Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jeopardy #38

Moving on from Ben, Benedict, and Benedick...

by Anonymousreply 602July 11, 2023 5:40 PM

Yet another torturous thirty minutes with tonight’s three contestants.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2023 11:40 PM

Tonight on Jeopardy! Tournament of the Eldernerds!!!

Well, maybe it'll be good to just see a lot of fresh faces each night for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2023 11:43 PM

I thought Mayim was nobly choosing not to appear to support the WGA strike. Why is she still there?

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2023 11:44 PM

I thought the champ was good looking, so I wanted him to win. Shallow? SUE ME!

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2023 12:01 AM

I almost nodded off.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2023 12:03 AM

R3: apparently it will take a little while for her to drop out and Ken to appear again.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2023 12:04 AM

[quote]I thought Mayim was nobly choosing not to appear to support the WGA strike. Why is she still there?

R3, these episodes were most likely recorded before the strike began.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2023 12:40 AM

[quote] I thought Mayim was nobly choosing not to appear to support the WGA strike. Why is she still there?

It’s only the last week of the season, which won’t happen for a while.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2023 12:54 AM

It was as if Lee Haw and Jeopardy merged tonight. How dumb do you have to be to qualify?

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2023 1:25 AM

This had to be one of the worst episodes ever. Couldn't they have chosen three other zombies ? Unattractive and uneducated - all three of them.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2023 3:14 AM

I was just about to post that tonight's episode seemed like a competition of hillbillies - and then I see R9 essentially beat me to it.

I made the mistake of watching this after the Masters finale, which made it even more of a struggle to get through.

There's nothing like watching a champions double header and then following it the special ed version of the game.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2023 3:20 AM

I think they left clues on the board during both segments because no one could answer a damn question. The dead air during each non-answer felt like forever and ate up a lot of time. It felt as iftThe winner answered maybe five questions correctly and he's the winner?

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2023 3:58 AM

The winner appeared to be the worst contestant since Cliff Clavin.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2023 12:33 PM

i was convinced this was a 'practice run' they taped and aired by mistake. This episode was awful !

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2023 2:55 PM

R12, clues were left on the board for the second day in a row. The common factor was the idiot champion woman and her taking ten seconds to choose a fucking clue. You’re not shopping for the best deal on baked beans, bitch, pick a clue.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2023 3:02 PM

OP—in this thread we say “Jeopardy!” Not “Jeopardy.”

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2023 3:39 PM

What is oops?!

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2023 5:19 PM

Where are they finding these contestants? A bus terminal?

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2023 5:44 PM

A bus station in the Ozarks, R18.

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2023 6:21 PM

Let's put it this way ... on days where it's Champ vs. Potted Plants I know enough right answers right away that the challengers should also. If they could pass the online test, they should in theory know a lot more. Unless it's stage fright, there's really no excuse for runaways because neither challenger rang in.

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2023 8:47 PM

Why did daily Jeopardy! episodes disappear from You Tube?

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2023 8:48 PM

Ed lives with his mother and collects fridge magnets? Did I hear that correctly?

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2023 11:10 PM

I hope not, that sounds too weird.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2023 11:59 PM

Yes, you heard correctly. Unfortunately, the str8 Disney groom prevailed.

by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2023 12:11 AM

Who should have prevailed, r24? The girl was sweet but rather dim.

by Anonymousreply 25May 26, 2023 1:01 AM

And devoted to Oscar stats.

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2023 1:48 AM

Could that dim bulb of a movie lover possibly tell a duller anecdote than the one she told?

I almost nodded off listening to her.

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2023 2:29 AM

I liked Meagan. She was pretty, she spoke eloquently and she took up space.

by Anonymousreply 28May 26, 2023 2:54 AM

Her wardrobe choice of a matronly olive green cardigan with nothing under it was weird. I kept thinking, that must be itchy!

by Anonymousreply 29May 26, 2023 4:00 AM

Megan was telegenic. Groundlings was a hard Daily Double.

by Anonymousreply 30May 26, 2023 4:33 AM

Not if you have more than. a nodding acquaintance with Shakespeare. The contestants' struggling with "Bard of Avon" was pretty surprising.

by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2023 12:38 PM

Megan gave me Fleabag vibes.

by Anonymousreply 32May 26, 2023 1:53 PM

LOL, i ccancel you out , the you cancel me out and the hare wins the race.

by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2023 11:30 PM

Very stupid wagering! I knew final immediately. They didn't get the Oglethorpe connection to Georgia, lives of Quiet Desperation, nor that GA = gallium?

by Anonymousreply 34May 27, 2023 12:00 AM

That was a really up and down game. Good wagering by the new champ. I couldn't remember Neuralink either...

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2023 4:15 AM

Because I was busy watching the Masters Tournament, I once again didn't get around to watching this week's syndicated shows until the weekend.

Last weekend, I binged all five episodes in one session. That was a major mistake! All the shows started blurring together, and lost whatever was fun and special about them by watching five in one sitting.

This weekend, I made a point of watching the five episodes individually with at least 5-6 hours between episodes. That a much more pleasant way to watch the show. It keeps some element of fun and specialness to watch them one at a time, even though I ended up watching five episodes in the space of about 36 hours.

That said, what an awful week of games! This was one of the most boring weeks ever! With some of the dullest contestants I've ever seen on the show! Bland does not even begin to describe this week's contestants!!

The Wednesday show had to be the worst episode of Jeopardy! I've ever watched. I was so bored and so uninterested in these contestants, I thought time was moving in slow motion. Those 18 minutes of game felt like several hours.

Maybe I got spoiled watching the pros play in Masters, but my tolerance was especially low this week. But at least we got rid of Ben "Hi, Mom" Chan.

Here's hoping next week will have more exciting contestants and more thrilling games.

by Anonymousreply 36May 28, 2023 3:29 AM

I like the episode this week where Mayim had to use her best high school Spanish to pronounce the clues.

by Anonymousreply 37May 28, 2023 1:38 PM

What a string of lucky moron champs lately. Terrible performances once again.

by Anonymousreply 38May 29, 2023 9:49 PM

Luckiest bitch alive. Dead former champs are rolling and I do mean rolling in their graves.

by Anonymousreply 39May 29, 2023 11:30 PM

Insanely easy FJ. Travis was cute.

by Anonymousreply 40May 29, 2023 11:58 PM

Jeez. Yes, Travis was cute, but that was an extremely easy FJ that he missed. He would’ve been the champ. Of course he shouldn’t have missed Quaker either.

by Anonymousreply 41May 30, 2023 12:04 AM

I blame Daddy Travis who should have known better. Rockefeller from WV was a bit obscure, but Steinbeck, Red Guard and Pensacola that they missed were all obvious to me.

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2023 12:09 AM

Yeah, easy FJ.

Liked all three contestants.

by Anonymousreply 43May 30, 2023 12:27 AM

A FJ so easy a third grader could get it right and Travis stared at that board like it was written in Polish.

And he was hoping to end his family history of losing Jeopardy! players?

by Anonymousreply 44May 30, 2023 2:44 AM

He did worse than both of them, R44! They were both runners-up and Travis came in third place.

by Anonymousreply 45May 30, 2023 3:58 AM

Travis - another cute guy who's ultimately a dim bulb.

There's something irritating about the champ's voice.

And Mayim's blouse - did she wear that on a dare?

I kept trying to remember if that was the same top worn by the kid in the Visconti movie Death in Venice.

by Anonymousreply 46May 30, 2023 4:58 PM

Travis was cute but not the brightest bulb.

Such an easy Final and he missed it. And John Steinbeck too.

Why are we having such a sting of dull and dim contestants?

by Anonymousreply 47May 30, 2023 6:03 PM

In my area the show was pre-empted last night for a holiday concert.

by Anonymousreply 48May 30, 2023 8:48 PM

You didn’t miss much, R48.

by Anonymousreply 49May 30, 2023 8:51 PM

I like the new champ though her FJ response was insane. As was the former champ's.

I guessed the Bloomsbury Group which was a little less insane. I was trying to come up with the Pre-Raphaelites but couldn't remember the term, wrong as it was.

by Anonymousreply 50May 30, 2023 11:38 PM

I got FJ!

by Anonymousreply 51May 30, 2023 11:58 PM

I can't believe I missed "Lake Poets".

New champ's going to be around for a while.

by Anonymousreply 52May 31, 2023 2:29 AM

Not with that FJ answer. Algonquin Group?

by Anonymousreply 53May 31, 2023 2:55 AM

R53 Hmmmm. Well, you know, lake adjacent.

by Anonymousreply 54May 31, 2023 2:59 AM

I said Lake District Poets, which Mayim probably would have nixed. I went to Lake Windemere once in July: if I were a poet the natural beauty would have inspired me to write too.

by Anonymousreply 55May 31, 2023 4:20 AM

Finally! An exciting game after a long streak of dull ones.

I liked both challengers. Glad we have someone who seems to be intelligent in the champion spot.

I had no idea on Final but did know the Eagles!

by Anonymousreply 56May 31, 2023 7:24 AM

I guessed final correctly. Lord, that new champ seems cold, hard, etc. Maybe it's cultural? I do like that she beat the old one.

by Anonymousreply 57May 31, 2023 11:53 AM

Kyle clearly responded “Internet”, not “Intranet”.

by Anonymousreply 58May 31, 2023 9:08 PM

The new champ is a dyke - mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 59May 31, 2023 9:12 PM

First commercial break with two in the red and the winner blowing the DJ back to zero. I do believe we're in for another long episode.

by Anonymousreply 60May 31, 2023 11:07 PM

Kyle is a library branch manager and didn't know FJ?

by Anonymousreply 61May 31, 2023 11:39 PM

[quote]Kyle is a library branch manager and didn't know FJ?

FWIW, he also didn’t know “Cats”. He needs to turn in his library AND gay cards.

by Anonymousreply 62June 1, 2023 12:01 AM

I didn't know Final either. I did know many they blew, including that Greece is not in the Pyranees.

More good luck for Ilhana with dim opponents. She'd get eaten alive in a T o C.

by Anonymousreply 63June 1, 2023 12:02 AM

She'll never get to that point.

by Anonymousreply 64June 1, 2023 12:47 AM

Is there another way to watch Jeopardy episodes? Youtube doesn't seem to show them any more.

by Anonymousreply 65June 1, 2023 1:04 AM

R65, Sure they do, each weekday as early as 1:00 PM Eastern Time.

by Anonymousreply 66June 1, 2023 1:47 AM

R65, I’ve had some luck googling “today’s Jeopardy episode” along with the full day and date. Often the episode — on YouTube — will come up in the Google search even if I can’t get it appear in YouTube directly. It works many times, but definitely isn’t consistent.

by Anonymousreply 67June 1, 2023 2:05 AM

FJ was super easy. It even had the added hint about the Geena Davis Institute (Geena is a former Olympian in archery).

by Anonymousreply 68June 1, 2023 2:26 AM

For some reason I thought Geena was a fencer, and I couldn't think of a fencing movie, so I ran out of time and guessed ... surfing. They all seemed very nice, but Lisa's upspeak would drive me bats if she were my English teacher.

by Anonymousreply 69June 1, 2023 4:27 AM

Once again, three knuckleheads. It looked like they were going to make it a game in double jeopardy, but the incorrect answers and no responses at all sunk that feeling. Together, they reached $10,401 dollars. $18,000 is available on the single jeopardy board alone. The two losers won $401 between them, yet they earned $3000 for the effort. Doesn’t seem right.

by Anonymousreply 70June 1, 2023 4:58 AM

Tonight’s two time winner reminds me of Fraulein Schweiger in the Sound of Music when she keeps bowing her head after a win.

by Anonymousreply 71June 1, 2023 5:09 AM

Lisa got "Cats" before Kyle could buzz in. The ALW clues were all gimmes, and he snuck in one about "Bad Cinderella" even though he promised that the clues would be about his "previous successes on Broadway."

by Anonymousreply 72June 1, 2023 5:33 AM

R72, Well, it’s about to enter the previous column.

““Bad Cinderella,” a revisionist riff on the classic fairy tale, will close on June 4, bringing to an end, at least for the time being, composer Andrew Lloyd Webber's 43-year-long streak of shows on Broadway.”

by Anonymousreply 73June 1, 2023 5:51 AM

R72, At least Kyle got “Norma Desmond”.

by Anonymousreply 74June 1, 2023 5:53 AM

Poor Kyle - another doomed gay contestant.

R71 - Ilhana reminds me of the VEEP character Marjorie, the severe-looking girlfriend of Selina Meyer's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 75June 1, 2023 12:02 PM

I thought Ilhana kind of sparked to life yesterday during her interview portion. Then she returned to that “way” she has during the rest of the game.

I liked Kyle and was rooting for him. He was sweet. You can just tell that he is an aggressive power bottom.

by Anonymousreply 76June 1, 2023 12:21 PM

Ilhana is a Bosnian Muslim name. I wonder when she came to the US.

by Anonymousreply 77June 1, 2023 1:02 PM

Kyle was as dumb as a bag of rocks. He should've done better with the ALW questions - should've been first on the buzzer !

I guessed 'boxing' for FJ - wasn't thinking 'Archery' or 'Hunger Games' at all. I was thinking the Hillary Swank movie where she was a boxer.

by Anonymousreply 78June 1, 2023 2:51 PM

Whoops ! Mayim is getting blowback on her 'inconsistent' rules !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 1, 2023 3:08 PM

I wasn't an anti-Bialik fan during the extended audition period. But in the recent shows she is getting more and more "morose" to me: her "no" when someone gets a question wrong.... she pauses a beat, and says "no" with such passive aggressive disapproval, it makes me think she is sending contestants back to their therapists...

by Anonymousreply 80June 1, 2023 3:18 PM

Is it really her call (or KJ's call) to ask the contestant to 'be more specific' with their answer ? I would think it's the producers who are talking into her earpiece or on her monitor in front of her - I doubt the host has that much 'decision making power' .

