Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Uruguayans pray for rain as capital reservoir left with 10 days of water

Oh, shit. Apparently, the tap water is getting saltier by the day.

[quote]Uruguayans in the capital Montevideo are praying for rain amid a historic drought that has left the main reservoir for the city with only ten days of water left. Low rainfall and high temperatures across the southern region of South America have triggered a severe drought over the last year, affecting crops in neighboring grains producer Argentina and triggering steep farm losses. In Uruguay, the water deficit is the worst in 74 years, according to officials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2023 8:01 PM

What's new Buenos Aires?

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2023 12:02 PM

Are they having to distill their water?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2023 12:04 PM

This happened in Cape Town years ago and it eventually sorted itself. California and the Southwest were supposedly in dire straits for water just a year ago. One wet winter and everything is fine. This is the same alarmist thing.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2023 12:13 PM

Those water scarce places should probably invest in some reverse osmosis desalination plants.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2023 12:17 PM

Desalination plants are incredibly expensive, plus you can kill so much of the marine life if you just dump the brine back into the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2023 12:22 PM

Urugay. For some reason they love their LGBTQ's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2023 1:10 PM

r6 They've been the coolest -- and the richest -- country on that continent for some time now. Very little drama compared to their neighbours. Honestly, you have to go all the way up to Canada to come across another non-fucked up country like them.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2023 1:23 PM

Uruguay is incredibly boring...at least this will bring some excitement for a little while.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2023 1:40 PM

Countries that have their shit together do tend to be on the boring side, yeah.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2023 1:43 PM

[quote]One wet winter and everything is fine.

Um, no.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2023 6:48 PM

They should transport it to the Bolivian salt flats.

And it seems to be die or invest in desalination plans, so their choice.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2023 7:46 PM

This is so cool! I might not move there right now though. Wait until they get the water thing figured out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2023 7:48 PM

I could have sworn I saw Bill Gates saying that desalination is NOT that expensive.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2023 7:56 PM

In any event we need to figure out desalination and ways to trap MORE rainwater and snowmelt on land, rather than running into the sea. The oceans are about to be refreshed by a continent sized giant ice cube so the more water we remove and keep out of the ocean, the better.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2023 7:59 PM

I spent some time there last year. I would never live there. Boring and expensive. And windy! The beaches in Montevideo have muddy brown river water. Punta del Este beaches are better, but it’s just a resort town with nothing else going on.

It’s raining here in BA now, so I assume they are getting some of it too.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2023 8:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!