Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Tina Turner live in Switzerland?

Tina Turner died at age 83 at her home in Küsnacht near Zurich, Switzerland, her representative confirmed on Wednesday. The music legend had lived in Europe for decades and her neighbors in Switzerland paid tribute to the star this week, laying flowers outside of her estate.

"When she was passing by, she was smiling, she could feel that we were looking at her, but was always very discreet," a neighbor named Christine told Reuters.

"She's been a part of my life for over 35 years now and she was a good neighbor, she showed up in town, she was very well liked," a neighbor named Kosta said.

Why did Turner move to Switzerland?

During a 1997 interview with Larry King, Turner said she left America because her "success" and boyfriend, Erwin Bach, were in another country. Turner was born in Nutbush, Tennessee.

She and Bach, a German music executive, first moved to Switzerland in 1995, according to Reuters. She became a Swiss citizen, giving up her American citizenship, shortly after marrying him 2013.

In an interview with Mike Wallace for "60 Minutes" that same year, Turner explained her popularity in Europe. At the time, she was expected to gross $100 million during a three-month European tour and Wallace said he had no clue Turner was such a huge star there.

"No one in America knows that," Turner replied.

When Wallace asked how "American" she is, Turner said: "Still very much American. I still don't speak the foreign tongues over here yet. I still pay American taxes. I have property in America. All of my businesses run from America still," she said. "But in my heart? I don't think I will go back home."

Turner and Bach bought a new 24,000-square-foot home on Lake Zurich for an estimated $77 million in 2021, according to Swiss newspaper Handelszeitung.

During a 2019 interview for "CBS Mornings," Turner showed Gayle King her home in Zurich. "Is there anything in life, Tina Turner, that you want that you don't have?" King asked.

"No," Turner replied. "I have everything. When I sit at the Lake Zurich, in the house that I have, I am so serene. I have no problems."

"I had a very hard life that I didn't put blame on anything or anyone," said Turner, who has publicly spoken about the abuse she suffered during her marriage with Ike Turner." I got through it, I lived through it with no blame and I'm happy,"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202May 29, 2023 10:28 AM

I think at some point she renounced her US citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2023 7:38 PM

Perhaps she wanted to live in a first world country.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2023 7:39 PM

Her then boyfriend and now husband ran EMI from there. That is why she moved there. It was more for love than anything. She had previously lived in England and South of France, but ended up in Switzerland because that is where her love was.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2023 7:44 PM

She’s not the first Black artist to leave America for Europe. There are several who have done it over the years with varying success.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2023 7:44 PM

R4 And your point is?

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2023 7:51 PM

Ike and Tina's early success stemmed from a tour of the UK with The Rolling Stones. Their early records were successful here.

Her 1980's career was launched in the Britain, not the US. She was a hundred times more popular in Europe

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2023 7:51 PM

"I think at some point she renounced her US citizenship."

Switzerland does not allow dual citizenship. Ergo, she forfeited her US citizenship. She had to learn the language and pass a very strenuous Swiss civics test.

If I had her money, I'd do the same thing and get the fuck out of this shithole country populated with 70,000,000 assholes who think DJT is a great, honorable man.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2023 7:55 PM

R7 How bout it! It’s too bad more everyday folks can’t vote with their feet like she did.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2023 7:57 PM

Maybe the health care? There was a story this week about a guy who was visiting back home and had an appendectomy to the tune of $32K.

He had Swiss insurance which agreed to pay him for TWICE what it would have cost there because he was in another country, $8K. So the same procedure there would have been $4K.

We are so fucked. My intuition is that all this money, the huge student debt, the outrageous patient charges to pay off the student debt, the large salaries for hospital administrators all go back to collegiate academia.

I am a huge liberal. Unlike the GOP, I am against government micro-managing. But it is about time for a regulatory agency to get involved in that cycle.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2023 7:59 PM

"the Britain"

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2023 8:00 PM

R7 you are incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2023 8:03 PM

She was still having to pay tax in the US even though she didn’t live there. Switzerland doesn’t allow dual citizenship. Perhaps she got tax benefits if she were a citizen. She got married decades later to her boyfriend. She probably wanted legal protection for both of them and perhaps save on taxes by being married. She lived in the UK for a time with her future husband. He then settled in Switzerland with her. Tina was accepted in Europe, not as much in the US, especially with the black community. She went where people supported her.

Tina was going to be 84, the same age her mother died. She talked about that just recently. Her sister died at 74. She was ready to die a decade ago. She wasn’t fearful in the slightest.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2023 8:06 PM

Several African American opera singers found greater success in Europe than here, and stayed.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2023 8:08 PM

Swizerland is my main residence and Egypt my retreat. I have other passports, too including American. Dual nationality has been permitted in CH (Confoederatio Helvetica) for decades.

Switzerland is clean and clam and orderly. IF YOU HAVE MONEY HERE, it's even more clean and calm and orderly. Anyone who has experienced chaos or instability or fear in their hectic lives elsewhere can immediately sense the benefits of a calm refuse. It has a good climate, as well.

Also TIna must appreciate privacy and privacy is a cultural value here.

There are many downsides to CH but there are upsides that would appeal to a person with Turner's life and situation.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2023 8:09 PM

heheh clean and calm, not clam. The clams don't have much presence here.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2023 8:10 PM

sorry I can't see what I'm typing. A refuge. not refuse.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2023 8:11 PM

Who wouldn’t, if they had her money? I’d buy myself a nice European chateau as well.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2023 8:18 PM

You could buy the chateau IN Switzerland. We have both kinds. Castles, and 17 and 18th century chateau. There's a gorgeous one above Montreux which was for sale for several years. Pepperdine University bought it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2023 8:24 PM

Like Michael Jackson, Tina didn't like negroes. With her wigs and skin lighteners, she perceived herself as a really tanned Swiss Miss.

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2023 8:25 PM

Residences and citizenship: Tina was a Swiss citizen. She renounced her U.S. citizenship in 2013.

Turner began living at Château Algonquin in Küsnacht on the shore of Lake Zurich in 1994. Turner previously owned property in Cologne, London, and Los Angeles, and a villa on the French Riviera named Anna Fleur.

