Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What caused the riff between Alyssa Milano and Shannen on Charmed?

Well…

by Anonymousreply 193June 24, 2023 2:02 AM

They recorded a song together, OP? I’m surprised!

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2023 6:31 AM

Well, OP, Shannen Doherty has a lengthy history as a raving, violent cunt. I'd go with that as the cause of the rift on Charmed.

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2023 7:11 AM

So does Alyssa. She’s just stealthier about it.

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2023 10:49 AM

dick

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2023 10:50 AM

Me?

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2023 10:51 AM

no, dick is the answer r5! sorry, just woke up

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2023 11:12 AM

Shannen = Bea / Alyssa = Betty

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2023 1:21 PM

I think R3 is right.

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2023 5:52 PM

It wasn’t a riff, but rather a hot jazz lick.

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2023 8:14 PM

More than 20 years after former “Charmed” star Shannen Doherty was killed off The WB series following behind-the-scenes drama with fellow lead Alyssa Milano, Milano is admitting to causing “a lot” of the on-set tension that led to Doherty’s exit.

“I would say we are cordial,” Milano told Entertainment Tonight in a Tuesday interview. “You know, I could take responsibility for a lot of our tension that we had. I think a lot of our struggle came from feeling that I was in competition rather than it being that sisterhood that the show was so much about. And I have some guilt about my part in that.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2023 9:32 PM

Shannon was known to be combative and a snot back then. She starred in a classic film, Heather's and thought she was above TV actors. Her role in Heathers is minor, blink and you will miss her.

by Anonymousreply 11May 31, 2023 10:19 PM

Women = The Women

by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2023 10:20 PM

R11 - Shannen was an icon as Brenda on 90210

by Anonymousreply 13May 31, 2023 11:46 PM

I think we overuse the word “icon”.

by Anonymousreply 14May 31, 2023 11:53 PM

Brenda was a very memorable character and it helped Shannen could actually act while many of the others could not. 90210 was the highest rated show among teens in the early 90s. So I don't find "icon" overused in this case.

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2023 12:03 AM

Marilyn Monroe is an “icon”. Elvis is an “icon”. Tina Turner is an “icon”. Martin Luther King is an “icon”. They all represent something. Shannon Fucking Doherty is not an “icon”.

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2023 12:06 AM

R16 Obviously there's different levels of icons. Nobody compared her to those people except you. She's a teen icon for Gen Xers. Not everything is black and white. No different to how Lindsay Lohan is a teen icon to millennials.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2023 12:22 AM

R17 - Yes. And Shannen was bigger than Lindsay.

Shannen was much bigger than Alyssa when Charmed started.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2023 1:06 AM

Yes. D-list actors are most certainly icons 🙄

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2023 2:10 AM

Shannen was a teen icon in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2023 3:53 AM

Shannon was dragged harder than any actor in Hollywood until Armie Hammer. She was put through the wringer and it didn’t pass over quickly like shit tends to these days. She survived it and continued to work so I think she’s kind of an icon just for that.

by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2023 9:11 AM

[quote]Well…

I hate when people write that. It's so fucking stupid

by Anonymousreply 22June 1, 2023 10:24 AM

Armin Shimerman said it was THE worst set he ever worked on.

This was during the post-Shannen years.

by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2023 11:00 AM

Shannen thought she was the lead character, and everyone else thought it was an ensemble show.

by Anonymousreply 24June 1, 2023 11:04 AM

R23 - What did Armin say specifically?

by Anonymousreply 25June 1, 2023 6:01 PM

R25, I believe this in 3 parts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 1, 2023 6:14 PM

I believe you meant RIFT, OP.

A rift is a separation.

A riff refers to a music passage, most notably, "guitar riffs."

by Anonymousreply 27June 1, 2023 6:21 PM

R26 - Thanks

by Anonymousreply 28June 1, 2023 9:13 PM

[Quote] Brenda was a very memorable character, and it helped Shannen could actually act while many of the others could not. 90210 was the highest rated show among teens in the early 90s. So I don't find "icon" overused in this case.

One of the issues was Shannen could party her ass off and still show up to work like a pro the next day. She also didn’t struggle with rewrites, and the others were jealous.

[Quote] Shannen thought she was the lead character, and everyone else thought it was an ensemble show.

The main issue was Shannen wanted the show to go darker and wanted more of a say in storylines. Which makes sense since Charmed was competing with Buffy on WB at the time.

by Anonymousreply 29June 16, 2023 4:35 AM

Shannen apparently said at a recent comic-con or on social media that she plans on explaining her feud with Alyssa and why she left Charmed very soon.

by Anonymousreply 30June 16, 2023 4:45 AM

R11, tell me "I have not seen Heathers" without saying "I have not seen Heathers."

