Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Our most popular national beer may soon be Modelo Especial

So start pronouncing it “cerveza”, kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 9, 2023 12:48 AM

Yay, another beer thread, perfect content for a gay message board.

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2023 3:49 PM

¡En Español, por favor, r1!

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2023 3:51 PM

I wonder if this is immigration panic or racist panic?

Either way - resentful old white people are to blame.

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2023 3:53 PM

Care to elaborate, R3?

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2023 4:03 PM

Modelo is an Anheuser-Busch beer.

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2023 4:37 PM

R3, I'm curious too. Why would a resentful old white racist who hates immigrants choose a very Mexican beer, made by A-B, out of all the hundreds of beers on the shelf?

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2023 4:39 PM

LOL. Sales are plummeting so much AB may have to close one or two plants, putting a lot of white males permanently out of a great paying job.

Great job of showing those damned wokesters who is boss. The only ones suffering the most from this debacle are blue collar workers the boycott was instigated by.

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2023 5:34 PM

R7 thinks the people boycotting are all hillbillies. Cute. Typical.

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2023 5:37 PM

R8 = faux populist man of the people, just like Trump, Cruz, Hawley, DeSantis, ad nauseum.

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2023 6:10 PM

Oh no! Where will bros get their diet beer now?!

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2023 6:36 PM

[quote]thinks the people boycotting are all hillbillies.

No, they're all exurban middle management fucks with a huge car and a wife who hates them and have their whole identity wrapped up in their gun and their beer and their feeling of oppression since they can't see someone just like them on TV.

by Anonymousreply 11May 31, 2023 6:37 PM

𝑌𝑜𝑢𝑟 most beer popular maybe. I still think they all taste bad.

by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2023 6:46 PM

Oh, R9, it's you, the poster who thinks anyone who doesn't agree with every fucking thing you say is "just like Trump...".

So many of us have been called Trumptards, "just like Trump..." etc. that it is very hard to believe you have been around here long enough to have experienced live-viewing election night, SOTU address, debate, or any other political happening on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2023 4:02 AM

Chik Fil-A just hired a diversity manager, and you know what the next step is.

[bold]NONBINARY WAFFLE POTATO FRIES.[/bold]

Time to crank up the wingnut outrage machine again!

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2023 4:27 AM

If Bud Light is removed as a brand who would really care anyway? And would it change anyone’s mind?

I can’t think that a trans rights activist would say: “I used to be supportive of trans people, but the non-availability of a beer I never drank has made me reconsider.”

If anything it will only make their views more entrenched.

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2023 4:35 AM

So they hate gay people more than Mexicans.

Nice to know where we stand.

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2023 5:13 AM

[quote]So they hate gay people more than Mexicans.

Dylan theoretically being a lesbian because she recently stated she likes women wasn't known at the time the marketing disaster started, so it wasn't about "gay people". Also, if consumers had known that she liked women, that would have caused many to consider her to be straight.

The only thing that can be said for sure about what happened is that apparently America hates Dylan.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2023 5:24 AM

R18 Of course it was about gay people. The same people boycotting Bud Light will be the same people who’ll boycott any company doing pride things in June - even if they only mention gay people and say nothing about trans.

Honestly, gay people who think these idiots only have a problem with trans are dumb. They hate us all just as much and you’ll realise it after you’re done helping them and they turn on you.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2023 5:28 AM

[quote]They hate us all just as much

The only thing that can be said for sure is that American beer drinkers hate Dylan.

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2023 5:34 AM

R19 Hating people they don’t even know isn’t healthy.

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2023 5:36 AM

R17, 99% of them don't know who Dylan is. They're just doing what Fox News tells them to do

by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2023 5:40 AM

[quote]Hating people they don’t even know isn’t healthy.

If it transfers to AB, then it can be just the healthy hating of a corporation that uses Dylan's face.

by Anonymousreply 22June 1, 2023 5:55 AM

80/20 rile applies to all booze - 20% of the market makes 80% of the profits. Consider what kinds of people drink that much Bud Light and you'll get why this happened.

by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2023 5:58 AM

[quote]Dylan theoretically being a lesbian because she recently stated she likes women

Not recent. Also a joke. For some reason MAGAts and the like take everything they see online at face value. They lack any sense of discernment.

by Anonymousreply 24June 1, 2023 6:00 AM

Don’t rile me!

by Anonymousreply 25June 1, 2023 6:03 AM

My phone seems easily riled, R25. I blame her.

by Anonymousreply 26June 1, 2023 6:16 AM

The answer for Budweiser is so obvious. It needs to pay big bucks to Mulvaney to endorse its competitors. That would at least even the playing field.

by Anonymousreply 27June 1, 2023 6:27 PM

Hey, guess who distributes Modelo beer in the US.