In 2013, Turner applied for Swiss citizenship, stating she would relinquish her U.S. citizenship. The stated reasons for the relinquishment were that she no longer had any strong ties to the United States and "has no plans to reside" there in the future. In April, she undertook a mandatory citizenship test which included advanced knowledge of German (the official language of the canton of Zürich) and of Swiss history. On April 22, 2013, she became a citizen of Switzerland and was issued a Swiss passport. Turner signed the paperwork to relinquish her American citizenship at the U.S. embassy in Bern on October 24, 2013.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2023 8:26 PM

That's not true about Tina.

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2023 8:27 PM

I never got her....I thought her music was just okay. Maybe her presentation turned my off as a gayling...

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2023 8:36 PM

For us in Germany, she is an absolute goddess. I imagine it's the same for Swiss people. Her unassuming way, natural grace and her absolute dedication on stage sealed the deal. My generation never associated her with Ike Turner at all - it was merely a fun fact that she used to be part of a duo, like Cher. It was clear that her ex-partner couldn't hold a candle to her talent, energy or charisma. I grew up with "I can't stand the rain ..." and later the Bond song, Nutbush City Limits etc.. and of course the anthem "We don't need another hero" (one of the best songs every written and perfectly performed by her). She owned these songs, she didn't just sing them. We will miss her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2023 8:36 PM

It is wild to think about because I am American and consider her A List. Then again, I have always thought Elvis is respected more in places like the UK than he is here.

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2023 8:45 PM

The 'Tina' musical premiered in London in 2018, It's still going strong. The Broadway run lasted barely 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2023 9:02 PM

I wonder if she ever socialized with Frida from ABBA who has lived in Switzerland for many years now. Would have been interesting to get a collaboration between them

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2023 9:05 PM

Or Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2023 9:09 PM

[quote]That's not true about Tina.

R21. What's not true?

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2023 9:12 PM

[quote]I never got her....I thought her music was just okay. Maybe her presentation turned my off as a gayling...

R22. I would say that you have trouble appreciating greatness and overwhelming talent.

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2023 9:13 PM

I love, love, love the idea of Tina and Julie enjoying an afternoon on Tina's patio or veranda, whatever... having tea or a glass of wine. Maybe they'd laugh, Tina would amuse Dame Andrews with her version of something from Mary Poppins and Julie would ask about the filming of Mad Max Thunderdome.

Tina would then decide to call her friend Cher to gloat the she was hanging with Julie... Cher would complain that she wasn't there and then start singing "Just You Wait Tina Turner, just you wait" (her parody of the song from My Fair Lady.

by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2023 9:15 PM

Well there's legendary Shania Twain on the other side of the country on sunnier Lac Leman (Lake Geneva).

by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2023 9:17 PM

She needed to get far away from Ike and them kids.

by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2023 9:17 PM

“Frida, we need to do a collab… ☠️ “

by Anonymousreply 33May 25, 2023 9:18 PM

Did Tina not get along with her sons? That part about "no major ties to the US" in the citizenship declaration makes me wonder.

by Anonymousreply 34May 25, 2023 9:32 PM

I would assume she got married so she knew everything she had would be left to her husband who is much younger than her. Usually long term couples get married after a time to insure a smooth transition of assets upon the death of one.

by Anonymousreply 35May 25, 2023 10:07 PM

It is funny in the OP's pic it looks like Tina is about to take a swing at Gayle King defending herself. It's very much "get off my property bitch" screenshot.

by Anonymousreply 36May 25, 2023 10:09 PM

taxes

by Anonymousreply 37May 25, 2023 10:13 PM

For the cheese.

by Anonymousreply 38May 25, 2023 10:24 PM

R36 she's actually teaching Gayle to dance (see around :32)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 25, 2023 10:26 PM

When I die I want to go to Switzerland. It is unearthly beautiful, high functioning, and the people are mature, intelligent and cultured.

No wonder she lived there.

by Anonymousreply 40May 25, 2023 10:29 PM

R1, it was mentioned in OP's post, you didn't even have to read the article. I will not reward your laziness and tell you what it says

by Anonymousreply 41May 25, 2023 10:34 PM

[quote] It is unearthly beautiful, high functioning, and the people are mature, intelligent and cultured.

It's also 90 percent white/Swiss and you have to have about 50 mil for them to allow you to live there.

by Anonymousreply 42May 25, 2023 10:34 PM

R41 Lick me where I shit, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 43May 25, 2023 10:35 PM

[Quote] I wonder if she ever socialized with Frida from ABBA who has lived in Switzerland for many years now. Would have been interesting to get a collaboration between them

R26 that would have been shiteous. They had nothing in common musically or performance wise.

by Anonymousreply 44May 25, 2023 10:45 PM

[Quote] Did Tina not get along with her sons? That part about "no major ties to the US" in the citizenship declaration makes me wonder.

R34 she didn’t have anything to do with her sons or Ike’s sons (stepsons). She said her mother didn’t like her.

by Anonymousreply 45May 25, 2023 10:47 PM

Tina's post-Ike success was rooted in the UK and Germany. It's forgotten now but during her resurgence in the 80s was mixed in the US as she her music was criticized by some black critics as being "too white" and by some white critics as "too black." Despite her songs charting well in the US, it was not until 1993 when the movie "What's Love Got To Do With" turned Turner into cultural icon status in the US. Tina always said she was famous in the US but a star in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 46May 25, 2023 11:01 PM

R46 those black critics didn’t have a social media voice (not around then) or get much of any press attention because of her overwhelming success in the US during the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 47May 25, 2023 11:11 PM

That naysaying critical voice wasn’t widely known to 99% of the population in the 80s. Tina chose not to do r&b music and wanted to do pop/rock, which she enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 48May 25, 2023 11:14 PM

Who wouldn't live in Switzerland if they had the chance? I've been dreaming of a chalet in the Alps since I read "Heidi".

by Anonymousreply 49May 25, 2023 11:15 PM

R49 are you transitioning?

by Anonymousreply 50May 25, 2023 11:55 PM

Because it's nice living in another country! Try it! There's much less stress it's like all the weight of the problems in this country leave.

by Anonymousreply 51May 25, 2023 11:59 PM

R50 huh?

by Anonymousreply 52May 26, 2023 12:18 AM

Frau Rottenmeier weighs in at r50.

by Anonymousreply 53May 26, 2023 12:18 AM

It may be stereotypical, but I have heard the Swiss described as a bit cold and unfeeling.

by Anonymousreply 54May 26, 2023 12:19 AM

Their cheese has holes.

by Anonymousreply 55May 26, 2023 12:21 AM

[quote] I have heard the Swiss described as a bit cold and unfeeling.