And Kyle did say 'internet' not 'intranet' on one of his answers, and she ruled correctly (and then corrected him).

By the way, can someone buy Kyle some shoulders or shoulder pads ? His head was about three feet away from his droopy shoulders. Too bad for such a cute guy.

by Anonymousreply 81June 1, 2023 3:22 PM

[QUOTE] I was thinking the Hillary Swank movie where she was a boxer.

Did you really think Million Dollar Baby came out in 2012?

by Anonymousreply 82June 1, 2023 3:41 PM

I thought he said “intranet.” “Internet” would be a remarkably dumb response.

by Anonymousreply 83June 1, 2023 3:57 PM

I was one who could have also sworn Kyle said "internet," but when I played that part back with the closed captioning, it had "intranet."

by Anonymousreply 84June 1, 2023 4:05 PM

R82 I didn't give it much thought at all. I don't really follow what years movies have come out - especially in the era of 'Superhero Movies' of the past 20 years. I just remembered Swank starred - and won an Oscar - playing a boxer. Didn't give much thought past that.

by Anonymousreply 85June 1, 2023 5:02 PM

After an exciting game on Tuesday, we revert back to dull ones on Wednesday. Such uninteresting contestants. Why are we getting this glut of bad contestants?

I had no idea on Final, but did know Andorra was in the Pyrenees.

by Anonymousreply 86June 1, 2023 5:18 PM

[quote] It even had the added hint about the Geena Davis Institute (Geena is a former Olympian in archery).

I seriously doubt that anyone except the most hard-core Geena Davis fans would remember that. It seems obscure. Yes, she’s been somewhat steadily working for the past four decades, but most of her big box office films were ages ago in the 1980s and 1990s.

I think that the inclusion of Geena’s name in the clue threw off the contestants towards A League of Their Own. The two challengers went there with baseball and softball, even though the 2012 date in the clue was 20 years after the film.

by Anonymousreply 87June 1, 2023 6:18 PM

R84, You actually trust the closed captioner’s judgment?

I played it back several times and Kyle absolutely responded “Internet”.

by Anonymousreply 88June 1, 2023 7:19 PM

Certainly sounded like internet to me. I also rewound it and listened to it multiple times.

I thought of League of Their Own for Geena Davis too, as r87 said. But I knew that was an early 90s movie. I had no idea what 2012 film dealt with females and sports, so was stumped by clue.

Never saw Hunger Games and never wanted to see it.

by Anonymousreply 89June 1, 2023 8:10 PM

Instead of archery, I answered ‘Bow & Arrow’. Would they have taken that answer?

by Anonymousreply 90June 1, 2023 11:11 PM

This dude who abused the DJ privilege with his vast lack of knowledge looks like Woody Harrelson if Harrelson were on Prednisone.

by Anonymousreply 91June 1, 2023 11:27 PM

Idiots Delight continues to be the theme of winners on this show. The dumbest of them all are now rising to the top.

by Anonymousreply 92June 1, 2023 11:28 PM

He couldn't get Minuteman with the easy phrasing of that clue??

by Anonymousreply 93June 1, 2023 11:50 PM

Elmer Fudd lives!

by Anonymousreply 94June 1, 2023 11:56 PM

Jared did not deserve that win.

by Anonymousreply 95June 1, 2023 11:58 PM

Along with Minuteman, the verb shanghai is a synonym of kidnap. I feel "macaroon" and "macaron" are not the same thing - two very different cookies!

My first thought was Islamabad, but inferred they were looking for more than "Islamic Republic of ..." as part a country name. I would've put Pakistan, however, to fill the space.

I preferred the new champ over the other challenger, but would've been okay with her defeating the sea dog.

by Anonymousreply 96June 2, 2023 12:05 AM

Eva told the dullest story about where she lives.

by Anonymousreply 97June 2, 2023 12:48 AM

Now we all know why Mayim left two weeks earlier than she was contracted for. She blamed 'the writers strike' but we all know she couldn't take these idiot contestants any longer. She wasted her perfect high school French and Latin for the past few weeks on these morons.

by Anonymousreply 98June 2, 2023 1:07 AM

Lord they were stupid tonight and the stupidest of the three somehow pulled it off.

by Anonymousreply 99June 2, 2023 1:15 AM

I agree that accepting “macaroons’ for “macarons” was disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 100June 2, 2023 1:21 AM

Also why did the previous days keep like ducking and darting around as if she was reading or trying to see the answer somewhere? I almost kind of liked her but her affectations were just too odd.

by Anonymousreply 101June 2, 2023 1:38 AM

Macron is tastier than both.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 2, 2023 4:15 AM

I’m taking a break from the game. I get too frustrated by the lack of knowledge and strategy from many recent contestants.

Today they were selecting $200 and $400 clues when a daily double has yet to be found, and that $1000 clue was all by itself just sitting there. One of the women could have made a bold move and create thousands of dollars of cushion between her and the other before double jeopardy started.

Banging my head against the wall!

by Anonymousreply 103June 2, 2023 5:11 AM

R102, Macron shaves his pits.

by Anonymousreply 104June 2, 2023 9:33 AM

This guy is the oldest contestant yet. Oh wait, it's Biden and today's show is pre-empted.

by Anonymousreply 105June 2, 2023 11:10 PM

So, will this show air on Monday?

by Anonymousreply 106June 2, 2023 11:15 PM

I'm watching on NYC ABC and they started it already in progress. They were already into round two when it came on. It's still on and the "champ" lol, is in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 107June 2, 2023 11:22 PM

Is Jared in a work release program? Is he wearing a prison uniform tonight? Is he the luckiest champ ever?

FJ was so easy!

by Anonymousreply 108June 2, 2023 11:29 PM

Even he can't believe he won. Again.

by Anonymousreply 109June 2, 2023 11:30 PM

That a woman of her age could struggle to come up with A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, especially with all those clues, boggles my mind. And to only bet $1500???

by Anonymousreply 110June 2, 2023 11:45 PM

These people are idiots. Ridiculously easy FJ and two of them miss it.

And Olympus, Ohio?

by Anonymousreply 111June 2, 2023 11:58 PM

Jim Thorpe, PA, anyone? Big Ohio school = Columbus, Yes, kiddies (including the lady from Toronto), Ohio is on Lake Erie. Should've gotten all of them, along with Olympus. W-P AFB I knew, but it was much tougher. Final was easy enough.

Poor Jong, it was like he was occasionally poked with a stick or something to show signs of life. The lady looked younger than 50 to me, but too precocious. I don't share the Jared hate, he's okay with me.

by Anonymousreply 112June 3, 2023 12:16 AM

“What is a bra?”

L O L

by Anonymousreply 113June 3, 2023 12:16 AM

I got all of the "State of the Union" answers correct, including Jackie and JFK (since they were married in my home state). FJ was waaaaaaaaaaaay to easy.

Jared deserved the win today - he ran away with the game. Did they shut Jung's buzzer off ? Was he even playing the game ?

by Anonymousreply 114June 3, 2023 1:36 AM

I didn't know Rhode Island, and was torn between Nixon Resigns and President Resigns.

by Anonymousreply 115June 3, 2023 4:02 AM

Thankfully, no one had: BYE DICK

by Anonymousreply 116June 3, 2023 4:22 AM

Yes, R110. She’s behind the leader by $2,000 and she bets $1,500. She lost it right there. She didn’t deserve to win.

by Anonymousreply 117June 3, 2023 4:58 AM

Guessing a Carter Defeated headline for 1974 was also problematic.

by Anonymousreply 118June 3, 2023 4:59 AM

Carter’s election didn’t happen until 1976, and he won that one.

by Anonymousreply 119June 3, 2023 9:05 AM

What is wrong with these people?!

by Anonymousreply 120June 3, 2023 1:29 PM

Jared is a mixed bag. I want to dislike him. He gives off creepy vibes and dresses like a prison escapee. And looks like he hasn't seen a ray of sunshine in his entire life.

But at the same time, he is fairly smart. He came from behind to win on Thursday, despite tanking on two of three Double Jeopardy clues. Gotta admire that. And he did well on Friday too. So, I have to admire him.

Yes Final was incredibly easy.

by Anonymousreply 121June 3, 2023 10:43 PM

Who knew that Guam borders the Caribbean?

by Anonymousreply 122June 5, 2023 11:35 PM

I would have enjoyed spending a few more evenings with handsome Harrison. Oh, well....

by Anonymousreply 123June 5, 2023 11:37 PM

And Tokyo is in the Phillippines.

by Anonymousreply 124June 5, 2023 11:41 PM

R122: I guessed Colombia for that one.

No idea of Final, thought POTUS was a modern press acronym not specifically attributed.

It's funny R123, Jared is more my type than Harrison. It truly takes all kinds!

by Anonymousreply 125June 6, 2023 12:02 AM

I'm getting tired of them acting like Jared is anything other than lucky. The only reason that he's lasted as long as he has is because every other contestant is somehow stupider than he is. Look at how many times the other two answered in correctly before he finally chimed in with the correct answer.

by Anonymousreply 126June 6, 2023 1:00 AM

Annabelle would make the strangest faces when she gave an answer she wasn't sure of. She kind of turned her head and squeezed her eyes closed as though Mayim was going to walk over and punch her in the face.

I'm waiting for Mayim to break out into uncontrollable laughter when the contestant gives some idiotic answer again - such as 'Guam'.

by Anonymousreply 127June 6, 2023 1:33 AM

As the show wraps at the end, Mayim does seem like she's signaling: Can you all believe this idiot just won another game and will be back here tomorrow night??

by Anonymousreply 128June 6, 2023 1:36 AM

Did anyone else hear Mayim say demagogue rather than demigod? It’s not just the contestants lately that are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 129June 6, 2023 2:48 AM

The science of poetry clues were hard. Mayim looked great; a little less hairspray is her friend.

by Anonymousreply 130June 6, 2023 3:33 AM

Jared is incredibly lucky. I'm stunned he's won three games. But it's not like he has much competition either. Of course, he's not that great of a player either.

POTUS seemed incredibly easy for Final. I think I first heard the phrase when the West Wing debuted in 1999. Now I hear it everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 131June 6, 2023 5:48 PM

So POTUS wasn't used until Obama?

by Anonymousreply 132June 6, 2023 7:04 PM

R132, this article provides a helpful history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 6, 2023 7:09 PM

I want to see the out-takes from JEOPARDY.

I want to see Mayim lose it and ask the contestants, "How fuckin' stupid are you three ? You didn't know the answer to that question? Seriously ? I' m working with a bunch of dipshit morons today."

That gets tossed on the editing room floor, and we get her cheery response, "No, the answer is 'The President'. He is the one who sits in the Oval Office," instead.

by Anonymousreply 134June 6, 2023 7:23 PM

Looks like Jared's luck ran out. Seriously, I knew the final answer right after it was shown on screen.

Knew ecru and Strait of Hormuz.

by Anonymousreply 135June 7, 2023 12:02 AM

I didn’t quite understand Suresh’s interview.

He flies to places and then immediately flies home?

by Anonymousreply 136June 7, 2023 12:07 AM

Tonight was again a batch of impressively stupid contestants. How are these people passing the test and getting to where they're on the show they're terrible.

by Anonymousreply 137June 7, 2023 12:54 AM

Do you really think smarter people are applying to be contestants and the producers aren't going for them, r137?

by Anonymousreply 138June 7, 2023 1:46 AM

Exactly, r136. The idea is to rack. up miles, not see their destinations. It's an odd hobby, but a rather fitting one for a member of the walking dead.

by Anonymousreply 139June 7, 2023 2:03 AM

They're called "mileage runs," and were very popular 10-20 years ago. I used to do them, especially in December when I needed a certain amount of miles to keep or upgrade my status in frequent flyer programs. Nowadays air travel is too chaotic.

by Anonymousreply 140June 7, 2023 2:52 AM

Jared was way too erratic to last much longer. He earned enough to buy a few more guitars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141June 7, 2023 4:21 AM

When Suresh told his story, I thought, that's cute. Some people don't have enough money for food or medicine, but you do you.

by Anonymousreply 142June 7, 2023 4:44 AM

Mileage runs (and hotel status "mattress" runs) have become far less worthwhile in the past few years. There are You Tubers who make money giving trip reports that are solely flying. They often never leave any airports, or if they do it's a night at an airport hotel without seeing anything of the location.

New champ comes across as a zombie (spectrum?); a half-decent challenger could get rid of him.

by Anonymousreply 143June 7, 2023 12:36 PM

Suresh's first answer was supposed to be "Health and Human Services". I have no idea wtf he mumbled quickly, and rewound it four or five times to hear it again - still nothing. He mumbled something. Somehow, Mayim said, 'That is correct - Health and Human Services'. I knew then this was going to be a very long game.

by Anonymousreply 144June 7, 2023 12:41 PM

R144, I found several of his responses to be unintelligible.

I find the new champ a bit creepy, but I’m glad he got rid of Uncle Fester.

by Anonymousreply 145June 7, 2023 12:45 PM

Is it just me, or has the last couple of months been Bad Jeopardy. Contestants not very sharp, and with few other redeeming qualities. Moderation.... glum.

by Anonymousreply 146June 7, 2023 2:04 PM

To be fair, R144, I caught his answer HHS quickly without having to think about it.

by Anonymousreply 147June 7, 2023 2:12 PM

The only life he displayed was when he was bopping to the Jeopardy theme song. But he seemed robotic.

by Anonymousreply 148June 7, 2023 3:05 PM

New champ certainly has a strong accent. I had to listen hard to many of his answers. But I could tell he definitely said HHS for Health and Human Services.

