Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ken Paxton, Texas attorney general, impeached by state House of Representatives

Austin, Texas — The GOP-led Texas House of Representatives on Saturday voted decisively to impeach Attorney General Ken Paxton, who had 20 articles of impeachment brought up against him earlier this week.

The final vote was 121 voting to impeach, with 23 voting against impeachment and two voting present. Paxton will now be immediately removed from his job pending a Senate trial.

The 20 articles of impeachment against Paxton included accusations of bribery, obstruction of justice and abuse of the public trust. Paxton has been under FBI investigation for years over accusations that he used his office to help a donor and was separately indicted on securities fraud charges in 2015.

Paxton released a statement immediately after the vote calling it an "ugly spectacle" and said it was a "politically motivated sham since the beginning."

"[House Speaker Dade] Phelan's coalition of Democrats and liberal Republicans is now in lockstep with the Biden Administration, the abortion industry, anti-gun zealots, and woke corporations to sabotage my work as Attorney General, including our ongoing litigation to stop illegal immigration, uphold the rule of law and protect the constitutional right of every Texan," Paxton said.

Paxton's wife, Angela Paxton, is a state senator and could preside over the trial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 22, 2023 7:52 PM

[quote]"[House Speaker Dade] Phelan's coalition of Democrats and liberal Republicans is now in lockstep with the Biden Administration, the abortion industry, anti-gun zealots, and woke corporations to sabotage my work as Attorney General, including our ongoing litigation to stop illegal immigration, uphold the rule of law and protect the constitutional right of every Texan," Paxton said.

Because...of course.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2023 10:35 PM

I'm so glad that this happened if only to puncture his standing. But I doubt the TX Senate - in which his wife is a member - will convict.

Plus the rupture in the TX GOP is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2023 10:37 PM

I love seeing a party turn on its own. It’s the way it should be much more often.

For both parties.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2023 10:40 PM

The Texas Senate has 31 seats, Republicans have 19 of them. To get the required 2/3 majority the Democrats will need at least ten R's to vote with them. Possible, but difficult.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2023 10:42 PM

I watched on YouTube, very interesting

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2023 10:42 PM

What interested was careful explanation of what impeachment is and why Paxton is being impeached. They spent time exploring both issues

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2023 10:44 PM

None of this has anything to do with principle. Paxton went after Phelan for being blind drunk while officiating and Phelan gave payback.

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2023 10:48 PM

Typical Republican fuckface who adores Trump, who never takes responsibility for anything he does, and plays the victim card to the hilt, just like his Cheeto Daddy. I live in Texas, and the imbeciles voted him in office yet again when he was under multiple indictments. Hope they throw the book at him. Of course he and his moron fan base will just blame the left, as always.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2023 10:48 PM

OP please remember to add “flounder-faced” when talking about Ken Paxton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2023 10:48 PM

60 of 83 Republicans voted to impeach him. If the same ratio holds in the Senate, that would be just enough (along with the Democrats) to convict.

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2023 10:50 PM

" drain the swap", they are the swamp.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2023 10:55 PM

R11 yup. People gullible enough to believe Trump when he said it. Trump is the biggest fucking alligator in the swamp.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2023 10:59 PM

[quote]" drain the swap", they are the swamp.

Projection has always been a major tool for them, r11.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2023 10:59 PM

Paxton has made a lot of enemies amongst his fellow GOP in Texas. Our idiot Gov Gregg Abbott can appoint a temp AG, sorry to say, it will be another maga wacko. but it is always delicious to watch these fights. The GOP is chomping at the bit to go after much hated Ted Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2023 11:02 PM

I'll drink to that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2023 11:02 PM

Anyone know how minor DL celebrity and ex-gay Li'l Briscoe Cane voted?

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2023 11:14 PM

The Chair recgon liakjajkfaj jakfjak jv blurrneljarekl..

Opoosition ahouklbj brlarljarlara.ar

saTe o f tex ass joaiufa jkj bajoiraj a....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2023 11:18 PM

I thought there has to be a trial or hearing or something? So he's just... fired?

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2023 11:18 PM

[quote] "[House Speaker Dade] Phelan's coalition of Democrats and liberal Republicans is now in lockstep with the Biden Administration, the abortion industry, anti-gun zealots, and woke corporations to sabotage my work as Attorney General, including our ongoing litigation to stop illegal immigration, uphold the rule of law and protect the constitutional right of every Texan," Paxton said.

I'm sad he forgot transsexuals, drag queens, and the Disney corporation, who are also in league with them.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2023 11:19 PM

A corrupt republican? Who’d’ve thunk.

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2023 11:24 PM

Haha R19.

I'm starting to like Dade Phelan.

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2023 11:25 PM

[quote]" drain the swap", they are the swamp.

They swamped the drain.

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2023 11:36 PM

Timeline: Events that led to Ken Paxton's impeachment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2023 11:50 PM

He threatened lawmakers if they voted for his impeachment

What a tool

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2023 11:53 PM

Paxton was ordered to pay a 3 million dollar fine and attempted to use taxpayers money for this. A bold bitch.

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2023 11:57 PM

What a loser that Ken Hackston is. He didn’t get enough dirt on his Republican colleagues before committing fraud to prevent his impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 26May 28, 2023 12:54 AM

[quote]Paxton went after Phelan for being blind drunk while officiating

I know everyone is saying he was drunk but to me it sounded more like that female reporter who couldn’t get her words out due to migraine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 28, 2023 1:28 AM

Not drunk?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 28, 2023 2:50 AM

[quote]I thought there has to be a trial or hearing or something? So he's just... fired?