Culturally they share that with Germans and Austrians.

(Switzerland has several languages but a majority of the country speaks German - Swiss-German being a slightly different evolution/dialect of that language than some of the dialects you'd find in Germany itself.)

by Anonymousreply 56May 26, 2023 12:22 AM

She wanted to perfect her yodeling skills.

by Anonymousreply 57May 26, 2023 12:24 AM

Did she do any singing with DJ Bobo?

by Anonymousreply 58May 26, 2023 12:28 AM

Healthcare in Switzerland is very high quality. By the sound of it she was quite ill having a stroke and then cancer. Poor woman.

by Anonymousreply 59May 26, 2023 12:50 AM

Tina explains here in the first couple of minutes why she got married and why she did what she did - she wanted her husband to have a say in the event of her death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 26, 2023 2:06 AM

Her mother was absolutely awful to her. She suddenly showed up again in Tina’s life once she had money. I think she watched her mother leave the house and abandoned her. I can’t remember exactly but it was truly tragic. Tina took care of her mother even though, she said, her mother didn’t love her.

by Anonymousreply 61May 26, 2023 2:08 AM

R42 Bullshit, a friend of mine moved there. You don't have to be a millionaire, just find work or prove you can sustain yourself probably.

by Anonymousreply 62May 26, 2023 11:45 AM

When this OP isn't posting long news articles unnecessarily, we posts racist shit on other threads.

by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2023 11:56 AM

She's beloved in Australia and New Zealand too - she was the face (and voice) of rugby league in the eighties and early nineties. The ads were provocative for the time, but very iconic for a generation of Antipodeans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 26, 2023 12:00 PM

For the free supply of Ricola given to every Swiss.

by Anonymousreply 65May 26, 2023 12:02 PM

Why not?

by Anonymousreply 66May 26, 2023 12:10 PM

Given the opportunity to live in Switzerland…one lives in Switzerland. It’s also known there for tons of “rich people / experimental” medical treatments.

by Anonymousreply 67May 26, 2023 12:19 PM

The population of Switzerland 🇨🇭 is tiny compared to the U.S.

It has roughly the same population as NYC.

by Anonymousreply 68May 26, 2023 12:22 PM

Fun fact: I work in meeting planning, events, US and international conferences, etc., and Switzerland is one of the few countries left that allows you to use—encourages your to use—real candles in hotel ballrooms. It's a fire hazard, but it is so "Switzerland," so they wrinkle their collective forehead at the concept of flameless candles.

by Anonymousreply 69May 26, 2023 1:11 PM

^^ useless fact

by Anonymousreply 70May 26, 2023 1:28 PM

R70 It is an element that contributes to the brand attributes of Swiss culture, Mary. Similar to the French, but a bit different.

by Anonymousreply 71May 26, 2023 1:39 PM

Haven't had wars in centuries. Results include - many towns with picturesque ancient little "old towns" at the core. Buildings built to last because they are never destroyed. Meaning quality materials. Huge building boom right now, so who is to say if quality will hold. Lausanne one of the top 10 fastest growing small cities in Europe. Three tier quality of food in supermarkets. If you can afford to buy local it's amazing. Restaurants terribly overpriced compared to most other countries. on the other hand, one of the best infrastructures for quality of life of any country and even average folks enjoy that.

by Anonymousreply 72May 26, 2023 1:43 PM

Not a fan of Switzerland after visiting friends in Geneva. Dull and insanely expensive. Lots of rules restricting foreigners living there.

And Swiss German is a sinus infection disguised as a dialect.

But happy that it worked for her.

by Anonymousreply 73May 26, 2023 1:49 PM

[quote]Because it's nice living in another country! Try it! There's much less stress it's like all the weight of the problems in this country leave.

So true. I did it and all the troubles in America melted away. The culture is different. And since I’m not fluent in the language and can’t vote anyway, I don’t pay much attention to the politics. I just lead my life on a human level, not a social justice warrior level. Ignorance can be bliss. And guess what, the world didn’t stop.

by Anonymousreply 74May 26, 2023 1:54 PM

It worked out for me very well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 26, 2023 2:02 PM

Tina, in the Alps? What do we do with a problem like Tina?

Unpredictable as weather, she’s as flighty as a feather

She’s a darling! She’s a demon! She’s a lamb!

She’d outpester any pest, drive a hornet from its nest

She could twerk a whirling dervish out of whirl

She is gentle! She is wild! She’s a riddle! She’s a child!

She’s a headache! She’s an angel!

Now she's DEAD!

by Anonymousreply 76May 26, 2023 4:37 PM

I love Swiss Miss cocoa

by Anonymousreply 77May 26, 2023 5:23 PM

Around the time of Private Dancer I met a couple at a pool party of about 10 people. He was a member of Tina's band and she was his wife or girlfriend, I can't exactly remember. We were all having a drink and probably smoking some weed when she suddenly told a nasty n****r joke. My jaw dropped. Even 40 years ago, I had never witnessed anyone doing that in front of perfect strangers, which I was. Feeling quite offended, I said, You'all work for Tina Turner and you go around talking like that? And she said, Tina told me that joke first! She loves a good n****r joke!

by Anonymousreply 78May 26, 2023 5:39 PM

R78 Just like Miss Dolly Parton!

by Anonymousreply 79May 26, 2023 6:29 PM

Her fondness for listening to yodelers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 26, 2023 6:42 PM

I need to know how her estate on the lake is worth so much. Is it because everything in Switzerland is very expensive? 76 million seems a bit much, especially as it came with the former owner taking up the boathouse as a tenant.

by Anonymousreply 81May 26, 2023 6:51 PM

Did she wear dotted Swiss?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 26, 2023 6:53 PM

She enjoyed Swiss Miss

by Anonymousreply 83May 26, 2023 6:56 PM

I'm sure Anna Mae enjoyed quite a few Swiss Misses in her time.

by Anonymousreply 84May 26, 2023 7:16 PM

Magnetic performer but a shell of a human being.

by Anonymousreply 85May 26, 2023 7:24 PM

R85 = ReRe from beyond the grave

by Anonymousreply 86May 26, 2023 7:28 PM

R85 you didn’t know her. And I doubt you know your ass from your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 87May 26, 2023 7:35 PM

The average price for an 8 room house in Küsnacht is 26 million CHF. She looks like she has a compound of sorts and it's a prime spot on the lake. Küsnacht is a very wealthy town.

by Anonymousreply 88May 26, 2023 9:49 PM

If I break down the word Kusnacht it means "kiss night" or night kiss.