Shannen's Heather Duke was the secondary antagonist and had more screen time than the late Kim Walker's Heather Chandler (who was fantastic).

by Anonymousreply 31June 16, 2023 5:16 AM

I was just having a discussion with my dentist the other day and she said she introduced her young daughter to Heathers and she's been obsessing over Shannen and Winona. So clearly Shannen's role is not as negligible as R11 claims.

by Anonymousreply 32June 16, 2023 5:18 AM

R30 well she better do it soon.

by Anonymousreply 33June 16, 2023 6:33 AM

they were fighting over brian krause then julian mcmahon & who knows how many hot extra that passed thru the door

by Anonymousreply 34June 16, 2023 6:36 AM

Alyssa was the Cheryl Ladd to Shannen’s Kate Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 35June 16, 2023 6:43 AM

R29 makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 36June 16, 2023 6:51 AM

R35 - Shannen is Farrah, Holly is Kate, Alyssa is Jaclyn.

by Anonymousreply 37June 16, 2023 6:53 AM

R37 what does that make, Rose?

by Anonymousreply 38June 16, 2023 6:55 AM

R34 Brian was never involved with Shannen, only Alyssa. Shannen was involved with Julian which did cause some problems since his character of Cole was linked to Alyssa's Phoebe. In one of the episodes that Shannen directed, she spends most of her screentime with Julian and the fans also noted that they had intense chemistry together.

by Anonymousreply 39June 16, 2023 7:25 AM

R33 Holly Marie Combs just confirmed that Shannen is doing alright. A lot of people were speculating that her recent videos might have been a way of saying goodbye but that's not true.

by Anonymousreply 40June 16, 2023 7:26 AM

Julian McMahon is a male whore. I should know.

by Anonymousreply 41June 16, 2023 1:35 PM

I thought Holly and Shannen had a major falling out a few years ago. Maybe their mutual hatred for Alyssa brought them back together?

by Anonymousreply 42June 16, 2023 2:45 PM

R42 they did, but obviously have made up now. Holly would probably feel like shit for not trying to make up with Shannen before she dies.

by Anonymousreply 43June 16, 2023 2:50 PM

Armin said that the biggest diva moments he ever experienced were on two shows: The first was Charmed where he said he hated the women and that there's a reason they were cast as witches. (Looking online, his appearance was in 2022, which puts it post-Shannen.) Then he said he's not a fan of Seinfeld either.

by Anonymousreply 44June 16, 2023 3:41 PM

Brad Kern was fired from NCIS: New Orleans in 2018 for creating a "toxic, sexist, and vindictive work environment." I have to imagine his time running Charmed wasn't much different, which probably didn't help with whatever drama was happening between the cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 16, 2023 3:44 PM

Charmed became awful very fast. I couldn’t stand their way of speaking. They all seemed to have baby voice affectations. I think Shannen’s character was pretty boring although she had a lot of screen presence and it was exciting to watch her in another spelling show. Alyssa was surprisingly good to begin with. Holly was just boring to me. Didn’t watch much after season 2 anyway. Not really my thing. I wish Shannen all the best though.

by Anonymousreply 46June 16, 2023 3:54 PM

[quote]Shannen was much bigger than Alyssa when Charmed started.

I'd say they were about even for fame/name recognition. They were both primarily associated with long-running shows (90210 for Doherty, Who's The Boss and later years of Melrose Place for Milano). Milano had been in the recent-ish movie Fear with Reese Witherspoon and Mark Wahlberg, which was a modest hit. Doherty had Heathers and Mallrats going for her.

Doherty had more tabloid notoriety, though, and her return to series television was a big deal. A lot of people were just waiting for the fireworks to start...even more than usual for a show headlined by more than two women.

Milano probably had more straight guys lusting after her in the '90s, but I don't know how many of them were willing to watch Charmed over it.

by Anonymousreply 47June 16, 2023 3:57 PM

On the topic of rifts does anybody listen to the 90210 podcast presented by Jennie and Tori. I wonder if Jennie is going to address the feud with Tiffani Thiessen. She seems to not want to discuss her at all, but it’s coming up to the Tiffani years so unless they cancel the podcast I guess she’ll have to keep talking about Tiffani …

by Anonymousreply 48June 16, 2023 3:58 PM

R48 I didn't know they had a podcast, but i shouldn't be surprised. Probably better to just avoid the subject. They both came off as mean girls last time. It's not Tiffani's fault Peter didn't want to keep his dick in his pants.

by Anonymousreply 49June 16, 2023 4:02 PM

This article gives some more behind the scenes about the cause of the drama between Shannen and Alyssa:

[quote] Why such ugliness? Well, from what I hear, it all began with the show's very first publicity shots, where Shannen insisted on being placed in the center, or above the others, at all times. (One source close to the WB even hinted it was written into her contract.) It seems that while Alyssa and Holly Marie Combs were told it was an ensemble show, Shannen has claimed it as her own since day one. Then there's the issue of wardrobe. Although all three girls wear fab threads, it's Shannen who gets the biggest chunk of the wardrobe budget, accepting nothing less than Prada, Dolce & Gabbana and the like. The wardrobe folks spend most of their time finding and reworking duds for the queen bee. As for her royal 'tude, let's just say that during a recent taping of the "Wrestling with Demons" episode, one of the pro wrestlers ended up calling the witchy woman a bitch, which later--behind closed doors--garnered wild applause from the tongue-tied crew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 16, 2023 4:09 PM

