Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wwyd

A couple months ago a friend came down from a neighboring state to help me upgrade my filmed entertainment options. She installed the device she told me to buy and showed me everything I need to know and cooked our meals and was just an amazing help and companion for those few days.

I paid for her flight and all food and picked her up and dropped her off at the airport, which is approximately 1.5 hours away from where I live. I’m an alcoholic (sober for 38 years), while she was an active alcoholic at the time but is now sober, she tells me. When she was here she asked me to drive her to a liquor store so she could buy booze. She kinda sorta asked if that’d be okay and I said yes, because I told her she didn’t get sloppy when she drank so I wouldn’t mind. (I minded more than that because wtf, you can’t go a whole night sober out of respect for my sobriety in my own home, but I wanted peace and let it slide and it was fine. She holds her booze well.)

All of which is to say: I think we had an even deal.

Here’s the thing (tl;dr, I know). Since she left I have not been able to find my second-favorite coffee cup. I’ve even looked under the couch. It’s not in the microwave. I have the most bizarre suspicion that she took it.

I can’t think of a single way to approach the issue that isn’t just appalling. “Did you pilfer my coffee cup” seems to me to be an impossible sentence to ever utter. The cup is not irreplaceable. It’s from Denny’s and I have great affection for that chain because when I’m topped out with the amount of change and variables and unfamiliarity that are all natural parts of road trips, which I take all the time, I can go to a Denny’s and feel something a little like being “at home.” So, I like the cup. (Although it was second favorite to the cup that symbolizes my first lesbian relationship.)

Anyway, I guess I have to just shrug it off or go get a replacement, but I both do and don’t want to shrug off the friendship. If she stole the cup, she’s not a friend! But what if it’s still around here somewhere? Or what if she accidentally broke it and covered up the accident? If I ask her if she took it and she’s sane and innocent, the implication that I harbored suspicions that she isn’t sane and innocent would seem likely to blow our friendship to smithereens.

Gaaaah!

by Anonymousreply 141June 19, 2023 2:15 PM

You can't be serious, op. You seriously can't be serious.

Go to ebay and buy a new Denny's mug, or better still, forget about it.

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2023 3:58 PM

[quote]second-favorite coffee cup

It was at this point, I let out a long sigh. Just buy another cup and don't have her back in your house again. 8/10 level of LD.

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2023 4:01 PM

I know it’s absurd! It’s not the cup, it’s the bizarreness of the theft. But between the two of you, R1 and R2, you’ve already said everything there IS to say, except to urge me to fuck off and die, so I’ll just continue to work on my shrugging. (We see how well that’s gone so far!)

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2023 4:05 PM

I'm just amazed that you rank your coffee cups in order of favorite.

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2023 4:06 PM

This is ridiculous, OP. We're talking about a Denny's cup, not an irreplaceable family heirloom. Please get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2023 4:07 PM

This thread should be in the Urban Dictionary for "Lesbian Drama."

Just reach out to your friend and say, "hey, did you happen to notice a Denny's mug while you were here?"

There's no point in accusing her, as she'd just deny taking it if she did. More than likely, she broke it and tossed it without telling you. Kudos to you for the ridiculous detail that it's your "second favorite mug" rather than your favorite mug, a valiant effort at verisimilitude although ultimately a failure.

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2023 4:09 PM

We’re talking about a friendship, R5. Next to her the cup is meaningless. But if she took it, everything I thought I knew about her is called into question.

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2023 4:09 PM

OP, do NOT ask her about the cup. She wanted a souvenir of the wonderful time she had with you. Let her have the f*cking cup!

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2023 4:11 PM

OP, your dog was probably mad at you and buried it in the garden.

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2023 4:13 PM

She broke it when she was drunk!

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2023 4:14 PM

What happened in the last few months that led to her getting sober?

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2023 4:15 PM

Overwhelming guilt over the mug heist, R11. It was her rock bottom.

by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2023 4:16 PM

I understood the Tina Turner clock thread. This is the height of ridiculousness.

by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2023 4:17 PM

Oh, ghod, I know, R13. I haven’t spoken it to anyone and I’m hideously embarrassed to even air it here.

