Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chicago's north side is gone

No longer a safe place - now as filled with gun violence as other areas.

Boystown too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 5, 2023 11:54 PM

Any Chicagoans here? Is it bad as all that?

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2023 10:18 PM

Now do Texas, Florida, and the red states! There was just a mass shooting in FL and mass shootings went up in TX when Greg Abbott loosened gun laws

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2023 10:20 PM

Just sad.

This area was rough before but it became a very safe area, especially after gays settled in during the late 70s and early 80s.

Now it's filled with people from the South Side who come to rob, rape and murder anyone they can.

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2023 10:22 PM

According to the story at OP's link, up until last week there had been no shootings in the Lakeview neighborhood this year. Also, according to the story, "At this point last year, Lakeview had recorded four shooting victims. There was one as of this date in 2021 and six in 2020." In other words, as bad as it might seem, it's not really any worse than the past several years.

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2023 10:32 PM

Iโ€™m sure weโ€™ll find a way to totally absolve the Democrats who have been in power in Chicago for decades. We will also find a way to blame other states and areas for why Chicagos strict gun laws are not reducing firearm involved crime. We will bring up Republican governors and what they do in their states as R2 has done, which has fuck all to do with Chicago. Most important of all, however, is we will find away to totally sidestep the demographics and cultural values of these demographics that have led to Chicago being among the most dangerous in the country.

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2023 10:34 PM

Sounds like they need Rahm back

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2023 10:37 PM

Actually, R5, I'm far more worried about MAGAts dirtball scumbags like you infecting local politics and school boards, desperately trying to rewrite history to make white people look like little angels, and trying to install a "Chrisitan" theocracy with that wholly unChrisitan Donald Trump as dictator, than I am about some punk gangsta thug wannabe in Chicago (or any other city, for that matter).

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2023 10:44 PM

Go dilate your tranny wound R7

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2023 10:49 PM

R2 how is anything going to improve if this is the response anytime someone even notes an issue of concern in a big city.

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2023 10:50 PM

Go fuck yourself right up your gaping, prolapsed, shit stained asshole, R8. Then go lick your mother's rancid, fetid, putrid, malodorous cunt.

by Anonymousreply 10May 30, 2023 10:52 PM

Lol, r8. are you incapable of coming up with something new?

Posting your faux concerns on DL is the way to improve it, r10? Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 11May 30, 2023 10:54 PM

But enough about you, R10. Please stay on topic. Weโ€™re discussing the crime in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2023 10:55 PM

Well this thread went downhill fast.

by Anonymousreply 13May 30, 2023 10:55 PM

This is happening in LAKEVIEW? Lawd. Jesus take the wheel.

by Anonymousreply 14May 30, 2023 10:57 PM

R5 I get your sentiment and you are right in many ways but we canโ€™t downplay the lax gun laws of neighboring states.

by Anonymousreply 15May 30, 2023 10:58 PM

Good.

Maybe fucking ridiculous real estate prices will finally come down.

I think this is the solution to countering the effects of GREEDY house flippers, real estate developers, and real estate agents.

Hit them where they live. Make them lose their profits.

I love it.

by Anonymousreply 16May 30, 2023 11:01 PM

Perfect answer to the high cost of real estate in the USA.

Make the place completely unlivable, so people can afford to live there again.

Burn the whole fucking thing down.

by Anonymousreply 17May 30, 2023 11:02 PM

^ OK, gurl...

*backs away slowly*

by Anonymousreply 18May 30, 2023 11:05 PM

Was there all weekend, Boystown/Lakeview. Was perfect fine day and night. I also live on the Northside so I don't know what OP is talking about. It's a city, crime will happen in every neighborhood. Lakeview remains a safe fun place to visit. OP, sounds like one of those suburban folks in IL always playing chicken little with Chicago, yet living 30-50 mins away from the city limits. Hell, people like OP have probably never even lived in Cook County. They just go to a Cubs game on a sunny day and pretend they've been to Baghdad.

by Anonymousreply 19May 30, 2023 11:10 PM

I have several friends in Chicago, r19, and they would agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 20May 30, 2023 11:13 PM

R19, ๐Ÿ˜‚. Love you.

by Anonymousreply 21May 30, 2023 11:15 PM

"Weโ€™re discussing the crime in Chicago."

LOL. You have absolutely no intention of "discussing" anything.

What you're trying to do is race bait and troll, straight up.