Entertainment Weekly did a photoshoot with the women of the WB in late '98. Supposedly two actresses insisted on being placed in the center. Speculation at the time was that it was Sarah Michelle Gellar and Shannen Doherty. Gellar is definitely in the middle, although it's a toss up between Shannen and Katie Holmes for the other most centered position. Ironically, SMG and Shannen Doherty (both of whom have been labeled as difficult at times) have been close friends for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 16, 2023 4:31 PM

It's all about Buffy, Bitches!

by Anonymousreply 52June 16, 2023 4:43 PM

R38 - Rose is Cheryl Ladd.

by Anonymousreply 53June 16, 2023 4:46 PM

R42 Holly and Alyssa have never had a feud. They've always been on good terms hence why they did the Grey's Anatomy guest appearance together. In fact, Holly and Alyssa are about the only two who never did have a feud with each other on that show.

by Anonymousreply 54June 16, 2023 4:55 PM

R51 Just as Shannen and Sarah are best friends, so are Holly and Charisma Carpenter. Selma Blair often fills out a trio with Shannen and Sarah.

by Anonymousreply 55June 16, 2023 4:56 PM

[quote]Doherty had more tabloid notoriety, though, and her return to series television was a big deal. A lot of people were just waiting for the fireworks to start...even more than usual for a show headlined by more than two women.

What I remember is that it didn’t seem long before Alyssa was implying that Shannon was being difficult. Very shortly after Shannon quit saying something like, I’m not going through this again. Referring of course to that very intense period where she was being piled on by former co-workers and fans of 90210.

by Anonymousreply 56June 16, 2023 5:21 PM

I'm surprised Holly forgave Shannen for speaking kindly of the Charmed remake.

Anytime Holly mentioned the Charmed remake, or any criticism of the original show, she acted like someone ran over her kids and raped the bodies.

by Anonymousreply 57June 16, 2023 5:21 PM

R57 the reboot was terrible. And ironically, one of the actresses ended up leaving because she didn't get along with the other cast members.

by Anonymousreply 58June 16, 2023 5:34 PM

Yeah Holly really got into it with one of the new Charmed gals and they were going back and forth for awhile in social media.

Then that girl's father, also an actor, scored a job with Shannen. He approached her and told her his daughter was a new Charmed One. Shannen said really great things about the show, its fanbase and the guy's daughter. Even took selfies with him which he forwarded to his daughter so she could plaster them all over Twitter.

It was pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 59June 16, 2023 5:36 PM

Shannen wanted to be the front and center star. Holly and Alyssa gained their own fans and Alyssa was getting more attention.

Duh...

by Anonymousreply 60June 16, 2023 5:39 PM

When Shannen Doherty is the least cunty cast member you know your cast is full of cunts.

by Anonymousreply 61June 16, 2023 5:42 PM

R58 never said it was great but the original was hardly Shakespeare

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 16, 2023 5:45 PM

Charmed was voted the best TV show a few years back, beating Friends and Seinfeld.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 16, 2023 5:48 PM

R63 = Holly Marie Combs

by Anonymousreply 64June 16, 2023 5:48 PM

R62 I never expected Shakespeare on a CW show but consistent writing shouldn't be a difficult concept. They should have said fuck it and done a Secret Circle reboot instead.

by Anonymousreply 65June 16, 2023 5:51 PM

R65 the original Charmed was ridiculously inconsistent by the end. I always wanted to tweet at Holly "I'm sorry, have you seen some of your episodes, lady?"

by Anonymousreply 66June 16, 2023 5:54 PM

R66 the 8th season was unnecessary. The finale still annoys me 😄 It was a similar deal with 7th Heaven, was supposed to end at 10 seasons but got renewed at the last minute and a lot of the main cast didn't return.

by Anonymousreply 67June 16, 2023 6:00 PM

The show certainly did a dive in quality once Shannen left.

Phoebe became a raving nymphomaniac and Piper turned into a straight up bitch.

by Anonymousreply 68June 16, 2023 6:02 PM

Holly was the sane one.

by Anonymousreply 69June 16, 2023 6:10 PM

R67 Season 5 onward sucked. After they defeated the Source, it was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 70June 16, 2023 6:13 PM

Shannen, Alyssa and Rose all have acted with Ben Affleck in the 1990s.

I wonder if he banged all three of them, given that all four people were never prudes with boring sex lives.

Holly was never in a movie with Ben Affleck, but she did have a scene with Tammy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 16, 2023 6:21 PM

Alyssa is the Ashley Judd of TV. Shannen is big, fat, blockhead Wynonna--tabloid fodder and not much more.

by Anonymousreply 72June 16, 2023 6:34 PM

R68 you definitely listen to this podcast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 16, 2023 6:42 PM

Their periods got synced up and BAM!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 74June 16, 2023 6:47 PM

Funny R48, they were great friends for more than ten years.