I should’ve been able to shrug it off easily. But every damn morning when I get coffee, there I am thinking about it again!

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2023 4:23 PM

I wonder, too, R11. I’m glad she did stop if it was bothering her. I never saw her behave badly so I was surprised to hear she’d quit. It was clear from things she’d said before that she and her husband were “heavy drinkers,” but since she didn’t say any more than that she’s quit, I just congratulated her.

by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2023 4:27 PM

OP, you sound like a lot of work. You're being ridiculous about a coffee mug. She probably broke it and didn't want to tell you, or you misplaced it and she never even saw it, but here you are imaging that she stole it.

This sticks out for me though:

[quote]All of which is to say: I think we had an even deal.

What? She came to your house for the express purpose of setting up your Roku or whatever. She came down to do you a favor, to perform unpaid labor for you. Picking her up at the airport was not some big favor on your part, it was literally the least you could do. If someone is traveling from another state, by plane, to come to your hour-and-a-half -from-the-airport hovel to fix your Playstation or whatever, you're damn right you're picking her ass up. What is wrong with you?

But I'm really curious about this:

[quote]and cooked our meals and was just an amazing help and companion for those few days.

She cooked your meals? Why? She traveled to your house in the middle of no where to do you a favor, AND she cooked for you? Shouldn't you be cooking for her? She's a guest in your home and she's there to do labor for you.

What does "amazing help" refer to? Besides fixing your TV? And do you require special companionship?

Weird thread, OP. Good luck with it.

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2023 4:33 PM

In a follow up convo causally mention the cup. She may know something. Don't make a big deal of it while your are fishing for info.

by Anonymousreply 17May 29, 2023 4:46 PM

OP — How telling that you had to ask someone from out of state to sort out your tech shit— no other friends? No local professional or neighborhood kid you can hire ? Would have cost you a lot less plus they’d never get near your precious cheap cup.

You write like you’re a fucking martyr who lost some priceless object. Go ahead and dump her but the next time you need help, she won’t be cooking your meals and doubtless waiting on you hand and foot.

As someone posted, go on eBay and buy another one. Then you can sleep at night and stop obsessing about shit that really doesn’t matter. You seriously think she would take a tacky cup to — horrors of horrors— jeopardize her friendship with you? You need her more than she needs you.

by Anonymousreply 18May 29, 2023 6:04 PM

Hutch came up missing a glove. You're missing a coffee cup. Put two and two together.

All of them witches!

by Anonymousreply 19May 29, 2023 6:15 PM

OP: assuming this even happened, you're being ridiculous. In my opinion, you're actually pissed that your friend got drunk while she was staying with you, when you're a recovering alcoholic. For some reason you don't think you should be, so you're instead hyper-focused on a missing cup.

Deal with the shit you're actually pissed about, and the rest will sort itself out.

by Anonymousreply 20May 29, 2023 6:21 PM

You lost me at "filmed entertainment options".

Next!

by Anonymousreply 21May 29, 2023 6:23 PM

Imagine the hysterics if it had been OP's favorite coffee mug! All this over second-place barware...be grateful you have people willing to travel to help you. You should send her a pound of coffee and a thank you note.

by Anonymousreply 22May 29, 2023 6:28 PM

I would call her and casually moan about your Denny's cup, and how you used to used it every day.

Ask her to fly down from out of state to help you look for it.

by Anonymousreply 23May 29, 2023 6:31 PM

I nominate this thread for the "OCD Twatting Troll Thread of The Year" award.

She broke the cup and threw it away. Keep your PETTY BEANCOUNTING BITCH MOUTH SHUT and be thankful you have a friend like this one.

by Anonymousreply 24May 29, 2023 6:34 PM

you shouldn't feel sentimental about denny's. the board of denny's would sell your organs to pirates if they could

by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2023 6:45 PM

You ask questions like OP... Hey, my coffee cup didn't get mixed up with your luggage and travel back with u, did it, lol? Or, "ive a ghost, my coffee cup has disappeared...there's no way u accidentally shoved it in with your luggage?

by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2023 6:48 PM

I understand, OP. I have favorite cups, too. I keep multiples in the cabinet in case one breaks, or an old friend comes to town and liberates one. I'm typing now to thank you for the only laughs I've had all day. Just sitting here thinking about you renders me gigglicious.