Go peddle your bullshit "discussions" elsewhere, like Oath Keepers or Storm Front where you'll get the audience you're looking for.

by Anonymousreply 22May 30, 2023 11:32 PM

And this is why I got the hell out of the north side of Chicago. During Lori's tenure I watched Boystown crime skyrocket in two short years. Market Days and Pride are like a combat zone. You'd choke on the cigarette smoke on the Brown and Red Lines. And of course, shooting increased, a lot.

I felt comfortable in Boystown for years. Once they started gentrifying it and changing the name (don't get me started), thugs from the South Side started coming up there and causing trouble and Lori Lightfoot and friends did nothing about it.

by Anonymousreply 23May 30, 2023 11:35 PM

R22, lol. Does Drudge Report still exist?

by Anonymousreply 24May 30, 2023 11:36 PM

[quote] Boystown too.

Hiss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 30, 2023 11:38 PM

Those racist gays!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 30, 2023 11:38 PM

How far back would you have to go to get to a period where Chicago was relatively safe?

by Anonymousreply 27May 30, 2023 11:39 PM

I lived in Chicago 2000-09

The city is unrecognizable now

In fact I told a coworker who was going to visit friends in the north Suburbs over the Fourth of July holiday not to go into the city

Chicago has always been a violent city but the worst violence was largely contained to poor black neighborhoods (obviously thatโ€™s a terrible sentiment, I acknowledge that)

This is mostly due to the white police terrorizing minority โ€œriffraffโ€ who went to the white neighborhoods

Obviously that was terrible, but the reevaluation of the role of policing and intersectionality and reforms meant to promote social justice are having the consequence of emboldening the criminal element to create mayhem in parts of the city where it was not common before. It is largely black organized crime that is looting Loop stores, and black youth from the Southside who take the Red Line up to the north side neighborhoods or the Loop for the sole purpose of creating mischief. Thatโ€™s simply a fact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 30, 2023 11:52 PM

In the late โ€˜90s, I would walk from Boystown to my hotel in the Magnificent Mile area after the bars closed, a distance of five miles or so. I would never dare that today.

by Anonymousreply 29May 31, 2023 12:22 AM

R28 very well said. We must find a solution to these very complicated issues. It cannot be an either/or dichotomy.

by Anonymousreply 30May 31, 2023 12:25 AM

I live in Chicago. Weโ€™re fine.

by Anonymousreply 31May 31, 2023 12:27 AM

I was in Chicago just a few weeks ago I spent quite a bit of time outside walking including the magnificent Mile and downtown area around 2 or 3:00 a.m. and I didn't feel unsafe for unsettled in any part but I know that there are neighborhoods just as they're always happen that you just kind of stay out of but I didn't feel like the cities I didn't say for some like it's being made out to be.

I also live there 14 years ago and his had the same reputation and I didn't feel unsafe then either.

by Anonymousreply 32May 31, 2023 12:28 AM

[quote] I live in Chicago. Weโ€™re fine.

Do you send your love?

by Anonymousreply 33May 31, 2023 12:31 AM

R19 agree. I live here and feel perfectly safe. Live in a near north shore suburb, work downtown, socialize almost exclusively in the cityโ€”Boys Town, Andersonville, Lincoln Squareโ€”, own apartment buildings in Hyde Park/South Side. Never feel endangered.

The Chicago crime bullshit is MAGA nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 34May 31, 2023 12:33 AM

Chicago is fine, she sends her love!

by Anonymousreply 35May 31, 2023 12:33 AM

Yes ! Even East Lakeview is in serious danger

by Anonymousreply 36May 31, 2023 12:34 AM

Itโ€™s really sad what the Republicans and Southern Rednecks have done to this once glorious city. Theyโ€™ve absolutely ruined it.

by Anonymousreply 37May 31, 2023 12:35 AM

Chicago has countless car jackings, home invasions and arm Robberies and assaults. People are leaving in droves ,

by Anonymousreply 38May 31, 2023 12:36 AM

I've lived in the city proper for 38 years. Lakeview and Edgewater. It's gotten horrible. You can't get on a car on the Red Line without someone smoking or the car reeks of BO/Urine etc. Midnight to 2ish am is NOT that late for people to be out and about in an area with lots of bars, restaurants, etc. More and more crazy people walking around also. It's definitely deteriorated greatly and is not safe.

by Anonymousreply 39May 31, 2023 12:37 AM

"The Chicago crime bullshit is MAGA nonsense."