It probably doesn't really mean that but that totally sounds like a Tina song title LOL

by Anonymousreply 89May 26, 2023 9:55 PM

American swiss cheese is nothing like Emmentaler or Gruyere, which are true Swiss cheeses with no holes. That's American schlock.

by Anonymousreply 90May 26, 2023 10:16 PM

“You be good to me!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 27, 2023 2:00 AM

Isn't Switzerland predicted to be one of those places where climate change is going to have a profound effect?

by Anonymousreply 92May 27, 2023 2:13 AM

Thanks for the reply r88. It must be a beautiful area.

If anyone's interested, the jazz station WBGO does several hours of classic R&B on Sat and Sun every weekend and this Sunday's program will be featuring a tribute to Tina. It's on from 12-6 pm Eastern. You can listen online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 27, 2023 2:16 AM

I agree with R73! Worked in Geneva in 1999 on a AMEX Y2K project. Even the cashiers blokes in McDonalds were major snobs for no reason... Not a fan, but glad she was happy there...

by Anonymousreply 94May 27, 2023 2:35 AM

I'm sure Gilles Peterson on BBC 6 will have his Saturday show this week be all about Tina/Ike and Tina (more obscure tracks).

by Anonymousreply 95May 27, 2023 2:37 AM

Geneva is the worst bit of a deeply beautiful country, Basel not far behind. Everyone in Europe knows this.

by Anonymousreply 96May 27, 2023 2:49 AM

Switzerland is stunning. It looks like the place is just brand new. In spring/summer the place is a deep verdant green, and in the winter the place is bathed in a blueish-white light. The infrastructure is amazing, and taxes are relatively low, because the place attracts so many wealthy people. Food prices are insanely expensive though. I visited a tourist site where a bottle of water was 15 Euros. Admittedly, this was a tourist trap, but the people I was visiting with were not at all outraged by the price!

The downside of such prosperity is that the place is deeply conformist. Rocking the boat is not welcome, and people find it hard to let new people into their social circle. They make their friends at school/university and then they get married and that is it. If you move there as an adult single person, you may well find that your only social contacts are from the ex-pat community.

I had a former colleague who grew up on the French side of Lake Geneva, and moved to Geneva for work. She had a wonderful job, for an diplomatic mission in the city, but despite growing up in a town less than two hours away, she gave up the job and moved to the UK because she found the Swiss culture very conservative and not very welcoming.

A Swiss friend also moved back to Switzerland with his family after a decade in Scotland (where their kids were born) and it almost broke his marriage. They moved into a beautiful ancient house in a small town. It was an idyllic place, but it was impossible to feel at home, even for a Swiss native (not to mention his family). People stopped talking when they went into the village shop, coldly brushed off attempts at small talk. And although the kids made friends at school, there were no invites for playdates or social contact between the parents. After 2 or 3 years, my friends gave up and headed back to the UK.

by Anonymousreply 97May 27, 2023 3:14 AM

I feel sad that the world has been denied a collaboration between Tina and Sandra the Swiss Miss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98May 27, 2023 3:19 AM

Off-topic but I've been playing this on repeat for the past hour. RIP Tina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 27, 2023 4:21 AM

r99 that's such a great song, a song a lot of people can relate to.

by Anonymousreply 100May 27, 2023 4:39 AM

R100, it really is a classic that should get more recognition than it does. I actually remember this song from when I was six years old since that's when Whats Love Got to Do With It came out. But I just discovered the long version off the sountrack on spotify where it's ~6 minutes. It's even better in the full version.

by Anonymousreply 101May 27, 2023 5:08 AM

And now...simply Tina's best ever.

Damn, this song. There's nothing better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 27, 2023 8:32 AM

Maybe even a better version...LIVE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 27, 2023 8:43 AM

R99. 'I Don't Wanna Fight'...gorgeous song.

R102. Tina said 'The Best' was her favorite song.

by Anonymousreply 104May 27, 2023 9:10 AM

Rest in peace to Anna Mae Bullock and the great Tina Turner.

by Anonymousreply 105May 27, 2023 9:13 AM

Celine salutes Tina with this great cover...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106May 27, 2023 9:48 AM

r106 yuck

by Anonymousreply 107May 27, 2023 9:53 AM

Ann-Margret and Tina Turner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108May 27, 2023 10:12 AM

The lovely Ann-Margaret was the one who took Tina in after she left Ike.

by Anonymousreply 109May 27, 2023 10:22 AM

Ann-Margaret was probably instrumental in encouraging Tina to get an act together and perform on the Las Vegas strip.

by Anonymousreply 110May 27, 2023 10:39 AM

Tina was loved in Switzerland by those who knew her. This included her neighbors and mail carrier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111May 27, 2023 10:40 AM

[quote] It's also 90 percent white/Swiss and you have to have about 50 mil for them to allow you to live there.

What? White, Swiss people in Switzerland?! Heavens above!

by Anonymousreply 112May 27, 2023 10:42 AM

In 1983 Tina Turner relaunched her career on an anarchic British music show The Tube.

She was booked to do one song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113May 27, 2023 10:49 AM

The show had to end for the news after that, but Tina carried on and almost did a full concert that was shown the week after.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114May 27, 2023 10:52 AM

Sometimes she was quite skinny. Did she ever drink or do drugs?

by Anonymousreply 115May 27, 2023 11:32 AM

[quote] They make their friends at school/university and then they get married and that is it. If you move there as an adult single person, you may well find that your only social contacts are from the ex-pat community.