Here are 359 candidates for your new second favorite mug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 29, 2023 6:50 PM

Oh, R18, calm yourself. She wanted to come. She made the offer. She insisted on which devices I was to buy. And she wanted to fly and I told her I’d be happy to buy her ticket. I was happy to and I did.

And, yes, when I retired I moved to a place where I know no one but one cousin. My cousin is as untechy as I am, so I let the tech friend tell me which device to buy and make the trip.

by Anonymousreply 28May 29, 2023 7:04 PM

Thank you, R27! I’d never have though of eBay but I know where a good Denny’s is (if that’s not an oxymoron).

by Anonymousreply 29May 29, 2023 7:06 PM

My favorite coffee mugs are ranked way beyond two, so I empathize with OP. I would tell her that you can’t find your favorite coffee cup (divulging its ranking just muddies the issue), and did she use is and set it down somewhere you might have not thought to look.

by Anonymousreply 30May 29, 2023 7:15 PM

[quote] I'm just amazed that you rank your coffee cups in order of favorite.

Other helpful ways to order one’s coffee cups: - interior coffee stain intensity - kitchiness - most microwave-unfriendliness - plastic vs. china vs. other ceramic/pottery - most cracked - free to most expensive

by Anonymousreply 31May 29, 2023 8:01 PM

Here ya go, toots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 29, 2023 8:31 PM

You sound like an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 33May 29, 2023 8:50 PM

OP brought their son, Skippy, home from the hospital in this Denny’s mug.

by Anonymousreply 34May 29, 2023 8:59 PM

Oh, the huge manatee!!

by Anonymousreply 35May 29, 2023 9:05 PM

Did you look in the freezer? You're always leaving things in the back of the freezer.

by Anonymousreply 36May 29, 2023 9:09 PM

Think of yourself as William Shakespeare and your friend as Anne Hathaway and that you’ve bequeathed her your “Second Best Coffee Mug”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 29, 2023 9:14 PM

The people who keep telling you that your friend broke the fucking mug and didn't want to say anything have cracked the case!

It would be weird to think that she couldn't tell you about this until we read the OP and the rest of OP's comments here. Of course your friend couldn't tell you about it - you're fucking crazy. Obsessed with a "second favorite" used Denny's coffee mug?

The FIRST conclusion you leapt to was that your friend had STOLEN your used Denny's mug. Who thinks like that? First, who would steal a fucking used Denny's mug and second who thinks their friends go around stealing their old used coffee cups? How does that thought even enter your mind rather than "Oh, she must have broken a mug and not mentioned it."

Seriously, OP, call your friend and admit that it's crazy but this has been driving you up a wall, ask her if she accidentally broke the Denny's mug while she was visiting. It's a simple question, one she should be able to answer quite easily. It's not accusing her of theft, which is fucking insane, it's asking her if there was a slight, unfortunate accident with a mug.

But really OP, you should have let this go ages ago. See a shrink.

by Anonymousreply 38May 29, 2023 9:15 PM

She's shallow, OP. That's what she is, she's shallow.

by Anonymousreply 39May 29, 2023 9:17 PM

I’m still trying to decipher the first sentence in the OP.

by Anonymousreply 40May 29, 2023 9:46 PM

R28, you are still entitled as fuck to think it's a "fair deal" to have a friend get on a plane and fly to your house TO DO SHIT FOR YOUR STUPID ASS, because you did them the huge favor of picking them up at the airport. Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 41May 29, 2023 9:57 PM

For god's sake do not ask the friend even about a broken mug. WHO GIVES A SHIT. OP is lucky he has a friend at all.

by Anonymousreply 42May 29, 2023 9:57 PM

Likely scenarios:

1. She broke it. Drunk. And was ashamed.

2. You accidentally put it on top of your car and drove away.

3. She needed to take booze on the road and assumed you’d never miss the mass-market, big-box tchotchke mug

4. She mistook Denny’s for Chik-fil-A & Hobby Lobby and destroyed it thinking they were bigots.

5. It’s in your garage where you accidentally left it when you went to see if she stole your 2nd favorite drill

by Anonymousreply 43May 29, 2023 9:59 PM

Think of op’s friend as Miss Jane Hathaway

by Anonymousreply 44May 29, 2023 10:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 29, 2023 10:11 PM