But he did knock out Jared, which is a good thing. Was tiring of Uncle Fester as someone called him above. Abbreviations were clearly not his strong suit since he missed both POTUS and NATO.

And yes, Final seemed incredibly easy to me.

by Anonymousreply 149June 7, 2023 4:56 PM

[quote]But I could tell he definitely said HHS for Health and Human Services.

Which was incorrect - everyone was giving the full name of the department in their answers, not just the acronym. Mayim should have ruled against him.

by Anonymousreply 150June 7, 2023 5:08 PM

If she had, we might still have Jared tonight, r150.

by Anonymousreply 151June 7, 2023 5:43 PM

HHS is a perfectly acceptable abbreviation. As is HUD or the IRS. These are abbreviations automatically associated with those departments.

The other answers in that category were short -- Labor, Agriculture, Homeland Security -- and don't have abbreviations readily associated with them.

The clue said nothing about giving the full name, no abbreviations accepted.

by Anonymousreply 152June 7, 2023 5:49 PM

Again, Mayim doesn't have the authority to overrule anyone. She's a puppet of the judges.

by Anonymousreply 153June 7, 2023 6:55 PM

They accept common abbreviations and acronyms all the time.

by Anonymousreply 154June 7, 2023 8:12 PM

Tonight’s episode is beyond dreadful. The whole damn lot of them were potted plants. It’s boring when all you have is Mayim reading questions and the three contestants standing there mute. I’d be curious to know if this was the game with the highest number of unanswered clues. If not, it must have come close.

by Anonymousreply 155June 7, 2023 10:15 PM

What is swing time?

Oy.

by Anonymousreply 156June 7, 2023 11:34 PM

SAD!

Montenegro doesn't border Italy, although I wasn't sure if perhaps the answer might be Croatia? Too many they all skipped, or got wrong.

This whole episode was SAD!

by Anonymousreply 157June 8, 2023 12:00 AM

To be fair, I didn’t know a lot of the answers they missed.

by Anonymousreply 158June 8, 2023 12:33 AM

R138. Yes. After giving it some thought I do believe that. I am betting that they've gotten some feedback or no but people don't enjoy the show as much when there's one contestant dominating week after week to the point that they start becoming obnoxious so I think they refrain from anybody they think could turn into a super champ in order to keep the game competitive.

by Anonymousreply 159June 8, 2023 12:44 AM

Tonight's episode played out like a SNL satire.

by Anonymousreply 160June 8, 2023 12:51 AM

I mean my god did you watch the show tonight I'm still in the middle of double Jeopardy and it's unbearable how incredibly slow and dim every single one of these panelists is.

by Anonymousreply 161June 8, 2023 12:51 AM

My God it finally ended it was almost cruel to keep them up there while nobody even attempted to answer clue after clue. What was with that middle lady did she just show up in like her bathrobe. She look tired drunk or something.

by Anonymousreply 162June 8, 2023 12:54 AM

I'll be incredibly surprised if one of them doesn't not only bomb the final Jeopardy but gives a completely inane or stupid response.

by Anonymousreply 163June 8, 2023 12:55 AM

I hope Twitter is being mean to every single one of them right now and that they all can see it.

by Anonymousreply 164June 8, 2023 12:55 AM

No one knew who are current AG is ? No one knew Janet Yellen ? Are they kidding ?

by Anonymousreply 165June 8, 2023 12:59 AM

Did anyone actually explain all the first round categories were names of Sondheim shows or did I miss that?

by Anonymousreply 166June 8, 2023 1:00 AM

Was the hefty brat on the end flirting with mayim in the whole time because it sure seemed that way especially the kinky clue where she kind of like shook her ass or something.

by Anonymousreply 167June 8, 2023 1:01 AM

I’m thinking that since the season is coming to a close, the worst, best scoring candidates make it to she show.

So literally they scrape the bottom of the contestant barrel.

Plus since it’s summertime, the producers might think viewership is at a low point.

by Anonymousreply 168June 8, 2023 1:41 AM

r159, I tend to think just the opposite - ratings go up when there's a long-running champ. After decades of not watching Jeopardy, and I mean from the Art Fleming days, I finally tuned in again because of Amy Schneider's fame. And contestants like Mattea Roach and Cris Pannullo make me never want to miss an episode. So, I would think the producers would be very eager to bring on the smartest contestants that apply.

by Anonymousreply 169June 8, 2023 1:44 AM

They did not explain the Sondheim theme. I think few Jeopardy! watchers would fail to pick up on it.

by Anonymousreply 170June 8, 2023 1:53 AM

I was sure they would have Beanie Feldstein, Ben Platt, and/or Paul Mescal reading the "Merrily" clues.

by Anonymousreply 171June 8, 2023 2:30 AM

Was Anna Karenina answered correctly? I thought I heard Anna Karina, with Mayim saying the correct name after.

by Anonymousreply 172June 8, 2023 3:21 AM

I thought the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 173June 8, 2023 5:10 AM

I heard it And the caption had it as kar ah neen ah

by Anonymousreply 174June 8, 2023 5:14 AM

That contestant has poor diction in English.

by Anonymousreply 175June 8, 2023 11:43 AM

So glad Mayim didn't ask to see the woman's tattoo.

by Anonymousreply 176June 8, 2023 12:21 PM

It's so obvious Mayim is feigning interest in their stories, and has to force a chuckle when they try to say something witty.

by Anonymousreply 177June 8, 2023 2:15 PM

Witty? Someone said something witty?

by Anonymousreply 178June 8, 2023 3:25 PM

[quote]Tonight's episode played out like a SNL satire.

Funny you should say that because Shuresh reminds me of that nerdy Andy Kaufman character.

by Anonymousreply 179June 8, 2023 3:36 PM

I also was surprised no one said anything about all the Sondheim categories. Alex certainly would have. I suspect Ken would have. I doubt Mayim even picked up on the connection.

And yes, Mayim is certainly faking interest in the contestants' stories. That's been especially obvious in recent weeks.

I knew many of clues they missed, especially about the current cabinet. Also knew several of the others that no one attempted to guess. I'd be intrigued to know the stats of how clues they didn't even guess at and where that falls in the record book.

I knew Final was referring to the former Yugoslavia, but have never bothered to learn all the countries that were formed from Yugoslavia. So, I guessed Bosnia-Heisenberg.

by Anonymousreply 180June 8, 2023 5:10 PM

You meant Bosnia and Herzegovina

by Anonymousreply 181June 8, 2023 5:40 PM

Yes, thanks. Autocorrect at work there.

But it was wrong, so it doesn't matter in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 182June 8, 2023 5:42 PM

r169 is correct. Ratings go up when there is contestant on a big winning streak.

I remember back in 2004 hearing about this contestant who'd won something like 50 games of Jeopardy. Heard multiple people talking about. In the grocery store. At the gym. At a coffeeshop.

Curious, I had to check it out. So I tuned in to 20something more games to watch the tail end of Ken's run.

Long running contestants generate lots of press too. Its to the show's advantage to have a big winner.

by Anonymousreply 183June 8, 2023 5:47 PM

No one wants to miss the inevitable crash and burn.

by Anonymousreply 184June 8, 2023 6:02 PM

If these were trivia "experts," they wouldn't have had. to be told the categories were all Sondheim musicals.

by Anonymousreply 185June 8, 2023 6:32 PM

[quote]If these were trivia "experts," they wouldn't have had. to be told the categories were all Sondheim musicals.

Alex always mentioned the connection for the sake of the audience who might not be clued in.

Ken seems to be doing the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 186June 8, 2023 6:50 PM

My theory is that the producers prefer Ken and don’t go out of their way to help Mayim look good.

by Anonymousreply 187June 8, 2023 6:54 PM

Oh gee, Allison almost got there.....

by Anonymousreply 188June 9, 2023 12:37 AM

Ken Jennings doesn’t like the interviews segment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189June 9, 2023 12:51 AM

Geez. This guy won again??? Another come-from-behind win? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 190June 9, 2023 2:07 AM

I didn't get to watch the entire show since Trump's indictment news broke in.

by Anonymousreply 191June 9, 2023 2:21 AM

David’s constant “oohing and ahhing” was very annoying.

by Anonymousreply 192June 9, 2023 2:30 AM

You didn't miss anything, r191.

by Anonymousreply 193June 9, 2023 2:47 AM

I thought for sure the blonde had the win locked up.

by Anonymousreply 194June 9, 2023 2:51 AM

I’d be willing to bet this robotic champ has answered fewer questions correctly in three games than any contestant ever. Good gravy! What THE fuck is going on??!

by Anonymousreply 195June 9, 2023 3:22 AM

Speedy comeback for the champ after he got the last Daily Double. I knew Amsterdam from "Tulip Fever," and was pretty sure Allison would get it right...

by Anonymousreply 196June 9, 2023 4:38 AM

Allison was a really good player. It's a shame she tanked on Final. Now we have Suresh for another night.

I knew Final dealt with some Dutch company, so I figured the answer was Amsterdam.

by Anonymousreply 197June 9, 2023 7:28 AM

Isn't The Hague the capital of The Netherlands?

by Anonymousreply 198June 9, 2023 1:21 PM

Like Bolivia and South Africa, the Netherlands has more than one "capital."

by Anonymousreply 199June 9, 2023 1:42 PM

The Hague is where the government is located, but Amsterdam is officially the capital. It’s weird.

by Anonymousreply 200June 9, 2023 2:28 PM

Bunker Hill, Cuba

by Anonymousreply 201June 9, 2023 6:22 PM

The Jeopardy! producers are just punking us now. They’re just pulling people off the streets and putting them behind these lecterns.🙄

by Anonymousreply 202June 9, 2023 11:45 PM

Guessed final, and this time I took notes on what I got that they didn't:

USSR Lite Brite The Hate U Give San Juan Hill (not Bunker Hill!) Vaclav Havel Spain Taoism Siegfried

Was rooting for the old lady!

by Anonymousreply 203June 10, 2023 12:02 AM

^So was I. I’m glad she alone got FJ. She can be very proud of herself.

by Anonymousreply 204June 10, 2023 12:07 AM

I was rooting for Tim - he was a cutie. He also gave off 'big cock' vibes.

by Anonymousreply 205June 10, 2023 12:44 AM

But at the end during Final Jeopardy he was doing something with his mouth that looked like he was sucking a tiny penis.

by Anonymousreply 206June 10, 2023 1:13 AM

I was kinda/sorta rooting for Tim, but I'm especially glad the lady in the middle didn't win - if only because of the overly enthusiastic way she had of clapping.

But the reality is they all should've been ejected from the game for constantly buzzing in responses just for the sake of saying something, regardless of how idiotic it was.

As R201 said: Bunker Hill, Cuba?

I mean, what is this - the Tourette Tournament?

by Anonymousreply 207June 10, 2023 3:13 AM

Cujo???

by Anonymousreply 208June 10, 2023 4:00 AM

I’m so sick of stupid basketball.

by Anonymousreply 209June 10, 2023 5:13 AM

I blanked on the answer myself, finding Cujo a funny answer. Ken (and Alex) would've made a remark about that. Perhaps Mayim is bored with hosting already after only a few weeks?

by Anonymousreply 210June 10, 2023 11:44 AM

As inane as recent responses have been, this one remains the dumbest in the show’s history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211June 10, 2023 11:59 AM

Ken Jennings will be a guest on THE VIEW tomorrow, June 13.

by Anonymousreply 212June 12, 2023 6:14 PM

You couldn't help but feel for the cancer survivor playing tonight, but he sure was milking it.

by Anonymousreply 213June 12, 2023 11:33 PM

Didn't Marilyn know she was supposed to shut up when Mayim asked at the end "What did you answer ?" for FINAL JEOPARDY ? She had to respond, "I guessed..." when Mayin was trying to read the answer out loud and officially.

Please producers, STOP POACHING PEOPLE FROM THE BUS DEPOT and asking if they want to be a contestant on the show !

by Anonymousreply 214June 13, 2023 1:15 AM

This champ gives me Amazon customer service rep gone wrong vibes. Speak clearly.

by Anonymousreply 215June 13, 2023 1:18 AM

I knew the correct FJ but would have added a verb, perhaps "is" or "was" unlike our champ.

by Anonymousreply 216June 13, 2023 3:02 AM

Michael reminded me a little of Peter Fonda.

by Anonymousreply 217June 13, 2023 4:22 AM

R217, Deceased?

by Anonymousreply 218June 13, 2023 4:42 AM

Yes, Michael was milking the cancer survivor. But he was also a good player. That was a gutsy DD bet that really paid off for him.

Suresh has now won 5 games and has a guaranteed place in the Tournament. But Mayim didn't even mention that at the end of the game.

I guessed Antigone for Final because of the bit in the clue about being AGAINST. That caused me to think of "anti" which made Antigone pop to mind.

by Anonymousreply 219June 13, 2023 6:16 PM

What a trio of dolts. Potted plants would be insulting to philodendrons.

If you can’t find qualified contestants, just put cats behind the podiums and run laser pointers across the tops.

by Anonymousreply 220June 13, 2023 9:26 PM

Jeeeeez!

Where are they finding these losers?

by Anonymousreply 221June 13, 2023 10:18 PM

***MORON ALERT***

Umm, what is Black Beaty? No. Umm, what is Black Beauty? No. Umm...

