every page. Her 'Bush' book wasn't as humorous, but it was interesting (same with 'The Royals'). Her 'Oprah' book was a snoozefest.

I wonder why she hasn't done more books since 'Oprah' ? I know she had researched Johnny Carson while he was alive, planning to write a book on him. When he died, she decided not continue with the project.

by Anonymousreply 115June 3, 2023 1:47 AM

Kelley is in her 80s. She may not feel up to it. The Nancy book was great. I read it a couple of times. I believe it's through the book she became known as the BJ Queen for the description of a road trip from LA to AZ. Peter Lawford and another actor switched driving duties while Nance rode shotgun performing services. She interviewed a movie executive's assistant (I can't recall the name, but he was well-known) who said there would always be a used condom in the waste paper basket after her visits.

by Anonymousreply 116June 3, 2023 2:08 AM

[quote] "I love that DL is not taking the scrawny devil's side."

Same. But DL usually DOES side with the thinner one in any given situation. Despite being anything but thin ourselves. Wishful thinking? Self-loathing? So I also applaud the general consensus. And fuck Nancy Reagan. She died on my 36th birthday.

by Anonymousreply 117June 3, 2023 2:38 AM

Interesting comments that overwhelmingly favor Barbara.

I've always thought Barbara was an unkept bitch and always admired Nancy's style. I may be the lone commenter who would side with Nancy. The Bushes would have been NOTHING without the Reagans.

by Anonymousreply 118June 3, 2023 3:04 AM

Choose: The Blow Witch or Leviathan!!!

by Anonymousreply 119June 3, 2023 3:09 AM

R104 or they took longer dumps.

by Anonymousreply 120June 3, 2023 3:11 AM

DLers may not like it, but it is Nancy who will be the one who goes down in history as one of the (few) consequential First Ladies.

by Anonymousreply 121June 3, 2023 4:18 AM

Also, because I am trying to ruthlessly catch myself judging other people and then *stop it*, I am reminded of….who the fuck am I to judge Babs cuntiness anyway? She had a hard life kids. Lost a baby to cancer. Had a husband having an affair in public with his assistant. Just those two alone cause massive trauma and potential scars. Who am I to judge her?

Plus the world is sooooo much more colorful with these cranky old battle axes like Babs. She probably had a lot of unhealed trauma that came out as sarcasm which is masked rage. I suspect she had raw wounds that were never expressed, ergo queen of cuntiness. But hey, like we’ve all said, she showed up where it counts in most ways.

Nancy was clearly a narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 122June 3, 2023 5:08 AM

[QUOTE]but it is Nancy who will be the one who goes down in history as one of the (few) consequential First Ladies.

How so?

by Anonymousreply 123June 3, 2023 6:40 AM

I will never forget that look Nancy gave Ronnie's (adopted) son Michael at the funeral.

Nancy and Patti and Ron Jr are throwing themselves on the casket and Michael shows up and Nancy turns and gives him this 'what the fuck are you doing here?' look; as if she were saying, "WHO are you?"

What a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 124June 3, 2023 7:06 AM

R115, This book by Carson’s longtime lawyer and friend Henry Bushkin, is filled with lots of juicy dish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125June 3, 2023 9:26 AM

There was never a feud. They were just two very different types of broads who had absolutely nothing in common. I wouldn't doubt that Barbara looked at Nancy as show business trash, and I imagine Nancy was jealous of Barbara's pedigree and wealth. The Reagans were not the sort of people the Bush's would have had any desire to be friends with.

The Reagans relied on friends for their very existence after they left the White House. A group of friends had to buy them that beautiful house they lived in for the rest of their lives located in a prime Bel Air neighborhood right behind the Chartwell/Kirkeby mansion (the Beverly Hillbillies mansion). By the time they left the White House Reagan was entering senility (later alzheimer's{ so years of making millions doing speaking engagements was not in the cards. He made $2 million for a speech he did in Japan not long after they left Washington and got hell for it. And 8 years of government service probably left them cash poor. It takes a constant infusion off big money or a lot of charity to live the way they lived.

by Anonymousreply 126June 3, 2023 11:11 AM

Every time there was a meeting with her staff to plan a state dinner, the first thing Nancy would do was cross off George and Barbara’s names from the guest list.

by Anonymousreply 127June 3, 2023 12:24 PM

[quote]DLers may not like it, but it is Nancy who will be the one who goes down in history as one of the (few) consequential First Ladies.