Absolutely yes. Chicago has ALWAYS been dicey everywhere- where the fuck are these people getting these ideas from, the Epoch Times? Only peasants and other idiots read that.

One hundred years ago in Chicago it was white Irish killing white Jews, and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 40May 31, 2023 12:44 AM

Chicago is fucked ! Itโ€™s out of control with violent crime

by Anonymousreply 41May 31, 2023 1:02 AM

I hope NYC doesn't become as HORRIBLE as Chicago but who who knows with that Alvin Bragg and that ๐Ÿคก Adams

by Anonymousreply 42May 31, 2023 1:12 AM

[quote] Hell, people like OP have probably never even lived in Cook County

Talk out of your ass more, R19.

I lived in Chicago for 15 years, until just before COVID. Most of that time was in Boystown and Andersonville. So I know QUITE WELL what I'm saying.

I'm not some sad suburbanite from Wilmette wringing my hands about going to a Cubs game. I used to stay out until 3 am at Berline and felt very safe to do so. That's not the case any more. Something changed when the Center on Halsted opened and there's been a steady stream of drugs and prostitution, and now constant attacks and gunfire in the area. It is a HUGE change, and it's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 43May 31, 2023 1:17 AM

*Berlin

by Anonymousreply 44May 31, 2023 1:17 AM

Buck woulda been like that red haired New Yorker in the North Side after dark.

by Anonymousreply 45May 31, 2023 1:21 AM

I lived in Lakeview for SEVEN YEARS (first at Roscoe and Halsted and then at the corner of Pine Grove and Cornelia) and I can tell you that white gays have been freaking out about this since the time that I lived there. And that was from 2001 through 2008. Any time a black kid would find their way from the south side, all the white racist queens would flip their shit and freak out about it. I think some asshole even started a blog about it at one point in time. Point being this is nothing new, itโ€™s the same old shit from racist white gays.

by Anonymousreply 46May 31, 2023 1:33 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 31, 2023 1:36 AM

[quote]So I know QUITE WELL what I'm saying.

What you know is that youโ€™re a maladjusted racist white Queen with a gaggle of friends who treated you like their surrogate mother. Is Circuit Mom your alter ego?

by Anonymousreply 48May 31, 2023 1:39 AM

So you don't live there anymore r43, but because you obsessively read crime stories on the internet you have decided it's terrible there now.

Just like all the trolls who post every crime story in NYC and lament it's terrible. And those of us actually on the ground are like....no, it's fine.

by Anonymousreply 49May 31, 2023 1:46 AM

R19 thank you for the perspective. The news coverage of Chicago is so hysterical that I wouldnโ€™t even visit because it seems so dangerous now (MARY!). And I live in NYC, but Chicago seems so much bigger and has more neighborhoods to navigate.

Itโ€™s nice to hear from someone who lives there.

by Anonymousreply 50May 31, 2023 1:50 AM

[quote] Point being this is nothing new, itโ€™s the same old shit from racist white gays.

Bullshit, and fuck you for calling anyone who dares to say anything a racist.

I am indeed white, and I've lived in other cities where I lived in mixed neighborhoods or where whites like me were in the minority, and robberies, assaults, street beating and gunfire were RARE in all of those places. It wasn't Kumbaya but we all basically got along.

What has changed since circa 2010 in Lakeview and Boystown is quite different.

by Anonymousreply 51May 31, 2023 1:58 AM

[quote] What you know is that youโ€™re a maladjusted racist white Queen with a gaggle of friends who treated you like their surrogate mother.

Wrong, but stay pressed.....

by Anonymousreply 52May 31, 2023 1:59 AM

[quote]Just like all the trolls who post every crime story in NYC and lament it's terrible.

Don't forget *us*, r49!

by Anonymousreply 53May 31, 2023 2:01 AM

Youโ€™re losing your shit for a reason and itโ€™s because you know Iโ€™m right.

by Anonymousreply 54May 31, 2023 2:03 AM

[quote]And I live in NYC, but Chicago seems so much bigger and has more neighborhoods to navigate.