Another stellar episode. Not.

by Anonymousreply 222June 13, 2023 11:09 PM

For a graduate student, many of Joe’s responses were stupid.

by Anonymousreply 223June 13, 2023 11:16 PM

Michael made the 6-12 game somewhat interesting, going head to head with Suresh.

by Anonymousreply 224June 13, 2023 11:41 PM

But.....Harrison Ford?? Really???

by Anonymousreply 225June 14, 2023 12:02 AM

R225, that answer made me think of Bill Murray as the lounge singer on SNL singing the Star Wars theme.

by Anonymousreply 226June 14, 2023 12:06 AM

Can Harrison Ford even hum?

by Anonymousreply 227June 14, 2023 12:55 AM

I was pulling for the middle guy he was sort of cute even though he turned out to be really stupid. There's no chance that the mongoloid on the right could have won but that means we're still stuck with this dumbass saresj another day.

by Anonymousreply 228June 14, 2023 1:01 AM

Has there ever been a 6-day champ whose total winning score was less than $100,000?

Initially I thought Michael was kind of attractive, but after a while he seemed like an airhead.

By the time he came up with the Harrison Ford response, it was obvious he was an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 229June 14, 2023 1:05 AM

The show has been virtually unwatchable for at least 2 weeks now. I hate the current champ and it’s mind blowing that he’s going to be on TOC.

I’ve seen a dozen second place finishers in the past year who are more impressive than he is.

And Mayim on top of the stupid contestants is just the icing on a sad cake that makes me wonder if Jeopardy has jumped the shark :(

by Anonymousreply 230June 14, 2023 1:27 AM

R230, I don’t understand why she hesitates even when the responses are obviously correct and validation by the judges is unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 231June 14, 2023 1:32 AM

She hesitates so much that I wonder if she’s being edited out. Like they edit out her annoying giggles and side comments.

by Anonymousreply 232June 14, 2023 1:39 AM

No one knew "hallowed"?

by Anonymousreply 233June 14, 2023 2:07 AM

It was appalling. I’m an atheist and I knew hallowed.

I keep having flashbacks to the geniuses on Jeopardy Masters and this is so sad.

by Anonymousreply 234June 14, 2023 2:29 AM

Joe was pretty cute, but otherwise that was a dismal game.

Ken's new book:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235June 14, 2023 3:40 AM

There were so many easy answers none of them even guessed at. The three of them just stood there blankly.

Joe was a cutie - I wouldn't mind seeing him for a week or two on my TV.

by Anonymousreply 236June 14, 2023 12:28 PM

Dumb idea for a book.

by Anonymousreply 237June 14, 2023 12:46 PM

Hallowed was just one of many FAIL moments. Would've had writer's cramp trying to keep track of them all.

by Anonymousreply 238June 14, 2023 1:03 PM

I just realized I called Joe Michael @ R229. (Talk about being an idiot.)

Anyway, a book like Ken's could be a fun read; I just don't know if he has the personality to pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 239June 14, 2023 1:15 PM

Maybe he had a "co-writer."

by Anonymousreply 240June 14, 2023 2:42 PM

They definitely seemed to have saved the stupid ones for Mayim. I think Ken would have a hard time containing his irritation at some of the more obvious answers that no one got right. Alex certainly did at times.

So many answers I knew that no one even buzzed in for! At least two of them figured out John Travolta for Final.

by Anonymousreply 241June 14, 2023 4:59 PM

At the time I used to think Alex was a tad obnoxious by revealing his irritation at clueless contestants. Now I totally get it.

by Anonymousreply 242June 14, 2023 5:06 PM

FINALLY!!!!!

Holly, I would have said enjoy your one day as a champ. But considering that, of late, the challengers appear to have simply wandered into the studio from places unknown, you may get a few-day run.

by Anonymousreply 243June 15, 2023 12:00 AM

The shrink was my type, but sadly obvious he wasn't up to the task. Again, several I knew that they should've gotten.

by Anonymousreply 244June 15, 2023 12:20 AM

The shrink didn’t know much beyond medicine. Can’t believe he didn’t get Don Juan. Holly was pretty unimpressive too, but she finally got rid of the awful Soresh, who managed to fail upwards for his entire run. He’s going to get slaughtered in TOC.

by Anonymousreply 245June 15, 2023 12:41 AM

Soresh grew on me. He was pretty well versed in geography and when I was able to discern what he was saying during the chat segments, he appeared to have a good sense of humor and didn't take himself too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 246June 15, 2023 12:49 AM

I don't like Holly at all but she did be serious so that's good. I also enjoy it when I am couldn't be bothered to read suresh's messages. It felt like such a good move on her part and I applaud it.

by Anonymousreply 247June 15, 2023 1:00 AM

That was supposed to say but she did beat Suresh. And I'm sure she'll be gone tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 248June 15, 2023 1:01 AM

I didn't think Holly was so bad and I enjoyed her toothy grin!

by Anonymousreply 249June 15, 2023 1:21 AM

They didn't know Jarlsberg?!?!

by Anonymousreply 250June 15, 2023 2:52 AM

Good FJ, but I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 251June 15, 2023 4:03 AM

I grew to like Suresh, but am also glad to see him gone. I'm lukewarm to Holly. Maybe she'll grow on me tomorrow.

As a Star Trek fan, I figured out Final. It took me a few seconds, but I finally got to Lt. Chekov

by Anonymousreply 252June 15, 2023 6:49 AM

R233 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253June 15, 2023 7:10 AM

I could swear Holly - oh, those gums! - answered Leguizama instead of Leguizamo for one of the answers.

Re R253 - initially I was surprised no one knew hallowed, but then I just presumed none of them were Christian.

I'm not clicking the Post link, but did they really call them heathens?

by Anonymousreply 254June 15, 2023 10:29 AM

R254, I remember when the “Our Father” was said aloud each morning in public schools.

by Anonymousreply 255June 15, 2023 11:47 AM

I'm hopeless with Star Trek clues. All I could come up with was Ilya Kuryakin from Man from UNCLE. Not the right year, though.

by Anonymousreply 256June 15, 2023 12:23 PM

I believe cute contestant Joe Seibert is Jewish. Seibert is usually a Jewish surname.

by Anonymousreply 257June 15, 2023 5:01 PM

[quote]All I could come up with was Ilya Kuryakin from Man from UNCLE. Not the right year, though.

That was the only other answer I could come up with but I knew it was the wrong year, like you did. Man from UNCLE debuted in 1964.

But once I eliminated that, the only other thing I could think of was Lt. Chekov on Star Trek. And I knew he debuted in the second season, so that fit the 1967 part the clue.

by Anonymousreply 258June 15, 2023 5:54 PM

Oh, NOW the crossword puzzle aficionado waltzes in. We could have used her a few days ago.

by Anonymousreply 259June 15, 2023 11:21 PM

She was a very steady player. I'll bet she'll be around for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 260June 15, 2023 11:28 PM

I liked her, though I was rooting for Urkel in the beginning - he was spitting out answers left and right. Very smart guy.

by Anonymousreply 261June 16, 2023 1:30 AM

Boasting about your NYT crossword streak is like boasting about the number of W&Ws you’ve got. Pretty meager accomplishment.

by Anonymousreply 262June 16, 2023 2:23 AM

Suzanne was solid. Holly is very Frances McDormand. I made the same mistake as Kiran with HUAC.

by Anonymousreply 263June 16, 2023 3:43 AM

Is there something in Mayim’s contract that requires her to be provided with a blazer from Kohl’s every day?

by Anonymousreply 264June 16, 2023 3:53 AM

I like Suzanne. I think she'll be around for a while.

She at least made the game interesting tonight, something that hasn't happened a lot recently.

by Anonymousreply 265June 16, 2023 4:30 AM

Suzanne's neon green Q-bert blazer stole the show. I knew several of the Rolling Stones songs that nobody got.

by Anonymousreply 266June 16, 2023 4:37 AM

Okay, how many of you chuckled when Mayim had to say “Cock of the walk”?

by Anonymousreply 267June 16, 2023 11:23 AM

What is a globular cluster? I swore the answer was gonna be what is a cluster fuck?

by Anonymousreply 268June 16, 2023 11:10 PM

Loving Ben! Hope he stays strong through the end.

by Anonymousreply 269June 16, 2023 11:11 PM

I knew all the birthstones including Bloodstone for March because I'm a March baby.

by Anonymousreply 270June 16, 2023 11:13 PM

Still, no one did themselves proud.

by Anonymousreply 271June 17, 2023 12:20 AM

And MB mispronounced IKEA!

by Anonymousreply 272June 17, 2023 12:38 AM

How does one mispronounce IKEA?

by Anonymousreply 273June 17, 2023 1:04 AM

Really like Ben and glad he won. Great spirit. He strikes me as smart enough to realize what some of his mistakes were and will respond and bid more carefully next time.

by Anonymousreply 274June 17, 2023 1:05 AM

The NYT crossword puzzle wizard really flamed out.

by Anonymousreply 275June 17, 2023 1:11 AM

Yeah, she never really got going tonight after such a promising showing yesterday. At least we got a good game tonight.

by Anonymousreply 276June 17, 2023 1:22 AM

Guessed Lake Champlain too. I guess it's not that wide.

by Anonymousreply 277June 17, 2023 5:08 AM

I bet that’s how IKEA is pronounced in Swedish.

by Anonymousreply 278June 17, 2023 6:34 AM

So she used her best high school Swedish for the answer?

by Anonymousreply 279June 17, 2023 12:31 PM

It was one of the better games in the past few weeks. I'm glad hunky Ben won. He was confident, but not over-bearing. I hope he goes far.

by Anonymousreply 280June 17, 2023 1:23 PM

Wow! Just wow. Yes, terrible contestants. But the questions were unfairly difficult. It felt like these were leftovers that didn’t make it on the Masters Tournament. Consistently inconsistent, Jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 281June 19, 2023 9:33 PM

The most uttered word by Mayim in tonight's episode. What is NO?

by Anonymousreply 282June 19, 2023 11:20 PM

Why did that idiot Jonathan Belford tug at his ear when they introduced him in the beginning ? Was he signaling to Carol Burnett ?

by Anonymousreply 283June 19, 2023 11:31 PM

Fagatoga!

by Anonymousreply 284June 19, 2023 11:40 PM

Who doesn’t know that Montana borders North Dakota to the west?

by Anonymousreply 285June 19, 2023 11:42 PM

What an embarrassment for all concerned. And the questions were indeed difficult. Those crossover pairings were hard to conjure given only a few seconds. Poor Jonathan seemed like he was being punched in the stomach every time he got an answer wrong.

by Anonymousreply 286June 19, 2023 11:58 PM

Yet FJ was extremely easy.

by Anonymousreply 287June 20, 2023 12:03 AM

Tonight’s game was an insult to Jeopardy! viewers.

by Anonymousreply 288June 20, 2023 12:05 AM

Absolutely appalling show. And it’s been shockingly bad for most of the past few weeks.

When you are on there, why are you guessing when you have a few hundred dollars before you hit 0 in double Jeopardy?

by Anonymousreply 289June 20, 2023 12:30 AM

This champ should be embarrassed for his win, not doing the victory clasp.

I don't think I'm projecting when I say Mayim has been looking at the past few weeks of contestants with the "I can't believe you dumb motherfucers made it on the show" look.

by Anonymousreply 290June 20, 2023 1:36 AM

Now we know why Mayin left two weeks before she was supposed to leave. She couldn't take it any more.

by Anonymousreply 291June 20, 2023 1:45 AM

I forgot that Dolly got those millions, and guessed Celine Dion because "heart" was somewhere in the clue. Mary Kate could be Mattea's older, dimmer sister.

by Anonymousreply 292June 20, 2023 4:29 AM

I pulled Dolly out of my ass.

by Anonymousreply 293June 20, 2023 4:52 AM

I’m sure Dolly is happy to be free, r293.

by Anonymousreply 294June 20, 2023 5:00 AM

A two day champion with a combined $15,000. I’ve seen last place finishers earn the same amount in one “single Jeopardy”round.

There’s $54,000 available on each episode before final Jeopardy.

We really are scraping the barrel.

by Anonymousreply 295June 20, 2023 5:05 AM

I guessed Oprah for final. None of the three of us watching had more than a general knowledge of Shakespeare, totally blanking on that category.

Groaned when the combination (crossover) category appeared.

by Anonymousreply 296June 20, 2023 11:37 AM

I actually fell asleep during this show just when DJ round started. What a boring show this was. Who ended up winning ?

by Anonymousreply 297June 20, 2023 1:15 PM

The movie crossover category was horrendous. I actually wonder if this was a middle finger by soon to be striking writers. Usually those kinds of categories are fun and make sense but, with the exception of one or two, it flopped.

by Anonymousreply 298June 20, 2023 1:41 PM

Last week I mocked a champ who won six games yet couldn't crack $100K in total winnings.

This week if the champ wins six games, he'll be lucky if his total winnings comes to $50K.

by Anonymousreply 299June 20, 2023 2:44 PM

I can't tolerate listening to Bialy. She is condescending. She should be let go.

by Anonymousreply 300June 20, 2023 3:35 PM

I knew the Dolly answer right away.

That cow Oprah wouldn’t give so much money away.

by Anonymousreply 301June 20, 2023 5:59 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302June 20, 2023 7:17 PM

Today we officially meet the WORST contestant ever. What THE ever living’ fuck is going on???

by Anonymousreply 303June 20, 2023 9:47 PM

I said it before—How do you think I feel having been passed over for these morons?

by Anonymousreply 304June 20, 2023 9:57 PM

Dumb fucker didn’t even know how to spell his name.

by Anonymousreply 305June 20, 2023 10:16 PM

Or how to wait for Mayim to call his name before giving the answer.

by Anonymousreply 306June 20, 2023 10:17 PM

Congratulations to “Tym” for making a story about unexpectedly losing supplemental oxygen in the death zone on Mt. Everest sound fey.

by Anonymousreply 307June 20, 2023 11:21 PM

Mayim amost jumped out of her blazer with delight when one of the bed posts finally got one right.

