Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Texas wants to replace school counselors with religious chaplains

What could go wrong?

The Christofascists are taking over. They freak out over drag queens but ignore the huge number of clergy members molesting kids

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2023 2:10 AM

That ain't happening, not in public schools.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2023 4:31 PM

Wait until a Muslim or Jewish chaplin tries getting a job at a school and see where this goes.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2023 4:42 PM

I cannot wait until the various fundie factions turn on each other.

I mean, if you were an evangelical, would you really want those handwaving, Mary-worshipping catholics counseling your kids? If you were a catholic, would you want some polygamous mormons teaching your children about, well, anything?

History is replete with xtian zealots hating other xtian zealots. I just hope it happens sooner rather than later.

We need to start our own troll farms to hit their message boards and forums to start planting the seeds of dissension. How could any real xtian put up with all that Lutheran crazy talk.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2023 4:53 PM

r3 Yep, exactly this. Theocracy/theonomy simply cannot work in a pluralistic society with as many religions and denominations as the US. It's a non-starter.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2023 4:59 PM

R1, it does apply to public schools. That's Texas for ya

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2023 8:56 PM

Racing Florida to the bottom, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2023 9:19 PM

I don’t think that counselors should be totally replaced by chaplains. They have different roles. The chaplains should only be used for taking care of the spiritual needs that students have during school hours.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2023 9:22 PM

R7 Are you kidding? “Spiritual needs” belong in your chosen religious institution.

By allowing Christian chaplains in, they will have to allow Pagans, Satanist’s, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist etc. religious leaders in. Watch the screaming and hollering from Christians when this point is made clear to them.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2023 9:40 PM

R8 is correct. People who want spiritual guidance can go to church. That's why churches exist

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2023 9:45 PM

Can't wait for them to tell gay kids to kill themselves because homosexuality is a sin!

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2023 9:47 PM

There was some sane news out of Texas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2023 9:48 PM

R11, I saw that. Glad Texas Dems stood up against this shit

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2023 10:13 PM

[quote] People who want spiritual guidance can go to church.

Unless your church is literally next door, students can’t just leave school during the middle of a school day and go across town to their church and then back to school again, in order to get spiritual guidance. The chaplains would be specifically to take care of students spiritual needs during the school day, and don’t replace the student”s church or any religious resources the students have available to them at other times and places.

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2023 10:22 PM

This isn't about "spiritual guidance."

They will "counsel" kids on the evils of the gay, abstinence, how women need to let the man do as he pleases because he's the man, how the highest goal for women should be getting married and making babies and how college is a waste of time and money for them.

THAT is what they will counsel when put into schools.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2023 1:24 PM

R13 I don’t recall urgent “spiritual needs” during my school days and I am religious.

If a child is having urgent spiritual needs then their parents need to send them to the religious school of their choice or perhaps seek therapy for their child.

by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2023 2:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!