Girl, what? Ignoring population, New York is a physically bigger city and has more neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 55May 31, 2023 2:09 AM

I lived there in Chicago 12 years and was out on the town all the time at night. Coming home regularly at 4 or 5 in the morning. Sleep half the day and do it again. I never felt scared. I was running around Old Town, Lincoln Park, Boystown, Andersonville, Wicker Park and Lincoln Square. Had a ball and met a ton of great people. I hope the City can start doing their jobs and cleaning up the crime. What is the Magnificent Mile like now?

by Anonymousreply 56May 31, 2023 3:08 AM

Oprah for Mayor!

by Anonymousreply 57May 31, 2023 3:11 AM

R55 Maybe they are thinking Manhattan only.

by Anonymousreply 58May 31, 2023 3:15 AM

R58 You beat me to it. Most people who never leave Manhattan or only venture into the South Bronx for Yankee games think that.

by Anonymousreply 59May 31, 2023 4:30 AM

This past weekened IML and The Grabbys were in Chicago. Anyone here attend?? Did you feel safe??

by Anonymousreply 60May 31, 2023 5:07 AM

[quote] This is mostly due to the white police terrorizing minority โ€œriffraffโ€ who went to the white neighborhoods

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 61May 31, 2023 5:25 AM

Iโ€™m an old white guy who lives in Spanish Harlem - does NYC feel more dangerous than before the pandemic - yes.

Does it feel even remotely as dangerous as it did during the 80s - hell no.

Iโ€™d imagine Chicago is similar - there are more homeless / mentally ill on the streets than pre-2020 but weโ€™re hardly back in the Squeegee Man era.

by Anonymousreply 62May 31, 2023 5:56 AM

Stay in Naperville folks.

by Anonymousreply 63May 31, 2023 7:17 AM

Perps are predominantly black

by Anonymousreply 64May 31, 2023 7:25 AM

For all of us sane moderates who get called MAGAts by those in here who can't see past the far left's slogans, can we think of a moniker for them? ACAVs? All Criminals Are Victims?

by Anonymousreply 65May 31, 2023 7:26 AM

Theyโ€™re not criminals!

Theyโ€™re legaldivergent!

by Anonymousreply 66May 31, 2023 8:58 AM

[quote]What is the Magnificent Mile like now?

"Chicagoโ€™s Magnificent Mile, a shopping destination for generations, saw its vacancy rate steadily climb from 2016 to 2019 when it went from 3.6% to 15%. That rate exploded and never recovered when the COVID-19 pandemic hit. In 2022 it stood at 30.1%."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 31, 2023 10:53 AM

R46, I used to live at Cornelia and Pine Grove! Closer to Lake Shore Drive in that lovely courtyard building. This was fromโ€ฆlike 1987 to 1989. I think I had a place around the corner too on Pine Grove and Addison for a while in 1989, maybe? Someone was murdered or at least stabbed by their boyfriend right across the hall from me but I never considered it a city-wide crime spree.

Lived all over the city from 1986 to 1996, things happened. I was mugged once on the Howard line, I was gay bashed in broad daylight right outside Rose Records at Belmont and Broadway. Things happened to friends. Itโ€™s a big city. But I never thought it was dystopian.

by Anonymousreply 68May 31, 2023 11:05 AM

Thank you r46. They will take any incident and pretend Lakeview has been invaded! Now, we can say Gold Coast has become less desirable since 2020 because it was a focal point of a lot of pandemic protests and looting, but that's subsided. But the biggest tell that people are talking out of their ass is that they ignore Lincoln Park. If criminals were really storming into the north side, why would they leave the golden goose, known as Lincoln Park alone? LP is just south of Lakeview These areas that OP is crying about remain the most sought after sections of Chicago, outside of West Loop. With tree lined streets, million dollar homes, and some of the highest concentration of white people in the city.

I'm in Boystown almost every weekend with my friends. Shit goes down all over the city. I think one year during the Pride Parade there were like 15-20 shootings in a day. None of that was happening in Lakeview. It was as if we were living in a completely different city. Those issues really don't affect the area to the same degree. Sorry to OP, unlike Beverly Hills/Hidden Hills/Calabasas, you can't just close up some gates at the first sign of a minority or young person seeking fun. It's a city, and cities will always have a risk of crime.