This is many smaller towns here in the US, too. Though it sounds like the Swiss take it to an extreme.

by Anonymousreply 116May 27, 2023 1:39 PM

R46 very true. I was 17 at the time when Private Dancer came out, and her comeback was quite big and talked about at the time. I don’t remember the critical comments about too white too black however. But her comeback was fairly brief in the US in terms of commercial success. Really from 1984-1986 when her singles reached their peak. After that it was hit or miss. Private Dancer and Break Every Rule didn’t even hit number one on the Billboard album chart but went top 5. She was hugely popular, even in the Ike days, overseas. She told Larry King she was basically Madonna level popular there.

by Anonymousreply 117May 27, 2023 1:56 PM

[quote] Really from 1984-1986 when her singles reached their peak. After that it was hit or miss.

If her songs after that period were hit or miss on the U.S. charts, it may be because her music after that period was largely hit or miss and couldn't compare to "What's Love Got to Do With It" or "Better Be Good to Me."

by Anonymousreply 118May 27, 2023 2:14 PM

R118 true. One Of The Living is her best song imo and it didn’t even hit the top 10 in 1985, but she won a well deserved Grammy for it. Simply The Best went top 20, but it has this generic pop song feel to it. Her last top 10 was in 1993 and I Don’t Wanna Fight.

by Anonymousreply 119May 27, 2023 2:38 PM

Interesting R117. Maybe because I grew up gay and in Canada, but I thought Foreign Affair was a big album. Looking now at the charts, it was enormous in Europe, charted a respectable 12 in Canada but didn't break the top 30 in the US. I was surprised at the last point.

by Anonymousreply 120May 27, 2023 2:46 PM

Jimi Hendrix, Chrissie Hynde, and The Killers had their first success in the UK. Debbie Harry has always been much more popular here.

Billy Idol made it big in the US, but was always a bit overlooked here.

by Anonymousreply 121May 27, 2023 3:03 PM

[quote] She’s not the first Black artist to leave America for Europe. There are several who have done it over the years with varying success.

Americans move to Europe everyday. No big thing.

by Anonymousreply 122May 27, 2023 3:13 PM

[quote] Maybe the health care? There was a story this week about a guy who was visiting back home and had an appendectomy to the tune of $32K.

Access to healthcare in the U.S. is abominable but quality of healthcare is first in the world. People of means from all over the world come to the U.S. for medical care.

by Anonymousreply 123May 27, 2023 3:19 PM

[quote] Tina was accepted in Europe, not as much in the US, especially with the black community. She went where people supported her.

Tina was love everywhere by everyone, especially in the "Black community." Something keeps writing this in these DL threads but there isn't a shred of evidence over the last 70 years to support it. Nothing could be as far removed from the "Black community" as DL.

by Anonymousreply 124May 27, 2023 3:23 PM

[quote] It was clear that her ex-partner couldn't hold a candle to her talent, energy or charisma.

Indeed. Ike Turner was a brilliant musician whose talent would be recognized if he hadnt been warped by the trauma of growing up in the Jim Crow South, making him one of the great villains of all time. Tina Turner was a SUPERNOVA who would have eclipsed just about any man regardless of their talent. Ike was the man who discovered fire only to have it burn down his house. His fragile ego couldn't handle her overwhelming talent, charm and magnetism. Too bad for him.

by Anonymousreply 125May 27, 2023 3:36 PM

Don’t pay any attention to piss flap billboard hot 100 singles nympho r117. She was popular in the US for more than 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 126May 27, 2023 3:42 PM

R117, what's shocking to me is that I learned that her first greatest hits compilation Simply the Best didn't even hit the top 100 on the Billboard Charts. That's wild because it was a big hit elsewhere and it even went 8x platinum in Britain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 27, 2023 3:42 PM

[quote] Did Tina not get along with her sons? That part about "no major ties to the US" in the citizenship declaration makes me wonder.

All of her sons were grown men with their own lives and families by the time she left the U.S. She provided for them financially but she could not give them motherly affection because it was foreign to her. Both of her biological sons predeceased her. One of them played in her band for a time

So tragic that a woman who people LOVED so ardently could feel so unloved. I am glad she had comfort and serenity in her final years.

by Anonymousreply 128May 27, 2023 3:42 PM

There is something mentally wrong with hot 100 hot 200 chart nymphos. People who like to click history without any context are useless. Stupid bastards.

by Anonymousreply 129May 27, 2023 3:45 PM

[quote] It's forgotten now but during her resurgence in the 80s was mixed in the US as she her music was criticized by some black critics as being "too white" and by some white critics as "too black." Despite her songs charting well in the US, it was not until 1993 when the movie "What's Love Got To Do With" turned Turner into cultural icon status in the US.

How can that be when almost all of her singles charted higher on the U.S. R&B charts than the U.S. pop charts?! Tina always stated she had an affinity for "rock" rather than "R&B" because for her rock represented freedom and R&B, thematically, was about chains. Notwithstanding, she knew she had devoted fans of every colour. She was not Aretha Franklin or Gladys Knight but she knew she was loved by her Black fans.

by Anonymousreply 130May 27, 2023 3:51 PM

R130 let it rest. That is one asshole’s perception. That wasn’t how it went down.

by Anonymousreply 131May 27, 2023 3:53 PM

American chart success does not translate to impact or fame everywhere else in the world.

Roxy Music and T. Rex (outside “Bang a Gong”) never crossed over to the US but are legendary in Europe. Kate Bush is seen as “alternative” in the United States but was an offbeat mainstream pop star in her home country for a number of years.

It’s also often the case for more singer-songwriter types. Leonard Cohen never seriously charted in the States until he was very old, but his debut album and onwards, he was extremely successful in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 132May 27, 2023 3:54 PM

R113, thank you!!! Brilliant! I have never seen that clip and I have LOTS of Tina footage.

by Anonymousreply 133May 27, 2023 4:02 PM

[quote] [R130] let it rest. That is one asshole’s perception. That wasn’t how it went down.