R300, je suis Mayim.

Three day champion who finally reached some level of self-awareness. Yes, you should be embarrassed.

by Anonymousreply 308June 20, 2023 11:32 PM

Tym’s performance tonight has to be one of the worst in the history of Jeopardy!.

by Anonymousreply 309June 20, 2023 11:42 PM

I was embarrassed for Tym. That was a beyond dreadful performance. I’m sure that they stopped the show to tell him to wait until Mayim acknowledged him before he blurted out the answer.

by Anonymousreply 310June 21, 2023 12:22 AM

It wasn't just that Tym was a dreadful player; his personality was so catatonic whenever he responded, you'd think he was an android.

Oh, and that woman - no, I'm not gonna look up her name - should be ashamed of her own stupidity for answering Australia for south Atlantic island.

by Anonymousreply 311June 21, 2023 12:23 AM

Not only did Tyne get like 2 questions right (I think only one in the first round) but the blurting of answers was nuts. I assume these people have seen the show hundreds of times. They def slapped him on the wrist during the break.

by Anonymousreply 312June 21, 2023 12:33 AM

Tym not Tyne. Even autocorrect doesn’t get him.

by Anonymousreply 313June 21, 2023 12:34 AM

Why did he keep selecting from the Math category when he knew almost nothing?

I kept thinking he was frozen with terror once the cameras started rolling.

by Anonymousreply 314June 21, 2023 12:39 AM

Was that Jeopardy or an SNL sketch? Poor Tym. Whoever is in charge of selecting contestants really needs to be replaced.

by Anonymousreply 315June 21, 2023 1:54 AM

I just saw that Jeopardy posted on IG looking for contestants. I feel encouraged/discouraged after the past month.

by Anonymousreply 316June 21, 2023 2:15 AM

If I wasn’t good enough then, I refuse to be good enough now.

by Anonymousreply 317June 21, 2023 2:18 AM

Ah, sad. I bet Tym is home in his bedroom writhing around on his bed, gripping his heels in fetal position, cringing in shame. Truly, I feel sorry for the kook.

by Anonymousreply 318June 21, 2023 2:19 AM

Mayim, what is self-defeating hubris?

R317

by Anonymousreply 319June 21, 2023 2:23 AM

WTF did I just watch ?

Did Tym understand that the goal is to get the most correct answers, not the most incorrect ?

Janie thought that Australia was in the Atlantic ?

I'm 100% convinced the producers are now choosing these contestants at the local Applebee's. "Hey - nerdy, gawky guy ... wanna be on 'Jeopardy' tonight ?"

by Anonymousreply 320June 21, 2023 2:38 AM

[quote]Why did he keep selecting from the Math category when he knew almost nothing?

He would've gotten the same result from any other category.

by Anonymousreply 321June 21, 2023 2:40 AM

Yes, but math requires a very specific set of skills. No way to easily guess at the answers.

by Anonymousreply 322June 21, 2023 2:53 AM

TBH I'd eat Tym's ass.

I'm surprised ping pong didn't become an Olympic sport until 1988. I really had no idea what to guess...

by Anonymousreply 323June 21, 2023 4:30 AM

I guessed ping pong for Final because that was the only thing I could think of that was small enough. But I also thought ping pong was added to the Olympics long before 1988.

Poor Tym. He got some of the lower dollar amount clues but kept missing the big bucks ones.

by Anonymousreply 324June 21, 2023 7:01 AM

Did they say his profession had something to do with crypto currency?

by Anonymousreply 325June 21, 2023 12:05 PM

I guessed curling, though I was pretty sure it was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 326June 21, 2023 12:15 PM

I guessed that too, r326.

by Anonymousreply 327June 21, 2023 1:24 PM

Tym, the cute but dim crypto-bro has a Fox News profile for some reason. Maybe a crypto talking head?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328June 21, 2023 8:48 PM

Also, Ben has a nice bod.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329June 21, 2023 8:54 PM

“What is a duck?”

LOL

by Anonymousreply 330June 21, 2023 10:31 PM

Why hasn't last night's awful episode been posted on youtube??

by Anonymousreply 331June 21, 2023 10:43 PM

Ben is very lucky. I do hope his luck runs out tonight.

by Anonymousreply 332June 21, 2023 11:15 PM

Ben's arms look too small for his body. Cute guy with a nice chest, though.

by Anonymousreply 333June 22, 2023 1:16 AM

Has Ben managed to amass the lowest dollar amount ever for a four day champion?

by Anonymousreply 334June 22, 2023 1:41 AM

Totally got FJ right.

It seemed todays game was a bit better. They answered a lot more questions than yesterdays’ brain trust.

by Anonymousreply 335June 22, 2023 1:42 AM

I was expecting Ben to have hair on his chest - not black paint on his chest.

by Anonymousreply 336June 22, 2023 1:46 AM

If he gets to TOC, he'll be decimated.

by Anonymousreply 337June 22, 2023 1:57 AM

R337, He may as well not even unpack.

by Anonymousreply 338June 22, 2023 2:11 AM

He’s averaging about $9,500 a day, r334. It’s not a sum to write home about. He won’t reach $100,000 until his 11th win.

by Anonymousreply 339June 22, 2023 7:54 AM

If Ben wins his 5th game and gets in the Tournament, he will probably be the lowest scoring contestant ever to make the ToC.

by Anonymousreply 340June 22, 2023 8:15 AM

At least he seems to have a sense of humor about it.

by Anonymousreply 341June 22, 2023 12:03 PM

Has there ever been a Final Jeopardy where two contestants were in the red and weren't allowed to play ? If not, I think it's coming sooner than we think.

by Anonymousreply 342June 22, 2023 2:40 PM

R342, Yes, it has happened that only one player was eligible for FJ.

by Anonymousreply 343June 22, 2023 3:42 PM

R343 How did it play out ? Did they crown him / her the winner, or did they have the contestant still play FJ by their self ?

by Anonymousreply 344June 22, 2023 3:50 PM

I'd think they'd allow the solo winner to possibly increase their winnings.

by Anonymousreply 345June 22, 2023 4:18 PM

I vaguely recall a solo Final, if not they'd have to give the person a chance to increase winnings.

by Anonymousreply 346June 22, 2023 4:49 PM

Next week we will see a show that ends with all three contestants in the red and Mayim and Johnny Gilbert in tears.

by Anonymousreply 347June 22, 2023 4:53 PM

R344 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348June 22, 2023 4:57 PM

It’s almost like Jeopardy has gotten Wheel of Fortune’s contestants by mistake.

by Anonymousreply 349June 22, 2023 5:00 PM

You could win with one dollah!

by Anonymousreply 350June 22, 2023 6:33 PM

R348 Thank you for that !

by Anonymousreply 351June 22, 2023 6:41 PM

James H. talks Jeopardy! and his rivalry with Ken.

Apparently he really likes Mattea as an opponent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352June 22, 2023 7:20 PM

We have another five-time champ this season. Please feel free to make your own jokes.

by Anonymousreply 353June 22, 2023 11:34 PM

Talk about limping across the finish line.

by Anonymousreply 354June 22, 2023 11:43 PM

That wasn't as bad a game as we've been seeing and Ben had some decent, if not brilliant, competition. It all came down to the betting in the end.

by Anonymousreply 355June 22, 2023 11:48 PM

$49K in 5 wins is just sad.

by Anonymousreply 356June 22, 2023 11:58 PM

These three were pretty evenly matched, and it was the best of Ben's games. Andrea did well getting FJ. I was way off on the wrong continent and guessed Metternich.

by Anonymousreply 357June 23, 2023 4:25 AM

This game was pretty good. Best we've seen so far this week.

I had high hopes that Dan and his flamboyant bow tie would oust Ben.

by Anonymousreply 358June 23, 2023 7:25 AM

Cris Pannullo, watch out. Ben is coming for you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359June 23, 2023 7:28 AM

Between the 6-day champ who couldn't win a total of more than $100,000 a couple of weeks ago and this guy who still hasn't cracked the $50,000 mark yet, the TOC will be an epic battle of the pipsqueeks.

by Anonymousreply 360June 23, 2023 10:31 AM

Are Cris Panullo, Suresh and Ben the only contenders so far for the ToC?

by Anonymousreply 361June 23, 2023 12:58 PM

I was rooting for Dan - he came from my state (RI) and gave good competition.

by Anonymousreply 362June 23, 2023 2:53 PM

Yes! Maybe Ben can scrape his total winnings together to buy a new bike.

by Anonymousreply 363June 23, 2023 11:30 PM

Knew Final before she finished reading the question. Alaska was a state in nineteen fifty nine, so QE II was also incredibly obvious. Boer War was a Victorian event. Visited the washington zoo when the pandas were a novelty, so got Ling Ling also.

Liked Ben well enough, but time for a new champ. Disliked the Canadian challenger, glad he blew it.

by Anonymousreply 364June 24, 2023 12:03 AM

“Alaska was a state in nineteen fifty nine, so QE II was also incredibly obvious.”

Ben’s “Victoria” response was guffaw inducing.

by Anonymousreply 365June 24, 2023 12:25 AM

Although I feel like they missed a lot of super easy clues this is the first game in quite a while that I haven't felt like I wanted to strangle every single one of the contestants.

by Anonymousreply 366June 24, 2023 12:53 AM

I was quite charmed by Donna and I'm glad she won.

by Anonymousreply 367June 24, 2023 12:59 AM

Also yesterday I feel like when they accepted chainmail for chain letter that that was maybe a mistake but I'm curious is there ever been a show other than this one where Not only was their two clues with the same acceptable answer but within the same category.

by Anonymousreply 368June 24, 2023 1:00 AM

Donna reminded me of a young Sandy Duncan (for those old enough to remember Sandy Duncan).

by Anonymousreply 369June 24, 2023 1:07 AM

R369, Sandy Duncan is alive and well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370June 24, 2023 1:14 AM

Yeah, the answer in FJ included the Easter egg clue Pioneers, another of Cather's novels, O, Pioneers!

by Anonymousreply 371June 24, 2023 2:48 AM

I second guessed myself on Cather because the use of pioneers made me think it was too obvious.

by Anonymousreply 372June 24, 2023 3:23 AM

Can I just say I don’t understand Mayim’s costuming… obvious they decided on a blazer “look” fir her but she always leaves the jacket open which gives her no shape and invariably the skirt in the bottom pulls across her hips. Drives me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 373June 24, 2023 1:29 PM

Yeah, pioneers made me think of Laura Ingalls-Wilder.

by Anonymousreply 374June 24, 2023 4:47 PM

r373 I'm always distracted by Mayim's ensembles. It seems like the wardrobe department tries to minimize her massive caboose but draping a blazer over it only highlights it.

by Anonymousreply 375June 24, 2023 5:13 PM

R374 I was thinking Laura Ingalls-Wilder, too.

by Anonymousreply 376June 24, 2023 8:17 PM

Also, PBS Newshour had a story about this being the 150th anniversary of Cather’s birth—surprised Jeopardy didn’t mention it.

by Anonymousreply 377June 24, 2023 8:54 PM

Someone correct me, but I could swear that our observant hostess has bared her arms a couple of times in the past?

by Anonymousreply 378June 24, 2023 10:26 PM

I want to taste Ryan’s cheese.

by Anonymousreply 379June 27, 2023 12:52 AM

Poor cheesemonger!

by Anonymousreply 380June 27, 2023 1:55 AM

Answer: Mrs. Obama's Chimes

Question: what is Michelle's balls..err bells?

Teeheee

by Anonymousreply 381June 27, 2023 2:16 AM

Today's game was better than most recently. I'm surprised the woman from Reno did not come up with Final.

by Anonymousreply 382June 27, 2023 2:43 AM

I thought it was a good game, too.

by Anonymousreply 383June 27, 2023 3:00 AM

Caroline reminded me Jennifer Quails, whom I disliked. Surprised they couldn't get the John Major nor smallpox answers.

by Anonymousreply 384June 27, 2023 12:30 PM

Ryan was adorable - I was rooting for him all the way. He didn't disappoint that much - he did well in the end.

by Anonymousreply 385June 27, 2023 3:06 PM

Ryan seemed really kind. He smiled when choosing a category.

Very fuckable husband material. And I LOVE cheese.

by Anonymousreply 386June 27, 2023 3:56 PM

Ryan was exactly the kind of sweet-sissy I like. I know what he needs (ahem).

Last night it actually seemed like a Jeopardy game, with real, capable contestants. Not the deer-in-the-headlight underperformers of recent weeks.

by Anonymousreply 387June 27, 2023 4:07 PM

‘Jeopardy!’ contestant slams show for not paying for travel, hotel room

What is being cheap?

The iconic game show “Jeopardy!” has come under fire from one of its former contestants who claimed that he was forced to pay out of pocket for his own hotel and travel expenses while appearing on the game show.

Ben Goldstein, who appeared on the quiz show’s recent season, took to Twitter in an attempt to demand that the show become more “accessible.”

“Interesting discussion of the ‘Why doesn’t #Jeopardy pay airfare and accommodations’ question here,” tweeted Goldstein, 42. “Personally, I think covering travel/lodging would make the show more accessible to a wider range of contestants. Not everyone can afford a trip to LA with no guarantee of payback.”

Goldstein’s salacious tweet comes after a fan website dedicated to answering questions of die-hard “Jeopardy!” enthusiasts published what appears the true reason why the game show refuses to pay for travel.

“This has been a longstanding ‘Jeopardy!’ policy and has generally been presented as an issue of fairness by the show,” writes website creator Andy Saunders, citing a 1994 Oakland Tribune article.

