Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I have hope - hear me out.

I believe pop culture is a marker of the climate in the US. Take The Voice and American Idol. I was 100% convinced that country artists would win both shows. It was usually defacto that a young male or female country warbler would win. But they didn't. The young pop girl and the big fat Hawaiian won. Even the cute young country male on AI came in third. I also read Quora. Posts about Democrats destroying America are flooded with responses about how Trump did it. Posts about gays being immoral are flooded with leaving them alone posts. Even the trans outrage is getting push back. I am cautiously optimistic that the pendulum is swinging back to our side.

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2023 6:52 PM

[quote]It was usually defacto

That's...not what that word means.

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2023 1:53 PM

OP, honey, go touch grass.

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2023 1:54 PM

🙄🫤🥴

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2023 1:55 PM

As long as YOU VOTE, in local and national elections (even the televised talent shows) to take a stand, I think you should remain hopeful.

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2023 3:38 PM

Optimism is its own reward. Good for you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2023 3:41 PM

OP is very racist in the Chicago thread.

He's not very optimistic there in his vile comments about Black people.

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2023 3:49 PM

The fat Hawaiian guy won on a reality show many years ago, so therefore the Democrats (?) are winning.

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2023 4:05 PM

I mean, this has got to be a parody post. Right, OP??

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2023 4:05 PM

I do too, OP, but I'm looking at politics and the state of the country. Biden's performance on the debt ceiling was nothing less than brilliant. Everybody (including me) misunderestimated his political prowess, not the least of whom was Speaker McCarthy. He shoved Kevin in a box and then started jamming knives in randomly, and there was nothing Kev could do but take it. Look at where the Republicants started and where they ended up; they got nothing. In fact, less than nothing; they gave up serious ground in the coming budget battle, there won't be another debt ceiling bullshit-fest for two years, they got no reduction in spending, the clawed-back Covid and IRS funding is going to be spread around other priorities, and it looks like their big, shiny achievement — the new "work" requirements for SNAP beneficiaries between the ages of 49 and 54 — will instead likely provide for more benefits to the neediest. Meanwhile, McCarthy is likely going to face a motion to vacate, the Republicants are neutered in the budget negotiations, and Biden gets to display his skills as an experienced, tough Washington negotiator as we head into a presidential election year. Dark Brandon put the dementia-inflected Joe meme away for good.

It was like watching a chess grand master "play" against a petulant third grader whom the master let think was going to win right up until he check-mated him... without breaking a sweat.

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2023 4:09 PM

The only issue for stupid Americans ( including stupid Dems) - Biden is too old. Dems don't brag about their achievements, so age will be the one thing that the fascists will use to define Biden.

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2023 4:16 PM

r6 I have no idea what you are talking about. What Chicago thread?

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2023 6:19 PM

R11, I’m not R6, but he’s referring to this thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2023 6:21 PM

Op, you lost your way and ended up at the wrong website. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2023 6:46 PM

R9 he definitely deserves more credit.

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2023 6:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!