I don't understand it, though. Do people believe it, or is it just Klan Granny foolishness intended to diminish her? Was Andy Cohen right about Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 134May 27, 2023 4:05 PM

SOME of my fave Tina Turner and Ike & Tina songs

Feel Good

Nutbush City Limits

Sexy Ida Pt.2

The Acid Queen (from the Tommy soundtrack)

Root, Toot, Undisputable, Rock N Roller

Johnny & Mary

Steel Claw

I Might Have Been Queen

I Can’t Stand The Rain (extended version)

Girls

I’ll Be Thunder

Stronger Than The Wind

Goldeneye

In Your Wildest Dreams

by Anonymousreply 135May 27, 2023 4:10 PM

[quote] If her songs after that period were hit or miss on the U.S. charts, it may be because her music after that period was largely hit or miss and couldn't compare to "What's Love Got to Do With It" or "Better Be Good to Me."

Her music was pretty good after that. "Foreign Affair" is one of her best studio albums. Her 'comeback' was justified, well-deserved and astounding but after the dust settled she was still an 'older' woman who couldn't be sold to corporate-owned radio with Madonna, Whitney and Janet thriving. The fact that she was a huge touring act is a testament to her continued popularity for all ages

by Anonymousreply 136May 27, 2023 4:12 PM

Why wouldn't she live in Switzerland?

As others have noted and as she explained on numerous occasions, she enjoyed immense popularity in Europe, more so than in the U.S. and she felt comfortable making her home there. The south of France and Switzerland are places where privacy is accorded a higher value: a stranger might recognize her but more likely than not wouldn't run toward her screaming in delight, demanding autographs and the sharing of confidences, etc. Both are easier places to go about one's business in a more or less normal manner.

The Black population of Europe is 2.4%. France has the highest population at 8.43%, Switzerland has 2.11% or not far off average for the continent. The Black Americans that I have known who moved to Europe or lived there for significant periods of time have offered similar observations about how their race is perceived, particularly in places where they are a minority % in the extreme. People are curious and sometimes ask blunt questions but at the same time are more accepting and don't impose the same stereotypes seen in the U.S.. In standing out more statistically it's in many ways easier to stand out less and to be taken on one's own merits. Not to say it's a continent devoid of racism, only that some Black Americans find some liberation from the relative absence of generational prejudice bubbling beneath the surface as is easily found in the U.S.

And it's not a crime to change countries. The question presumes a tired American perspective of "USA! We're No. 1!" and a disbelief that any sane person might ever want to live anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 137May 27, 2023 4:21 PM

There are reports she was on the Swiss national assisted suicide registry in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 138May 27, 2023 4:22 PM

^^As in she wanted an assisted suicide.

by Anonymousreply 139May 27, 2023 4:23 PM

My friend Karen and I had a perpetual competition as to who was the bigger Tina Turner fan when I was in 7th grade. It ended a year later with me calling Karen a “cunt face” over the phone one afternoon. This is a true story.

by Anonymousreply 140May 27, 2023 4:28 PM

She had end stage renal failure. That is a relatively easy way to go. If her cancer recurred she likely would have ceased dialysis. Pain and discomfort of uremia can be more easily managed and you just slip away. She doesn't strike me as the assisted-suicide type. She was Buddhist and believed she would return.

by Anonymousreply 141May 27, 2023 4:31 PM

I hear you r141. I didn’t just pull that out of my ass. It’s on her wiki. It could have been just a rumor.

by Anonymousreply 142May 27, 2023 4:58 PM

I’d move there in a heartbeat. This country is fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 143May 27, 2023 5:09 PM

R126 R129 of course she was popular more than two years in the US you twats. She still continued to fill stadiums, and fans worldwide loved her great music and survivor narrative. But after 1986, there was a decline in her chart success and her albums and singles weren’t selling as great. This takes nothing away from her talent. Pop music is largely a young performers field, and Tina knew this and was grateful for what she accomplished. Now can your feeble minds grasp this now that I spelled it out for you.

by Anonymousreply 144May 27, 2023 5:41 PM

^^Unnecessary

by Anonymousreply 145May 27, 2023 5:46 PM

R145 so is calling someone a bastard and nympho (especially stupid) first when I’m just stating a fact about Tina’s Billboard history.

by Anonymousreply 146May 27, 2023 6:08 PM

^^Fuck off

by Anonymousreply 147May 27, 2023 6:10 PM

R147 how original. Love it when the twats on here get butt hurt when called out on their bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 148May 27, 2023 6:15 PM

[quote] I hear you [R141]. I didn’t just pull that out of my ass. It’s on her wiki. It could have been just a rumor.

On her wiki? Gurl, did you put it there? Tina may have already been reincarnated.

by Anonymousreply 149May 27, 2023 7:41 PM

R144 needs to work on her reading comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 150May 27, 2023 7:45 PM

I might have been a queen

by Anonymousreply 151May 27, 2023 8:22 PM

[quote] So tragic that a woman who people LOVED so ardently could feel so unloved.

I do remember her saying that her mother never loved her. That must be hard to overcome. My mom and I had a difficult relationship, but I do think she cared about me.

When I meet people who are difficult, who are unreasonable and never seem happy, I think they probably had parents issues.

Anyway, from the outside, at least, it seems like she found a handsome, rich, younger guy and got whisked away to a huge estate in Switzerland.

I do give her credit for learning German.

by Anonymousreply 152May 27, 2023 8:23 PM

Tina is extraordinary, a legend. However, pop music (the '80s Madonna, Whitney, Janet, Cher were huge) is likely always to surpass rock 'n rollers like Tina Turner. In interviews, I always felt that Tina was resentful that she wasn't as popular as Madonna. Tina is more respected than Madonna, but Madonna, Whitney, etc., style of pop simply appeals more to the masses. It has nothing to do with not liking Tina more or less; it simply is because pop is more popular than the often aggressive rock sung by Tina. And Tina has said many times that she is unabashedly rock. But dam she was talented.

Tina could fill a stadium at the drop of a hat, so concerts were no problem for her. But up until 1984, her hits were not huge other than Proud Mary. And up until 1984, her repertoire was often covers of others' hits.