I wonder what could have caused it.

by Anonymousreply 75June 16, 2023 6:48 PM

R74 that actually was an episode. Their periods turned them into werewolves. Quite a legacy you're protecting there, Holly

by Anonymousreply 76June 16, 2023 6:48 PM

Tiffani has said she was the one who was hurt by Jennie but has never given specifics. She's also said things became tense between her and Tori when Tori split from her first husband who Tiffani was close with.

by Anonymousreply 77June 16, 2023 7:05 PM

I think most of the post-Shannen years were better than the Shannen years. It has nothing to do with Shannen or her character, though, and more to do with the nature of the show. The first two seasons were very standalone and it didn't start to get more serialized until Shannen's last season. I think the serialized approach worked much better, even if the show did run a season or two longer than it probably should have.

by Anonymousreply 78June 16, 2023 7:17 PM

R78 = Rose's business manager. The writing went off a cliff.

by Anonymousreply 79June 16, 2023 7:21 PM

Totally R79, season 3, the last with Shannen was definitely the best, and then the show remained good until season 5, season 6 was a disaster, and seasons 7 and 8 were not that bad, but nothing that could compare to the glorious years of the show.

The show was still very much worth watching after Shannen left, as Rose was a good replacement with a very likable character. But Shannen was powerful in front of a camera and basically took some magic away from the show with her when she left, the show did very well without her, but it never fully recovered.

by Anonymousreply 80June 16, 2023 7:28 PM

R80 the show couldve ended with the Season 4 finale and would've been spared MUCH shame.

by Anonymousreply 81June 16, 2023 7:35 PM

Seasons 1-4 were the best. Season 4 still worked even without Shannen because all the plotlines for that season were the ones planned if Shannen had still been there. Seasons 5 onward is when the show became less serious and more campy, more about stripping the sisters (mainly Alyssa) and putting them in the skimpiest outfits whether it was mermaids or goddesses. The tone completely changed.

by Anonymousreply 82June 16, 2023 9:04 PM

R82 I was making ART!

by Anonymousreply 83June 16, 2023 9:11 PM

R82 is right.

by Anonymousreply 84June 16, 2023 9:26 PM

Alyssa kept calling Shannen "Mrs. Irving Thalbeg," at first behind her back. But by Season 3, she did it to her face.

by Anonymousreply 85June 16, 2023 9:32 PM

There was an article writtein in some magazine, I think it was EW, a year or so after Shannen left Charmed. It had someone from the crew, one of the writers, I think, who said that the production team were initially overjoyed that Shannen left. They, felt that Shannen always had too much to say about the scripts, demanding they re-writes/changes, and refusing to do things if they seemed too far fetched/unreleasitic, etc. The thing that stood out about the article was the person who said this then admitted, after she left, they realized that Shannen knew what she was talking about and was far more valuable to them than they were aware if at the time.

by Anonymousreply 86June 16, 2023 10:03 PM

R86 - The writing suffered after she left.

by Anonymousreply 87June 16, 2023 11:00 PM

When Shannen left the show, S4 suffered in ratings. The finale was open-ended in case the series wasn't renewed (hence why the sisters were visited by the Angel of Destiny and given the option to give up their Charmed status and become normal humans. Also Piper becoming pregnant).

The reason the sisters vanquished the Source of All Evil in the middle of S4 instead of in a finale is because the ratings were suffering and they didn't think they'd be able to use the material they had planned. All the drama with Cole becoming the new Source and Phoebe becoming his Queen was supposed to be the arc for S5. If Shannen hadn't left, S4's finale would have ended with the Source dead and the cliffhanger of Cole as the new one.

Hoping to improve ratings especially since S5 wasn't guaranteed, all that got moved to the second half of S4 which is why everything feels so truncated and Phoebe is only the Queen of the Underworld for one whole episode. Prue was the sister who would have suspected Cole was evil but without Shannen, they gave that role to Paige instead.

by Anonymousreply 88June 17, 2023 12:57 AM

S5 was an improvement in the ratings over S4 which was likely because they started off showing Alyssa Milano as naked as they could get away with on network TV by making her a mermaid.

S6 had the best ratings because of the introduction of Chris. It was also no surprise that the character of Chris was super popular with fans since he was modeled after Shannen's Prue, in both personality and powers. Chris of course was killed off by the finale so S7 suffered from low ratings which is why the S7 finale was also left open-ended with the sisters having faked their deaths to live normal lives which could serve as an ending to their story. S8 was greenlighted but at a much reduced budget which is why Dorian Gregory's character never came back and Brian Krause's Leo was written out halfway through the final season.

Supernatural was originally intended to be a spinoff show of Charmed featuring Piper's sons, Chris and Wyatt. Not sure why they scrapped that idea and made it an original series instead especially based on Chris' popularity.

by Anonymousreply 89June 17, 2023 1:00 AM

Why is it that shows with only female leads are always so problematic behind the scenes? Supernatural was on 15 years and you never heard one peep of drama. And they're still friends. Put a bunch of women together and there's hair pulling and back stabbing. Every time.

by Anonymousreply 90June 17, 2023 1:01 AM

Did Desperate Housewives ever have any drama? That show beat Charmed as the longest running show with a female cast by only two episodes.

by Anonymousreply 91June 17, 2023 1:02 AM

Shannen's recent divorce is because her husband was cheating on her with his accountant.

by Anonymousreply 92June 17, 2023 1:03 AM

Desperate Housewives! Are you bring sarcastic?