I understand. It’s all gonna be OKAY. Just close your eyes and imagine you’re at Denny’s.

by Anonymousreply 46May 29, 2023 10:16 PM

Op, did you get your Denny’s mug by STEALING IT???

by Anonymousreply 47May 29, 2023 10:18 PM

YOUR mug?!!!????? per R47

by Anonymousreply 48May 29, 2023 10:30 PM

OP, why does she cook for you?

by Anonymousreply 49May 29, 2023 10:38 PM

They WANT you to take them. Free advertising.

by Anonymousreply 50May 29, 2023 10:38 PM

I can picture this "friend" at some seedy diner, asking the waitress to refill YOUR mug, and also asking her to Irish it up a little, just as a little extra insult!

by Anonymousreply 51May 29, 2023 10:43 PM

Go watch the Seinfeld episode about the house cleaner.

by Anonymousreply 52May 29, 2023 10:56 PM

I always thought Lesbian Drama was exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 53May 29, 2023 11:52 PM

This is one of the more stupid EST attempts in a while.

If this is true, you need serious help.

by Anonymousreply 54May 29, 2023 11:55 PM

OP please confront her about this, then she can know what a horrid, trivial, simple-minded person you truly are.

by Anonymousreply 55May 29, 2023 11:58 PM

Awww, c'mon. Don't you guys have favorite coffee mugs? Here's a couple of mine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 30, 2023 12:00 AM

[quote]tl;dr, I know

You sound exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 57May 30, 2023 12:10 AM

Get on a plane, travel to her state, rent a car, drive to her town in the dark of night and set fire to her house while she's sleeping inside.

by Anonymousreply 58May 30, 2023 12:16 AM

If you call her and confront her she will probably say something like this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 30, 2023 12:20 AM

You have to let it go. I would stew for a little while about the mug but after a few months it would fade. Just reconcile to yourself that she broke it, she was embarrassed so she didn’t say anything. Forgive her in your mind and move on.

by Anonymousreply 60May 30, 2023 12:23 AM

Pathetic and paranoid OP — she will make a point of how she gladly paid for the ticket AND picked her friend up at the airport ….

…and then suspect that kind friend of being a thief. Of a Denny’s cup,

I think it is YOU who needs to calm down, OP.

by Anonymousreply 61May 30, 2023 12:25 AM

The only thing I can say, is...ONLY ON DL!

by Anonymousreply 62May 30, 2023 12:29 AM

OP types pour.

by Anonymousreply 63May 30, 2023 1:21 AM

[quote]OP types pour.

Can't pour without the cup, dear!

by Anonymousreply 64May 30, 2023 1:23 AM

The FIRST THING I'd do is be concise and learn how to tell a freaking story without being so bloody long-winded!

by Anonymousreply 65May 30, 2023 3:09 AM

OP “filmed entertainment options.”

Did your friend procure, drug, and bind the young sizemeat, or simply set up the cameras?

by Anonymousreply 66May 30, 2023 4:08 AM

At least she didn’t accidentally let out one of your cats!

by Anonymousreply 67May 30, 2023 4:10 AM

R16 makes some very solid points, OP. She did you a huge favor by FLYING over to set up your entertainment system, since your geriatric ass can't seem to figure it out. She cooked. You drove 1.5 hours to the airport, so you're "even."

Now, you're caring about some dumb, generic-looking Denny's coffee mug.

It also sounds like you live in a God-forsaken area that has state-run liquor stores.

As an alcoholic, yourself, did you think she was gonna stop drinking during this mission of mercy?

by Anonymousreply 68May 30, 2023 4:20 AM

This is better than the Sesshie shoulder thread - I’ve laughed out loud a few times. Kudos DL!

by Anonymousreply 69May 30, 2023 4:30 AM

I’m more concerned about the fact you find security and comfort in the greasy, inedible swill they shit onto your plate at Denny’s than the OCD crazy that’s got you muttering about your AWOL second favorite coffee mug coupled with the paranoid delusions you are spinning about a good friend.