He's suspended from office until the Senate trial. If the Senate convicts him, he's removed permanently from office (and can never hold elected office again). If they don't convict, he's reinstated to his position. In the meantime, Governor Abbott will appoint a temporary Attorney General.

As a Texan, I'm embarrassed that our Attorney General is so notoriously corrupt that even people in other parts of the country and the world know who he is. I couldn't tell you who the Attorney General is in any other state.

by Anonymousreply 29May 28, 2023 3:04 AM

When does ♿ get the boot

by Anonymousreply 30May 28, 2023 3:12 AM

So this is how much it takes for Republicans to turn on their own?

INCREDIBLE!

by Anonymousreply 31May 28, 2023 3:16 AM

[quote]Paxton was ordered to pay a 3 million dollar fine and attempted to use taxpayers money for this. A bold bitch.

Phelan objected to taxpayers paying for that fine.

by Anonymousreply 32May 28, 2023 4:27 AM

[quote]Audible laughs and confusion on the House floor as Rep. @ VoteAnnJohnson shares how @ KenPaxtonTX was given $100,000 from someone he met with at a Dairy Queen who said God told them to give the money to Paxton. Paxton did not report the money - or other $100k gifts. #txlege

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 28, 2023 4:30 AM

All of these corrupt Baby Boomer politicians need to go away or just die already.

by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2023 5:31 AM

[quote]Impeached AG of Texas, @ KenPaxtonTX giving a news interview saying that if he wouldn’t have stopped 2.5 Million mail-in ballots during the Presidential Election, that Biden would have won Texas & Trump would have lost Texas.

Collin County is home to Plano, a fairly conservative northern suburb of Dallas, corporate home to Dr. Pepper, Pizza Hut and JCPenney, among other companies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 30, 2023 8:31 PM

So he’s admitting to federal election fraud? ^^^

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2023 8:35 PM

That's how it sounds to me, r36.

by Anonymousreply 37May 30, 2023 8:39 PM

Put Texas in the BLUE column for the 2020 election.

by Anonymousreply 38May 30, 2023 11:21 PM

[quote] Impeached AG of Texas, @ KenPaxtonTX giving a news interview saying that if he wouldn’t have stopped 2.5 Million mail-in ballots during the Presidential Election, that Biden would have won Texas & Trump would have lost Texas.

Why isn't the "mainstream media" reporting on this?

I guess ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, and MSNBC don't want to get cancelled by right-wing voters.

They wouldn't dare cross them.

by Anonymousreply 39May 30, 2023 11:23 PM

Damn, the state GOP is [italic]serious[/italic] about this.

[quote]In their first interview together since being selected to prosecute the impeachment case against Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, Dick DeGuerin and Rusty Hardin said the evidence against Paxton is as “strong as horseradish.”

[bold]“I think the facts are much worse than either one of us guessed, that we did not know until last week and started reading,” said Hardin on a new episode of the Y’all-itics podcast released Friday evening.

No one hires both those guys unless they're going for the throat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 3, 2023 8:55 AM

R40, agreed. Those guys don’t take cases unless they KNOW they are going to win. Plus, Paxton made a lot of enemies amongst his fellow GOP as has that total buttplug , Ted Cruz

by Anonymousreply 41June 3, 2023 9:45 PM

We've gone through the looking glass, Alice.

[quote]“Number one, I was surprised it happened so quickly and number two, I was surprised it took so long to happen quickly,” said Gohmert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 4, 2023 2:10 AM

[bold]Nate Paul, Austin developer at center of Ken Paxton impeachment, arrested in Travis County[/bold]

It is not immediately clear what Paul was charged with, but Travis County officials confirmed he was being held in the jail at the request of the FBI. Paxton’s deputies accused Paul of bribing the now-suspended attorney general in 2020.

story at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 9, 2023 10:00 AM

I'm waiting to see how long it'll take before he resigns, because that's exactly what he's going to do before he lets it get all the way to trial. Now the feds need to indict him for all his crimes. He belongs in prison.

by Anonymousreply 44June 9, 2023 11:02 AM

R44, he won't resign. Cletus and his fellow yokels keep sending $ to Kenny to 'own the libs". No way is Paxton turning down that free money.

by Anonymousreply 45June 9, 2023 6:59 PM

I love bribery tales because it doesn't take much to bribe these idiots. Some can even be bribed by "pushy", 🤮

by Anonymousreply 46June 9, 2023 8:31 PM

R45 just wait and see. Once Paxton decides that he's not going to win this one he'll resign. Granted he will let it go as far as possible to rake in that money, but the day will come when he'll know the jig is up.

by Anonymousreply 47June 10, 2023 1:05 AM

Nate Paul, the Austin real estate investor central to allegations of illegal conduct by suspended Attorney General Ken Paxton, has been charged with eight counts of making false statements to financial institutions.

Paul, 36, allegedly overstated his assets and understated his liabilities to fraudulently obtain loans, according to a 23-page indictment filed by federal prosecutors Friday.

The government is seeking $172 million in restitution from Paul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 10, 2023 9:04 AM

[bold]Texas Sen. Angela Paxton barred from voting in husband's impeachment trial[/bold]

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas state Sen. Angela Paxton, the wife of Attorney General Ken Paxton, is barred from voting in the impeachment trial that could lead to her husband's permanent removal from office, the Republican-controlled Senate decided Wednesday.

The rule settles a question that has loomed over the Texas Capitol since Ken Paxton last month became just the third sitting official to be impeached in Texas' nearly 200-year history.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 22, 2023 3:07 PM

That's good news, R49. Frankly, I'm surprised since so many Republicans carry on as if they couldn't care less about ethics.

Paxton must have a lot of enemies in the TX legislature.

by Anonymousreply 50June 22, 2023 7:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!