by Anonymousreply 93June 17, 2023 1:04 AM

I know Shannan had had serious anger issues, probably from being a child actor etc , but there was something alluring about her and there was intensity. With Milano , she was alway so bland

by Anonymousreply 94June 17, 2023 1:06 AM

Shannen's always had a very dedicated fanbase which is why her shows were always hits. I don't think Alyssa ever had that appeal.

by Anonymousreply 95June 17, 2023 1:09 AM

No charisma or charm ☝🏼☝🏼

by Anonymousreply 96June 17, 2023 1:12 AM

Alyssa Milano was jack-off material for straight boys for years. She totally came in with a built in fanbase. I'm as gay as a lace doily, but even I'd fuck Alyssa Milano. Alyssa was the Jill of the group. Holly was the Sabrina. Shannen was the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 97June 17, 2023 1:17 AM

R90 No drama???

OH MY SIDES

by Anonymousreply 98June 17, 2023 1:17 AM

[quote]Why is it that shows with only female leads are always so problematic behind the scenes?

Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

You also have to consider that the Industry is built by Executives (men) who will pit the actresses against each other, which they don't with men. The Industry is also more willing to protect their male actors reputations by covering for them. A good example of this is on ABC how everyone heard about what a monster Roseanne was, but those who worked at ABC always said Drew Carey was more of a tyrant and more difficult than Roseanne, but Execs made sure that never got out.

by Anonymousreply 99June 17, 2023 1:30 AM

There may have been political arguments as well. Alyssa was a proud Hillary and Bill Clinton supporter, while Shannen supported Bush.

by Anonymousreply 100June 17, 2023 1:30 AM

I actually owned a book called "I Hate Brenda". I got it at Walmart in the early 90's. My mother sighed but bought it anyway. That was BIG DEAL, to have a book published (and a fan club) devoted to your cuntery! in pre-internet times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 17, 2023 1:49 AM

Shannen used to bang Vince Neil and Tori DESPISED her for it.

by Anonymousreply 102June 17, 2023 1:51 AM

Werne't there zines specifically dedicated to hating Brenda?

It's funny that kids today watching the show all tout Brenda as being the hero of the show and they all hate Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 103June 17, 2023 1:51 AM

90210 wasn't really the same after Shannen left, either. Tiffani was okay but Valerie was no Brenda.

by Anonymousreply 104June 17, 2023 1:53 AM

R103- Yes! And a book! See r101

by Anonymousreply 105June 17, 2023 2:11 AM

Shannen was hated because she only could deliver two lines and they were from her 90210 days:

"You don't know her, Brandon!"

"How could she do that!"

by Anonymousreply 106June 17, 2023 2:20 AM

The story I've heard is that Shannen herself was sick of Charmed by S3 because she was putting in all the extra effort to keep the show's quality while feuding with Brad Kern who was a sexist boor, along with Alyssa Milano who she felt was unprofessional and lazy. She wanted to quit but they told her they'd sue her if she broke her contract. She reluctantly agreed to stick with the show and was already getting ready for S4 when she unceremoniously found out she was fired while shooting a movie with Julian McMahon.

Alyssa, in her recent book, also claimed that she felt she was at fault for her issues with Shannen and had apologized and taken full ownership. Both women are on good terms again now. They were close enough that during S2, both Shannen and Holly were asked to be bridesmaids for Alyssa so something must really have broken their friendship by S3. A lot of speculation is that it was also because Alyssa's Phoebe took off in popularity during S3 with the introduction of Julian McMahon's Cole and that caused tension since viewers were starting to drift to Phoebe over Prue.

by Anonymousreply 107June 17, 2023 2:23 AM

[Quote] Supernatural was originally intended to be a spinoff show of Charmed featuring Piper's sons, Chris and Wyatt. Not sure why they scrapped that idea and made it an original series instead especially based on Chris' popularity.

I didn't know that. It obviously worked out in the end but that was another show that didn't need 10+ seasons and should have ended after 5 as originally planned.

[Quote] Supernatural was on 15 years and you never heard one peep of drama.

Is that why Mark Shepard left? And Jared was a total peach too.

[Quote] It's funny that kids today watching the show all tout Brenda as being the hero of the show and they all hate Kelly.

I don't like Brenda or Kelly. Valerie was my fave.

by Anonymousreply 108June 17, 2023 2:43 AM

Mark explained why he left. It was a bad negotiation, but behind the scenes the drama. They all got along at Supernatural, unlike every show where the leads were women. Maybe the Facts of Life girls got a long, but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 109June 17, 2023 2:46 AM

R109 oh yes they got along so well that Jared wasn't even told about the spin-off and threw a tantrum on twitter about it. And really? Every single show? You're so full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 110June 17, 2023 3:02 AM

Then give me some examples R110 of female ensembles where everyone got along?

by Anonymousreply 111June 17, 2023 3:05 AM

R111 Xena, Batwoman, The Secret Circle, Yellowjackets

by Anonymousreply 112June 17, 2023 3:09 AM

R104 - Tiffani was a great replacement for Shannen. In fact, she upped the show. 90210 suffered because of writers.

by Anonymousreply 113June 17, 2023 3:50 AM

Um, wasn't this show aimed at tween girls?