You need to see a shrink and resolve to only eat at Taco Bell or above OP.

by Anonymousreply 70May 30, 2023 4:38 AM

On Sarah Silverman’s new show she tells the story of a fan who approached to tell her that she was one of the fan’s top-four favorites. “You realize I know that means I’m fourth, right?

by Anonymousreply 71May 30, 2023 4:40 AM

OP? I think you should check the microwave again.

Also, what is with your affected “British” speech patterns? Are you the world’s most pretentious dyke with a Denny’s cup?

by Anonymousreply 72May 30, 2023 4:48 AM

OP, count your blessings. Wouldn’t this be FAR WORSE if she’d stolen your FAVOURITE mug (probably from Tim Horton’s)?

Also, at least now you have your “filmed entertainment options,” whatever that is.

The affectations are off the charts. You must be insufferable in a 12 step meeting where attendees probably consider “filmed murder options” as you speak.

by Anonymousreply 73May 30, 2023 4:55 AM

I’d be more concerned about your faux-British manner of speech. Who do you think you are, Lesley Manville?

by Anonymousreply 74May 30, 2023 4:58 AM

This needs an epilogue where OP goes to visit her “friend,” has to take an Uber from the airport and as she loosens the scarf around her neck, her friend serves her a cup of coffee she warned up in the microwave - and it’s the Denny’s cup! Then her friend just stares at her and offers to “Irish it up” for her. Thrilled to at least have visitation with her 2nd favourite mug - but knowing it would be “hideously middle class” of her to steal it back - she accepts the offer of spiked coffee.

Having broken her sobriety, she later mumbles to her friend, “Do you have any f-f-filmed lentertainment op-SHUNS…?”

by Anonymousreply 75May 30, 2023 5:09 AM

Shouldn't the OP have begun with..."It was a dark and stormy night"?

by Anonymousreply 76May 30, 2023 5:21 AM

You take comfort in eating at a Dennys? The only time one eats at Dennys is if one has closed down the bar and it's the only place open, or one is a streetwalking prostitute there for her 60/40 split with her pimp. And to somehow cherish a Dennys mug is right out of Tales of the Trailor Park. Is your favorite pen from a Discount Tire store?

by Anonymousreply 77May 30, 2023 5:33 AM

Dennys has the best simple carbs, they use plenty of salt and trans fats so they slide down real easy. But it's the delicious nitrates and sodium in their animal fats generously smothered in mouthwatering corn syrup that really make it dining extraordinaire!

by Anonymousreply 78May 30, 2023 5:49 AM

I wonder if OP counted the number of BBQ packets she’s hoarded from Denny’s after her friend left? She probably had 100+ stashed away in a secret hiding place. This sneaky friend could have absconded with a few of them —- maybe most of them! Bitch!

OP will never speak to her again.

by Anonymousreply 79May 30, 2023 5:57 AM

Dark (roast) lesbians

by Anonymousreply 80May 30, 2023 6:26 AM

I condole you, lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 81May 30, 2023 7:16 AM

She robbed the (mug) cradle

by Anonymousreply 82May 30, 2023 8:51 AM

Takeaway: Sarah Silverman has a new special.

by Anonymousreply 83May 30, 2023 8:52 AM

A. It is under or behind a piece of furniture. She was day drinking; she heard you coming and stashed it.

B. You did something she thought petty after she commuted there, cooked and assembled for you. Perhaps you calculated the price she owed you per square of toilet paper. She was pissed and passive aggressively thought, “Fuck it, I’m taking the salutatorian mug.”

by Anonymousreply 84May 30, 2023 9:04 AM

She probably took the cup back to Dennys where it was stolen from in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 85May 30, 2023 9:13 AM

The ESTs here used to be a lot better.