Boystown is fine. Not for nothing, Boystown is also special. Name me a city that has a larger gay ghetto in one area, that happens to also be in one of the most affluent parts of the city? This area will have gays partying at Market Days and three block away, former frat boys from the burbs partying at a Cubs games. It's an outstanding area and I call bullshit on OP's dramatic takes.

by Anonymousreply 69May 31, 2023 11:07 AM

r56 Mag Mile is in a tricky spot because it's still competing with the Loop and none of them can leave you 100% satisfied anymore. It's like Mag Mile has half the stores you'd see in an upscale mall. The Loop has more of the middle class stores you'd find in a mall. A true shopping day requires trips to both locations, while navigating tourists and the hustle of a city. Even normal stores like Nike and Abercrombie can occasionally have a line on the weekends. So if you have a car, it makes more sense to just hit up Skokie's mall or make the treck to Schaumburg for Woodfield's giant mall, instead of jumping from one section of the city to another.

The disjointed shopping experience is hurting Mag Mile a bit. (and the Loop). But it's also just not a draw for most people in the city, mainly tourist still go. The city is trying to look into alternatives that would draw a crowd. Things like closing off the street to making it a walking promenade has been thrown around. Online shopping and the pandemic really changed things. I love this city, but I hate taking the L with shopping bags. I'd rather just get things delivered to my doorstep or head to a mall in the burbs.

by Anonymousreply 70May 31, 2023 11:16 AM

"Bullshit, and fuck you for calling anyone who dares to say anything a racist."

But ya are, Blanche, you are a big, fat racist asshole, and a shit-stirring drama queen to boot.

by Anonymousreply 71May 31, 2023 11:22 AM

Buck never would have [italic]gone[/italic] to Chicagoโ€™s north side.

by Anonymousreply 72May 31, 2023 12:09 PM

Two of my kids are named North and Chicago, I bet they think this thread is about them.

by Anonymousreply 73May 31, 2023 12:28 PM

[quote]But the biggest tell that people are talking out of their ass is that they ignore Lincoln Park. If criminals were really storming into the north side, why would they leave the golden goose, known as Lincoln Park alone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 31, 2023 12:33 PM

Did they manage to save the Seurat?

by Anonymousreply 75May 31, 2023 12:40 PM

Chicago is thriving! My God the downtown riverfront area is so vibrant. I have lived in Chicago my entire life and DoorDash around the South Loop and River North areas and let me tell you people are not concerned about the crime. Well, from what I notice. Theres so much going on and throngs of people going about looking cheerful. Some shit happens but there's so much more positive things going on. Don't believe the papers when it comes to us being scared shitless we don't come out

by Anonymousreply 76May 31, 2023 1:14 PM

[quote]Name me a city that has a larger gay ghetto in one area, that happens to also be in one of the most affluent parts of the city?

Almost all Gay ghettos are like this. Gay people settled in quiet, out of the way areas, gentrified them, and subsequently priced themselves out. The West Village and Chelsea are some of the most expensive neighborhoods in New York now. Bostonโ€™s South End is incredibly expensive. DuPont Circle is expensive. South Beach is expensive. West Hollywood and the Castro are expensive.

by Anonymousreply 77May 31, 2023 1:15 PM

West Village and Chelsea haven't been gayborhoods in a while r77. Chicago is noteworthy for still having a real gayborhood.

by Anonymousreply 78May 31, 2023 1:18 PM

Ummm

You do realize this happened r78 right?

Some areas degayed faster than others but itโ€™s happening everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 31, 2023 1:21 PM

[quote]totally sidestep the demographics and cultural values of these demographics

Yes, white gun fetishes are weird and concerning. And the Chicago PD's long history of violence and lawlessness bespeaks a cultural rot in white spaces.

Thank you for being so brave.

by Anonymousreply 80May 31, 2023 1:25 PM

[quote[Iโ€™m sure weโ€™ll find a way to totally absolve the Democrats who have been in power in Chicago for decades.

The more things change...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 31, 2023 1:26 PM

I mean it's probably boring for conservatives to constantly hear that you're the root of all evil. But you are!

by Anonymousreply 82May 31, 2023 1:35 PM

R82 we'll simply take control, as you disappear.

by Anonymousreply 83May 31, 2023 1:47 PM

It's so fucked.

by Anonymousreply 84May 31, 2023 2:15 PM

Iโ€™d still love to visit Chicago. Thereโ€™s so much magnificent architecture.

by Anonymousreply 85May 31, 2023 2:29 PM

R77 We gays make everything better.

by Anonymousreply 86May 31, 2023 2:37 PM

DA Kim Foxx is on the job

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 31, 2023 3:06 PM

I personally believe they are putting something in the water to make black people more violent. I know I sound batshit but never doubt the power of the CIA. Something has to give, black people are not more naturally violent.

by Anonymousreply 88May 31, 2023 3:15 PM

[quote]we'll simply take control

You already have! And yet you constantly cry and wet your pants about how oppressed you are.