How old were you all when you watched it?

by Anonymousreply 114June 17, 2023 4:29 AM

R114 I was 9 when the show started but i wouldn't say it was aimed at tweens. It's not like Charmed didn't have any eye candy for everyone to enjoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 17, 2023 7:59 AM

[quote] Um, wasn't this show aimed at tween girls?

The show's marketing department actively marketed it towards grown men, especially starting with Season 5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116June 17, 2023 8:05 AM

And another one even more blatant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 17, 2023 8:06 AM

Agree with everything R97 said except for Holly being the Sabrina. She was more the Kelly than that bitchy, know-it-all tool belt dyke.

Piper was funny and quite beautiful. My fave

And yes Shannen was the c!!T. But even she is nothing close in comparison to her foaming at the mouth, demonic fan base.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118June 17, 2023 8:30 AM

I think Shannen always wanted to be on a more hard hitting show but her association with Spelling meant she was always on these types of shows instead that didn’t really challenge anything and didn’t really win awards. She seems hugely successful considering she was axed from her two big hits - she’s probably more successful from the notoriety of being canned than she would have been had she stayed for the whole show. Part of me wonders if the drama was encouraged by Spelling as a way to boost ratings and maybe he had a deal with her to make it lucrative to her.

by Anonymousreply 119June 17, 2023 8:57 AM

Mutual cuntery

by Anonymousreply 120June 17, 2023 10:58 AM

I always wanted to read the "I hate Brenda" newsletters...

by Anonymousreply 121June 17, 2023 11:37 AM

At all the press conferences or whatever with Holly, Shannen, the guys and Rose, Rose seems to think she's the savior of the show and needs to be front and center.

She also seems to gloat in the fact that Alyssa is not there, like the bully she is.

I would have to say in an industry of narcissists, Rose is one of the most self important ones I've ever seen.

Holly, Shannen and Alyssa = forever Charmed

by Anonymousreply 122June 17, 2023 2:09 PM

Shannen could have been Picasso's muse. Alyssa is gorgeous. Bitches be jealous.....Next!

by Anonymousreply 123June 17, 2023 2:24 PM

^^^^^

This post makes no sense as Shannen was one of the most beautiful actresses ever.

by Anonymousreply 124June 17, 2023 7:15 PM

R118 - Holly was like Sabrina in that she was the most dependable & least likely to cause drama.

by Anonymousreply 125June 17, 2023 7:57 PM

Oh [R47], thank you so much for catching the "tiff" "rift" booboo. I glommed onto it IMMEDIATELY.

by Anonymousreply 126June 17, 2023 8:24 PM

R123 Shannen was gorgeous when she was on Charmed - much more so than Alyssa Imo.

by Anonymousreply 127June 17, 2023 8:26 PM

I liked the first few seasons when the girls dressed well.

It was in later seasons they started dressing like whores and sporting those scuzzy tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 128June 17, 2023 9:34 PM

Phoebe's outfits got more ridiculous as the show went on.

by Anonymousreply 129June 18, 2023 1:44 AM

Holly always had the most conservative outfits. Alyssa dressed like a tart from day 1 (I think they even call her a tart in the show). Shannen dressed professionally in S1 but starting with S2 onward she started to show as much skin as Alyssa.

There's a joke in a S3 episode where a lady tells them they have to stop dressing braless, strapless, etc. and Shannen says she's got nothing to wear then.

by Anonymousreply 130June 18, 2023 2:17 AM

When Shannen left and Brad Kern had no one to oppose him, he used to mandate that the actresses wear skimpy outfits, particularly starting with S5. Alyssa was game but Holly said no.

by Anonymousreply 131June 18, 2023 2:18 AM

One of the female producers left the show over the pressure to get the actresses naked each week.

Naturally Holly Marie was PISSED.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132June 18, 2023 2:24 AM

This has to be the worst outfit ever worn on the show, if not ever on tv.

Whoever made it should be blacklisted for life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 18, 2023 2:28 AM

[Quote] (I think they even call her a tart in the show).

I think Prue does 🤣

[Quote] One of the female producers left the show over the pressure to get the actresses naked each week.

Reminds me of Smallville, they would try to figure out how to get the characters into skimpy outfits or sexual situations.

by Anonymousreply 134June 18, 2023 2:30 AM

Alyssa's Cinderella costume was basically Stripperella. I think I read somewhere that Alyssa really liked the dress (if you can even call it that).

by Anonymousreply 135June 18, 2023 2:35 AM

Possessed Piper in Coyote Piper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 18, 2023 3:58 AM

R135 what could you possibly mean???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 18, 2023 3:59 AM

R137 Based on Holly's earlier statement that the actresses all chose what to wear, it makes sense that Alyssa approved.

by Anonymousreply 138June 18, 2023 4:31 AM

I would take Holly’s word over Alyssa’s.

by Anonymousreply 139June 18, 2023 5:39 AM

I came to believe Alyssa was the cunt in that equation after she started a catfight with Kenley from Project Runway and ended up getting owned.

by Anonymousreply 140June 18, 2023 5:47 AM

I have no problem believing Alyssa, Shannen and Rose are a bunch of cunts.