Consequential how?

Not that I think Babs Bush was more consequential, nor that any First Lady has any duty to consequence. "Wife of" isn't a position imbued with much expectation to my mind: keep your nose clean, stay somewhat busy at something, and smile and wave and shake hands and called upon. That's about it and really it shouldn't be any more than that.

Not everyone is a sort of outwardly tireless President's ambassador to his own people as Eleanor Roosevelt was. Not everyone has a not-too-controversial cause célebre like Lady Bird Johnson had for conservation and preservation programs that have a very long reach still.

I hate the fussing over first ladies as though there is a competition. They provide occasional light fodder for the media and not much else in most cases, and no more.

by Anonymousreply 128June 3, 2023 1:14 PM

[quote] Every time there was a meeting with her staff to plan a state dinner, the first thing Nancy would do was cross off George and Barbara’s names from the guest list.

Proof? I don't believe that for a second.

by Anonymousreply 129June 3, 2023 1:15 PM

R116- I thought Peter Lawford was a HOMO

by Anonymousreply 130June 3, 2023 1:23 PM

R33- For all that Babs was NO Eleanor Roosevelt.

by Anonymousreply 131June 3, 2023 1:40 PM

After eight years of Nancy and her social-climbing phoniness, I think the public welcomed Barbara and her no-nonsense / no-frills personality in the WH.

by Anonymousreply 132June 3, 2023 1:47 PM

[quote] Consequential how?

One, she was among the most powerful First Ladies in history. Two, to the extent that Ronnie continues to get credit by historians - of all stripes - for his role in ending the Cold War, Nancy will get credit for pushing her husband to work with Gorbachev.

by Anonymousreply 133June 3, 2023 2:27 PM

R129, That has been repeated numerous times in print and in interviews by biographers Kitty Kelley and Susan Page, you illiterate cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134June 3, 2023 2:39 PM

[quote] From my understanding Ron and George got along fine.

Both twits, so hardly surprising.

by Anonymousreply 135June 3, 2023 2:44 PM

[QUOTE]One, she was among the most powerful First Ladies in history.

How so? Because she consulted with an astrologer to find the most fortuitous times to schedule Ronnie's meetings...

[QUOTE]Nancy will get credit for pushing her husband to work with Gorbachev.

Thank goodness she was around to override the National Security Council's advice! Too bad her efforts didn't stop the Iran Contra affair, though.

Speaking of Gorbachev -- Nancy vs. Raise. Now, that was a feud. MEOW!

by Anonymousreply 136June 3, 2023 2:48 PM

^Raisa, not Raise

by Anonymousreply 137June 3, 2023 2:50 PM

R136, if you read any account of the Reagan administration, you will see that Nancy was the unofficial head of personnel.

by Anonymousreply 138June 3, 2023 2:55 PM

The AP headline is one for the ages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 3, 2023 3:01 PM

R133 After a history of well-respected First Ladies, no matter the public opinions of their spouse, Nancy Reagan went down in history as one of the most ridiculed First Ladies in history. She brought it on herself, and her son's and daughter's very public estrangement from her certainly didn't help. She was rivaled 30 years later by Melania.

by Anonymousreply 140June 3, 2023 3:02 PM

R140, I know you’re invested in your cartoonish caricature of Nancy Reagan, but it just doesn’t comport with the burgeoning historical record. And trust me, I’m no Reagan acolyte.

by Anonymousreply 141June 3, 2023 3:23 PM

Contemporaneous accounts by partisans are not always reliable. See Biden, senility.

by Anonymousreply 142June 3, 2023 3:34 PM

Nancy was a spendthrift and kept the White House "in style."