It's almost like you're violent adolescents while the rest of us are grownups.

by Anonymousreply 89May 31, 2023 3:54 PM

Chicagoโ€™s North Side is fine. It sends its regards: ๐Ÿ–•

by Anonymousreply 90May 31, 2023 3:58 PM

[quote][R82] we'll simply take control, as you disappear.

Where are we going?

First of all, you are losing. Over the broad arc of time, liberal ideas have carried the day and moved this country sharply to the left, even during periods when conservatives dominate our political institutions. And by the way, conservatives would have no political power at all on a national level if they did not benefit so heavily from the slave-state affirmative action baked into the Constitution. If conservatives did not have an unfair advantage when it comes to electing presidents and controlling the Senate, they would not have shit. Eventually, things will balance out again and you will be forced back under the bridge that you crawled out from under.

by Anonymousreply 91May 31, 2023 11:32 PM

r79 that had nothing to do with Boystown being gay, it had more to do with MtoF trans getting in their feelings. Lesbians accepted the name for decades, bisexuals accepted the name. Trans folks couldn't handle it so it's been changed but no one gives a dame. Just like Lake Shore Drive will continue to be Lake Shore Drive to anyone that matters.

by Anonymousreply 92June 1, 2023 11:49 AM

^no one gives a damn*.

by Anonymousreply 93June 1, 2023 11:49 AM

A brazen group of thieves in black ski masks were caught on video robbing a family at gunpoint at their front door in broad daylight, the latest in a shocking series of recent robberies in Chicago.

In fact, the Chicago Police Department revealed that the city has faced nearly 50 armed robberies just in the past five weeks, with authorities saying in an alert that they believe they've been committed by the same three to four suspects.

Crime continues to be a problem in Chicago - up 49 percent from this point last year - just weeks after new Mayor Brandon Johnson, 47, was inaugurated following a close election over a more conservative, 'tough on crime' Democrat rival, Paul Vallas, whom he defeated by around 13,000 votes.

The most recent instance of these potentially serial robberies happened in the city's Hermosa neighborhood, according to NBC Chicago.

n the hope of de-escalating the violence, Illinois Governor ๐‘ฑ๐‘ฉ ๐‘ท๐’“๐’Š๐’•๐’›๐’Œ๐’†๐’“ ๐’‚๐’๐’๐’๐’–๐’๐’„๐’†๐’… ๐’๐’‚๐’”๐’• ๐’˜๐’†๐’†๐’Œ ๐’•๐’‰๐’‚๐’• '๐’‘๐’†๐’‚๐’„๐’†๐’Œ๐’†๐’†๐’‘๐’†๐’“๐’”' ๐’˜๐’๐’–๐’๐’… ๐’ƒ๐’† ๐’…๐’†๐’‘๐’๐’๐’š๐’†๐’… ๐’‚๐’„๐’“๐’๐’”๐’” ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’„๐’Š๐’•๐’š ๐’•๐’ ๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐’‚๐’…๐’…๐’“๐’†๐’”๐’” ๐’‚๐’๐’š ๐’„๐’๐’๐’‡๐’๐’Š๐’„๐’•. The weekend had also been seen as a crucial test for newly inaugurated Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson, who assumed office earlier this month with a commitment to addressing public safety through 'intelligent and holistic approaches' rather than relying solely on toughness.

Through May 28, crime has soared 49 percent from the same period in 2022. That year finished with crime rising 41 percent from 2021, according to the city's own numbers.

No doubt assisted by these serial ski masked thieves, robberies are up 28 percent in the Windy City from this point last year.

Motor vehicle thefts have risen a shocking 167 percent, while murders are up 21 percent, aggravated battery 25 percent and shootings 55 percent.

'My administration's top priority is building a city where every single resident feels safe, and in order to do that, we need everyone at the table,' Johnson said.