by Anonymousreply 141June 18, 2023 5:51 AM

Wasn't Alyssa brought in last minute after a failed screening of the original pilot? I seem to remember a very tall, blondish Phoebe.

by Anonymousreply 142June 18, 2023 6:14 AM

Lori Rom was in the unaired pilot

by Anonymousreply 143June 18, 2023 6:21 AM

R27- Alyssa replaced Lori Rom.

by Anonymousreply 144June 18, 2023 6:41 AM

Lori who???

by Anonymousreply 145June 18, 2023 1:06 PM

Lori dropped out because of her religious beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 146June 18, 2023 1:52 PM

Shannen called Alyssa riffraff!

by Anonymousreply 147June 18, 2023 4:20 PM

[quote]What caused the riff between Alyssa Milano and Shannen on Charmed?

Vaccination policy.

by Anonymousreply 148June 18, 2023 4:21 PM

Pre-cancer stinks.

by Anonymousreply 149June 18, 2023 4:22 PM

R10, that aligns with someone on DL has said. They worked on Charmed and said that Shannen was actually very professional but she does have an "alpha" energy about her. She is very stern when she doesn't agree with something and let's it be known. But Alyssa was a huge cunt and it seems like Alyssa knows that.

by Anonymousreply 150June 18, 2023 4:23 PM

Shannen said Milano was Sicilian.

by Anonymousreply 151June 18, 2023 4:24 PM

I also think Shannen is classy for never having attacked Milano in the press when she easily could have. Shannen was the one blamed (and STILL is blamed) for the fallout by the press who assumed that since she must have caused the drama due to her previous antics. But let's not forget Shannen was like 19 when she starred on 90210. Lots of teenagers are brats.

by Anonymousreply 152June 18, 2023 4:25 PM

I remember what a weird zombie Shannen was on Dancing with the Stars - ended up quitting the show. The same pro dancer had her who also had Kim Kardashian, who was an eyerolling bitch on the show as well (this is before the Kardashians blew up). Poor guy - no wonder he quit while Derek just goes on and on and on...

Sorry to derail the thread - I never watched 90210 or Charmed. But I did love Vanessa Marcil on General Hospital. She had a kid with Brian Austin Green. Was she a bitch too? or just a flake?

by Anonymousreply 153June 18, 2023 7:41 PM

^^^^^^^

I don't know, but her character in Beverly hills 90210 (90210 is a different show) was certainly a major cunt, gladly she only lasted some 45 episodes, IF THAT.

by Anonymousreply 154June 18, 2023 7:46 PM

According to Tiffany Amber Thiesen, all the women on 90210 were bitches versus the men. They were very territorial. In fact, I think Tiffany became close to Jennie Garth when the show ended, not during the show's run. Could be wrong about that.

by Anonymousreply 155June 18, 2023 8:10 PM

Didn’t Tori and Jennie diss Tiffany when they guest judged on RuPaul?

by Anonymousreply 156June 18, 2023 8:14 PM

R155 interestingly though the female cast members of friends are much closer than the male cast members, but yes, usually it works the other way, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 157June 18, 2023 8:20 PM

I remember when Vanessa Marcil joined 90210 there was a report she was difficult and a source from the show responded to the rumor by saying “all of our actresses are difficult.” Jessica Alba has also said she was instructed not to look the cast in the eyes when she appeared on the show. Most of her scenes were with Jennie Garth.

by Anonymousreply 158June 18, 2023 8:27 PM

Tiffani and Jennie were at one point so close that Tiff was in the room during Jennie’s first childbirth.

The only lasting friendship I see from that show is Jennie and Broke Ogre Tori.

by Anonymousreply 159June 18, 2023 8:29 PM

They became close around the end of season 5 R155 when Garth apologized to her for her behavior.

------------

Yes R158, Jessica Alba said that was the worst set she has ever worked in.

by Anonymousreply 160June 18, 2023 8:32 PM

[quote] the female cast members of friends are much closer than the male cast members

I thought Jason Priestley and Luke Perry were quite tight.

And good pals too.

by Anonymousreply 161June 18, 2023 8:36 PM

R161 Friends, the show.

Yes, they were - that’s my point. And look at the male SNL cast members how loyal they are to each other.

by Anonymousreply 162June 18, 2023 8:50 PM

Tiffani and Jennie started off distant but became close during the show’s run.

by Anonymousreply 163June 18, 2023 9:27 PM

I think that’s off again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164June 18, 2023 10:05 PM

That seems really unnecessarily shitty of Jennie and Tori. Considering they eventually patched things up with Shannen it’s funny that they’re still so bitter towards Tiffani.

by Anonymousreply 165June 18, 2023 10:31 PM

Alyssa liked Milano Cookies and Shannon was hardcore Santa Fe.

by Anonymousreply 166June 18, 2023 10:35 PM

Team Tiffani

by Anonymousreply 167June 18, 2023 10:37 PM

R160 well Jessica must have taken some notes because she's no walk in the park either. She was horrible on the set of Dark Angel.

by Anonymousreply 168June 18, 2023 11:09 PM

R168, any details? I've heard that though.

