Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hillary Stands By DiFi

[QUOTE]Clinton stressed the political reality that if Feinstein resigned, Republicans likely wouldn’t allow a Democratic replacement to join the Senate Judiciary Committee, effectively preventing Dems from confirming judicial appointments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 10, 2023 4:52 PM

I love that photo of Hillary, it really captures her essence

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2023 7:20 PM

I agree with her on this. The Dems are looking at a horrible 2024 Senate map, no way in hell can they afford to lose one seat and bring the judicial appointments to a halt. Biden is already lagging behind Trump's first-term judicial appointment record.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2023 7:23 PM

Her losing the 2016 election will always be one of my biggest disappointments. I’m talking profound, gut wrenching disappointment. 😔

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2023 7:41 PM

She’s in a lot worse shape than I thought.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2023 6:51 PM

They want to put Adam Schiff in the Senate. If Feinstein resigns, Newsom (Gov. of California has promised to appoint a woman of color to the Senate. (Because he raised hackles when he appointed Alex Padilla to Kamala's seat.) They - Clinton, Pelosi, among others - would rather see Feinstein continue as a walking corpse and fill out her term so Schiff can run for the seat.

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2023 6:59 PM

Can we sue in order to overcome these obstructions? Or would that violate the separation of powers clause?

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2023 7:05 PM

Sam Seder has decoded this as a conspiracy against progressives.

Sam Seder @SamSeder

Pretty clear what is happening around Diane Feinstein’s non- retirement and its rare to see political machinations so nakedly disgusting. The lengths Pelosi will go to to prevent a progressive becoming even a temporary Senator is genuinely twisted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2023 7:15 PM

On this, Hillary is not wrong, so of course we're going to bash her for Republican intransigence.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2023 7:30 PM

Another limousine liberal who thinks she knows what’s best when in reality she doesn’t and handed asshole the win.

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2023 8:41 PM

She's useless if she isn't able to cast her vote. She needs to resign.

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2023 8:43 PM

She is casting votes, r10. That’s why Hillary says keep her.

by Anonymousreply 11May 30, 2023 10:44 AM

[quote] She is casting votes

She certainly is

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2023 10:58 AM

These people prop each other up. It's so undemocratic.

by Anonymousreply 13May 30, 2023 11:09 AM

Barbara Lee also has DiFi’s back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2023 3:49 PM

Her inider trading is a highlight.

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2023 3:57 PM

DiFi is going to d ie soon anyway. Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2023 3:59 PM

Yes she’s going to die soon, so keep her in the Senate. Great logic.

by Anonymousreply 17July 9, 2023 4:03 PM

I don’t understand. How can republicans block her replacement from joining the Judiciary committee? We have a majority in the Senate and her replacement would maintain that majority.

by Anonymousreply 18July 9, 2023 4:09 PM

They can’t do whatever they want, R18, just because they have a senate majority. The minority still has some power.

by Anonymousreply 19July 9, 2023 5:03 PM

I understand r19, but what is the mechanism by which the minority would accomplish that? (Keeping a legitimate senator off the judiciary committee.) I keep thinking about cretins like Gym Jordan getting plum assignments, etc.

by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2023 5:08 PM

This stupid situation is all Feinstein's camp's fault. She should've stopped running for office two cycles ago.

by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2023 5:11 PM

It must require a certain amount of votes, R20.

by Anonymousreply 22July 9, 2023 5:35 PM

Apparently the committee gave itself the power to require a plurality of votes to perform any structural changes, so it being split 11-10 when DiFi is present allows the Democrats to get things done with no Republican support. When she's not present, it requires one Republican to agree with the Dems for matters to move forward. Lindsay Graham says he's open to replacing DiFi if she retires, but wouldn't support a temporary appointee as DiFi requested so it didn't happen. The matter is clear, however: if DiFi were to retire and before Miss Lindsay allows a replacement a SCOTUS judge were to die or resign, they would hold the seat open until the next election by blocking any DiFi replacement. The Dems should demand a replacement (for the committee) to be named and vetted such that they would be sworn in the moment DiFi resigns (all of which depends on Miss Lindsay's concurrence). I don't see this happening. Therefor, DiFi stays in DC until January 2025.

by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2023 5:05 AM

Lindsay always somehow finds herself in the middle of everything.

by Anonymousreply 24July 10, 2023 12:01 PM

Thanks r23, that’s the answer I was looking for. So now that the committee Dems have the plurality of votes, can they change the rules about replacements?

by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2023 12:48 PM

Who in the hell is Diane Feinstein FFS?

by Anonymousreply 26July 10, 2023 1:32 PM

Feinstein is the fifth person to serve in the Senate after turning 90. Grassley will be the sixth, assuming he lives to September.

by Anonymousreply 27July 10, 2023 1:42 PM

Term limits and mandatory retirement well before the age of 90 would help prevent situations like this.

by Anonymousreply 28July 10, 2023 1:54 PM

Show some respect -- the woman lived through the War of 1812.

by Anonymousreply 29July 10, 2023 3:26 PM

She, Biden and James Madison were the original three amigos, R29.

by Anonymousreply 30July 10, 2023 4:39 PM

[quote]Show some respect -- the woman lived through the War of 1812.

As in1812 B.C. ?

by Anonymousreply 31July 10, 2023 4:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!