----------------

That'll fix it all. Hood thugs fear nothing more than holistic hall monitors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 1, 2023 12:28 PM

Your article says southwest, west, and northwest side which would not include the north side op and r94. The distinctions are very important when you want to talk shit about Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 95June 1, 2023 3:19 PM

Is United Drug still open? I need to buy so aspirin.

by Anonymousreply 96June 1, 2023 3:47 PM

The new Chicago shopping experience

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 1, 2023 3:55 PM

OMG THEY RECREATED SERVICE MERCHANDISE

by Anonymousreply 98June 1, 2023 4:01 PM

[quote]New anti-theft Walgreens store in has just 2 aisles of touchable merchandise

I don't think this is going to lure people back in stores from online shopping.

by Anonymousreply 99June 1, 2023 4:07 PM

Excellent r98

by Anonymousreply 100June 1, 2023 4:15 PM

r98 wins this thread ๐Ÿ˜‚

by Anonymousreply 101June 1, 2023 4:17 PM

These stores either need to be membership clubs like Costco, or make you insert a credit card into the entrance like a bank ATM vestibule.

Everyone hated Service Merchandise.

by Anonymousreply 102June 1, 2023 4:18 PM

Youโ€™re telling me.

by Anonymousreply 103June 1, 2023 4:24 PM

Excellent idea, R102. I am really surprised no one at these stores have thought of that.

by Anonymousreply 104June 1, 2023 4:41 PM

[quote] I personally believe they are putting something in the water to make black people more violent. I know I sound batshit but never doubt the power of the CIA. Something has to give, black people are not more naturally violent.

I know this sounds kinda batshit crazy. But in a way, you ARE on to something, R88.

Environmental racism - poor people and people of color living in substandard housing with lead in the water and lead paint, etc. - does have an impact on development at a young age.

So does being homeless and/or not having consistent sources of shelter or food.

by Anonymousreply 105June 1, 2023 4:42 PM

r88/r105 I've thought the same thing. Yeah, go ahead and call me racist, but it's black people who engage in these behaviors at much, much higher rates than other groups of people. I don't think poverty is the sole reason for such violent, antisocial behavior.

by Anonymousreply 106June 1, 2023 5:38 PM

[quote] I personally believe they are putting something in the water to make black people more violent.

Leave the water out of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 1, 2023 5:48 PM

Chicago prosecutors are amusing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108June 1, 2023 6:29 PM

Dumb trolling propaganda cunts like the OP don't bother with posting to Oath Keepers anymore.

Everyone who used to read and post there is in prison now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 1, 2023 6:34 PM

๐‚๐ก๐ข๐œ๐š๐ ๐จ ๐๐‹๐Œ ๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ซ๐š๐ ๐ž๐ ๐š๐ญ ๐œ๐ข๐ญ๐ฒ ๐Ÿ๐ฎ๐ง๐๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ž๐ ๐š๐ฅ ๐š๐ฅ๐ข๐ž๐ง๐ฌ

Carolyn Ruff, founder of Black Lives Matter Women of Faith, encouraged the aldermen to vote against the proposal. She stated that the City should use the funds to provide support for the city's homeless population. She also criticized the City's plan to convert vacant schools into temporary housing for migrants when so many homeless Chicagoans currently need shelter.

"We have not opened up the schools for our homeless," Ruff said in the meeting. "We see them in the streets every day. I make sure that the homeless are fed, with clothing. We need to take care of our community. We need to take care of our Black community. We need to open up these schools for mental health. We have a lot of mental health people walking around needing help."

Ruff berated the council and City for forgetting about the members of their own community who have not received such large amounts of aid or attention despite their long-standing issues.

โ€œWe have not gotten anything for our community, and we are sick and tired of being sick and tired,โ€ Ruff said. โ€œEnough is enough! And I voted for you Brandon, Mayor Brandon. I voted for you, I worked hard to get you in there. ... Please, do the right thing for the Black community, for the brown community, for the community, for the homeless community, and the people that need help mentally.โ€

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 2, 2023 2:29 AM

But how is Wrigleyville? Is the cumdump still accessible?

by Anonymousreply 111June 2, 2023 5:15 AM

Buck never would have been a cumdump.

by Anonymousreply 112June 2, 2023 12:16 PM

[quote] video shows Chicago men firing machine guns at a crowd, killing a boy and injuring at least 3 adults

I'm certain they have the necessary federal permit to own a full automatic weapon. Thank god for background checks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113June 5, 2023 10:35 AM

[quote]Chicago's north side is gone

When is it coming back?

by Anonymousreply 114June 5, 2023 12:26 PM

Woman shot to death at boyfriend's celebration of life; 6 others wounded

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 5, 2023 1:38 PM

[quote]Woman shot to death at boyfriend's celebration of life; 6 others wounded

I don't like the fact that she has 4 eyebrows, but she didn't deserve to die.

by Anonymousreply 116June 5, 2023 1:40 PM

I would like analysis of why the people of Chicago, especially the black community, make such very, very bad political choices. For general elections, it could be explained that people mindlessly vote for the same party their entire life, but that doesnโ€™t explain the recent primary election between two Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 117June 5, 2023 2:11 PM

Chicago is a hard town to understand politically. The whole Dem/Republican thing really doesn't exist here.