A lot better.

by Anonymousreply 86May 30, 2023 10:35 AM

A real friend would’ve just told you to fuck off and call tech support and avoid this co-dependent shit altogether.

by Anonymousreply 87May 30, 2023 10:48 AM

Is her name Julie? Because…

by Anonymousreply 88May 30, 2023 10:51 AM

R88 She’s not Lisa. Lisa left her years ago.

by Anonymousreply 89May 30, 2023 12:07 PM

I’m curious, OP, what is your first-favorite coffee cup?

by Anonymousreply 90May 30, 2023 12:20 PM

R90 I think she said this one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 30, 2023 12:24 PM

Another sanctimonious 12-stepper who thinks that they are a model of perfection just because they don't drink anymore. I liked you better when you were drinking, OP.

by Anonymousreply 92May 30, 2023 12:32 PM

[quote]Gaaaah!

Gaaaah! indeed, OP.

But thank you for filling space here, as in life.

by Anonymousreply 93May 30, 2023 12:36 PM

FFS, OP -- this is why I've never had a lesbian friend.

by Anonymousreply 94May 30, 2023 12:48 PM

Thanks, R91.

I was afraid it was a turquoise Fiesta ware cup.

by Anonymousreply 95May 30, 2023 12:55 PM

Where are we getting that OP is a lesbian? I'm not even seeing that OP is a woman.

I picture Brendan Frasier in The Whale. The stuff about companionship and being "a great help," plus cooking for OP (!) just paints a mental picture.

by Anonymousreply 96May 30, 2023 1:13 PM

OP said her first favorite mug was the one that reminded her of her first lesbian relationship.

by Anonymousreply 97May 30, 2023 1:25 PM

[quote]So, I like the cup. (Although it was second favorite to the cup that symbolizes my first lesbian relationship.)

This is why we think OP is a lesbian, R96, or pretending to be a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 98May 30, 2023 1:27 PM

The first-place mug

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 30, 2023 7:28 PM

"If only I could sneak this stylish Dennys mug out and get it home with me I'd be LIVING LSRGE!"

by Anonymousreply 100May 30, 2023 9:01 PM

R96 You’re a moron.

by Anonymousreply 101May 30, 2023 9:57 PM

>>So, I like the cup. (Although it was second favorite to the cup that symbolizes my first lesbian relationship.)

WTF?! Nice touch, though.

This is the best EST thread in ages. All the details about alcoholism leading to... the disappearance of a fucking Denny's mug.

by Anonymousreply 102May 30, 2023 10:07 PM

Totally missed that, R98.

I still think there's a big detail or details being left out by OP. Obviously this wasn't a social visit. When I visit friends they aren't gushing about the "companionship" and "help" I provided. We just have fun, like normal friends? I might cook a meal to show appreciation as a house guest but I'm more likely to pick up the check for a dinner out.

However if the reason for my visit is unpaid tech support, I think more that I'm owed a dinner out? And if my host is making a big deal about picking me up at the airport when the point of my visit is performing unpaid labor for them, you can bet I'll be pissed off.

Maybe she did take the mug. Team Unpaid Tech Support.

by Anonymousreply 103May 30, 2023 10:14 PM

R77, Get real! The pen from the Discount Tire Co. is his SECOND favorite one!

by Anonymousreply 104May 31, 2023 12:03 AM

Oops! "Her"! ((R104) (Too concerned about the joke!)

by Anonymousreply 105May 31, 2023 12:07 AM

" I'd never been in the presence of any mug that served coffee and people as much as your Denny's mug. Your mug was as big as it was sturdy. It served. It took up space. It was present. Hide well!"

by Anonymousreply 106May 31, 2023 12:13 AM

OP - it was your mistake not to state your boundaries CLEARLY at the start of the visit.

The tears were as inevitable as a Man On The Land!!

by Anonymousreply 107May 31, 2023 1:04 AM

My money on that she broke it and didnt want to tell you. Or, you have dementia from all your past drinking and put it in the dirty clothes hamper instead of the dish washer.

by Anonymousreply 108May 31, 2023 1:57 AM

OP is quiet. Since she was so distracted and disturbed over her Denny’s dilemma, is she sleeping well? Dreaming of her missing cup perhaps? Nightmares about it being in shards or worse, being filled day and night with cheap vodka? Is she even able to function? Has she spoken to her friend? Is she miffed that many of us think she’s an asshole?

So many questions.

We may never know.

by Anonymousreply 109May 31, 2023 2:17 AM

[quote] and as she loosens the scarf around her neck, her friend serves her a cup of coffee she warned up in the microwave - and it’s the Denny’s cup.