Artists like Cher endured, again because she is primarily pop and her music was original coming from Cher--not covers of other artists.

by Anonymousreply 153May 27, 2023 9:12 PM

R106. Celine's cover of Tina's 'The Best" is goddamn fabulous. Celine didn't make it her own--she paid tribute to Tina right down to her legs as she strutted into the concert hall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154May 27, 2023 9:16 PM

Tina, Elton John, & Cher sing "Proud Mary."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 27, 2023 9:17 PM

R129 Amen, but stans these days take Billboard chart positions as gospel and the only possible valid measurement of anyone's art.

The Billboard Hot 100 and 200 charts these days are an absolute mess and as open to payola and manipulation as they've ever been.

by Anonymousreply 156May 27, 2023 9:23 PM

R154 you posted that in another thread bitch

by Anonymousreply 157May 27, 2023 9:33 PM

People thought Tina didn't like the black audience because so much of her music was rock or pop for the white audience, but she and Ike did have a whole string of R&B hits in the early 1960s. This is from 1963 and I would rather listen to this than (just to give a random example) Tina, Cher and Elton John singing Proud Mary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158May 27, 2023 9:33 PM

Celine is a shrieking, talentless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 159May 27, 2023 9:34 PM

I remember the video Typical Male by Tina did something in for me my little gayling parts. Maybe it's the big foot, spats, pent up business type that I was even into then as a little boy.

The thing I notice about it now as an adult is how much Tina absolutely gives in the video. She has great comedic timing. Too bad she didn't do more acting or a great comedy even. She works that spat on that shoe and has a cheeky, yet intelligent sense of humor about the video. She is in on the joke but she delivers. I don't know if there are any other actors out there, but just watch her performance in this one particular video. She is funny, charming, engaging.

God we just took talent for granted then, like it was nothing. Now that you see it, it makes you thirsty for much more out of the people who entertain us now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160May 27, 2023 9:52 PM

Notice not a single person did backflip in the video. There weren't seizure inducing jump cuts or extreme choreography to hold our attention. All it was was just Tina being herself, dancing about, and she absolutely holds your attention.

by Anonymousreply 161May 27, 2023 9:59 PM

R160, I just watched that video and I'm not seeing what you're seeing. That just seemed like a somewhat typical '80s video.

by Anonymousreply 162May 27, 2023 10:02 PM

It's her face R162 and how she plays with the camera. Her movements. There is a playful comedic timing.

by Anonymousreply 163May 27, 2023 10:14 PM

After the huge success of the "Private Dancer" album, there was a lot of anticipation for "Break Every Rule." I always thought "Typical Male," although a perfectly fine song that did well on the charts, was a bit of a letdown as a lead single (compared to the singles from "Private Dancer" and the "Mad Max" soundtrack). And I thought the video was lame compared to other videos of that era -- Tina dancing around a giant shoe.

by Anonymousreply 164May 27, 2023 10:14 PM

Because she could.

by Anonymousreply 165May 27, 2023 10:31 PM

Lick on my asshole haters

by Anonymousreply 166May 27, 2023 10:51 PM

[quote]Why did Tina Turner live in Switzerland?

Better satellite reception and unpasteurized cheese.

by Anonymousreply 167May 27, 2023 10:57 PM

I listened to many Tina albums today and my favorite is Barcelona Live 1990. The entire concert is a wonderful performance and there are some truly stellar songs.

by Anonymousreply 168May 28, 2023 12:49 AM

I think that perhaps Europeans appreciated Tina more is because they're not so hung up on age. Back in the states where the record companies are headquartered, the corporate structure primarily caters to a younger demographic. Particularly in the '80s when Tina made her return to the stage, she was competing against Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Whitney, Janet, Cher and the big heavy metal bands, etc. The record executives and record companies are going to aim their marketing dollars at the younger artists and newer "hipper" acts. And although Cher wasn't as young as the others, she really had never left the music scene since the 1960s, and in the '80s Cher was a big movie star.

Tina could fill concert halls. It's getting radio stations at the time to play your records when you're mid-40s rocker and not really a pop star.

by Anonymousreply 169May 28, 2023 1:59 AM

She was a greedy bitch who didn’t want to pay taxes.

by Anonymousreply 170May 28, 2023 2:05 AM

[quote] Lick on my asshole haters

The EPA won't let anyone near it, toots.

by Anonymousreply 171May 28, 2023 2:17 AM

Typical Male was a fun song, but it was one of the worst videos ever made.

by Anonymousreply 172May 28, 2023 2:18 AM

^^ Tina said she did pay taxes in America while living in Europe...probably until she became a Swiss citizen in 2013, and even then, she probably still had income from America which was taxed.

by Anonymousreply 173May 28, 2023 2:18 AM

[quote]Typical Male was a fun song, but it was one of the worst videos ever made.

Ha! very true. I just like her in it. It's stupid and funny and she knows it.

When of my greatest Tina memories was her tour for What's Love Got to do With it. I was a high schooler in Cincinnati at the time and she was coming through. I scraped together money for tickets to go see her at some pavilion there. When I arrived there was already someone sitting in my seat - the venue had double printed tickets by mistake. So they moved me down the very front row. She was amazing and of course I swear we made eye contact on a handful of occasions. But seeing her do Proud Mary in person so close was definitely a bucket list moment - if such a thing had existed then.

by Anonymousreply 174May 28, 2023 8:27 AM

Why did a woman who grew up in miserable poverty and as a teen and adult dealt with pervasive violence and then later a terrible American healthcare system in the face of declining health want to move to one of the safest, most prosperous, stable places on the planet? I too am baffled, OP.

by Anonymousreply 175May 28, 2023 9:07 AM

If you are a usa citizen, your income is taxed, doesn't matter where you live.

by Anonymousreply 176May 28, 2023 9:10 AM

R176, she forfeited her citizenship, which means she was no longer a US citizen.

by Anonymousreply 177May 28, 2023 9:15 AM

Tina may have lived in Switzerland but she didn't avail herself of excellent health care and respect the doctors expertise until too late. Her poor upbringing did her a dirty, destroying her faith and respect for medicine, and that is fairly common.

by Anonymousreply 178May 28, 2023 9:23 AM

Switzerland's requirements on renunciation of other citizenships are taken fairly seriously by Switzerland.