Despite denials to the contrary, Chicago is a city that is still run to some degree by "machine politics." That is campaigning and then serving constituents on a street by street, block by block level.

It is just as corrupt as you might imagine. I lived in one of the trendy neighborhoods there and was helping a friend that opened a shop. She contacted the alderman for something minor and they basically told her: we have no record of you ever donating or paying the alderman* for anything, so get fucked.

The only change in the last 50 years is that instead of the Daley machine of old Irish guys and a few old Polish dudes at the head of the pack, the machine has shifted to one that is a mix of black folks from the South side, Latinos from Humboldt Park and nearby (Chuy Garcia's crew) and a few North side figures that still hold some power.

There are definitely more liberal or "woke" figures peppered through city politics with the generational changes. But even that isn't as simple as black vs white. Some of the south side alderpersons are church connected and a bit on the conservative side.

But the only thing that gets aldermen's attention is COLD HARD CASH. Which is why the oversight powers of an alderman is a joke....they let whoever writes their name in the Pay To The Order Of slot get whatever the fuck they want.

*aldermen is used for men and women

by Anonymousreply 118June 5, 2023 2:23 PM

Why do I picture OP as an aged, white Kween violently shaking and uncontrollably sobbing while hiding under her bed because the loud noise of the air conditioner scares herโ€ฆ.

by Anonymousreply 119June 5, 2023 2:33 PM

Shitcago

by Anonymousreply 120June 5, 2023 3:07 PM

And all that jizz

by Anonymousreply 121June 5, 2023 3:23 PM

Have you all invested in the neighborhood. Volunteered for inner city youth. Become a mentor. Be a good Dem and make a difference.

by Anonymousreply 122June 5, 2023 3:27 PM

Why do I picture R119 as a black Kween who constantly shakes her head and makes a tsk tsk noise, walking down the street in her TJMaxx finery, opening her clack fan to emphasize a point as she hisses at all humanity.....?

by Anonymousreply 123June 5, 2023 3:33 PM

R123 Not TJ Max. How low rent.

by Anonymousreply 124June 5, 2023 4:12 PM

The Center on Halsted is celebrating 15 years!

15 years of bringing its special brand of community to Boystown.......

by Anonymousreply 125June 11, 2023 8:00 PM

Gone.

by Anonymousreply 126June 30, 2023 7:40 PM

[quote]If criminals were really storming into the north side, why would they leave the golden goose, known as Lincoln Park alone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 5, 2023 11:22 AM

Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can get better. Chicago hasnโ€™t hit rock bottom yet, so everyone should prepare for things getting worse.

by Anonymousreply 128July 5, 2023 11:27 AM

F&F

by Anonymousreply 129July 5, 2023 11:57 AM

OP = Boris

by Anonymousreply 130July 5, 2023 12:13 PM

R129, 130 are bots

by Anonymousreply 131July 5, 2023 10:45 PM

[quote]For all of us sane moderates who get called MAGAts by those in here who can't see past the far left's slogans, can we think of a moniker for them? ACAVs?

I'm rather fond of "quislings" myself, but you do you, you "progressive" "moderate".

by Anonymousreply 132July 5, 2023 11:03 PM

I hope this is just overblown and not the reality. My ex-girlfriend lives in Edgewater, which was very safe circa 2009ish when weโ€™d often walk together at night. We havenโ€™t stayed in touch, but I hope she is safe.

by Anonymousreply 133July 5, 2023 11:28 PM

Are there more problems with the negroes?

by Anonymousreply 134July 5, 2023 11:39 PM

Always ๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿผ

by Anonymousreply 135July 5, 2023 11:42 PM

[quote]Two of my kids are named North and Chicago, I bet they think this thread is about them. โ€”Kim Kardashian

I doubt they can read, Kim.

by Anonymousreply 136July 5, 2023 11:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!