by Anonymousreply 169June 18, 2023 11:47 PM

R169 Jessica was dating her co-star Michael Weatherly (who's also continued to be a douchebag) and they made things difficult for Jensen Ackles when he joined the show in season 2.

by Anonymousreply 170June 19, 2023 12:34 AM

Isn’t Jensen Ackles a known asshole? Cunts paying it forward.

by Anonymousreply 171June 19, 2023 12:35 AM

R171 I don't think so??

by Anonymousreply 172June 19, 2023 1:26 AM

Now that my daughter is soon to be single, I'd like to see her get back in contact with that nice little Savalas boy.

by Anonymousreply 173June 19, 2023 1:35 AM

R158, and Alba is a big cunt herself, so that's saying something.

by Anonymousreply 174June 19, 2023 12:03 PM

R169, and if memory serves, Weatherly was very married with a kid when Alba started fucking him.

by Anonymousreply 175June 19, 2023 12:05 PM

r17 r19 r20

I'd say she was a TEEN icon of that decade.

Since more recent generations are desperate to label the things they love as being of equal importance to things that came before (even though most new things don't come close) It would make more sense to use the icon label with something else that identifies it for its time period.

Or maybe just ICON eau de day.

by Anonymousreply 176June 19, 2023 12:18 PM

R175 Dark Angel didn't start until the 00s. It says he divorced in 97. And he was engaged to Jessica during the show 🤢

by Anonymousreply 177June 19, 2023 12:46 PM

"Rose seems to think she's the savior of the show and needs to be front and center.

She also seems to gloat in the fact that Alyssa is not there, like the bully she is."

I wish Alyssa would call her a cunt and tell her to fuck herself.

by Anonymousreply 178June 19, 2023 5:22 PM

Yeah, Rose really hates Milano. That Harvey Weinstein thing didn't help.

by Anonymousreply 179June 19, 2023 5:24 PM

Weatherly's first wife was Amelia Heinle (best known as an award-winning soap actress on The Young and the Restless). As R177 said, they were divorced by 1997. Weatherly would make a guest appearance in Charmed one year later in S1 playing a potential love interest for Prue. He was one of three brothers of evil warlocks (basically the male evil versions of the sisters) but he was the only good one and needed the sisters' help to remain good because I think he wanted to be a priest.

by Anonymousreply 180June 19, 2023 7:47 PM

R154 - Shannen was on 111 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 181June 19, 2023 11:19 PM

R11 if you aren’t making that up she truly is mentally ill if she considered herself a film star. That thot was known for 90210 first and foremost.

by Anonymousreply 182June 19, 2023 11:25 PM

R175 your memory is fucked up because he got divorced in 1997 3 yrs before Dark Angel premiered. The reason why I verified your bullshit is because I don’t remember a downlow thing with their romance. I remember them publicly being together and Jessica who I was in love with at the time talking about it on some talk show. But the whole extramarital affair makes her seem more tawdry and whorish which was your intent. Dam cunt.

by Anonymousreply 183June 19, 2023 11:31 PM

Jessica's had terrible taste over the years, Marky Mark being one of them. Paul Walker was cute though.

by Anonymousreply 184June 20, 2023 1:27 AM

Marky Mark may not be a great person, but I find it hard to believe why someone would question why someone would want to go out with him. Peak Marky Mark was pretty freaking hot.

by Anonymousreply 185June 20, 2023 1:59 AM

Marky Mark even at his peak has the face of someone who chased after too many parked cars.

Nothing remotely attractive about him.

by Anonymousreply 186June 20, 2023 2:35 AM

R183, go fuck yourself. It was a mistake,and there was no need to be so nasty, you Alba stan. Damn cunt, yourself. Blocking you now!

by Anonymousreply 187June 21, 2023 10:59 AM

Ask 1997, OP.

by Anonymousreply 188June 21, 2023 12:21 PM

Nope R181, some 48 episodes at best, Vanessa only lasted 2 seasons I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 189June 23, 2023 9:05 PM

Ennui.

by Anonymousreply 190June 23, 2023 9:19 PM

R189 -Shannen played Brenda for 4 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 191June 23, 2023 11:27 PM

Shannen was pretty good in Heathers, her role was small but owned it and her acting was convincing. It was Winona's movie foremost, so naturally she overshadowed her.

And Shannen's role on 90210 was similar. Seemingly good Midwestern girl Brenda who moves to LA and slowly gets corrupted by her spoiled brat peers and becomes even conniving and bitchier than the local queen bee Kelly. Though she's sympathetic because Kelly is a huge bitch herself and treated Brenda horribly. She was way more interesting and fun than self-righteous hypocritical boy scout Brandon.

by Anonymousreply 192June 24, 2023 1:37 AM

Doesn’t Alyssa still throw a holiday party for the Charmed crew every year? I mean that right there should tell you how well liked she was that she is still in contact and friendly with a crew from a show that ended 17 years ago.

Alyssa tried to shed her wholesome image with a few erotic thriller B movies and a few semi nude photo shoots. It backfired when then internet exploded and her photos and screen caps started popping up in searches and her little brother found them when he searched for her/

by Anonymousreply 193June 24, 2023 2:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!