In the article, then-contestant coordinator Kelley Carpenter says that the if they were to fly out contestants from the other side of the country, it would be unfair to those who live closer to the Culver City studio.

According to Saunders, however, those who make it past regular season play and into tournament play do have their flights and hotels paid for by the game show.

It was also revealed that even if a contestant doesn’t win, they are still awarded a stipend of up to $2,000 depending on where they place on the leaderboard.

The Post reached out to “Jeopardy!” for comment.

Several other Twitter users were in shock about the long-standing rule.

“Wow … no clue they didn’t pay your travel expenses … that’s weak,” slammed one user.

“At the *very least*, consolation prizes should be increased, to offset the costs of travel/lodging,” said a second user. “It’s kinda disappointing seeing people play well into the 5-figure range and then drop to $1,000 or $2,000 after Final.”

“I remember thinking ‘at least the $1,000 third prize would pay for the trip’, but that’s probably not true anymore,” tweeted a third person.

One user questioned if it was perhaps due to the show’s budget.

“There’s also budgetary constraints. Can you imagine the cost at the end of the season? It would be $$$ just flying a few east coasters in & out,” said the fan.

Responding to the tweet, Goldstein said that while he doesn’t have access to “Jeopardy’s!” budget, he assumes that it would cost the show about $2,500 per episode to fly people out which he says “doesn’t strike me as that much.”

This is not the first time contestants and fans have slammed the syndicated game show.

Last week, fans were in uproar after all three contestants — including Goldstein — appeared stumped over a movie mashup category.

Viewers also got salty during a Final “Jeopardy!” question that was deemed not “appropriate” as according to die-hard trivia fans, there were several answers.

Several fans were also ready to throw rocks when all three contestants were stumped by the final American geography clue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388June 27, 2023 4:29 PM

If Ben had won more money . . .

by Anonymousreply 389June 27, 2023 4:30 PM

Monday was a very good game, like Jeopardy is supposed to be like. And something we've seldom seen in recently weeks.

I was rooting for either Caroline or Ryan. Surprised Caroline couldn't come up with the Hindenburg -- an easy Final.

Donna, has now made over $40,000 in two games, something it took Ben four days to accomplish.

by Anonymousreply 390June 27, 2023 4:43 PM

I was really rooting for Ryan, one of the sweetest gay contestants in memory.

As for Ben Goldstein and that article: perhaps if he were a real champion and won champ-like money, he wouldn't be complaining.

Might I suggest he stay home and boycott the TOC games and save himself some money.

by Anonymousreply 391June 27, 2023 5:24 PM

Haven’t we know this for some time?

The contestants have to pay their way and they don’t get their money (if they win any) until their show or shows air.

Maybe if this idiot had won more money he wouldn’t be complaining. What an ass.

by Anonymousreply 392June 27, 2023 11:18 PM

So, is the new champ Chris the cutest and hottest male champ in Jeopardy! history? There are some others who have come close, but I do think maybe he takes the prize :-)

by Anonymousreply 393June 27, 2023 11:33 PM

And we have a new champ who will be sure to please all DLers!

I didn't think super handsome Chris would even make it to FJ but he very happily revived in DJ and really came through - a deserved win.

And I also guessed correctly for FJ. Really surprised the 2 ladies, especially the brainy librarian didn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 394June 27, 2023 11:35 PM

R393, Anyone else think Chris resembles Adam Kinzinger?

by Anonymousreply 395June 27, 2023 11:35 PM

He's actually much better looking, r395.

Love him but he seems a little shaky. Hope he gets it together and sticks around for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 396June 27, 2023 11:38 PM

That story about his dead brother was very sweet.

by Anonymousreply 397June 27, 2023 11:41 PM

Erin's voice got on my nerves

by Anonymousreply 398June 27, 2023 11:48 PM

R398 Donna's got on mine, glad she's gone.

by Anonymousreply 399June 28, 2023 12:00 AM

Agreed on Erin's voice. I'm surprised the good doctor rallied like that. I knew they were getting at Jungle Book, but blanked on the author's name. I did know several they didn't: Madison Square Garden, Johnson & Johnson, balsa, Antarctica, Indonesia, Nipaul, and Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 400June 28, 2023 12:04 AM

Donna reminded me of Lauren Lapkus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401June 28, 2023 12:04 AM

I really liked Mayaim's outfit, where can I find one like this?

by Anonymousreply 402June 28, 2023 12:06 AM

Donna was dressed like an extra from “Little House on the Prairie”.

by Anonymousreply 403June 28, 2023 12:12 AM

Chris!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404June 28, 2023 12:14 AM

Chris just increased the audience of gay men and straight women for JEOPARDY. He came off a little smug at times (he knows he's good looking) and even knew how to pose for his close-ups, so I hope he focuses in on the game and not his handsomeness so he sticks around for a few weeks.

The woman in the middle gave her answers as though she was talking to fist-graders. Au revoire to the librarian - happy to see her go.

by Anonymousreply 405June 28, 2023 1:37 AM

Here’s Chris’ professional page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406June 28, 2023 1:51 AM

I could tell Goldstein was a douchebag during his first appearance on the show.

by Anonymousreply 407June 28, 2023 1:57 AM

I think Chris has a fake chin.

by Anonymousreply 408June 28, 2023 2:02 AM

Goldstein = Jewish = cheap

by Anonymousreply 409June 28, 2023 2:02 AM

R408, Maybe he operated on himself.

by Anonymousreply 410June 28, 2023 2:03 AM

I have the feeling Chris has a really big bush.

by Anonymousreply 411June 28, 2023 2:20 AM

And a smelly, uncut Hungarian Catholic cock.

by Anonymousreply 412June 28, 2023 2:33 AM

Chris' professional photo looks nothing like him.

by Anonymousreply 413June 28, 2023 2:45 AM

He's Hungarian ?

by Anonymousreply 414June 28, 2023 2:50 AM

I can attest that Jeopardy! does not pay for travel unless you win and come back to a second round of taping. They tape on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, you can feasibly come on Tuesday, get chosen for the last game that day and win, then stay another night and play the next day. All your expenses would be on you.

Were you to win all five games on Wednesday, the show pays for your return for the next day.

I was "local," so all I had to do was drive to Culver City twice – once on a Wednesday, then back the following Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 415June 28, 2023 2:51 AM

R414 He's not East Asian, so I suspect the last name Ban means he is Hungarian. Most Hungarians are Catholics, and he went to Notre Dame.

by Anonymousreply 416June 28, 2023 2:52 AM

I think Dr Ban would happily make any one of us his 'bitch'. I'd happily oblige. I'd love to see him nude with just cowboy boots on.

by Anonymousreply 417June 28, 2023 2:59 AM

His interests. are blues piano, fighting Irish football, and other hetero pursuits. Not a gay flag to be seen.

by Anonymousreply 418June 28, 2023 3:53 AM

Finally, some long overdue champion eye candy. Dr. Chris, to me, isn't Cris Pannullo-level hot, but still very handsome. Erin never flinched, nerves of steel, and I was certain Donna knew Kipling, so I thought he was toast... Good surprising game.

by Anonymousreply 419June 28, 2023 4:12 AM

R419, How could a librarian not get Kipling, but an oral/facial surgeon could?

by Anonymousreply 420June 28, 2023 4:37 AM

If Chris had been a Cub Scout he'd definitely know Kipling. Donna must have blanked, quite unexpectedly.

by Anonymousreply 421June 28, 2023 4:49 AM

I agree with R413 that Chris’ professional photo looks vastly different than how he looked on the show.

It appears he’s in business with his father, another oral/facial surgeon with the same last name.

That has to be an old photo and he’s definitely had a makeover since, especially his hair.

He had too many clothes on last evening, no need for the t-shirt under the dress shirt under the blazer.

by Anonymousreply 422June 28, 2023 4:50 AM

More reportage on Chris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423June 28, 2023 4:59 AM

Separated at birth:

Chris Ban and Adam Kinzinger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424June 28, 2023 5:18 AM

He has accepted a blowjob from a man at least once. I can tell.

by Anonymousreply 425June 28, 2023 11:50 AM

I noticed the tee shrt under the dress shirt, too. He needs to lose the tee and show us more chest - hairy or smooth ? I'm guessing slightly hairy.

by Anonymousreply 426June 28, 2023 1:11 PM

Can I just say - I don't think any of these still photos capture Dr. Chris' hotness. He definitely looks better in motion.

by Anonymousreply 427June 28, 2023 1:11 PM

[quote]Finally, some long overdue champion eye candy. Dr. Chris, to me, isn't Cris Pannullo-level hot, but still very handsome. Erin never flinched, nerves of steel, and I was certain Donna knew Kipling, so I thought he was toast... Good surprising game.

Yes, and Chris did so poorly in the Jeopardy! round, especially at the beginning, that I feared he might never catch up. But of course, that has happened before. I think he's about equally as hot as Pannullo, though it's obviously a very different look.

[quote]Can I just say - I don't think any of these still photos capture Dr. Chris' hotness. He definitely looks better in motion.

Yes, because of his body language, and also his voice is very masculine and hot. I would say those are two things he has over Pannullo.

by Anonymousreply 428June 28, 2023 2:26 PM

I prefer Cris to Chris but when a hot piece of ass wins we all win.

by Anonymousreply 429June 28, 2023 3:56 PM

😢😢😢😢😢😢.

by Anonymousreply 430June 28, 2023 8:20 PM

This was a real cliffhanger. The first good-looking man in weeks and I assumed he would be toast. Was delighted by his move up from behind (what’s HIS behind like, I wonder?) So he was smart after all and not entirely cowed by the lights and cameras.

But by the end I figured since he wanted to take at least a few thousand home for his brother’s memorial, he wouldn’t gamble and probably knew little about 19th Century literature anyway. Boy, was I wrong. His comeback was epic.

by Anonymousreply 431June 28, 2023 8:27 PM

I know, r431, at home I was yelling at Chris- Don't bet anything, you don't know a thing about 19th century lit!!!

by Anonymousreply 432June 28, 2023 8:57 PM

Though you can't see it in his photos I think Chris looks a bit like a young Kurt Russell.

by Anonymousreply 433June 28, 2023 8:58 PM

[quote](what’s HIS behind like, I wonder?)

Not that I was going out of my way to check it out, but when they showed him from the side - I think it was after a commercial break - there wasn't much there to look at.

But so what? He looks fine so it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 434June 28, 2023 9:12 PM

He had a sports jacket on, r434. Reel your eyes back in.

by Anonymousreply 435June 28, 2023 9:13 PM

Sorry, but you can still get a sense if someone had a really hot ass despite wearing a jacket.

by Anonymousreply 436June 28, 2023 9:20 PM

R433 Yes, he does !

by Anonymousreply 437June 28, 2023 9:26 PM

Oh, the cute ones never last.

by Anonymousreply 438June 28, 2023 11:55 PM

RIP - Dr. Christopher Ban

June 27, 2023 - June 28, 2023

by Anonymousreply 439June 29, 2023 12:01 AM

Cruise with a hairy chest award? Loud ringing of the Clue Phone there!

Bryan knew a lot, decent player. They were potted plants. Runaway.

by Anonymousreply 440June 29, 2023 12:01 AM

There's something creepy about the new champ. Can't put my finger on it.

by Anonymousreply 441June 29, 2023 12:23 AM

butt, I would bet he would allow you to run your fingers through it!

by Anonymousreply 442June 29, 2023 1:03 AM

Dame Emma Watson!

by Anonymousreply 443June 29, 2023 2:14 AM

R443 I know!🙄

by Anonymousreply 444June 29, 2023 2:30 AM

Sorry to see Chris go so quickly but not really surprised. Oh well......

But I like the new champ! At times he seemed so knowledgeable in a wide range of subjects and at times....not so much. I do hope he wears an open collared shirt tomorrow so we can get a peek at the award-winning hairiness beneath and below.

by Anonymousreply 445June 29, 2023 2:43 AM

LOL R443

by Anonymousreply 446June 29, 2023 3:55 AM

It had to be a gay cruise, hadn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 447June 29, 2023 4:14 AM

So, Chris went home to Pittsburgh with $15,000.00 for his deceased brother.

Minus taxes, air fare, hotel, meals, etc.

by Anonymousreply 448June 29, 2023 10:24 AM

Chris is a doctor. Surely he could pass. around the hat at the hospital and get 15K in a lunch. hour.

FJ. was ridiculously easy.

by Anonymousreply 449June 29, 2023 11:48 AM

[quote]So, Chris went home to Pittsburgh with $15,000.00 for his deceased brother. Minus taxes, air fare, hotel, meals, etc.

I doubt his meals and hotel fare was that expensive for one day. Hopefully he got a good deal on airfare (with a great CPA he can write this trip off as a business expense.)

Minus taxes, he still walks away with a good chunk of money for his brother's memorial charity - more than before he started with.

by Anonymousreply 450June 29, 2023 2:24 PM

Sadly, not a surprise that cute Chris did not last.

Meanwhile, Bryan and his award-winning hairy chest were very impressive. I suspect he'll be around for a few games. Wednesday's game, it was like he had no competition at all.

Easiest Final in quite a while.

by Anonymousreply 451June 29, 2023 4:57 PM

I was hoping Chris would've unbuttoned his shirt to show his hairy or hairless chest. From the wide angle shot when Mayiam , the middle contestant, and Bryan were laughing at his story, Chris was just looking down at the podium. Didn't even crack a smile - he had no interest in participating in the hairy chest gay convo.

by Anonymousreply 452June 29, 2023 6:27 PM

Maybe he was thinking of his own hairy body.

by Anonymousreply 453June 29, 2023 10:40 PM

According to the Internet, Chris Ban is 40 years old.

by Anonymousreply 454June 29, 2023 10:44 PM

Bryan gives me the creeps. He seems full of himself, and lots of cheeseburgers.

by Anonymousreply 455June 29, 2023 11:03 PM

If Playgirl was still around, I'd like them to offer a Chris a centerfold. He's probably very hairy.

by Anonymousreply 456June 29, 2023 11:13 PM

I guessed Ed Wood also for Final, never saw Titanic myself.