Barbara brought back "old fashioned values" in a very progressive way.

by Anonymousreply 143June 3, 2023 3:40 PM

[quote]Richard Nixon said that Barbara Bush was "mean." I read that in Kitty Kelley's book about the Bush family.

On the secret tapes, he said of her (when her husband was head of the CIA), "Now there's a woman who knows how to hate." I think that always increased my respect for her.

by Anonymousreply 144June 3, 2023 3:45 PM

George HW Bush's mother once told an interviewer she was afraid of Barbara Bush.

by Anonymousreply 145June 3, 2023 3:46 PM

[quote] Not that I think Babs Bush was more consequential, nor that any First Lady has any duty to consequence.

A lot you know!

by Anonymousreply 146June 3, 2023 3:48 PM

Maybe Barbara Bush was such a BITCH because when your looks are gone ( she never had looks to begin with) sometimes the only power you have is being a BITCH.

by Anonymousreply 147June 3, 2023 4:00 PM

Speaking of the Wilsons, I wonder if Reagan’s presidency will undergo the same downward reassessment of historians as befell Wilson. Until recent decades, Wilson was a consensus top five president in presidential rankings.

by Anonymousreply 148June 3, 2023 4:02 PM

Here’s a little story that should make you sigh About two unhappy dames. Let us call them Nancy X and Barbara Y, Which are not their real names!

Now Barbara.had the class, but Nancy had the ass, Which Barbara used to envy so much. But Barbara had security, with no sign of impurity, Which made our Nancy just a such and such.

Given their advantages, which they didn’t earn, It’s amazing how they got so far. With latitude and attitude, and money to burn, Their hearts got stuck in self-centered tar.

by Anonymousreply 149June 3, 2023 4:03 PM

Betty & Laura seem to be the only Republican First Ladies in my long lifetime who have escaped much derision.

by Anonymousreply 150June 3, 2023 4:06 PM

R147 but you were hot once Vera! You can't understand. And your husband had it comin'!

by Anonymousreply 151June 3, 2023 4:10 PM

R150 I think because Betty was vulnerably honest about her flaws and Laura is really a class act.

by Anonymousreply 152June 3, 2023 4:10 PM

Wasn't Betty criticized for being too outspoken?

by Anonymousreply 153June 3, 2023 4:13 PM

^ By republicans, not democrats.

by Anonymousreply 154June 3, 2023 4:15 PM

R141 Sorry, Patti. I know you publicly made up with Mom on her deathbed (to make sure you were included in the will), but we can't forget how you were involved in ridiculing your mother in public, which has also gone on historical record.

by Anonymousreply 155June 3, 2023 6:05 PM

You'd never see Ron and Nancy laugh and look at each other like George and Barbara did.

Especially IN PUBLIC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156June 3, 2023 6:11 PM

How come the Bushes (George and Babs) didn't just name their son Junior, IE, exactly the same name. Why did they leave out the "Herbert"?

by Anonymousreply 157June 3, 2023 7:05 PM

The reek of Barbara's crotch rot probably offended Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 158June 3, 2023 7:11 PM

Maybe the same reason, R157, Ronald Wilson Reagan named his son Ronald Prescott Reagan. Interestingly, the father of George Herbert Walker Bush was named Prescott.

by Anonymousreply 159June 3, 2023 10:19 PM

Some of you are holding Bar’s cuntitude against her, which surprises me.

It is a feature, not a bug.

by Anonymousreply 160June 3, 2023 10:47 PM

R108, how Stephanie Forrester of her.

by Anonymousreply 161June 4, 2023 4:21 AM

I can't find that amusingly bitchy quote Barbara made about turning Nancy's beauty room into her office. Anyone know it?

by Anonymousreply 162June 4, 2023 12:09 PM

They were both cunts.

by Anonymousreply 163June 4, 2023 9:45 PM

And they would have loved DL.

by Anonymousreply 164June 11, 2023 7:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!