Austria, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, and Spain prohibit dual nationality, but enforcement varies. In Spain you must sign a Spanish document that states you renounce allegiance to the U.S.; that document has no force in the U.S., however. Renouncing U.S. citizenship must be done in person at a State Department or embassy office and is an entirely separate process. The two countries do not communicate on the naturalization of someone from one citizenship to another, so unless you complete both parts of the process you are, in effect, a dual national.

The U.S. State Department explains their official disinterest in an American citizens acquiring other citizenships -- unless they wish additionally to renounce their U.S. citizernship directly with the U.S. government: ¨A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship. However, persons who acquire a foreign nationality after age 18 by applying for it may relinquish their U.S. nationality if they wish to do so.¨ [state.gov]

Renouncing U.S. citizenship includes an accounting of tax liabilities. Owning assets in the U.S. or earning income in the U.S. continues one's potential tax liability with the U.S. There may be an one time Exit Tax applied if the applicant is moving substantial assets out of the U.S. at the time of the application. If you renounce citizenship, dispose of U.S. assets, pay any Exit Tax if required, and cease having any U.S. income, you're free of U.S. taxation. Social Security benefits are paid regardless of renunciation (and they could be taxable); likewise basic Medicare benefits continue (though they are useless outside the U.S.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179May 28, 2023 9:58 AM

R150 idiot

by Anonymousreply 180May 28, 2023 12:55 PM

[quote] Austria, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, and Spain prohibit dual nationality

R179 My partner has dual citizenship w/US and one of the countries you mentioned. It isn't something they willingly offer. In his case it was permitted because he has an elderly parent and owns her property, so there was a compelling interest for him to retain his original citizenship. But he had to apply for them to approve him also having a US citizenship, which took almost a year to review.

I think the EU has also changed some things, as any EU country automatically provides anyone who had citizenship with a EU member country the right to settle and/or work in any of those countries.

by Anonymousreply 181May 28, 2023 3:28 PM

Here are short interviews with Tina's mother and sister. Yes, they're all from Nutbush, but listen to how they talk. The 3 of them speak or spoke similarly, IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182May 28, 2023 4:54 PM

R182 here. Posted that video b/c people (including me) thought that Tina's way of speaking was affected. Yes, it may have been, partially. But after listening to her mother & sister, I can see the roots of it.

by Anonymousreply 183May 28, 2023 4:56 PM

I liked Zelma. She was selfish though. I didn’t know Alline but I thought she was ugly.

by Anonymousreply 184May 28, 2023 5:24 PM

Some of y’all are downplaying Tina’s Private Dancer success here in the states in the 80s. Cultural critics always have to have something to write about and race is easy fodder in the states. And yes some blacks felt like she appealed more to white audiences but they still dug the shit out of What’s Live Got to Do and her comeback story in general. They shit was immensely popular among all races and sold like 7 million albums here in the states along. The critics tried that same shit with Queen Bey’s If I were a Boy release. Dumb cunt writers in the states make everything about race.

by Anonymousreply 185May 28, 2023 5:41 PM

R156 I think they is actually less open to payola because of streaming and digital sales. Record companies would lose money faking it. However back in the 90s it was easier because radio dominated billboard positions and the record sales of singles weren’t as high as what they are now. Unless digital sales have gone down again and everything is all streaming.

by Anonymousreply 186May 28, 2023 5:47 PM

Because she wanted to be Maria and sing through the hills

by Anonymousreply 187May 28, 2023 5:49 PM

That was Austria.

by Anonymousreply 188May 28, 2023 7:48 PM

R186 Labels are still doing payola and the streaming count has such a heavy weight on things. So does the way Billboard is now counting sales and/or airplay of older songs, especially on the Hot 200.

by Anonymousreply 189May 28, 2023 7:57 PM

R188 - I never said the bitch knew geography!

by Anonymousreply 190May 28, 2023 10:57 PM

Tina singing happy birthday to DJ Bobo. She truly became Swiss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191May 28, 2023 10:59 PM

[quote]Sometimes she was quite skinny. Did she ever drink or do drugs?

She never did drugs and she was a very light social drinker, like one glass of champagne and she was done.

by Anonymousreply 192May 29, 2023 2:02 AM

[quote] She never did drugs and she was a very light social drinker, like one glass of champagne and she was done.

Oh, please...that bitch could drink me under a table.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193May 29, 2023 2:37 AM

R192 - Wow! She should've lived longer!

by Anonymousreply 194May 29, 2023 2:38 AM

This thread is hilarious. Acting like Tina did a noble thing for leaving America for Switzerland.

I love Switzerland, but it is nothing more than a playground for the wealthy, and even Tina herself boasted about not speaking the local language. She did nothing to integrate into Swiss society other than being wealthy.

Also, I live in Europe (Germany), and the 80’s remain alive and well over here. Tina is treated like a Queen who’s still regularly played on the radio. People might’ve liked her in the US, but they wouldn’t have given her the deference Europeans do.

by Anonymousreply 195May 29, 2023 2:44 AM

Nobody really knows what / how much drugs a celebrity does. They have access to so much more than us normal people. Plus, they're insulated way more than us normals.

People were shocked to find out Prince took drugs.

Wake up.

by Anonymousreply 196May 29, 2023 2:47 AM

SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE RANGE!

by Anonymousreply 197May 29, 2023 3:57 AM

[quote] Austria, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, and Spain prohibit dual nationality, but enforcement varies.

When did the Netherlands quit allowing dual citizenship? The skater Dianne de Leeuw was born and grew up in Orange County but was able to compete for the Netherlands and granted dual citizenship because her parents were Dutch.

by Anonymousreply 198May 29, 2023 4:42 AM

Apparently some are bitter they couldn’t leave for a first world country and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 199May 29, 2023 5:09 AM

is it a myth or did she really say she wanted to be a porn star?

by Anonymousreply 200May 29, 2023 5:33 AM

MYTH!

by Anonymousreply 201May 29, 2023 6:02 AM

She loved The Exorcist movie and watched it constantly.

She got off on trying to get roles where she was a female terminator type. she played this in mad max beyond thunderdome as aunty entity.

by Anonymousreply 202May 29, 2023 10:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!