I'm listing several I knew they didn't as these seemed relatively obvious to me: Pinocchio, Victoria & Albert museum, Latvia, Leiden, Italy, Zanzibar, Pepin and RICO. Same for you guys?

by Anonymousreply 457June 30, 2023 12:01 AM

I thought for sure FJ was “Toy Story”.

by Anonymousreply 458June 30, 2023 12:53 AM

Why TOY STORY? What female character in that would have fit the clue?

by Anonymousreply 459June 30, 2023 1:05 AM

I saw Titanic. The clue was difficult.

by Anonymousreply 460June 30, 2023 1:16 AM

Brian's turkey imitation demonstrated superior tongue, lip and throat skills. {insert your joke here}

by Anonymousreply 461June 30, 2023 2:12 AM

I'm shocked that none of them knew Guggenheim.

by Anonymousreply 462June 30, 2023 2:17 AM

I guessed GHOST for FJ, too.

Chris Ban has the perfect "Playgirl centerfold" look from the 80s and 90s. I think he would be smooth with a faint trail to his trimmed pubic bush and a nice, firm erection.

by Anonymousreply 463June 30, 2023 2:38 AM

Chris sure looks good for 40 ... or for any age. Tenysa reminded me a bit of young Diane Keaton, Alicia seemed nice but her upspeak was deadly, and Mayim's hair looked lovely tonight.

Beatrice Wood was involved in the love triangle with Marcel Duchamp and Henri-Pierre Roché that inspired the novel and Truffaut film "Jules and Jim." She wasn't on The Titanic, but her cosmopolitan life in Europe inspired James Cameron when he wrote the character of Rose. Wood was 104 when the movie was released, but only watched the first half, as she felt "it was too late in life to be sad."

by Anonymousreply 464June 30, 2023 4:27 AM

I was going to comment on Brian before I read your assessment, R463. It got me all worked up. I vote big bush on Chris though.

by Anonymousreply 465June 30, 2023 4:28 AM

Reminds me of Deke Anderson in the 80s…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466June 30, 2023 4:32 AM

Deke Anderson had short term roles on Days of our Lives and General Hospital.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467June 30, 2023 4:40 AM

I agree with R455 that Bryan gives me the creeps. I’m ready for someone else to become the new champ.

by Anonymousreply 468June 30, 2023 11:08 AM

R459, Woody is trans. You hadn’t heard?

by Anonymousreply 469June 30, 2023 11:18 AM

Tonight is the last of Mayim for 2023?

by Anonymousreply 470June 30, 2023 1:41 PM

[quote]Beatrice Wood was involved in the love triangle with Marcel Duchamp and Henri-Pierre Roché that inspired the novel and Truffaut film "Jules and Jim." She wasn't on The Titanic, but her cosmopolitan life in Europe inspired James Cameron when he wrote the character of Rose. Wood was 104 when the movie was released, but only watched the first half, as she felt "it was too late in life to be sad."

Hence the biggest, fatal flaw of Cameron's TITANIC film. Of ALL the characters he might have centered his story around -- real-life, fictional, or a combination of the two -- he came up with these.

by Anonymousreply 471June 30, 2023 1:54 PM

I’ve got no problem with Jack and Rose. It’s the cartoon villain Cal who ruins the film.

by Anonymousreply 472June 30, 2023 2:41 PM

Yes, Cal is the biggest single flaw in the film, and does almost single-handedly ruin it. But I do think too much time is spent on Jack and Rose at the expense of other real-life characters.

by Anonymousreply 473June 30, 2023 2:45 PM

R470 Yes. She was supposed to go for two more weeks (then the season ends and goes into reruns) but apparently, the final two weeks of filming started the first week of May when the writers went on strike. She decided she wanted to support the writers and stay off the show, so KJ stepped in for the final two weeks. He will be with us until July 14. So it looks like JEOPARDY films two months in advance, if the eps from the first week of May will be airing the first week of July.

by Anonymousreply 474June 30, 2023 4:46 PM

Jeopardy! typically airs new episodes through the end of July/first week of August. Then it airs 6 weeks of repeats until the start of the new season.

Don't know why this year would be any different, so I assume we have another month of new episodes.

by Anonymousreply 475June 30, 2023 5:03 PM

Bryan pulled off a runaway. I do think he'll be around for a while.

I knew RICO and Pinocchio and quite a few others clues no one else did.

However, I guessed Ghost for Final, thanks to the "ceramics" part of the clue, thinking of the Ghost pottery wheel scene. There really wasn't much of anything in that clue to lead you to Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 476June 30, 2023 5:06 PM

R475 Not sure. I just recall when she left the first week of May when the writers went on strike, it was said she had two weeks left to film the last episodes of the current season. However, KJ was available so he was willing to fill in for her to cover those last two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 477June 30, 2023 5:07 PM

[quote] Tenysa reminded me a bit of young Diane Keaton.

Me too, R464. Specifically Annie Hall-era Keaton.

by Anonymousreply 478June 30, 2023 5:12 PM

Well, here we are with another inevitable One Win Wonder for Monday.

I don't know why you all found Bryan "creepy". I thought he was a hot bear with a sweet smile and nice eyes.

by Anonymousreply 479June 30, 2023 11:52 PM

R479 is spot on!

by Anonymousreply 480July 1, 2023 12:27 AM

Alaina, who looks like Alice Pearce (the original Mrs. Kravitz from 'Bewitched'), is the new winner !

by Anonymousreply 481July 1, 2023 1:24 AM

Ilena not Alaina.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 482July 1, 2023 1:31 AM

I get Alice Ghostley vibes from her.

by Anonymousreply 483July 1, 2023 1:39 AM

Ilena looks a bit like the chinawoman married to Mitch McConnell

by Anonymousreply 484July 1, 2023 1:52 AM

So, tonight one of those potted plants actually won!

by Anonymousreply 485July 1, 2023 2:15 AM

It was a boring show.

by Anonymousreply 486July 1, 2023 2:29 AM

A total of $17000 was earned. It’s as if the double jeopardy round did not occur at all.

by Anonymousreply 487July 1, 2023 2:57 AM

I'd spotted Bryan as a multiple-week winner. I guess not.

by Anonymousreply 488July 1, 2023 2:59 AM

Is Bryan gay? I mean, I know, with his hairy chest contest, one would think so,,,,but has it been officially determined? He seemed to be wearing a wedding band, not that that means anything.

You can all have Chris, Give me Bryan!

by Anonymousreply 489July 1, 2023 3:02 AM

Bryan screwed up his bet on the last DD. He could have been out of reach even if Mrs. Kravitz grabbed the last $800 (which she did), but he bet too little and she could catch him.

by Anonymousreply 490July 1, 2023 4:06 AM

They were pretty evenly matched. I had no idea for FJ, so can't snark about the low winnings.

Mayim seemed genuinely amused by Bryan's show biz antics. Maybe she can get him a spot on her next sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 491July 1, 2023 4:28 AM

I loved that Venn Diagram category!!!!! (raucous laughter)

by Anonymousreply 492July 1, 2023 7:25 AM

[quote]He seemed to be wearing a wedding band, not that that means anything.

This is going to come to a complete shock to you, R489, but gay couples who marry actually wear wedding bands. Isn't that a kick in the ass ? Married gay men wear wedding bands! Whod'a thunk it ?

by Anonymousreply 493July 1, 2023 12:14 PM

Ken's back!

by Anonymousreply 494July 3, 2023 10:46 PM

Some of these categories were epic fails like Books by Chapter and Words within Words.

by Anonymousreply 495July 3, 2023 11:31 PM

I knew it was obviously wrong but the only thing I could come up with for FJ was tank tops.

by Anonymousreply 496July 3, 2023 11:32 PM

R496, In the 1940s?

by Anonymousreply 497July 3, 2023 11:43 PM

It was refreshing to have tonight’s show hosted by Ken.

by Anonymousreply 498July 3, 2023 11:45 PM

I didn't get all of them, but Books by Chapter wasn't bad. I'm so happy to have snappy Ken back, so we don't have to wait an eternity for answers to be confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 499July 4, 2023 12:28 AM

Thought the new champ would ace the Books category, but as a TV editor, he probably. doesn't read.

by Anonymousreply 500July 4, 2023 12:33 AM

The new champ (who I like very much and was rooting for from the beginning) looks like an Asian Al Franken. I hope he goes pretty far - he seemed confident enough but not annoyingly so. Felt bad for Ilena - she'd spit out an answer every now and then, and it was usually wrong.

by Anonymousreply 501July 4, 2023 1:43 AM

R501, Ilena’s “From Russia With Love” response caused me to guffaw.

by Anonymousreply 502July 4, 2023 1:52 AM

Stephen King. would have been embarrassed for her.

by Anonymousreply 503July 4, 2023 2:00 AM

Answering that Biden was 80 in 2012 was ridiculous. And then the others weren’t able to guess.

by Anonymousreply 504July 4, 2023 2:02 AM

I was dumbfounded by the Biden guess for 2012. Was she for real ?

by Anonymousreply 505July 4, 2023 2:14 AM

Ilena did come across as a very sweet lady, the very definition of a spinster school marm type. I think the new champ will be with us for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 506July 4, 2023 3:13 AM

Ilina came across as closeted lesbian who had no choice 45 years ago than to become a teacher , librarian, or nun.

by Anonymousreply 507July 4, 2023 12:05 PM

What does Troll 6066 mean? Can we make it go away?

by Anonymousreply 508July 4, 2023 6:15 PM

I really like Elliot. Glad he won. I also think he'll be around for a while.

Ilena definitely dressed the part of a school marm and came across as harsh and severe. She didn't smile during Johnny's opening introduction, which left me cold to her. Not sorry to see her leave.

I guessed bobby socks for Final, but figured it was wrong since I associate those more with the 1950s. Imagine my surprise it was right!

by Anonymousreply 509July 4, 2023 10:08 PM

How old was she?. She referred to a high school teacher she had in the ‘90s. I yelled at the tv, bitch please, unless you’re referring to the [bold]1890s[/bold], I don’t think so…

by Anonymousreply 510July 4, 2023 10:13 PM

“I really like Elliot. Glad he won. I also think he'll be around for a while.“

😢

by Anonymousreply 511July 4, 2023 10:15 PM

“I guessed bobby socks for Final, but figured it was wrong since I associate those more with the 1950s.”

The bobbysoxers went crazy for Sinatra in the 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 512July 4, 2023 10:17 PM

Ileana was definitely one of those "how did they win(?)" contestants.

by Anonymousreply 513July 4, 2023 10:17 PM

Elliott really has us fooled, didn't he?

Also, I don't think it was fair to accept Air for Herr from the other fellow.

by Anonymousreply 514July 4, 2023 11:34 PM

The two male contestants were pretty disappointing but I admit I had no idea about FJ.

by Anonymousreply 515July 4, 2023 11:49 PM

The penguin lady came to win.

by Anonymousreply 516July 4, 2023 11:57 PM

There's always one category that is an epic fail and tonight it was the festivals one.

by Anonymousreply 517July 5, 2023 12:18 AM

I'm also shocked at how little they knew about science.

by Anonymousreply 518July 5, 2023 12:19 AM

Who doesn’t know that Gilbert Stuart painted portraits of George Washington?

by Anonymousreply 519July 5, 2023 12:30 AM

After yesterday's game I thought for sure Elliot was going to put up a good fight, but boy did he disappoint.

I don't know why, but I'm not a fan of Penguin Lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520July 5, 2023 12:39 AM

Couldn't believe none of them could make an educated guess at the Running of the Bulls. That new champ was sharp yet she (as well as the losers) missed some easy ones.

by Anonymousreply 521July 5, 2023 1:00 AM

The Alaska answer is what did Elliot in. He just couldn't gain any ground.

by Anonymousreply 522July 5, 2023 1:19 AM

I guessed Vivaldi, but was clearly wrong.

by Anonymousreply 523July 5, 2023 1:20 AM

Something odd about the new champ. Something about her eyes and the eyebrows. CP or on the spectrum?

by Anonymousreply 524July 5, 2023 1:28 AM

What is CP r524?

by Anonymousreply 525July 5, 2023 2:49 AM

Sad to see Elliott crash and burn. Strange days at Jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 526July 5, 2023 4:14 AM

R525-Cerebral Palsy

by Anonymousreply 527July 5, 2023 4:51 AM

I also guessed Four Seasons, but Vivaldi was in Italy at the time, not Germany.

by Anonymousreply 528July 5, 2023 5:24 AM

Elliot certainly crashed and burned quickly. All over Baked Alaska.

Chuck kept building up his total on the low money clues and then loosing it all on the big money clues.

Kate was surprisingly good. But from now on, I'm not going to make any predictions about how long she, or anyone else, will stick around. We see how good my prediction about Elliot was.