OP quickly snatches the cup from the table, violently hurling the scalding hot liquid into the face of the the mug thief screaming, "take THAT you criminal coffee cunt"

by Anonymousreply 110May 31, 2023 2:18 AM

Dennys mugs are so gauche. When I want to impress my guests I get out my Waffle House mugs.

by Anonymousreply 111May 31, 2023 5:52 AM

Buck never would have BROKEN a Denny’s mug!

by Anonymousreply 112May 31, 2023 3:25 PM

Wait?

You needed someone to fly from another state then travel 1.5 hours from the airport to...

[bold]... plug in a Streaming-Device for you?[/bold]

Yikes, OP. The lost coffee mug should be the least of your worries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113May 31, 2023 3:30 PM

OP, would the gift of a commemorative "I ❤️ Greg" travel mug be a source of consolation to you?

It takes a village.

by Anonymousreply 114May 31, 2023 6:15 PM

You’re all so stupid….

The whole point of the flight and tech visit was for them to bump holes!!!

by Anonymousreply 115May 31, 2023 6:26 PM

Did you check the water holding tank on the toilet? Maybe she was drunk and thought it was the dishwasher.

by Anonymousreply 116May 31, 2023 6:34 PM

In a perfect world she would have said I like this cup can I have it? Stealing from a friend is so wrong, it doesn't matter the value.

by Anonymousreply 117May 31, 2023 6:57 PM

R117 - only you and crazy OP think this mug was stolen.

by Anonymousreply 118May 31, 2023 9:32 PM

OP got what he wanted, which was a lot of comments about Lesbian Drama™.

Now he's sitting back and chuckling while rubbing his hands together as he plans his next EST. "Eeeehhhxcellent..." he mutters.

by Anonymousreply 119June 1, 2023 1:58 PM

It's always weird when an OP details some elaborate drama and then completely disappears for the rest of the thread. I definitely think this was an EST.

by Anonymousreply 120June 1, 2023 2:01 PM

She appeared only once to tell me to “calm down” and then was cunted off by me and other posters. I think she was disappointed that few posters sided with her “dilemma.”

She probably accused her friend of the theft by now and has lost that friendship. Oh well. No more drinking from that furry cup and the Denny’s one she found under the dusty bed.

by Anonymousreply 121June 1, 2023 3:00 PM

There’s a set of 6 Denny’s mugs on eBay for $120. We could do a GoFundMe for OP, so he is never without?

#LetTheHealingBegin

by Anonymousreply 122June 1, 2023 11:23 PM

just ask her if she saw it...DUH.

by Anonymousreply 123June 18, 2023 3:41 AM

R114- SAVE THEM GREGGGIE!

by Anonymousreply 124June 18, 2023 3:43 AM

She's fucking with you, and that's not right.

by Anonymousreply 125June 18, 2023 3:47 AM

R86- Hmm. Guess Machine Gun Kelly is down with the olds?

by Anonymousreply 126June 18, 2023 3:54 AM

Update?

by Anonymousreply 127June 18, 2023 3:57 AM

Fiesta Steak Omelette, hash browns, biscuit, grits, oatmeal with sugar/cinnamon, a crusty 3 day old raspberry danish, bacon, sausage AND a glass of OJ on the side. Don't forget my hot cakes! ALL 6 of them! And butter- at least 12 tiny, or just brang me da stick!

by Anonymousreply 128June 18, 2023 3:59 AM

[quote] ago a friend came down from a neighboring state to help me upgrade my filmed entertainment options……. She insisted on which devices I was to buy.

Which deviceS? More than one? “Filmed” entertainment options?

Wtf are you blathering about? What did she install?

by Anonymousreply 129June 18, 2023 4:19 AM

Op, which Denny’s mug was it? I looked at the eBay link and there are different varietals.

by Anonymousreply 130June 18, 2023 4:23 AM

A Denny's mug.

Jesus Christ.

by Anonymousreply 131June 18, 2023 7:34 AM

Find an excuse for her to come back. Some filmed entertainment option snafu.

Buy her plane ticket, pick her up from the airport and, the first morning, tell her you’d like to buy her breakfast.