No, really. Guess.

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2023 2:46 PM

Constellation Brands

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2023 2:51 PM

According to FAQs on Modelo's website, Modelo sells directly in the US to local distributors, R28. This is, of course, true across the beer sector, i.e., the use of lots of local distributors. So you should expect lots of companies to be distributing Modelo in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2023 2:55 PM

Modelo is a pretty good basic beer, better than Bud Light. Light but more flavorful than BL. It's not clear to me who owns Modelo. AB tried to buy out the company several years ago but was stopped by antitrust injunction. Modelo is still made in Mexico and exported to the US by a Mexican not-AB InBev company.

The elephant in the room RE falling beer sales is not that a transgender person was Bud Light's spokesthem; but that alcopops and hard seltzers have significantly clawed away at beer sales volume in the US. However, I can't find actual numbers about this because I'm certain the beer industry doesn't want us to know the specifics. But all you need to do is go look at your local stores, where there are usually as many or more seltzer types as beers; or to your under-50 (maybe even 55)-year-old friends' homes, where they are mostly drinking hard seltzer and have been for a few years now.

Moreover, there is no real loss of revenue, because the beer makers have been replacing beer production with seltzer production. And from the first moment, I thought it odd that AB would choose a trans representative, given what we all know about who buys beer. Dylan Mulvaney would have been entirely appropriate to represent a seltzer brand, given her age and the age and social attitudes of the seltzer generation (mostly Millennials and younger).

It wouldn't surprise me if AB InBev used DM as a scapegoat for their falling beer sales; or perhaps some old men in the marketing department thought that having a hip spokesperson repping BL would increase sales among younger consumers, which was unlikely since beer and seltzer are not really the same beverage. The beer-seltzer divide is similar to how Millennials don't prefer pills. All supplements are gummies now: Everything is candy.

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2023 6:42 PM

I bought a bunch of AB stock earlier this week. I consent to you all drinking Bud again.

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2023 6:46 PM

r31, Drizly reports best selling beverages. Last year, looks like Bud Light was #3 in the hard seltzer category.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2023 6:47 PM

Bud lite is disgusting. 🤮

by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2023 6:55 PM

That doesn't surprise me at all R33. I doubt InBev is really suffering saleswise due to lower BL sales.

While I'm thinking of it, Pabst sells a weird variation of hard seltzer. It's a hard latte seltzer. Yes, Pabst Blue Ribbon. Latte. Seltzer. Great for a morning hangover. It actually tastes like an iced latte.

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2023 9:02 PM

[quote]I doubt InBev is really suffering saleswise due to lower BL sales.

InBev is suffering saleswise due to lower Bud Light sales and that is due to the Dylan Mulvaney fiasco.

Also, the moon landing really happened.

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2023 10:02 PM

Modelo was already the #2 selling beer in the U.S. understand it now?

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2023 10:13 PM

[quote] While I'm thinking of it, Pabst sells a weird variation of hard seltzer. It's a hard latte seltzer. Yes, Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Heineken!? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2023 10:38 PM

I condole Bud Light.

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2023 11:21 PM

Just now checking my AB shares today rose 1.93 %. Keep up the good work, Drink more this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2023 11:33 PM

And it’s happened

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 7, 2023 8:14 PM

While grocery shopping today I paid attention to the beer selection. One store had no Bud Light on the shelves. Another had just a small section. Why are people so psychotically reactionary now?

by Anonymousreply 42June 8, 2023 11:27 PM

[quote] While grocery shopping today I paid attention to the beer selection

I did the same earlier this week. One store had the Bud stacked into a small pile in the literal back corner of the store. The other two were business as usual.

Personally I think this will gradually fizzle out. These dumbass boycotts always do. See Chick-fil-a. Still it was a good thing if corporate America learns a lesson.

A few days ago I bought a bunch of AB stock at 53. It closed today at 55.08.

by Anonymousreply 43June 9, 2023 12:03 AM

It was happening regardless of the dust up. Modelo has been increasing its market share for some time. BL’S decline, likewise.

by Anonymousreply 44June 9, 2023 12:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!