Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Deep cuts, non-hits and B-sides

A thread for songs you liked that either didn't really set the charts on fire or didn't make a big impact.

I'll start with this one....had no idea it was a single or had a video. I liked the two Simply Red albums after the first that hit it big, but they didn't seem to make much impact on the charts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 25, 2023 2:34 AM

Blondie's "Living in the Real World" (the B-side to "Union City Blue")

It was the last song on their vinyl album, "Eat to the Beat." I used to run over to the amplifier and crank it up LOUD!

And now almost 45 years later, the lyrics seem rather prophetic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2023 7:38 AM

Tears for Fears….Elemental

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2023 8:04 AM

EBTG with Johnny Marr (!) on harmonica.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2023 1:53 PM

Santana - Going Home

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2023 1:57 PM

Keni Burke - Risin' to the Top

It only reached #63 on the R&B charts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2023 2:02 PM

Isley Brothers - Footsteps in the Dark

It didn't chart on the Billboard Hot 100

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2023 2:07 PM

Midnight Star - Curious

It wasn't released as a single

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2023 2:10 PM

Almost anything by Big Country apart from their major eponymous hit. Extremely underrated outside of the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2023 2:10 PM

Byrne & Barnes - Love You Out of Your Mind

The album was only released in Japan, I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2023 2:17 PM

R9 I'm very impressed. I have this album and thought I was one of a hundred or so people that know it existed!

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2023 2:43 PM

It's a great album, r10. My favorite songs were tracks 2, 3 (the abovementioned song), 4, 6, and 7. It's too bad the song wasn't released in the U.S. I think it could've been a hit.

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2023 3:58 PM

If we're allowed to mention a song by a singer who is not officially cool, I've always thought that this song should have been a hit.

The writer, Daniel Merriweather, made a big stink about Celine not mentioning on 'The Today Show' (USA) that he was the writer after she performed it. Longer story but it led to a change in the album (to be released) title from 'Water and a Flame' to 'Loved Me Back to Life.'

His ego probably cost him a lot of money. They never pushed it as a single after the contretemp.

(Wish we could do multiples in one thread.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2023 4:45 PM

I was OBSESSED with everything "Poseidon Adventure" 1972 including 'The Morning After" but after all these years, the 'B' side still gets my attention; "Midnight Storm" by Maureen McGovern

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2023 5:26 PM

Yes. Was always the other song, sadly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2023 5:30 PM

This made me want to get up and ring my bell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2023 6:09 PM

R9 and R10

Thank you for the heads up about Byrne & Barnes. If I had ever heard of them or their music I don’t remember it. ‘An Eye for an Eye’ is a GREAT album. I’m currently obsessed with it. It’s such a quintessential 80s album, and I am - as my friends tell me - stuck in the 80s. Also a good example of a studio session album from that time period.

We’re probably the same age group and listened to the same music, but if you haven’t already heard of all these people/groups, check out anything that David Pack (Ambrosia) has done - most people know Ambrosia but not all of Pack’s solo work. Check out the groups ‘Pages' and ‘Mr. Mister’, whose vocalists were Steve George and Richard Page, two of the most in demand studio back-up vocalists. They sing back-up on a wide variety of great 80s albums so their voices are everywhere and are distinctively recognizable after awhile.

You might also like the Alessi Brothers - similar, but not quite as accomplished. Twinkie twins from LI/NY that had modest success.

Thanks again!

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2023 5:34 PM

R16 I don't think Byrne and Barnes were ever heard in America or anywhere outside of Japan...? They were songwriters of the era trying to get their songs placed with popular artists, if I remember right.

But it DOES have that sound of, wow, this feels so familiar and very much of that era.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2023 5:36 PM

Re: Byrne & Barnes, you can hear that album on Spotify.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2023 5:51 PM

One of my favorites of Lisa's. It must have been a single with a budgety video but I missed it if it was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2023 5:55 PM

Thanks, R18. I should have mentioned that I found Byrne and Barnes on Spotify.

And if you let their album 'An Eye for an Eye' play out on Spotify, you'll hear a lot of similar music that Spotify offers up based on their algorithms. You end up hearing cuts and groups you may not have heard before. That's more or less what they do with something like 'Byrne and Barnes Radio.'

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2023 6:08 PM

R16, funny you mentioned Pages because I have a few of their songs in my library. Tell Me is my favorite song from that album. It sounds like it would be a theme song to an '80s family sitcom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2023 6:11 PM

I was never a huge Bananarama fan - preferring their earlier stuff to what they released once they fell down the Stock/Aiken/Waterman rabbit hole - but this always struck me as a song that should have been a much bigger hit, especially in America. It had sort of a dirty Go-Go's vibe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 1, 2023 6:16 PM

'Pages' does a great cover of one of my favorite songs - 'Who's Right, Who's Wrong' - written by and recorded by Kenny Loggins - on their 'Future Street' album. You can hear Loggins doing backup on the cut.

Randy Crawford and Al Jarreau also did a great cover of 'Who's Right, Who's Wrong'. Really great version, live at the Montreux Jazz Festival. Not ever recorded by either of them. You can find it. on YouTube.

Speaking of 'Deep cuts, non-hits and B-sides'...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2023 6:30 PM

"Promises" from Streisand, 1981. Only hit #48 on the Hot 100. Should've been a bigger hit - was a fun, bouncy single. So different from the previous three singles she released off 'Guilty'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 1, 2023 6:44 PM

Late 00s electro pop from Xenomania. Mini Viva were launched as Girls Aloud were coming to a natural end. Left My Heart In Tokyo was a hit but I Wish wasn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 1, 2023 7:00 PM

"The Twiiight Garden" is often cited as a favorite by fans of The Cure. .. It didn't get released on the album "Wish" and only appeared as the b-side to the lead single from that album, "High."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2023 10:50 PM

Blondie's "Suzy and Jeffery". It was only released as a B side to "The Tide Is High" until their CD compilations started coming out in the late 90's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2023 11:34 PM

Gold Dust Woman, which was the flip side of You Make Loving Fun, which I loved, too.

by Anonymousreply 28June 25, 2023 1:34 AM

Moonlight Drive, which was flip side of, Love Me Two Times, which also great.^^

by Anonymousreply 29June 25, 2023 1:36 AM

I was supposed to be the A-side, and even got a video, but no, the female empowerment anthem on the flip side got the spins - and I'm all but forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 25, 2023 2:27 AM

I'm so totally of my time, and yes, that's Thomas Dolby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 25, 2023 2:30 AM

Lots of Tori Amos ones.

Take to the Sky is probably my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 32June 25, 2023 2:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!