I had no idea on Final.

by Anonymousreply 529July 5, 2023 7:31 AM

I guessed correctly on FJ, but it was a shot in the dark. Couldn't. think of many pieces that were. referred to. by a proper. name.

by Anonymousreply 530July 5, 2023 11:56 AM

I knew Kate had it when they deducted both Elliot and Chuck's scores.

by Anonymousreply 531July 5, 2023 3:15 PM

Actually, Kate was way ahead in the first 10 minutes of the game and the 2 fellas never came close.

by Anonymousreply 532July 5, 2023 5:52 PM

Another.shocking win. tonight! Had NO idea of FJ.

by Anonymousreply 533July 6, 2023 12:01 AM

The guy should have bet nothing! With that category, it's what I would have done.

by Anonymousreply 534July 6, 2023 12:22 AM

Is the returning champ tonight does she have like no arms?I thought all last night she was holding him behind her back but it looks like she might not have any but I honestly can't tell

by Anonymousreply 535July 6, 2023 12:35 AM

The "Look, Ma! No arms!" effect was disturbing, indeed! Knew several they didn't including the immediate "stumpers": Seville oranges and fugu fish. Guessed Eswatini for final, knowing it was one of them.

by Anonymousreply 536July 6, 2023 1:23 AM

Several misses tonight were so egregious that I yelled at the TV and scared my cat.

by Anonymousreply 537July 6, 2023 1:23 AM

me too r534

I was thinking that is what I would do

by Anonymousreply 538July 6, 2023 1:27 AM

Yeah I couldn't come up with anything for FJ. Kate sure disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 539July 6, 2023 1:47 AM

I thought Final was easy. There are only three monarchies in Africa and two of them (Morocco and Eswatini) have coastlines. That left only Lesotho.

by Anonymousreply 540July 6, 2023 2:30 AM

I guessed Burundi. Lame game.

by Anonymousreply 541July 6, 2023 4:35 AM

So, Aubrey was wearing a sweater with holes in it? Surprised Jeopardy! crew let him go on air looking like that.

I had no idea on Final.

by Anonymousreply 542July 6, 2023 7:47 AM

I must be uneducated, I've never heard. of Lesotho.

by Anonymousreply 543July 6, 2023 11:20 AM

Eswatini is landlocked, R540.

by Anonymousreply 544July 6, 2023 12:41 PM

R544 Jeopardy (and its threads here) is "educational", I didn't know that Swaziland had been re-named.

by Anonymousreply 545July 6, 2023 3:07 PM

Another one day wonder steps to the plate.

by Anonymousreply 546July 6, 2023 3:09 PM

FJ was easy. Alex seems pleasant enough.

by Anonymousreply 547July 6, 2023 11:58 PM

I was hoping Carol would prove the Little Engine That Could. FJ was obvious, and I've never read the book.

Knew Coquilles St. Jacques is made with scallops.

by Anonymousreply 548July 7, 2023 12:30 AM

I think Alex has staying power. Wonder what kind of MD he is.

by Anonymousreply 549July 7, 2023 1:27 AM

I agree that Alex probably has staying power, and I think he's quite good looking.

by Anonymousreply 550July 7, 2023 2:02 AM

I think Alex said he missed his medical school graduation to tape Jeopardy, so he just finished med school. Next he will be matched with a hospital or clinic to do his residency/residencies and become a "kind of MD."

by Anonymousreply 551July 7, 2023 2:33 AM

That old lady was so sweet and spunky and gave a good game. But she should have known Las Ramblas is in Barcelona on her DJ.

by Anonymousreply 552July 7, 2023 2:40 AM

I agree that Alex is good looking and will probably be around for a bit, but I was also rooting for Granny because she would have been such an atypical champ had she won.

I knew FJ as well even though I never read the book, but it's not as if there are a lot of rabbit novels to pick from.

How is it that no one knew Singapore for the Asian city-state?

by Anonymousreply 553July 7, 2023 3:33 PM

[quote]I knew FJ as well even though I never read the book, but it's not as if there are a lot of rabbit novels to pick from.

I also knew it, though I've never read the book, just based on my memory of the logo for the movie, which featured a rabbit.

by Anonymousreply 554July 7, 2023 4:57 PM

What was the final jeopardy question (Missed the show)

by Anonymousreply 555July 7, 2023 5:31 PM

Look it up, honey. Ain’t nobody got it memorized for you.

by Anonymousreply 556July 7, 2023 5:37 PM

Based on last night and tonight, the producers must have interns scouring nursing homes all over Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 557July 7, 2023 6:00 PM

FJ: 20th-century novel that no one has read and it has rabbits on the cover

by Anonymousreply 558July 7, 2023 6:02 PM

I haven't read it, but I immediately knew the answer to Final was Watership Down because it had those rabbits on the cover. That book was heavily promoted when it came out in late 1972 andthroughout1973 and again when the paperback was released.

I like Alex a lot. Glad he won, but I also liked Granny.

by Anonymousreply 559July 7, 2023 8:55 PM

Brad Rutter dishes on the rivalry between him and Ken and James.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560July 7, 2023 9:32 PM

Poor Grandpa ... other challenger very annoying, so pleased Champ won. Final was another giveaway.

I could swear Alex said fluorine for toothpaste ingredient? Did I hear wrong, or was that the correct answer instead of fluoride?

by Anonymousreply 561July 8, 2023 12:03 AM

R561, Fluorine is correct.

by Anonymousreply 562July 8, 2023 12:08 AM

R561 . . .

“Fluorine is a chemical element with the symbol F and atomic number 9.”

by Anonymousreply 563July 8, 2023 12:10 AM

Brad's a hot dish

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564July 8, 2023 12:10 AM

I've always thought Brad was attractive.

by Anonymousreply 565July 8, 2023 12:28 AM

Winner of The Chase this week was a gayling (and a cutie) who was once a Jeopardy teen contestant.

by Anonymousreply 566July 8, 2023 1:22 AM

I also thought I heard Grandpa say Hassam Hussein. But he lost miserably anyway so who cares?

by Anonymousreply 567July 8, 2023 3:11 AM

I thought the blonde lady was sexy and smart and wouldn't have minded if she'd won though I'm happiest that Alex will continue. But he doesn't strike me as particularly unbeatable.

by Anonymousreply 568July 8, 2023 3:13 AM

I missed Enigma like Raquel. And James Bond's gun.

by Anonymousreply 569July 8, 2023 5:29 AM

I was happy that Cathy lost so that she could get back to that funeral or whatever. Crack a smile already. I would like to marry Alex, medical debt and all.

by Anonymousreply 570July 10, 2023 2:13 AM

Oh Alex.

Very disappointed in your brazen and unnecessary move tonight.

I like the fit fat new champ though so I'm all in for tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 571July 11, 2023 12:01 AM

[quote]Oh Alex. Very disappointed in your brazen and unnecessary move tonight.

Yeah, that was very surprising and, as it turned out, very unfortunate. On another note, I was surprised that BOTH the new champ and the woman misread Final Jeopardy and supplied only one name in their answers.

by Anonymousreply 572July 11, 2023 12:05 AM

The FJ clue was very badly phrased because it seemed to only be asking for the elder artist. I knew the answer, but would have also only written down Monet (even knowing the younger artist was Manet).

If anyone is able to quote the exact wording of that clue I'd be interested to read it again and be proven wrong.

by Anonymousreply 573July 11, 2023 12:18 AM

Why do most women contestants fail to understand that finding the DJs can only help them? They often seem to choose the lowest amounts first. I've noticed this as a trend; am I imagining things?.

by Anonymousreply 574July 11, 2023 12:21 AM

R573, I knew that it was asking for both artists.

Alex must not be a baseball fan if he doesn’t know Tommy John.

by Anonymousreply 575July 11, 2023 12:22 AM

I thought it was rather a trick medical question Alex blew his bucks on.

by Anonymousreply 576July 11, 2023 12:32 AM

[quote]The FJ clue was very badly phrased because it seemed to only be asking for the elder artist.

No, it did not. I don't remember the exact wording, but it definitely said something like "these two men" or "these two artists."

by Anonymousreply 577July 11, 2023 12:42 AM

Alex bet all that money, confident that the category was medical, but the response needed some knowledge of sports.

by Anonymousreply 578July 11, 2023 12:50 AM

Alex got screwed because he thought it would be a medical question and it was more of a baseball question. Final Jeopardy was terribly phrased. I made my husband rewind so I could go back and look at it because I thought it was only asking for the elder of the two. Even after reading it a few times I still thought it was ambiguous. Obviously it was, as two of the contestants misread it as well and they didn’t have the benefit of parsing it at length.

by Anonymousreply 579July 11, 2023 1:22 AM

And R574 I’ve noticed that too. They tend to go in order instead of trying to be strategic about finding the double Jeopardys.

by Anonymousreply 580July 11, 2023 1:23 AM

What also was off about the FJ clue: in the response you didn't even have to say which of the two artists was the elder. Which seemed to be an essential aspect of the clue.

by Anonymousreply 581July 11, 2023 1:35 AM

I can. be. pretty dim, but I got that they wanted. two names. Had they only wanted one, I would have been screwed.

Poor champ, he went for the greed. Even if he thought he would ace it, he should have bet lowt o hold on to his lead.

by Anonymousreply 582July 11, 2023 1:58 AM

Tommy John surgery is so well known; I’m shocked Alex didn’t know it. Reckless move on his part; he assumed he would answer correctly.

Ken Jennings didn’t help when he said something like “this is your category”.

by Anonymousreply 583July 11, 2023 4:40 AM

Tommy John Surgery (ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction) is common knowledge as much as Lou Gehrig’s Disease (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) is. It is unbelievable Alex didn’t know it.

by Anonymousreply 584July 11, 2023 5:12 AM

I have never heard of Tommy John or Tommy John surgery. I liked all three contestants, and, given the category and the chance to put the game away, understood why Alex made a huge DD wager.

FJ: At the 1865 Paris art salon, the elder of these 2 men said if the younger were successful, it would be “because his name sounds like mine”

I named both artists, but do see why someone might not. They could have added "Name both artists" at the end of the clue.

by Anonymousreply 585July 11, 2023 5:35 AM

I, too, thought they wanted the artist quoted, not both names.

by Anonymousreply 586July 11, 2023 6:08 AM

Ditto, here.

by Anonymousreply 587July 11, 2023 6:36 AM

Another one who was thrown by the wording of FJ. It was the easiest clue in eons. But for the life of me I couldn't figure out if it wanted Monet or Monet and Manet.

(Man did Alex's hubris cost him that game! Super easy question for even a minor baseball fan. But to bet that much when he had the game wrapped up? Yikes.)

by Anonymousreply 588July 11, 2023 8:28 AM

I guess if you're interested in Ear. Nose and Throat, you don't think much about the elbow.

by Anonymousreply 589July 11, 2023 11:05 AM

You don’t even have to be a sports fan to have heard of Tommy John surgery.

It’s mentioned often on the news, Internet news sites and social media whenever a prominent player is diagnosed with it and undergoing the surgery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590July 11, 2023 11:42 AM

And wasn't Alex already several thousand dollars ahead when he made that foolish wager? Maybe he was just ready to go home.

by Anonymousreply 591July 11, 2023 12:42 PM

[quote]I like the fit fat new champ though

Ewwww.

by Anonymousreply 592July 11, 2023 1:20 PM

If you're not a sports fan, you block out anything to do with. sports. Clearly. Alex. proves that.

by Anonymousreply 593July 11, 2023 1:41 PM

"The Elder...." of these two men. Yeah, one of the most confusing FJ in a while. I was trying to remember whether Manet or Monet was "the elder"...

It's truly hard to imagine how a new Dr would NOT know Tommy John surgery. As said upthread... it's as common as Lou Gehrig's Disease.... but he was right to bet so much for the category.

by Anonymousreply 594July 11, 2023 2:10 PM

[quote] Final Jeopardy was terribly phrased. I made my husband rewind so I could go back and look at it because I thought it was only asking for the elder of the two. Even after reading it a few times I still thought it was ambiguous. Obviously it was, as two of the contestants misread it as well and they didn’t have the benefit of parsing it at length.

Sorry, not to beat you up on this, but the phrasing of the FJ question made it clear that they were asking for names of two men, because this is how the clue read: "At the 1865 Paris Art Salon, the elder of these 2 men said if the younger were successful, it would be 'because his name sounds like mine.'"

[quote]What also was off about the FJ clue: in the response you didn't even have to say which of the two artists was the elder. Which seemed to be an essential aspect of the clue.

But the fact that you DIDN'T have to name which of the two men was the elder only made the answer easier. I immediately thought of Monet and Manet, but I would not have been able to say which one was older.

by Anonymousreply 595July 11, 2023 4:09 PM

We totally get that you understood the clue R595. But clearly many people did have trouble with it. Multiple posters here have expressed confusion, as did two of the three actual contestants.

It's incredibly rare for one person to not understand the clue and what it's asking. The fact that so many people clearly had issue with it? Even if one those people was not you? Makes me think the question should have been clearer.

by Anonymousreply 596July 11, 2023 5:07 PM

[quote]"The Elder...." of these two men. Yeah, one of the most confusing FJ in a while. I was trying to remember whether Manet or Monet was "the elder"...

Okay, I'll give you that the inclusion of "the elder" does muddy the clue a bit, but the overriding point is that the clue still reads "the elder of these TWO men." I did have to read over the clue a couple of times to make sure they were asking for both names, but it seems clear if you just parse the question correctly when reading it.

If there were a clue that read "The elder of the two men who made up this very popular folk-rock group of the 1960s wrote most of their songs," would you not know to answer Simon & Garfunkel, and would you instead try to guess which one of them was older and only give that one's name as the answer?

by Anonymousreply 597July 11, 2023 5:25 PM

But here's the thing -

If you asked: Who was Claude Monet?

It's very clearly a reasonable question that would elicit the response in the clue. Manet doesn't need to be mentioned at all.

by Anonymousreply 598July 11, 2023 5:35 PM

New thread. This one is almost full.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599July 11, 2023 5:38 PM

Now it is full!

by Anonymousreply 600July 11, 2023 5:39 PM

Bring on the new fit fat champ!

by Anonymousreply 601July 11, 2023 5:39 PM

Help!!!!

by Anonymousreply 602July 11, 2023 5:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!