Won’t she be thrown when she finds herself at Denny’s. That’s right, the two of you will be in a booth, each clutching a prized Denny’s mug. And you’ll say, “So… anything to tell me? Anything that cheap waffles brings to mind? Huh? That’s right bitch, I know all of it. There are cameras, bitch! We can do this the hard way or the easy way.” Then pull out your gun.

by Anonymousreply 132June 18, 2023 7:57 AM

OP, are you talking about things like a Blu-Ray/DVD player and/or a Roku, Apple TV, or a smart TV.

by Anonymousreply 133June 18, 2023 8:13 AM

Another thought: she may have saved your ass.

See, I, am thinking she caught wind that the Denny’s folks were closing in. With thin margins, they can’t afford to have customers walking away with crockery. They were onto you. She saw them tossing a neighbor’s place. It was now or never.

While you were on the crapper, she thought fast. A garbage truck was moving through the neighborhood. She hid the forbidden crockery under her caftan, careful that no Ring camera would pick her up and turn it into a filmed-entertainment option for the coppers.

She got up by the truck and tossed it in.

Now, if you want it back, I suggest you infiltrate the sanitation company… maybe they need lesbian temps… and find out where they’ve been dumping your neighborhood trash. Enlist a team of volunteers to walk the grid of trash.

I think you’re going to find it.

by Anonymousreply 134June 18, 2023 5:12 PM

You haven’t drank in almost 40 years and still identify yourself as alcoholic? That’s so limiting and defeating . I bet you consider yourself powerless too

by Anonymousreply 135June 18, 2023 5:20 PM

OP Was it the Vintage 1960s Denny's Tan Speckled Coffee Mug Marked DCC USA? That's the one I like! The Vtg Denny's Restaurant Ware Beige Speckled Brown Logo Graphic 8oz Coffee Mug Cup???? If so, I condole you. That's quite a loss, a quality vintage item in neutral.

by Anonymousreply 136June 19, 2023 3:16 AM

OP Does your friend real DL? If so, it will be hilarious if she finds this thread!

by Anonymousreply 137June 19, 2023 3:16 AM

Wouldn’t it have been more efficient to ask a neighbor to help set up your Roku instead of the endlessly complicated and expensive effort of flying in a friend and having to drive hours back and forth from an airport? Why not just go to the local Best Buy and have them help you set it up? A Geek Squad visit is far cheaper than a plane ticket and a tank of gas. All this extraordinary effort for such a ridiculously simple task.

Or was this some sort of Borderline Personality Disorder episode where you manipulated your friend to come help you then you “painted her black” when she dared to leave you after your visit and you’re using this tacky Denny’s mug to justify your warped sense of betrayal?

This all seems very suspicious coming from a sophisticated criminal who masterminded the Denny’s mug heist.

by Anonymousreply 138June 19, 2023 4:18 AM

I stumbled on this thread last night when I was suffering from insomnia at 3 a.m., and I literally cried I laughed so hard at some of the responses. DL, you never disappoint.

But OP, if you're still following this, there are some things I don't understand. If this person was/is your friend, what on earth is stopping you from telling them your 2nd favorite mug has gone missing and asking them if they saw it when they were at your house?

Secondly, if you were uncomfortable with this person drinking during this visit, why did you wait to bitch about it to us instead of just telling them at the time?

I guess I'm unclear on what you consider a friend. I do not have a lot of friends, but I'm able to be forthright and honest with the ones I do have. You're edging up around the 70 year mark, if I'm reading this correctly. Who exactly are you keeping the truth from?

by Anonymousreply 139June 19, 2023 6:44 AM

Just read this thread. I was expecting the mug to be some fancy pottery mug or made of fine bone china or something. But actually it is a tacky, ugly, mass produced object. Seriously, OP, you should be thanking your friend for disposing of such tat. You should be thrown off DataLounge for admitting ownership of such items.

by Anonymousreply 140June 19, 2023 8:42 AM

I like that OP didn’t go overboard like the usual EST, where someone posts a thread where they’re flouncing and sashaying and screaming in horror at some slight like not being offered breakfast ata tricks place.

Well done, you.

by Anonymousreply 141June 19, 2023 2:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!